+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Not such a bad idea.
    It fits perfectly if only the Wano samurais and Momo without Inuarashi and Nekomamushi are involved.
    So each of the 7 scabbards will cut off one head and Momo cuts off the last one and revenges his family. Would be pretty nice, I think.
    But the logistics of all that?

Just curious how you'd make it so that it doesn't end up looking like some childrens' fanfiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

So Kaw, Den and Ash are each worth a 100 men. I assume that the Mink duo can account for atleast 75 men each. And the other guys could atleast pull of a value of 25 men per guy. So that's 550 men worth of manpower tied up into one single Spandam. Unless it's a quick series of comical beatings it all sounds like whatever is the step that's beyond overkill. Kinemon himself could probably handle him in my estimation

There are many strong cowards like Cesar .

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    There are many strong cowards like Cesar .
    He's not strong, he's tricky. That's like saying Nami and Usopp are strong.

But this chapter was sad as hell, I legit cried because I thought something would happen at the last second. What a way to go, too. Not a quick beheading, but multiple gunshots. Really want for the trend of not killing the bad guys to be suspended for Orochi just this once. Oda's already bucking the trend of not killing anyone with Pedro and Pound, and now Yasu, so why not let it happen with someone who deserves it?

You guys realize this Smile stuff was first introduced to us(or rather hinted) back on Saboady during the human auctions? The people of Wano have had to suffer the side effects of this stuff for several years now.

And man this Smile stuff reminds of me of the Neptune brothers. Two of them were outright weirdos but then later we learned of a traumatizing incident that caused them to get stuck in that seemingly weird mindset for years to come. Leave it to Oda to wait an entire year or more to give some heavy weight to what seems to be a small or silly plot point/character attribute.

I didn't outright cry like I have in past One Piece scenes but I sure did begin to tear up. That was a legit sad moment and I feel for all the characters. I know some of us aren't attached to Yasu at all but I found him to be extremely endearing early on and way more so after we understood his helping hand role in Ebesu town.

The Smile stuff is super interesting. Makes you wonder if SAD has gotten it's name after it's side effects were clear. Devil fruits seem to have an actual spirit inside of them. I'm of the opinion that they can think and "do" things on their own. Sort of. Black Beard saying that the Darkness fruit chose him makes me think we'll interpret that literally some day. The artificial devil fruits seem to be created with animal DNA as well as the "spirits" from actual humans. I'm wondering if the soul of the Smiles is somehow taken from humans and then cultivated and harvested in a way that creates artificial fruits. The fruit maybe needs certain emotions to operate. Caesar might have deemed that taking certain negative emotions like anger as something that would be more fitting for a weapon. Leaving behind that laughy happiness allows for more vicious fruits and maybe the humans who are affected by it aren't total expressionless zombies. Perhaps the mixture of the human and animal attributes is partially what makes them unstable.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    He's not strong, he's tricky. That's like saying Nami and Usopp are strong.
    Caesar is legitimately strong, not just tricky. The crew even notes at one point that his battle powers are no surprise considering his bounty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Caesar is legitimately strong, not just tricky. The crew even notes at one point that his battle powers are no surprise considering his bounty.
    Compared to who i suppose, he does have a devil fruit that plays nicely into his skillset and he does have some offensive capabilities but at heart CC is neither a fighter nor particularly strong.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Compared to who i suppose, he does have a devil fruit that plays nicely into his skillset and he does have some offensive capabilities but at heart CC is neither a fighter nor particularly strong.
    His physical abilities obviously aren't that great, but who cares about that in a world with a ton of different ways to fight.

I wouldn't want to compare him to top officers of a Yonkou crew, but he definitely belongs in the New World as a competent combatant.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post

Just curious how you'd make it so that it doesn't end up looking like some childrens' fanfiction.
    So Kaw, Den and Ash are each worth a 100 men. I assume that the Mink duo can account for atleast 75 men each. And the other guys could atleast pull of a value of 25 men per guy. So that's 550 men worth of manpower tied up into one single Spandam. Unless it's a quick series of comical beatings it all sounds like whatever is the step that's beyond overkill. Kinemon himself could probably handle him in my estimation
    It all depends on what his fruit can really do. We don't know his full power yet. Sure he is a coward, but his fruit can be strong.
    Even if his fruit can't do much or is just weak, there are possibilities how this can work.

