+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 878: ''The World Is Shocked - A Fifth Emperor of the Sea Emerges!''

Default Re: 878: ''The World Is Shocked - A Fifth Emperor of the Sea Emerges!''

We finally got uncensored versions of Luffy stabbing himself and Shanks' bloody arm, so that's nice.

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Going from last week's phenomenal conclusion to this is a great way to knock the wind out of the sails and start the next round of fan discourse on a sour note. I get the reasoning behind having recap episodes and this arc is a good opportunity for them, but for us hardcore fans they're completely unnecessary.
    Oda has given the anime plenty of leeway to cram in these extended flashbacks in the upcoming episodes. The manga chapters were full of weird, "HEY KIDS, REMEMBER WAPOL?" segments, so don't be shocked if Toei turns the entirety of Reverie into a giant recap mini-arc.

I'd rather them not sacrifice a half-chapter's worth of content for it though.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

These flashbacks would be a great excuse to cram a full chapter into 10 minutes, but nah.

Can't please anyone, they couldn't have handled it any better!

More breathing space for Wano, it's going to be a long arc anyway.

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

Sacrificing one arc for another is not a good trade, brah. Especially when the latter is gonna be roughly 300 chapters long.

It did kind of feel like Toei played an April Fools joke on us, with the entire first half of the episode being the fifth retelling of Luffy's origin story.

They just left the setup for a joke hanging 'till next week, no payoff for Luffy being sad about his bounty.

e: If every episode is going to be half recap filler, we're probably going to get cover stories during the Reverie.
    Last edited by Shakidna_; March 31st, 2019 at 07:16 PM.

TBH, I don't think they failed or really traded off that much this episode. Yes, they didn't cover as much they could have, no shit, they just upped the pacing for seven episodes for the finale of an arc, and are now in cool down, and its not like the retelling here was poorly implemented or remotely inappropriate.

It will all be One Paced away anyway.

Spoiler:

Daaam. They had that scene involving the Gorosei in the opening

Can't wait for that Episode

Quote Originally Posted by gyuukarubi View Post
    2. Where did Shanks' scars come from? They're important enough to make it onto his jolly roger (despite being the Red-Haired Pirates). I wonder if it has to do with a time he lost a friend?
    He got the scars from Blackbeard.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Bruh, it's been like, what? Over a year? Ten years? And I STILL can't handle that opening. Possibly the worst OP opening ever without a drop of hyperbole. But I do appreciate that they thought turning it into English would somehow make the music better.
    Yeah, it's bad. Though I have the advantage of basically binging through the past 600 episodes so it's only been a couple of weeks on that one. :P

I'm actually kind of glad for the nostalgia trips because I've honestly forgotten about a lot of stuff that happened a long time ago. Like I forgot Luffy gave himself that scar.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Sacrificing one arc for another is not a good trade, brah. Especially when the latter is gonna be roughly 300 chapters long.
    I wish they'd just adapt some of the cover stories.. I know it'll never happen, but it'd be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I wish they'd just adapt some of the cover stories.. I know it'll never happen, but it'd be fantastic.
    Heard we may be getting a few relevant ones covered this arc. I mean, the anime covered Wapol’s cover story.

I wish the recaps were separated from the story. Itís annoying to have them blended together for ten episodes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    He got the scars from Blackbeard.
    Yes, but how? Donít those look like a beastís claw scratches? What were the circumstances?

My theory is of course that Blackbeard possesses the Dog Dog Fruit Ancient Type: Model Cerberus. Shanks probably has the Cat Cat Fruit: Model Lion.

Yes, but how? Don’t those look like a beast’s claw scratches? What were the circumstances?
    In one flashback shot back during Fishman Island, we're shown Whitebeard and crew in the process of putting the island under his protection. In that shot, Teach is shown wearing a three-bladed "Wolverine-claw" style weapon.

Though nothing has been made of it since, the implication is that those "claws" were Teach's weapon of choice, at least back then. It's impossible to say for sure until we know more on their respective pasts, but I'd say it's fairly likely Shanks's scars came from that weapon, rather than a thus-far-unmentioned Zoan fruit.

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

When Toei decided not to do a filler arc, I figured we'd get extended flashbacks instead. And I'm totally okay with this, because the alternative would be super slow padding, reaction shots, and pointless talking

The only reason the Shanks/Luffy flashback is annoying is because it's been re-animated 4 times. I'm much more looking forward to the Koby, Wapol, and Alabasta flashbacks, which haven't been reanimated as much

Yes, but how? Don’t those look like a beast’s claw scratches? What were the circumstances?

My theory is of course that Blackbeard possesses the Dog Dog Fruit Ancient Type: Model Cerberus. Shanks probably has the Cat Cat Fruit: Model Lion.
    Just like your other dumb theory this is wrong.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information