+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 877: ''The Time of Farewell - Pudding's Last 'Request'''

Default Re: 877: ''The Time of Farewell - Pudding's Last 'Request'''

Well that's just it. The anime, like all productions, has a rotating staff of about ten different episode and animation directors each, and three main outsourcing studios (Toei Animation Philippines, Studio Cosmo, and Studio GUTS who worked on this episode) and a couple others besides. Quality's going to vary to some degree week to week, it's inevitable given the nature of the craft. What's changed for Zo and especially for Totland is that we now have a series director who seems to be a lot more savvy in regards to how to manage and leverage the talent and resources at his disposal. Plus we now have an added safety net in the form of a full-time chief animation director who has been very hands-on throughout the entirety of the arc.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    It's nice to see that the anime in general has been a lot more consistent. I remember about a decade ago, the animation would sometimes be incredibly bad, like they had completely different teams working on different episodes. That's about when I stopped watching it.

Not sure how to say this but um, that's exactly it. The anime DOES have completely different teams working on different anime's. ALL ANIME USUALLY DO.

Crossword sums it up nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Well that's just it. The anime, like all productions, has a rotating staff of about ten different episode and animation directors each, and three main outsourcing studios (Toei Animation Philippines, Studio Cosmo, and Studio GUTS who worked on this episode) and a couple others besides. Quality's going to vary to some degree week to week, it's inevitable given the nature of the craft. What's changed for Zo and especially for Totland is that we now have a series director who seems to be a lot more savvy in regards to how to manage and leverage the talent and resources at his disposal. Plus we now have an added safety net in the form of a full-time chief animation director who has been very hands-on throughout the entirety of the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post

Not sure how to say this but um, that's exactly it. The anime DOES have completely different teams working on different anime's. ALL ANIME USUALLY DO.

Crossword sums it up nicely.
    Yeah, sorry, I'm tired, of course I know that they have different teams, it's been a point of discussion from day one, what I mean is they used to keep things a lot more consistent in quality, then it started to get more disjointed, almost like it was a whole other STUDIO working on one episode to the next. We used to joke about "oh damn, here comes team F for this one". Now it seems more consistent again which would certainly be attributed to better leadership and directors that know what they're doing. I had read one guy was previously working on both directing and character development and they've now split up the responsibilities so that would also change things a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Yeah, sorry, I'm tired, of course I know that they have different teams, it's been a point of discussion from day one, what I mean is they used to keep things a lot more consistent in quality, then it started to get more disjointed, almost like it was a whole other STUDIO working on one episode to the next. We used to joke about "oh damn, here comes team F for this one". Now it seems more consistent again which would certainly be attributed to better leadership and directors that know what they're doing. I had read one guy was previously working on both directing and character development and they've now split up the responsibilities so that would also change things a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the anime has gotten better at coordinating generally. Of course there are still weaker directors and animation supervisors, but I think guys like Keiichi Ichikawa, and a generally stronger schedule has at least reflected generally stronger art quality, where even those sorts of episodes are at least bearable. Can't believe that 875 had arguably the most notorious animation director on the series at its helm, and it turned out great.

Now all we need to do is actually distribute the photography department instead of just keeping them primarily for Komaki's episodes...

It's nice to see that the anime in general has been a lot more consistent. I remember about a decade ago, the animation would sometimes be incredibly bad, like they had completely different teams working on different episodes. That's about when I stopped watching it.
    You are probably referring to those horribly drawn Strawhats whereabouts episodes featuring Robin and Usopp during Amazon Lily/Impel Down.

Ugh, and the image doesn't even truly reflect how ugly and off-model the characters looked throughout. I don't think it ever got quite this ugly again afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    You are probably referring to those horribly drawn Strawhats whereabouts episodes featuring Robin and Usopp during Amazon Lily/Impel Down.

http://s3cf.recapguide.com/img/tv/26...39-38-e8fd.jpg

Ugh, and the image doesn't even truly reflect how ugly and off-model the characters looked throughout. I don't think it ever got quite this ugly again afterwards.
    When you look at freezeframes and inbetweens it was ugly, but that episode had really nice fluid animation.

Naoki Tate is a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by dropper View Post
    When you look at freezeframes and inbetweens it was ugly, but that episode had really nice fluid animation.
    I didn't look at freezeframes and inbetween, I simply watched the episode. Who cares about the animation when every character looks like crap? These episodes were almost unwatchable to me because everything looked ugly like hell.

I didn't look at freezeframes and inbetween, I simply watched the episode. Who cares about the animation when every character looks like crap? These episodes were almost unwatchable to me because everything looked ugly like hell.
    That episode is easily one the most well animated and aesthetically appealing in the entire series. Easily the most progressive art style the anime ever sported, and its a real damn shame that we don't have anyone that has a really progressive style on the anime...

The anime art nowadays is really by the numbers. Nothing really experimental or interesting going on style wise.

Yea I loved that Robin episode back in the day.

http://s3cf.recapguide.com/img/tv/26...39-38-e8fd.jpg

I don't think I made it that far in the anime before I took a break, and I skipped over most of that stuff and started back up around the start of Fishman Island. Like dropper said, animation and character drawing are two seperate point. I remember some really choppy stuff in Enies Lobby. Going back a bit further, I remember a scene I think in Skypiea where the strawhats are sitting around on a map and they are moving like windup toys, it was awfully funny. But, yeah, going off model really takes you out of the story too.

The animation isn't stellar all the time recently and they're definitely still taking short cuts for time and budget, but there hasn't been any unexpected weirdness. I like when they do the more stylised stuff in some of the intense battle scenes. I'm sure there are still some freeze frames that look really bad now, but they're less eye catching.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post
    That episode is easily one the most well animated and aesthetically appealing in the entire series. Easily the most progressive art style the anime ever sported, and its a real damn shame that we don't have anyone that has a really progressive style on the anime...

The anime art nowadays is really by the numbers. Nothing really experimental or interesting going on style wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blissed
    Yea I loved that Robin episode back in the day.
    Huh, different tastes I guess. I had no idea these episodes were this popular. I just found the art style incredibly off-putting. Some of the secondary characters looked like they'd belong in some other anime than One Piece. I mean yeah, the animation was fluid I guess, but those weren't very action-heavy episodes either, so I don't really see the point.

In Arlong Park, Nami leaves to go handle things in Arlong Park alone similarly to Sanji going to get married. Both of these arcs end up showing Nami and Sanji ask Luffy for help against the Fishmen and Big Mom Pirates after trying to shoulder everything by themselves. Yeah thereís obviously a lot of different things that happen in each arc, but it still feels like a template being reused. You could say the same thing about Enies Lobby.
    Feels like Iím reading the same arc for the third time. Not trying to hate on the series because I love it. Just feels like Oda may be running out of ideas.

Last edited by Vindieselwalker; April 2nd, 2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindieselwalker View Post
    In Arlong Park, Nami leaves to go handle things in Arlong Park alone similarly to Sanji going to get married. Both of these arcs end up showing Nami and Sanji ask Luffy for help against the Fishmen and Big Mom Pirates after trying to shoulder everything by themselves. Yeah there’s obviously a lot of different things that happen in each arc, but it still feels like a template being reused. You could say the same thing about Enies Lobby.
    Feels like I’m reading the same arc for the third time. Not trying to hate on the series because I love it. Just feels like Oda may be running out of ideas.
    I mean, unlike Enies Lobby or Arlong Park, this arc didn't end in a clear victory did it. Hell, it didn't even end with them liberating anything of importance(besides Katakuri emotionally), it was a far more cynical take on those arcs at best if you really want to consider them as a similar template(which for the most part, they really aren't).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information