+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 892: ''The Land of Wano! To the Land of Samurai Where Cherry Blossoms Dance''

Default Re: 892: ''The Land of Wano! To the Land of Samurai Where Cherry Blossoms Dance''

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Speaking of productions that run all year around though... Pokémon does that yet it's looked consistently great for the past six years or so. Oh sure, even there the quality does vary, but the lows are nowhere near as low as one might expect from what is essentially a glorified commercial aimed exclusively at children... Granted Pokémon also has the luxury that One Piece doesn't have, of being its own thing merely loosely based on a video game that's already made. It's a lot harder to schedule things well when you're evidently set on not falling too far behind the manga.
    I have liked what I've seen from the Sun/Moon anime, which is admittedly little. I think you outlined the reasons pretty clearly though. Even at the most generous assumption of how far in advance chapters are drawn, the anime studio for One Piece has at most a year for each episode, and they're probably limited in what they can tweak because they can't read ahead and see what needs to be absolutely the same. Pokemon, being less serialised, could be operating with months of luxurious extra production time we aren't seeing on this end.

Although, if you're following any of the discussions regarding Sword and Shield, it's becoming apparent the rest of the franchise isn't quite the well-oiled machine the anime's become

Default Re: 892: ''The Land of Wano! To the Land of Samurai Where Cherry Blossoms Dance''

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Although, if you're following any of the discussions regarding Sword and Shield, it's becoming apparent the rest of the franchise isn't quite the well-oiled machine the anime's become
    Discourse regarding Sword & Shield these days can be accurately summarized as:
    "UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH"
    I've basically had to drop out of several discussions about it because both sides have been so ridiculously toxic. (For the record I'm on the side that's disappointed about the NatDex thing, but at the same time, looking at how the past several games have all felt somewhat half-finished, this could very well have been necessary. Timing could not have been worse, though. And throwing false rape accusations at Jun'ichi Masuda for it, which is a thing that literally happened, is never ever acceptable under any circumstances and what the actual hell people.)

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aldia View Post
    But they've already change the team workers, the same director who made Dragon Ball Super a lot better in the final arc is now in charge of Wano arc! This's just the beginning, there wasn't really anything important yet look at what we got
    I'm gonna believe you... for now.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Discourse regarding Sword & Shield these days can be accurately summarized as:
    "UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH"
    I've basically had to drop out of several discussions about it because both sides have been so ridiculously toxic. (For the record I'm on the side that's disappointed about the NatDex thing, but at the same time, looking at how the past several games have all felt somewhat half-finished, this could very well have been necessary. Timing could not have been worse, though. And throwing false rape accusations at Jun'ichi Masuda for it, which is a thing that literally happened, is never ever acceptable under any circumstances and what the actual hell people.)
    I'm sitting at about the same place as you. It's disappointing. The series needs the same kind of new blood all of Nintendo's other headliners have been getting. I understand they can't afford to delay anything because its a multimedia franchise and it needs to have games/anime/manga/merch/trading cards all on the same page, but I hope they learn from this and work the lessons into the next generation

But I'm sorry what the fuck is that last bit? That's news to me, and it's utterly disgusting. Jeez, cancel all the outrage, we're getting exactly the pokemon game we deserve after all.

I'm not really liking the opening song...it just doesn't appeal to me at all.
    The opening is cool though

Animation was beautiful, kinda strange seeing it that way given i'm not used to One Piece in this kinda style..

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    It looked pretty good. Animation was consistently good, which is extremely rare in OP these days. Maybe I was looking at a badly encode file, but it looked extremely washed out in several places. If that's actually part of the new filter, then ugh. One step forward, two steps back.
    I was wondering the same thing. I guess it's supposed to be mimicking a certain canvas style, but seems to have come out with a little bit weird digital fading kind of feel. I had to look at multiple sources to confirm that I didn't get a badly encoded file, as well. Maybe it's supposed to happen the brighter the day/sun is supposed to be (noticed some in the opening and during the crab scene). Maybe the most enlightened part of the arc will be pure white! Ha ha. Actually the seppuku ritual scene might be the brightest we will ever see, for that reason.
    Last edited by Audity; July 8th, 2019 at 11:25 AM.
    Thus concludes my

