+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 951: Rampage

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Default Chapter 951: Rampage

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1003654

Might be worth getting a physical magazine or reading scans to see the double spreads in all their glory, though.

Spoiler:

Default Re: Chapter 951: Rampage

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1003654

Might be worth getting a physical magazine or reading scans to see the double spreads in all their glory, though.
    The Viz sight shows them correctly, I believe. Just need to have a good enough computer screen.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Dunno if this was mentioned in the spoiler thread, but Big Mom's mentioning of King's race (particularly in the scans) reminded me of the Five Elders going to Im to "erase the light from history." Makes me wonder if they were Im-volved in what happened to King's race.

Spoiler:

Almost Pokemon Master chaosceptor's Avatar

Dunno if this was mentioned in the spoiler thread, but Big Mom's mentioning of King's race (particularly in the scans) reminded me of the Five Elders going to Im to "erase the light from history." Makes me wonder if they were Im-volved in what happened to King's race.
    Both King and Tenguyama Kitetsu have wings, and both cover their faces with masks. King appears a lot taller. Both carry swords. Makes one wonder.
    Anything humans can imagine is a possibility in reality-Physicist Willy Karen

Reminder that we at the Obon break, so no chapter next week.

What I'm wondering is how does Big Mom know about them if they've been erased from history.

On another note, that exchange between the calamities is actually pretty funny. Poor guys are just confused about how this even happened.

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

Shonen Jump #36-37

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Haven't done one of these in ages, but there were enough things in the translations that slightly confused me that I was motivated to do it this time. However, I didn't look as closely as I sometimes do since I'm on vacation, lulz.
    • In the Mangastream version, Orochi says "You let them go?!", while in Jaimini's Box and VIZ, he's instead saying "They escaped/got away?!" Also, Fukurokuju says in MS that about capturing Law (and Luffy) that "capturing him is as good as netting both of them" (which is weird cuz as far as he knows, they DO have both of them, lulz), that "betrayal is second-nature to pirates" ; in JB, he says that "once word has spread that we have captured both of them, all of those pirates will fight amongst themselves until there are none left!", not mentioning betrayal specifically (and also implying that they plan to publicize his capture); and in VIZ, says "this means" they've captured two ringleaders (more stating it as a fact), and the second part is more similar to MS, saying "Betrayal never goes out of style" in the pirating world.
    • The official translation does not mention the Mimiwarigumi specifically at all, just saying that samurai and [his] ninja are patrolling the streets.
    • Both of the scanlations have Bepo say that Yasuie showed the altered code-drawing to the other prisoners before he died; that he added the two lines to the snake; and that this altered picture was Yasuie's last message to all of them. However, in the official version, Bepo says that "we" (as in, himself, Penguin, and Shachi) showed it to the prisoners, that "they" (presumably the prisoners themselves) added the two lines, and "it was in" Yasuie's message, which suggests that the prisoners picked up on something Yasu said that suggested the changed code, and knew how to alter the picture Bepo and co. showed to reflect that.
    • In JB, Hawkins says he feels intimidated by Law as "someone who doesn't take the future into account". In MS, he says "The threats of a man with nothing to lose do send a shiver down your spine, don't they?" VIZ has some of both of them: "The threats of a man who includes no hope in his future plans are just as dangerous as they seem."
    • In MS (and, originally, JB too), Law told his crewmates not to tell Luffy (him specifically) about him being captured (which sounded weird considering that Luffy's locked in prison as far as they know). In VIZ, and now JB too, he tells them not to tell Straw Hat-ya "and the others" about it, which fits better considering that they lied to Nami about how they got away from Hawkins.
    • MS has a goof-up where it has Ashura say that they can use the ships to take people to Wano, rather than to Onigashima. Also, MS has Inu comment about Ashura "Oh, right. Flattery doesn't work on you.", while in JB and VIZ, he states that he doesn't remember him being that attentive/thoughtful.
    • In JB, Big Mom says that King's race might have been "extinguished from history himself", implying something like a government coverup; however, in MS and VIZ, she says "lost in the mists of time". Also, she says to one of Kaido's lackeys in MS "I" told them to take off the chains. In JB and VIZ, she points out that Kaido told them to do so.
    Hidden:

Luffy said sanji is worth a thousand men in zou, now sanji wants to free a thousand men from prison. If Sanji ends up leading these men, luffy's word will become true.
    Last edited by uniaka ikuzakas; August 5th, 2019 at 12:13 AM.

This was a great chapter that got a lot out of the way really quick. We're nearly at the end of volume 94 here, with the next chapter likely being the last one, so it's going to be interesting to see what Oda does to top Big Mom vs Kaido as an end-of-volume cliffhanger.

