+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 885: "The Holy Land's Darkness - The Mystery of the Giant Straw Hat"

Default 885: "The Holy Land's Darkness - The Mystery of the Giant Straw Hat"

*X-Files theme plays in the distance*

Title: "The Holy Land's Darkness - The Mystery of the Giant Straw Hat"
    Chapters Covered: rest of 906
    Episode Director: Yoshihiro Ueda (**1/2)
    Animation Director: Kazuya Hisada (***1/2) and Masahiro Shimanuki (**)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    Last edited by Crossword; May 18th, 2019 at 08:48 PM.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 885: "The Holy Land's Darkness - The Mystery of the Giant Straw Hat"

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Animation Director: Shigefumi Shingaki (**1/2)
    Isn't this week's AD Shimanuki?
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Default Re: 885: "The Holy Land's Darkness - The Mystery of the Giant Straw Hat"

Yes, that does appear to be the case.

WOW! They left such a revelatory episode to some of the worst animators. I really hate Toei sometimes. The Japanese and Western audiences tend to watch for different reasons and they probably figured "This fightless arc is PERFECT to make shitty filler, no one will care!" and thus the Reverie gets screwed.

A Mysterious Giant Straw Hat - Episode 885

One Piece Episode 886 Preview

I like how they're in flashback filler mode and still can't commit to animating a whole cover story.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Most or all of the Drum footage was recycled from episode 778 but it was at least cut together competently enough and if nothing else certainly looked good with all that Ichikawa art. Next week's episode should cover 2/3s of chapter 907, and the last of the "refreshers" from the manga was covered here so hopefully there should be smoother sailing from here on out (though I do expect a quick reintroduction for Charlos and Lucci - though maybe Lucci's presence in recent media might remove the need for a refresher on who he is).

Seeing Level Six again makes me wonder if we're ever going to see more of the escaped prisoners apart from the new Blackbeards. The movies, specials, and video games have been happily mining them for suitably strong antagonists, but the manga's been mum on them.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Seeing Level Six again makes me wonder if we're ever going to see more of the escaped prisoners apart from the new Blackbeards. The movies, specials, and video games have been happily mining them for suitably strong antagonists, but the manga's been mum on them.
    I think Jean Argo said they're all hiding out together. Who knows, maybe that's the next arc after Wano?

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    I like how they're in flashback filler mode and still can't commit to animating a whole cover story.
    Been wondering myself this for over 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Doffy's scene and the hat looked good so that's the main thing I cared about.

Wapol was alright overall and Shirahoshi looked good in her close ups. But they cannot seem to draw Kureha or Fukoboshi to save their lives.

Next week has promise to potentially not have much flashback. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they try to squeeze in some Enies Lobby flashbacks if you look at who's showing up in the preview.

Also be happy they are trying to show select cover story scenes like in this episode. Due to ratings issues the anime will never fully animate any of the cover stories so you have to accept what we can get.

The Anime version of the Coby Helmeppo and Buggy cover stories had good ratings.

This was a very good second! If anyone needs me, I will be just there fanboying it for the time being. And finally we know what that shadowy thing next to his ear: just shadows really.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; May 19th, 2019 at 06:07 AM. Reason: the nose doesn't look quite right, though

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    The Anime version of the Coby Helmeppo and Buggy cover stories had good ratings.
    Do you mean viewer ratings? Because viewer ratings doesn't really tell us if people enjoyed the content of the episodes, or even if they tuned in to specifically watch those episodes.

But yeah, huge missed opportunity for the cover stories :(

Finally!
    That mysterious giant Straw Hat.....

Quote Originally Posted by dropper View Post
    Do you mean viewer ratings? Because viewer ratings doesn't really tell us if people enjoyed the content of the episodes, or even if they tuned in to specifically watch those episodes.

But yeah, huge missed opportunity for the cover stories :(
    Nielsen Ratings doesnt care that people enjoyed them or not. Why do you think the Big Bang Theory is a humongous success?

Nielsen Ratings doesnt care that people enjoyed them or not. Why do you think the Big Bang Theory is a humongous success?
    People tend to watch shows they enjoy. I'm not sure what your point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    Doffy's scene and the hat looked good so that's the main thing I cared about.

Wapol was alright overall and Shirahoshi looked good in her close ups. But they cannot seem to draw Kureha or Fukoboshi to save their lives.

Next week has promise to potentially not have much flashback. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they try to squeeze in some Enies Lobby flashbacks if you look at who's showing up in the preview.

Also be happy they are trying to show select cover story scenes like in this episode. Due to ratings issues the anime will never fully animate any of the cover stories so you have to accept what we can get.
    Ehhh I was actually quite a bit peeved at that. Like they covered them in only 2.5 minutes and if thats how little of the stories, were gonna get I rather have them not animate them at all.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    People tend to watch shows they enjoy. I'm not sure what your point is.
    Why dont you tell that to that other person,dropper? Yes, my argument was flawed but people did watch the Cover Story Adaptations. That means there is literally no excuse to not animate them. Sure there is the fact that the last time they tried they opened a huge plothole with Reverse Mountain.

Edit:Sorry If I came across as rude to anyone. I just said things bluntly but dont intend to insult or deride.

Why dont you tell that to that other person,dropper? Yes, my argument was flawed but people did watch the Cover Story Adaptations. That means there is literally no excuse to not animate them. Sure there is the fact that the last time they tried they opened a huge plothole with Reverse Mountain.

Edit:Sorry If I came across as rude to anyone. I just said things bluntly but dont intend to insult or deride.
    Toei Animation has no lone say on that. If Shueisha and Fuji TV decided that dedicating full episodes to the cover stories isn't worth it, then there's nothing Toei can do. If Shueisha and Fuji TV decided that the Buggy and Cobymeppo cover stories didn't meet whatever criteria they had to continue doing more, then that also means there is nothing Toei can do.
    The blame lies with the three-party committee system.

I see. You are right.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information