+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 946: Queen vs Olin

Default Chapter 946: Queen vs Olin

Holy crap this chapter was awesome! Big Mom's power should never be doubted at this point and I'm hyped to see what Luffy can do in the midst of battle. Loved the callback to Sabaody and Loving the dynamic between him and Grandpa Hyo. Also, I'm hyped to see Big Mom's true nature shine through and it's exciting to imagine what this'll lead to later.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-946/chapter/18409?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1002336

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Default Re: Chapter 946: Queen vs OLin

Although I am looking forward to see how Luffy can handle that monster, we better see Kawamatsu soon. Like, seriously.

Default Re: Chapter 946: Queen vs OLin

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Although I am looking forward to see how Luffy can handle that monster, we better see Kawamatsu soon. Like, seriously.
    Guessing that Luffy gets some good training in before Kawamatsu comes to help, allowing Luffy, Hyo, Chopper and co., etc. to escape.
    Praise our king, First fist of the Sea, DonMarimo DoBuggino exploring Bonesbeard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If someone seriously claimed that Whitebeard was running a vibrator business as his second job you'd ignore him as a troll.
    3DS FC: 2406-5148-3376

Default Re: Chapter 946: Queen vs Olin

Man, volume 84 is going to be nonstop action, isn't it? I imagine it'll be remembered as one of the best if it keeps up this kind of pacing.

With the last chapter, I was wondering how Oda would untangle the knot of characters and situations set up for the prison, but it turns out he plan was to just cut the knot, with Big Mom as the knife. Seeing Queen be swung around by his dinosaur neck was incredible.

I think the most interesting thing this week is the conclusion of a subtle little character arc for Luffy. Every since the escape from Whole Cake Chateau (specifically the point in the battle where she shrugged off a Gear Four attack), Luffy's been acting a way we're really not used to for him. He's legitimately frightened of Big Mom. He doesn't want to fight her, despite everything he said about "not leaving foes for later" when he fought Fujitora at Dressrosa. I think the last time Luffy was properly scared of an enemy like this was during the Marineford saga, either for Ace's life or for his crew's, when Kuma came after them. No other enemy has had him flip so suddenly into retreat mode, even the ones like Crocodile who beat him several times before he conquered them. Whether he developed this instinct because of the ease with which she deflected his attacks, the lives of his allies needed to escape her or the sheer amount of firepower she mustered against the crew, Big Mom has done one thing few other villains could: she changed Luffy's behaviour.

Character development, both positive and negative, tends to be understated and slow-burning in One Piece, but it's certainly not nonexistent. Let's talk about Luffy's character arcs in the New World. The first one, I think, starts on Fishman Island when he promises to "protect everything." This isn't something Luffy needs to grow from, necessarily, but it's an assertion that needs to be challenged and then tempered to be more realistic. This happens on Dressrosa, and I wish it had been brought more to the forefront that it was happening. As it's been written it's more of a vague, slow, background development, and a personal through-line for the protagonist could really have unified Dressrosa's generally chaotic lack of focus. Essentially, Doflamingo, manipulator, physical and mental puppetmaster, has the perfect toolset to make protecting everyone and everything impossible. There's no keeping the Birdcage from destroying Dressrosa (though thanks to the teamwork of Luffy's allies its people are saved), Law was nearly outright murdered with no way for Luffy to intervene, and Bellamy, well Luffy had to put Bellamy down himself, even though they'd become friends just hours before. Protecting everything was really thrown out the window there, and I wish we'd been shown more of the turmoil Luffy felt over that instead of just the broad "you hurt my friends, Mingo!!" rage we got. Regardless, Luffy grows from this experience and demonstrates a more realistic kind of resolve through the Tottoland Saga, accepting the sacrifices of Pedro, Pekoms and Jinbe instead of throwing everything away to not leave a man behind. He's far more willing to go for the better net result instead of making it all or nothing, which is a sharp contrast to his attitude at the start of the New World.

The second arc, as established, begins with the Fujitora fight, and is, as with the last one, challenged in the very next major saga. Luffy comes up against a foe he can't defeat now, in the most literal way possible, and is forced to retreat. I don't think he's truly compromised on his decision not to back down from foes perceived to be above his level just yet, as he flung himself right at Kaido and is training to do the same thing again. I think he sees Big Mom as a lone exception to his declaration. We can see from the way Luffy reacts to her storming into the prison he's strongly associated her with the desperation and losses of Tottoland and still sees her as something totally unbeatable, that can only be run away from, even though he's just been training to face her apparent equal, Kaido.

And here, at the end of this current chapter, Hyo gives Luffy the push he needs to get back on track and face her, despite the pain she's caused. Luffy's expressions on the last page of the chapter are fantastic though and through, as he goes from retreat mode, to fighting down those instincts, to that perfect mix of determination and concern in the last panel when he fully commits to the fight. We've talked about great facial acting in Wano already, but it's not at all limited to the locals showing laughter and sadness at once. This is going to be a milestone fight for Luffy, however it plays out, and I cannot wait to see what happens.

(not really sure how advanced haki is meant to have gotten the collars off any more than raw strength or regular haki could have though; kinda hoping we get a proper explanation next week, as nice as the Rayleigh callback was)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    M
    The second arc, as established, begins with the Fujitora fight, and is, as with the last one, challenged in the very next major saga. Luffy comes up against a foe he can't defeat now, in the most literal way possible, and is forced to retreat. I don't think he's truly compromised on his decision not to back down from foes perceived to be above his level just yet, as he flung himself right at Kaido and is training to do the same thing again. I think he sees Big Mom as a lone exception to his declaration. We can see from the way Luffy reacts to her storming into the prison he's strongly associated her with the desperation and losses of Tottoland and still sees her as something totally unbeatable, that can only be run away from, even though he's just been training to face her apparent equal, Kaido.

