+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 958: The Promised Port

Default Chapter 958: The Promised Port

Last edited by Shift; October 6th, 2019 at 03:08 PM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: Chapter 958: The Promised Port

I don't really like the direction Oda took here.

This chapter was beyond my expectations! I deeply appreciate the visual composition of all the scenes, and that sequence of the scabbards heartbroken at the destroyed port was a very original way to set the emotional tone of the new act. I don't think I have ever felt as much sympathy for those characters as much as now.

The fire festival is also looking very fun, so it could be a really cool setting for the events that will unfold next.

The short flashback of Oden at the beginning was a clever prelude too. It ties in with last chapter (since it had finished with Sengoku mentioning Oden) and it bridges well into the start of act 3 as it is seen from the perspective of the scabbards. Hopefully, it's could an indication that we'll see the full flashback soon!

I was a little upset that the chapter was so short, but the good content more than makes up for it.
    Last edited by theackwardstation; October 6th, 2019 at 01:57 PM.

Yeah whatever it is, it is going to be crazy.. like they coated the whole fleet and went underwater(but do they even have coating equipments for all those ships?), another crazy idea is gigantic ship/submarine(doubt there was enough time for Franky to make one). Oh well, Oct 18/20 *sigh* such a long wait.

Super short chapter, but properly done. Unlike the previous time when the plans were found out and seemed to be ruined, this time Oda managed to convey the feeling (the previous time we saw the characters worrying and even Yasuie had to die to fix that, but the readers ourselves couldn't feel it).

Curious thing, the fan translations had Oden saying to the Roger Pirates that liberating Wano was an ongoing struggle that was already 20 years old by that point (so +40 now), while the official translation he says he is looking to liberate Wano in 20 years. Both seem confusing to me, but the second one particularly.

Guitar Guy: Lola went to Dressrosa a few days ago. (Is this correct? I thought they are in Dressrosa so shouldn't it be Lola was here a few days ago?)

Crocus and Roger. interactions. Best thing I have seen on this flash back.
    Something's bothering me about this 20 years thing that Oden mentioned, It also doesn't help that Crocus and Rayleigh are in the opposite sides of the Red Line in the Grand line.
    It's as if they are observing the people that goes into Paradise and New World respectively.

Just remembered that there's a break week. Better today than remembering Tues/Wed.

Oden saying the 20 year thing makes me question what's going on even more. What back then, was guaranteed to happen now? Is this why WB and others stayed away?

Kabuki theater rules dictate that Act 3 contains a tragedy and is, like Act 5, comparatively short. That makes me optimistic for the upcoming chaps after such an uneventful one. At least it seems like Oda is spilling the beans of what happened right away in the next chap.

I'm curious about how Orochi roadblocked the whole resistance army though. I mean, his plan is great. He didn't go for the retainers to imprison or kill them, like you can imagine would be the best choice. That would only make them martyrs.

He had the ressources to force them to be separated, on a (the) crucial date, and crushes all of their fighting morale at ones. Add into this the Yonko alliance and yeah, can't get any bleaker.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Just remembered that there's a break week. Better today than remembering Tues/Wed.

Oden saying the 20 year thing makes me question what's going on even more. What back then, was guaranteed to happen now? Is this why WB and others stayed away?
    Technically, it should be 5 years ago, not now... but it is mysterious.

Oden saying the 20 year thing
    Only things related to Toki comes to my mind, but how did he know about the future is still a mystery. There could be other oracles out there or something they picked up at Laugh Tale(Raftle).
    It could also be related to IM, that's why Rayleigh and them offered to help, Kouzikies are the one who have been writing those poneglyphs for 800 years after all.

Another difference between versions is that Kawamatsu stated in the official version that "there wasn't a single person at the excavation point" while on the fan translation he says "the prisoners from the mines aren't here".

The fan version seems to make more sense at first, but since they probably passed the mines on their way there from Kuri it could also be he was saying there wasn't anyone at the mines when they passed through there (so supposedly they should have arrived at the port before the Scabbards).

As good a place to start Wano's Flashback next chapter as any.

NNID: jervinnectar

That just dawned on me: Act 3 of Wano arc, Oden is still completely shadowed, despite being shown so often. And now in a flashback with Roger. What a freaking waste for the character!