Let's say Momo wants to be the one who kills Orochi (because he's a pride samurai and wants to revenge his parents), that's not that easy for a kid.
    So he needs the help of his subordinates. The scabbards clear the way, get rid of Orochi's subordinates, cut off a few of Orochis heads and leave the last head for Momo.

Why does Momo train with his sword if not for cutting off heads, and well, Orochi has a few, so.

I can totally imagine that happening.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Momo said he wanted to take down Kaido, so I'm not sure he'll fight against Orochi. I think he'll support Luffy vs. Kaido, but Orochi is fair game for the retainers.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    He's not strong
    That's a big understatement! not everyone is Luffy, can use armament and have immunity to poison.

Would be even more impressive if he could do both.
    And technically taking down Orochi is helping taking down Kaido.
    Once Orochi is taken care off, Momo gets the support of the whole Wano country and with combined forces of Wano, Kaido will be taken down.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Momo said he wanted to take down Kaido, so I'm not sure he'll fight against Orochi. I think he'll support Luffy vs. Kaido, but Orochi is fair game for the retainers.
    I mean, he's still just an eight year old kid with a defective DF.

Call me stupid but I actually just realized SAD isn’t an acronym but the literal counterpart of SMILE.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    His physical abilities obviously aren't that great, but who cares about that in a world with a ton of different ways to fight.

I wouldn't want to compare him to top officers of a Yonkou crew, but he definitely belongs in the New World as a competent combatant.
    I'd be more worried about his heart and determination in the face of adversity. If the foe still stands after his bag of tricks has been emptied he has next to no chance of winning against anyone who is anyone and is most likely to run or grovel for forgiveness

Congrats Oda, you finally killed someone in modern day in a meaningful way, fully on camera, with a smile and passed on dream, whose death serves a real story purpose, with a body and an onscreen death blow, and a multitude of credible witnesses including the strawhats, in a way even you probably won't weasel out of, without it being a major world changing event. About time!

Of course, its One Piece and its *only* bullets, and Law is on the island and devil fruits and what have you, so even this can be undone. He seems like he even took a bullet to the head, but maybe his thick floofy hair blocked it. But for now it seems like a legit real time death. That I'm not going to completely doubt for months to come. FINALLY.

Pedro's probably still alive though, as all of those things being so clearly on camera here makes their absence with him even clearer, so it is what it is.

He'd be near unbeatable in the old world like all the other Logias. It's only in haki town that he's pathetic.
    Last edited by Robby; May 13th, 2019 at 03:07 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
    Call me stupid but I actually just realized SAD isn’t an acronym but the literal counterpart of SMILE.....
    Interestingly, SAD is pronounced S-A-D but SMILE is read like the word...but obviously the connection is there

Spoiler:

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

See, I thought S.A.D stood for something like "Synthetzied Artifical Devil".

dude, this chapter was tight as hell. yasu's speech is amazing, paints a more interesting picture of wano and its people, establishes the stakes a little better, and it really feels like a meaningful escalation tonally. this was really the first time i had a strong idea of wano and bought it being this big, interconnected, complex country. and i'm with greg, i think yasu dead af. like the man literally get shot up and falls to the ground in a crumpled mess. oda's been flirting with actually killing characters for a while now and i think that wano is a pivotal enough arc with high enough stakes (both within the arc and the larger narrative) to do it. this one hit different.

lemme put it like this, i'm gonna feel real cheated if yasu's alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post

I dont get why you insist calling it "cartoonish" or "childish" its just actually the most logical thing. Orochi's power seems made exactly for the 9 samurai to fight him. I could accept the criticism that maybe is 'too predictable' but i just dont get the 'cartoonish' thing.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information