+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

On anime openings there's some flexibility on them being "things the creators wanted you to see in advance" when it comes to adaptations, because obviously Oda isn't running the anime and they absolutely can mess things up that he wouldn't. (But they can also totally enhance the experience as well, in ways a manga never could. The way the Jojo openings hint at character fates without showing them explicitly and get hijacked by the villains towards the end come to mind as a straight bonus on top of the manga content). Openings for anime original series though, hard to see them as anything other than abstract but intended foreshadowing/expectation building.

When it comes to spoilers by the anime, there's one that comes to mind. It wasn't a big spoiler, but I rather have not seen it. It was when Zoro was mid air and was about to cut Pica. The aura that I already felt was possible, showed up when Zoro put armament on his swords. I don't remember even seeing an aura like that in the manga. The sword usually darkens, but the flame like aura did not ooze off the swords until in the anime with Pica. The aura coming off the swords didn't appear in the manga til 937, I think. When he beat Killer. If the manga showed the oozing aura before the Pica fight in the anime, I would like to be reminded plz.

The aura in the Killer fight and the one against Pica differ tho. The aura against Pica is very visible and takes a cool shape. The aura against Killer is just a flame like, but not swirling. So, the anime has further spoiled imo

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    When it comes to spoilers by the anime, there's one that comes to mind. It wasn't a big spoiler, but I rather have not seen it. It was when Zoro was mid air and was about to cut Pica. The aura that I already felt was possible, showed up when Zoro put armament on his swords. I don't remember even seeing an aura like that in the manga. The sword usually darkens, but the flame like aura did not ooze off the swords until in the anime with Pica. The aura coming off the swords didn't appear in the manga til 937, I think. When he beat Killer. If the manga showed the oozing aura before the Pica fight in the anime, I would like to be reminded plz.

The aura in the Killer fight and the one against Pica differ tho. The aura against Pica is very visible and takes a cool shape. The aura against Killer is just a flame like, but not swirling. So, the anime has further spoiled imo

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    This had to be a lil after the Pica fight, but possibly still within 10 chapters. Thanks. So, it was def before the anime showed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Nightmare Luffy I'll pay, but G4 definitely not. It was revealed in the volume before it first appeared on a cover. The stuff about Ace's death in the chapter/volume title I think is a deliberate choice. You've already seen him be mortally wounded in the last page of the previous volume, and you're meant to be 90% certain that's the end already. Then you get that grim, undeniable confirmation from the author himself... It's part of the storytelling, not something that's accidentally taking away from it.
    Backtracking a bit to say that I completely agree with you here. The volume takes it's title from the very next chapter after Ace has been mortally wounded. Chapter titles (or titles in general) to me are certainly part of the artistic product - the artist chooses the title just how he chooses to depict everything else in his story. Aas you said the chapter (and thus, the volume title) is not a spoiler, but a poignant confirmation of what the audience has feared after finishing the chapter before.

I think the question if an author/storyteller can spoil his own story is an interesting one. I'd say he or she definitely can, if he isn't responsible with regard to how his audience conceives his story. If Oda vaguely hints at things he may do at some point in the future (f.e., stating that a crewmember will die when referring to the Going Merry) or if he enhances his storyworld by giving minor information or confirmation about characters or events outside of his actual story, it's not a spoiler to me. But let's say, if Oda would have irresponsibly stated in an interview shortly before Ace's death in the manga that he would kill his character off, that would definitely have spoiled the dramatic twist for any fans reading that interview. Obviously, Oda would never do such a thing, I'm just saying that it's not completely impossible.

I have the 3 box sets and i'm stubbornly waiting 9999 years for the next possible box set. I might get impatient and just buy the volumes.

I'd have to wait for at least the 94th volume to drop in English. Then after that, i'd have to wait and see if they even care to do it anymore. Calculation is based on the box sets being 23, 23 and 24 volumes respectively.