The new track that played at the beginning of this episode and the previous gives me these vibes, I know they are similar Japanese style instruments, but something about the melody is similar:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I hate to be the voice of negativity, and I don't mean to kill the buzz of anyone else in the thread, but jumping in for this one, I wasn't blown away. It looks good, but only the standards set by the rest of the One Piece anime. Maybe it's because I watched the episode back to back with today's Kimetsu no Yaiba. Now that's an adaptation that looks good. This is a massive step forward, but at the end of the day, the anime still is and always will be constrained by the need to stretch its budget over a whole year and make a half a chapter fill a whole episode (though they did a good job of choosing new moments to add instead of stretching existing ones this week). Glad to see the improvements. Still not quite the the thing for me.
    I don’t think anyone said the pacing improved. We’re just all blown away by the new art direction.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I am so beyond down for this art style change. My favorite show on right now is Mob Psycho, which has slightly similar line work. The lines are colored, at least. I’ve watched this episode a few times already. As long as the art stays this pretty, I’ll be fine with the current pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by YoiYoi View Post
    No one is commenting over the fact that Zoro is massacring Policemen who think he's a serial killer?
    I thought the same exact thing when watching. Let’s, uh, just assume they were all in on it!

And to be fair, Wano’s government seems like a bunch of corrupt asshole crooks anyways, so they’re still the enemy.

Now the real question is when Funimation will update the season numbering so I can stop holding the other button on my remote for ten minutes every time I want to watch an episode that isn’t three years old.

Queen's got the Funk Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

Did anyone notice Zoro's "new" hair-colour? It's a little more saturated and "grassy" than the older "pale" green.
    Overall, this whole episode as well as the new opening seems to be drawn (and animated) like the new Stampede-Movie.
    I wonder if the whole Wano-Arc is produced in such high Quality (in the total shot of the Flower Capitol every single inhabitant was animated there. No still-shots like @DR).
    At least I hope they Keep up this Quality and I am a Little pissed that they didn't do so ever since the BM-arc.

One reaction-comment was funny though:
    "8 Meter dicke Outlines…", which translates into "26ft. thick outlines...".
    actual sized Queen-GIF (alternative colours): https://media.giphy.com/media/SUEiLt...hgCz/giphy.gif
    My imagination of Moria's ol' crew: https://ibb.co/hEDSv8

One Piece - On the road to Wano Kuni Theme Cover (HQ)[Styzmask]

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    It looked pretty good. Animation was consistently good, which is extremely rare in OP these days. Maybe I was looking at a badly encode file, but it looked extremely washed out in several places. If that's actually part of the new filter, then ugh. One step forward, two steps back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audity View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I guess it's supposed to be mimicking a certain canvas style, but seems to have come out with a little bit weird digital fading kind of feel. I had to look at multiple sources to confirm that I didn't get a badly encoded file, as well. Maybe it's supposed to happen the brighter the day/sun is supposed to be (noticed some in the opening and during the crab scene). Maybe the most enlightened part of the arc will be pure white! Ha ha. Actually the seppuku ritual scene might be the brightest we will ever see, for that reason.
    I mean, using colouring to create atmosphere is a thing, that they literally did, for a scene, that literally ended, with the colour transferring to back to usual at the peak of the tension...

Like, it was an intentional decision, that corresponded with the culture of seppuku being demonstrated in the scene, with it literally being a cleansing.

I'm not sure how people didn't catch on to this being not only intentional, but symbolic directional decision used to create a unique atmosphere and meaning...

Its almost like One Piece was trying to, be nuanced or something...

That opening! FUCK! This is probably the first time I actually enjoy a One Piece opening since... I don't know, when did the openings started being 3 minutes long? The moment it started and I could tell it would not be the same random souless montage it has been for like a decade I could instantly tell they moved back to have a properly long opening sequence instead of a super long one.
    The moment Yasuie appeared on screen gave me shivers that didn't went out until the song was over, btw. The lack of Shinobu is criminal though.

