+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 397 "To Reach the Future" Discussion

Sinners BEwary-wary Quiet

first off - I looked at the raw and was like ok, I don't get a single thing that was said (Jap) but after the translation by ooshi (thank you so much) I was moved to tears...its so damn sad!!! No wonder Robin's so afraid of Aokiji (BAST*RD)

Super cool but tragic story line in Robin's past...

As for Spandain, I think that after the ohara incident, I guess its either explained in the next chapter or like what Ivotas said, a promotion then suggested Spandam for a post in Cipher Pol and worked his way up. OR...Spandam betrayed Spandain to get his post (I think this is a more befitting way to end his career)
    WHAT??? :ohmy: Nothing's worth this much troubleXD

Tramampoline! Trabapoline! MasterDee's Avatar
    In my own little world. When I feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas
    I seriously don´t see that raising any questions. I mean this was a very important mission he just accomplished just as his superiors expected him to do so. And 20 years have passed ever since. Wouldn´t it be a bit out of place if he after all those years would get a promotion?

I mean if Kuzan and Sakazuki could get promoted, why not him?

Hmmm... does anyone else think Kizeru's silhouette looks a bit like Spandine?

http://groups.msn.com/onepiecemangav-2/onepiecechapter319.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1 391

I mean if Kuzan and Sakazuki could get promoted, why not him?
    I remember (maybe it was you or someone else) that it's unthinkable for someone from a spy group to be promoted in the naval system. Something that you can only get promoted within the organization you're in. An example of this thing that's unreasonable is a CIA agent becoming a general. In any case, Spandain's at the top of the cipher pols, unless there's something higher...

Edit: the silhouette's? I think that Kizeru's hair is straighter than Spandain's.
    Avatar provided by Ferntree on DeviantArt.

Quote Originally Posted by yokaiforte
    I remember (maybe it was you or someone else) that it's unthinkable for someone from a spy group to be promoted in the naval system. Something that you can only get promoted within the organization you're in. An example of this thing that's unreasonable is a CIA agent becoming a general. In any case, Spandain's at the top of the cipher pols, unless there's something higher...
    George Bush Sr was the director of the CIA before he became president, who I believe is the commander in chief of the military.

Yes, the difference being that to become the commander in chief, you have to be president. As far as politicians are concerned, I don't think that they have military positions before being elected.

Quote Originally Posted by ooshi78
    Kuzan: I can’t leave that alone…..!!! like those punks who use this translation for scanlations.
    That one quote just made my day. Thanks for the translation btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad-Beat
    yes but if he were to get promoted, what position would it be?
    What do I know? But there surely must be some positions in between the highest authority of the World Government (Gorousei) and the director of one Cipher Pol. How about being the supreme director of all the Cipher Pols if there is such a thing?

CP9 is most likely reguarded as one of the most promising positions to hold (to those who know of it anyway) and I doubt the Gorousei would give him a promotion to a position where he would have to fight by himself, due to the fact he is clearly a coward who is scared to be in a situation where he has a chance of dying.
    Actually he already has the position where he can fight for himself. I don´t think that there´s any laws that say the director of CP9 has to be a weak coward. It just happens to be that the only two guys in this position we met are exactly that, but it isn´t a required must. I mean if he can direct CP9, why not propote him to a superior position where he command even more or stronger people? After all, he accomplished his mission so he should have earned the faith by his superiors.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDee
    George Bush Sr was the director of the CIA before he became president, who I believe is the commander in chief of the military.
    Bad example. Serving your country by going to military does at no point determine what your future will look like after you served your time and decide to leave again.

After the military you can aim for anything you want to, you can work in a super market, be a banker, be a rockstar or get into politics but you don´t get promoted in anything of it just because you went to the army

And in the One Piece example it is even the other way around. Why should a government director be promoted to a high ranked military officer? You have to be part of the military system yourself in order to make your way to the top. Or do you think that successful CIA agents can get promomet to be Generals in the US Army?

But, if he was promoted to admiral, I just don't see him looking like Kizeru. And if he was up for a promotion, I doubt that Vice Admiral would be such a good position for directing things for Spandain.

Huh, did you respond to me? I said that there is zero chance that a government official can be promoted to one of the highest ranks in the military. :huh:

Whoops, sorry about the confusion. -_- I was just refering to Master Dee about even if it were possible for such, which it isn't.