I know there are the Logs in Japan and the three-in-ones in America, but I'm surprised that so far there's no official hardcover compilation release like there is for the first three Jojo Parts, Full Metal Alchemist, and other manga series, at least for all of the pre-timeskip material. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. (I think Viz went ahead and published one of their own for Jojo Part 4 at least)
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    I know there are the Logs in Japan and the three-in-ones in America, but I'm surprised that so far there's no official hardcover compilation release like there is for the first three Jojo Parts, Full Metal Alchemist, and other manga series, at least for all of the pre-timeskip material. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. (I think Viz went ahead and published one of their own for Jojo Part 4 at least)
    I'd love that, and ideally the digitally colored version from Shueisha

I'd love to see the Log Collections made into hardcover omnibuses (though definitely with completely redone covers, because the current ones are awful) and preferably for this to be used for a colour release. I know I'm dreaming, but it'd be so nice to see.

I've never really liked the two or three volumes in one type of collections. They're too inflexible, always doing X number of volumes, so they end up being weirdly paced as books. Varying up the length so these big volumes start and end on appropriate-feeling story beats. The One Piece 3 in 1s keep ending up with 200 pages of a totally new arc or saga tacked onto the end of an otherwise satisfying marathon read of the previous arc. The Jojo kanzenbans/hardcovers do it well. So do the FMA ones, but given that they committed to an even 6 chapters per volume from the start, I think it's more that they just got lucky rather than actually thinking things through and planning good volume breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Backtracking a bit to say that I completely agree with you here. The volume takes it's title from the very next chapter after Ace has been mortally wounded. Chapter titles (or titles in general) to me are certainly part of the artistic product - the artist chooses the title just how he chooses to depict everything else in his story. Aas you said the chapter (and thus, the volume title) is not a spoiler, but a poignant confirmation of what the audience has feared after finishing the chapter before.

I think the question if an author/storyteller can spoil his own story is an interesting one. I'd say he or she definitely can, if he isn't responsible with regard to how his audience conceives his story. If Oda vaguely hints at things he may do at some point in the future (f.e., stating that a crewmember will die when referring to the Going Merry) or if he enhances his storyworld by giving minor information or confirmation about characters or events outside of his actual story, it's not a spoiler to me. But let's say, if Oda would have irresponsibly stated in an interview shortly before Ace's death in the manga that he would kill his character off, that would definitely have spoiled the dramatic twist for any fans reading that interview. Obviously, Oda would never do such a thing, I'm just saying that it's not completely impossible.
    I know it's a matter of semantics, but I don't think an author can spoil the story from within the story. By definition that's just not what it is. You can argue that it was the wrong decision to give the game away so soon (Stephen King, for example, has a habit of casually dropping sentences like "before the question would occur again, death would come between them" in his narration in a way that I usually feel the story would be better without) but by definition it's still not a spoiler, just a bad decision for tension or anticipation building.

Interviews and so on are definitely a whole different board game. It's outside the story and in a totally different context, so the author might feel the need to generate marketing hype, or go to far in explaining things because they assume the broader interview audience is less invested and needs more explanation, or just straight up make a mistake because interview answers are inherently less revised and edited than a final, published manuscript. But then, it's so hard to judge in that kind of circumstance what even is intentional or accidental and how much of what's being said an author intended the hardcore fans to read into and give the game away for themselves. It all gets so complicated when you have to guess at that kind of thing.

Thanks Redon

Thanks Redon. Can't wait for the colour version. I like how Oda managed to include Kawamatsu without totally spoiling his reveal.

Title comes from chapter 950: A Soldier's Dream.

This might be my favorite cover in awhile.

One Piece Volume 94 B/W HQ cover.

It looks so clean! And I love the circular motion at the base, works really well with the 2 opposing sides on the upper half.

I knew Hyo and Kawamatsu would be there. I thought Chopper would be in his other point, but this is better.

There goes the spoiler discussion. This isn't a spoil, but it kind of implies something with Kaido and BM facing each other like that. From a story standpoint, Kaido and BM were inevitable. Last update of vol 93, had BM close, but not even in the prison yet.

So good the solution to feature Kawamatsu like this, his head hidden

Fantastic colored cover it reminds me with that cover with Sakazuki and Fujitora

Who wouldn't want to buy this volume now?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information