As for the episode, it looked amazing. I was a bit bored on the Franky and Usopp scenes, they felt like the OP anime we are used to, but the rest of the episode handled the pace much better. Like some people said, it really felt fresh giving it the feeling we are moving to something totally new rather than just a new arc.
    And if people are still wondering if Wano is going to be Zoro arc, the anime team at least doesn't seem to have the slightest doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roronoa Zacho View Post
    I wonder if the whole Wano-Arc is produced in such high Quality (in the total shot of the Flower Capitol every single inhabitant was animated there. No still-shots like @DR).
    At least I hope they Keep up this Quality and I am a Little pissed that they didn't do so ever since the BM-arc.
    Animation and art quality of this level each and every week is simply not possible. They put in extra effort for this episode since it's the start of a new arc, and it might continue for a week or two still... But it is inevitably going to drop eventually. They have neither the manpower, nor the money, nor the time, to do this each and every week. Though the new art direction is here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I was a bit bored on the Franky and Usopp scenes, they felt like the OP anime we are used to, but the rest of the episode handled the pace much better.
    It was most likely a directional choice

I think that's them getting into character.
    People in Wano clearly have a more archaic way of speaking, unlike the rest of the world. You look at Zoro who's not a good actor and he's pretty much talking the same way he normally does (other than remembering to add a half-hearted "de gozaru" at the end of every few sentences).
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Queen's got the Funk Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

Animation and art quality of this level each and every week is simply not possible. They put in extra effort for this episode since it's the start of a new arc, and it might continue for a week or two still... But it is inevitably going to drop eventually. They have neither the manpower, nor the money, nor the time, to do this each and every week. Though the new art direction is here to stay.
    Speakin of Money, I even wonder if Oda himself has put some Yen into the start of this arc. He even left some Kind of "personal note" to hype the start of the Wano-Arc. Does he leave a note at every start of an arc, or was this something Special? He did say he was lookin Forward himself for that arc to start in the anime.

But to be realistic and honest, I guess it is like you wrote:
    the Quality will be like this for 2-3 weeks and then Drops again. And only Special episodes (like Luffy vs. Kaidou or sequences with a lot of Fighting) will be animated well.
    Some animations of Luffy vs. Katakuri have been really good though.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalDragon View Post
    It was most likely a directional choice

I think that's them getting into character.
    People in Wano clearly have a more archaic way of speaking, unlike the rest of the world. You look at Zoro who's not a good actor and he's pretty much talking the same way he normally does (other than remembering to add a half-hearted "de gozaru" at the end of every few sentences).
    Although not a Japanese native Speaker (and hardly any Knowledge About japanese language at all), I also heard that the People @ Wano (as well as Usoppe) spoke really Kind of differently than usual. I know, Usoppe was selling sth, so that might also be the reason for this "archaic" speech.
    Last edited by Roronoa Zacho; July 9th, 2019 at 07:41 AM.
    actual sized Queen-GIF (alternative colours): https://media.giphy.com/media/SUEiLt...hgCz/giphy.gif
    My imagination of Moria's ol' crew: https://ibb.co/hEDSv8

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    That opening! FUCK! This is probably the first time I actually enjoy a One Piece opening since... I don't know, when did the openings started being 3 minutes long?
    Crazy Rainbow Star. Been a long time; I was still a teenager whenever the double-length opening themes started and the ending themes were removed. At this point the presence of ending themes entailed a small enough portion of the anime's portion that it feels a bit like early installment weirdness, to quote TVTropes.

I think this is more or less sustainable, actually. This team seems to better understand how to cut corners. I’ve watched the episode a few times now and there are only like three scenes with complex animation—all within Zoro’s plot. It’s the art quality that’s jumped so significantly, and smarter than usual directing that allows simple scenes (like Zoro swaying/walking while cherry blossoms fall) to look more (gorgeous and) complicated than they actually are.

For once, I’m optimistic. If nothing else, the art style has improved drastically and that’s more important to me than the animation, since the animation is only important with the more dynamic scenes.

The obligatory Stampede tie-in filler coming towards the end of the month is going to be telling, methinks.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

I dont think so. Sure, three star animators are handling the thing but this filler seems like the perfect oportunity to take it easy and redouble focus on canon material.

Exactly. I meant in the sense of how the new art style and aesthetic will hold up on blatantly lower-priority episodes.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information