And here, at the end of this current chapter, Hyo gives Luffy the push he needs to get back on track and face her, despite the pain she's caused. Luffy's expressions on the last page of the chapter are fantastic though and through, as he goes from retreat mode, to fighting down those instincts, to that perfect mix of determination and concern in the last panel when he fully commits to the fight. We've talked about great facial acting in Wano already, but it's not at all limited to the locals showing laughter and sadness at once. This is going to be a milestone fight for Luffy, however it plays out, and I cannot wait to see what happens.
    Part of the reason why he flung himself against Kaido was he thought Kaido had killed his crew. He didnt even know whether they were alive or dead anymore, so he thought they might be dead and he he had nothing else to lose already anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpanman View Post
    Part of the reason why he flung himself against Kaido was he thought Kaido had killed his crew. He didnt even know whether they were alive or dead anymore, so he thought they might be dead and he he had nothing else to lose already anyway..
    Excellent point, probably something I should have made note of. Probably a big factor in the difference between fighting Kaido and running from Big Mom.

I love Big Mom being the one who trains Luffy. Always seemed weird to me how Luffy didn't get a battle victory off her, now we know why.

Okay, so is this it? Is there no where left for Luffy to go except awakening his devil fruit or did Oda hint at another technique 5000 chapters ago?

NNID: jervinnectar

There is something immensely satisfying about seeing O-lin swinging Queen around by the neck like a ragdoll...

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post
    I love Big Mom being the one who trains Luffy. Always seemed weird to me how Luffy didn't get a battle victory off her, now we know why.

Okay, so is this it? Is there no where left for Luffy to go except awakening his devil fruit or did Oda hint at another technique 5000 chapters ago?
    Different levels of haki. He's maybe getting down the defense part now (which he didn't have against Hody) but he's not quite splitting the skies with his conqueror's spirit yet. So he's not at Shanks/WB level yet, for wahtever that's worth.

Of course, for all that awakening should be interesting, his final opponent is goingto be Blackbeard who just turns powers off, so...
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post

Huh, conqueror's haki. Completely unexplored.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I thought the training was still for projecting armament.

Spoiler:

I usually just watch reactions for entertainment purposes, but I find certain things interesting at times.

In KOL's reaction

- he didn't take note or even care for what BM explained was her reasoning for coming for the Oshiruko
    - and perceived Hyo's training for Luffy as "Zenkai boost"

For the 1st thing, it kind of annoys me when people ignore things like that, then when it pays off after being built up, they say that it wasn't written right or they don't understand. There's a bond with some of the good people of Wano being built with the essence of BM and failing to realize it because you're more interested in a fight between her and Luffy is weird to me.

The second part was weird as well. I read the end of the chapter as Hyo noticing that Luffy excels while protecting other's lives, so Hyo is purposely putting himself at risk to advance Luffy's abilities. How is that a Zenkai Boost? Hyo is putting his life at risk and hasn't shown any healing capabilities.

We're supposed to assume that Luffy awakened a new level of armament haki or developed a new technique, but I think that might have been him awakening his devilfruit. We don't know what the collars are made of, but it's probably something that even haki users can't easily damage. Hyo's a haki master and even he saw their deaths as inevitable. Luffy's sudden and unexpected ability to bend the collars like taffy saved them, and that's exactly what I'd expect his awakened fruit to be capable of.

I really don't see how it's hinting at Awakening when Hyou immediately tells him to remember that feeling and use it to defend from Big Mom, highly implying that this is his opportunity to learn his new CoA technique.

This is my 2nd time seeing someone say what Luffy did was DF related or at least awakening. I don't get where that is implied. He crushed the collar.

Yeah I diidnt get any inclination of anything but the metal being bent
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Big Mom has done one thing few other villains could: she changed Luffy's behaviour.

Character development, both positive and negative, tends to be understated and slow-burning in One Piece, but it's certainly not nonexistent. Let's talk about Luffy's character arcs in the New World. The first one, I think, starts on Fishman Island when he promises to "protect everything." This isn't something Luffy needs to grow from, necessarily, but it's an assertion that needs to be challenged and then tempered to be more realistic. This happens on Dressrosa, and I wish it had been brought more to the forefront that it was happening. As it's been written it's more of a vague, slow, background development, and a personal through-line for the protagonist could really have unified Dressrosa's generally chaotic lack of focus. Essentially, Doflamingo, manipulator, physical and mental puppetmaster, has the perfect toolset to make protecting everyone and everything impossible. There's no keeping the Birdcage from destroying Dressrosa (though thanks to the teamwork of Luffy's allies its people are saved), Law was nearly outright murdered with no way for Luffy to intervene, and Bellamy, well Luffy had to put Bellamy down himself, even though they'd become friends just hours before. Protecting everything was really thrown out the window there, and I wish we'd been shown more of the turmoil Luffy felt over that instead of just the broad "you hurt my friends, Mingo!!" rage we got. Regardless, Luffy grows from this experience and demonstrates a more realistic kind of resolve through the Tottoland Saga, accepting the sacrifices of Pedro, Pekoms and Jinbe instead of throwing everything away to not leave a man behind. He's far more willing to go for the better net result instead of making it all or nothing, which is a sharp contrast to his attitude at the start of the New World.

Very good analysis, I agree with everything you said!

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post

In KOL's reaction
    The entire concept of YouTube reaction "videos" is just to put on a act of overreaction and over-excitement. It's not there to properly read/consume the chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    It's not there to properly read/consume the chapter.
    Funnily enough, that takes less time.

It does.

But people on YouTube prioritize views, popular vocab and general clickbaity reactions. That's how they get their monthly income.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information