Poor Law can't catch a break even in the colour spreads, but too bad for him, I reall like this one. Every part of it seems to be in motion. Nothing's just sitting still. It's a piece with so much energy in it, which makes it a joy to look at.

We have to be near the end of an act here with the status quo changing so dramatically in both Oden and the Capital. However, I hope that a solution is found for the imprisoned samurai before the act switches over. We don't need another whole act of building up to prison breaks. Even if the answer is just "these guys have their own plan that they'll execute on the night of the battle. And I wonder what new roles the crew is going to pick up now they're effectively barred from the Capital. Franky's role is pretty obvious, but who knows for the rest. (and speaking of Franky's role, the panel with all the decrepit ships is my favourite of the week. It's so damn detailed).

The Law situation is an odd one. It's hard to imagine what his plan is aside from trading his own life for his crew's. If we knew more about Hawkins' ability to predict the actions of people (as opposed to broad things like survival odds) we might be able to make a better guess based on his actions, but it's all still a bit vague. When his crew puts him before the plan, is that something Law expects, or are they about to get in the way? There's just not enough info right now!

Robin and Tama's moment is a cute one. I like the interpretation that Robin feels a kinship with the girl, having become a government target at a similar age.

Kaido and Big Mom's meeting was great to finally see after all this build up. We get another little hint at Rox, which we'll hopefully learn more of in the future. It's an interesting relationship the two have, where he orders her freed but a fight starts right away. Will they stop at talk after doing the obligatory conqueror's haki dick measuring contest? Will an outside factor such as news of Luffy's breakout or the arrival of Big Mom's crew interrupt things? Or will we just cut away and come back to this later (that's my bet)?

So yeah, great chapter, rough time for a magazine break, but I expect the next one to be a volume and perhaps an act finisher, so things can only get bigger and better.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    Haven't done one of these in ages, but there were enough things in the translations that slightly confused me that I was motivated to do it this time. However, I didn't look as closely as I sometimes do since I'm on vacation, lulz.
    • In the Mangastream version, Orochi says "You let them go?!", while in Jaimini's Box and VIZ, he's instead saying "They escaped/got away?!" Also, Fukurokuju says in MS that about capturing Law (and Luffy) that "capturing him is as good as netting both of them" (which is weird cuz as far as he knows, they DO have both of them, lulz), that "betrayal is second-nature to pirates" ; in JB, he says that "once word has spread that we have captured both of them, all of those pirates will fight amongst themselves until there are none left!", not mentioning betrayal specifically (and also implying that they plan to publicize his capture); and in VIZ, says "this means" they've captured two ringleaders (more stating it as a fact), and the second part is more similar to MS, saying "Betrayal never goes out of style" in the pirating world.
    • The official translation does not mention the Mimiwarigumi specifically at all, just saying that samurai and [his] ninja are patrolling the streets.
    • Both of the scanlations have Bepo say that Yasuie showed the altered code-drawing to the other prisoners before he died; that he added the two lines to the snake; and that this altered picture was Yasuie's last message to all of them. However, in the official version, Bepo says that "we" (as in, himself, Penguin, and Shachi) showed it to the prisoners, that "they" (presumably the prisoners themselves) added the two lines, and "it was in" Yasuie's message, which suggests that the prisoners picked up on something Yasu said that suggested the changed code, and knew how to alter the picture Bepo and co. showed to reflect that.
    • In JB, Hawkins says he feels intimidated by Law as "someone who doesn't take the future into account". In MS, he says "The threats of a man with nothing to lose do send a shiver down your spine, don't they?" VIZ has some of both of them: "The threats of a man who includes no hope in his future plans are just as dangerous as they seem."
    • In MS (and, originally, JB too), Law told his crewmates not to tell Luffy (him specifically) about him being captured (which sounded weird considering that Luffy's locked in prison as far as they know). In VIZ, and now JB too, he tells them not to tell Straw Hat-ya "and the others" about it, which fits better considering that they lied to Nami about how they got away from Hawkins.
    • MS has a goof-up where it has Ashura say that they can use the ships to take people to Wano, rather than to Onigashima. Also, MS has Inu comment about Ashura "Oh, right. Flattery doesn't work on you.", while in JB and VIZ, he states that he doesn't remember him being that attentive/thoughtful.
    • In JB, Big Mom says that King's race might have been "extinguished from history himself", implying something like a government coverup; however, in MS and VIZ, she says "lost in the mists of time". Also, she says to one of Kaido's lackeys in MS "I" told them to take off the chains. In JB and VIZ, she points out that Kaido told them to do so.
    Thanks for doing these!

Mangastream always feels like they don't actually like One Piece, they just translate it because it's popular. I don't mean to gatekeep or anything, but forgetting that the Wano government would know they Luffy captive, remove the reference to "taking the future into account" from the dialogue of the fortune telling character, or to get Wano and Onigashima mixed up is not the kind of thing that should be happening if you're reading week by week with any kind of attentiveness, let alone actually translating it. It always feels like they just translate line by line and fail to remember any of the context for the dialogue.