You can show us an unshadowed egg for ages but not the Kozuki symbols on Oden's haori after the reveal on Zou? I'm not even asking for the face... it makes no sense to me, wth Oda.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Technically, it should be 5 years ago, not now... but it is mysterious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    Only things related to Toki comes to my mind, but how did he know about the future is still a mystery. There could be other oracles out there or something they picked up at Laugh Tale(Raftle).
    It could also be related to IM, that's why Rayleigh and them offered to help, Kouzikies are the one who have been writing those poneglyphs for 800 years after all.
    So can we narrow it down to Toki and Oden as those who are confirmed to know about what was so special about this current year? If that is the case, then the PG making clan and traveling from whatever time Toki is from originally, are the factors at play currently. This act might dig into those 2 facts. Keep in mind that Yasuie said that Orochi was indebted to Oden for some reason. I think there's more to why Orochi is 1 of the few who was afraid of the prophecy. Not just the guilt or superstition, I think certain clans are aware.

The PG is in Orochi's basement and this is probably why Kyoshiro was left behind at the capital. Maybe Robin and Zoro go there with a group.

The PG is in Orochi's basement and this is probably why Kyoshiro was left behind at the capital. Maybe Robin and Zoro go there with a group.
    I'm sure he stayed in the capital so that he can free the samurai that Orochi captured beforehand.
    They don't have a reason to go after the Poneglyph right now. Once they beat Kaido they have access to it.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

still betting on time travel shenanigans

no one showed up, even Luffy, Udon army, or Catviper, then we have lines like "There are signs the port was attacked" and "What in the world happened in the span of a single day?"

makes me think Kinemon and his crew got sent to the future and the showdown already happened which is why no one is there or contacting them, and why the port is in such bad shape (a battle happened) and the line "In the span of a single day" makes a hell of a lot more sense if they were sent several days after the battle, so it actually wasn't just one day but several days or even weeks

EDIT: Also, the nine of them were the rallying point behind the army but there's also nine straw hats, maybe the strawhats were the 9 people Toki predicted would defeat Orochi and he pulled a Macbeth by sending them to the future fearing they were the ones the prophecy was talking about and completely misinterpreting the prophecy
    Last edited by Shiebs; October 6th, 2019 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    still betting on time travel shenanigans

no one showed up, even Luffy, Udon army, or Catviper, then we have lines like "There are signs the port was attacked" and "What in the world happened in the span of a single day?"

makes me think Kinemon and his crew got sent to the future and the showdown already happened which is why no one is there or contacting them, and why the port is in such bad shape (a battle happened) and the line "In the span of a single day" makes a hell of a lot more sense if they were sent several days after the battle, so it actually wasn't just one day but several days or even weeks

EDIT: Also, the nine of them were the rallying point behind the army but there's also nine straw hats, maybe the strawhats were the 9 people Toki predicted would defeat Orochi and he pulled a Macbeth by sending them to the future fearing they were the ones the prophecy was talking about and completely misinterpreting the prophecy
    How could they have time traveled and not known? And how could they do so without Toki? Not attacking your theory at all, because it's super interesting, but I'm curious to know how you think this could have gone down.
    Praise our king, First fist of the Sea, DonMarimo DoBuggino exploring Bonesbeard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If someone seriously claimed that Whitebeard was running a vibrator business as his second job you'd ignore him as a troll.
    3DS FC: 2406-5148-3376

Quote Originally Posted by krule274 View Post
    How could they have time traveled and not known? And how could they do so without Toki? Not attacking your theory at all, because it's super interesting, but I'm curious to know how you think this could have gone down.
    Honestly I'm not really sold on my theory but I'd have to assume, if it is true, somehow Orochi got the fruit from Toki after her death and one of his subordinates has it

as for why they don't know they traveled forward in time, I guess it would be one of those things Oda doesn't look super close into for plot sake, kind of like how he forgets Luffy's future sight or even basic Observation haki when ever it's convenient for the story

The more I question if this is time travel, the more I think it's not time travel. What would be the purpose of going hours, a day, week or month into the future? Without Kinemon and the other Scabbards? Or if Kinemon and the others were sent into the future, why? Are they not supposed to be part of whatever took place?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information