But, why would there be a Cipher pol leader? shouldn't the highest CP9 leader be allowed power over the other segments of the Cipher Pol?

And in the One Piece example it is even the other way around. Why should a government director be promoted to a high ranked military officer? You have to be part of the military system yourself in order to make your way to the top. Or do you think that successful CIA agents can get promomet to be Generals in the US Army?
    It wouldn't be an impossibility for someone not within the naval system to become a high ranking naval officer if the Five Elders (and not Sengoku) are the ones responsible for appointing admirals (similar to how the US President is responsible for appointing generals). If they have this power they can pretty much appoint anyone as admiral if they believe this would serve their purposes somehow - and unlike the US President they wouldn't have to worry about opinion polls and getting re-elected.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Ms. Suave Debonair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yokaiforte
    Whoops, sorry about the confusion. -_- I was just refering to Master Dee about even if it were possible for such, which it isn't.

But, why would there be a Cipher pol leader? shouldn't the highest CP9 leader be allowed power over the other segments of the Cipher Pol?
    Well you can be very strong but not have the knowledge of how to use your power to achieve your goal. CP9 were in Water Seven to find the blueprints for Pluton, without the knowledge that Spandam gave them they wouldn't know to look for Tom's workers and stuff.

It's like a football team. The players know how to play the game but without a manager and coach to instruct them on tactics and stuff. You won't be able to play at your best or know how to attack and defend against your opponents.

I like this chapter. Mayby it's time for me to update the Enies Lobby situation which I had not touch for an long time.

Well, we should have one more chapter explianing what Robin do after the Ohara incident onward to the future. We should be able to find out what happened to Spandine and why Aokiji gave Spandam authority to use the Buster Call

And Aokiji is right, your not suppose to use justice for an cruel reason, this attiude may explian why he did he gave Spandam the authority. One thing, if he says justice should not be use for a cruel reason, why did he try to kill Robin 20 years later? If he had killed her, then what would support his reason to give Spandam the authority?
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

/me is sobbing

poor poor Nico Robin this is so sad... awesome chapter. AoKiji is a weird fellow...

thanks all for the translation (specially ooshi78 XD) Also i believe AoKiji attack is name Ice Partizan(a kind of spear)
    baka^ni

An apology to Ivotas.

Well, after doing some research, I learn that the CIA director reports directly to the Director of National Intelligence. So, in basic, Spandain could probably be promoted to something like that. I should do more research into these things before opening my mouth.:mellow:

THE BEST FLASHBACK IN ALL ONE PIECE!
    The final image, ohara burning, is totally insane.

I wonder what Akainu looks like 20 years later...And another thing that we can compare in the "D" Family is that they all smile in the face of death...now that is truly badass.

Oda must cry to himself when he makes this stuff...it's truly great...

-Must see more of Akainu and what's up with him.

-Yayness! Back to CP9! :D

...but we know little to nothing of Luffy's history other than what was shown obviously.
    Tis the epitome of an "epic hero", no?

Sorry, I'm actually learning something in Literature, and more and more I realize why I like One Piece now... it's a freakin' epic!! XD

Like somebody mentioned, I hope the flashback continues so we can see Robin join her first crew. See what Aokiji/Kuzan meant (if you get what I mean. I'm sure I know what he literally meant, but how it's proven. can't explain it that well).

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer
    Now, I can only hope Oda avoids real tragedy and doesn't bring back Tom, Sauro, and the Ohara people from Impel Down.
    That's what I was thinking. I mean, didn't the White Beret leader (forgot his name) say that God's militia was killed off by Eneru? Near the end, they were still alive (wait, am I right about this? 70% sure... don't wanna spew too much crap if I'm completely wrong ^^; ).

Quote Originally Posted by Myoti
    Sorry, I'm actually learning something in Literature, and more and more I realize why I like One Piece now... it's a freakin' epic!! XD
    XD It's as if Virgil, Homer, Dante and Socrates just joined together to form one man (Oda) and thought up all of this. No wonder its called "One Piece".

Hey guys, check out the scanlation I did over at the OP MSN group.

http://groups.msn.com/OnePieceMangav-2/shoebox.msnw

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information