It bothers me how eagerly some people defend them because their lines sound "cooler," especially if you wander into a translation discussion on the subreddit. We deserve better than Mangastream.

There has to be something up with Law and Hawkins, otherwise this doesn't make any sense. I mean, imagine the conversation :

Law: I will sacrifice my crew to kill you, even though I'm only here to rescue them and have no particular reason to want you dead other than being on my way. But despite that, I'm also willing to exchange myself for them.

Hawkins: Oh no. Your lack of concern for the future intimidates me. I have no choice but to give up my clear advantage in exchange for basically nothing.

Like...what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    There has to be something up with Law and Hawkins, otherwise this doesn't make any sense. I mean, imagine the conversation :

Law: I will sacrifice my crew to kill you, even though I'm only here to rescue them and have no particular reason to want you dead other than being on my way. But despite that, I'm also willing to exchange myself for them.

Hawkins: Oh no. Your lack of concern for the future intimidates me. I have no choice but to give up my clear advantage in exchange for basically nothing.

Like...what?
    I think it was more Law called Hawkins' bluff and expressed a willingness to cut down his own crew. Hawkins looked at the future and saw mutually assured destruction or some other bad end for himself if this happened. He essentially saw that Law didn't care what the future consequences of attacking Hawkins would be, so long as he attacked Hawkins, rendering Hawkins' hostages useless. At a stalemate, one or the other offered the exchange. Hawkins accepted because losing the crew but getting the captain and not dying in the process was a net gain.

I'm certain there's more schemes going on than just what's on the surface, but I think that top level exchange is clear enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I think it was more Law called Hawkins' bluff and expressed a willingness to cut down his own crew. Hawkins looked at the future and saw mutually assured destruction or some other bad end for himself if this happened. He essentially saw that Law didn't care what the future consequences of attacking Hawkins would be, so long as he attacked Hawkins, rendering Hawkins' hostages useless. At a stalemate, one or the other offered the exchange. Hawkins accepted because losing the crew but getting the captain and not dying in the process was a net gain.

I'm certain there's more schemes going on than just what's on the surface, but I think that top level exchange is clear enough.
    I mean, I just don't really think Law is like that? Would he really not think about what would happen to his crew ? Again, he's there specifically to save them.

This scene alone maybe I could just let go as a little weird, but Law already inexplicably escaped Hawkins once back at the end of Act 1. There's something going on here.

Video from One Piece Staff Instagram account where we can se how Oda drew this week Color Spread

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0xyKL-h9G9/

I mean, I just don't really think Law is like that? Would he really not think about what would happen to his crew ? Again, he's there specifically to save them.

This scene alone maybe I could just let go as a little weird, but Law already inexplicably escaped Hawkins once back at the end of Act 1. There's something going on here.
    We're still talking about Law here, the guy who literally was prepared for his own death and absolute destruction since childhood and who is called The Surgeon of Death. Of course we all know, that he cares about people - but maybe there is just something around him, Hawkins can't classify...

We don't really know how Hawkins' predictions work or how much detail he sees in, so it's really hard to say exactly what he sensed from Law aside from that it led him to believe the hostages wouldn't matter. 100% agreed there are some holes in what we've been told and there's more going on than what's been shown so far. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the full story.

What if King and Urogue are from the same race? Both have similar wings.
    Last edited by Scretch; August 5th, 2019 at 08:01 AM.

"Those questions better be worth it, or else your descendants will regret it"

Quote Originally Posted by Scretch View Post
    What if King and Urogue are from the same race? Both have similar wings.
    Urouge has small wings and is from a Sky Island...

King is something else entirely..

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    Urouge has small wings and is from a Sky Island...

King is something else entirely..
    There are three races on Sky Island: Birkans, Shandians and Skypieans.

I think King(and theoretically Urouge) are from the Birkan race, which to be honest is already a very rare race in Sky Island. How did the Birkans got into the blue sea? Idk, but what I think what happened was that they wanted to go to the blue sea as the Straw Hats wanted to go Sky Island. When they got there, they started being hunted by the World Government for the same reason Fishmen are being hunted: discrimination(or because Im-sama told them to). Anyway, this happened since the Void Century, and because of that, there are not a lot of Birkans on Earth.

Also, how does Urouge has small wings?!

"Those questions better be worth it, or else your descendants will regret it"

I agree that there may be a connection between King's race/species and a Sky Island, but his wings are a great deal larger and more defined than the Birkans we've seen thus far, as well as those of Urouge.

They are, however, very similar to Tenguyama Hitetsu's wings.

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information