Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Default Re: Chapter 936: Sumo Inferno

Viz's translation inspired my new signature

Spoiler:

Diez X Drake is in this chapter....I'm giving this chapter 10/10

Is it me or drake and vinsmokes have similar hair...

Sunkist to the rescue yet again.

Nobody can lay a finger on invisi-kist.

But Dino boy does seem to think he can take him

My boy Sanji always comes through!

I hope Benkei is a high-tier fighter at best.

I kept flip-floping on whether or not I liked this chapter, but now that I've read the official translations I think I'm leaning towards "like." The jokes landed better for me here.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Check out my channel!!
    "Yeah I'm Awesome like that!!!"

The "Kapapa" of Kawamatsu gave me a whiplash flashback of CP9's Fukuro (Chapapa)

Post timeskip Sanji would've immediately died this chapter. Good thing he has grown from Fishmen island.

So Raizou probably has Kidd handcuffs keys, no way that it's not gonna have a payoff. And with so many people from North Blue seen Stealth Black, Germa might end being considered and Straw Hat allied country by the end of the Reverie.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Ugh, sorry I haven't done one of these in so many weeks. It's been a very crazy past month. But here are the comparisons for this week's chapter (not many this time):
    • In both of the scanlations, Kawamatsu apologetically asks Raizo to break him out, while in the official translation, he says "First you must break me out of here, Raizo." Also, in the Jaimini's Box version, Kawa specifically states that the door is so rusty he's not sure if it'll open with the keys, whereas in Mangastream and VIZ, he says he's not sure if "they" will open since "they're" so rusted, presumably talking about both the door and the handcuffs.
    • When the audience is cheering about the "death match" about to start, one speech bubble in MS (which seems to be from Luffy) just says "More!", while in JB and VIZ, it's Luffy commenting on how many men there are.
    • When Kawamatsu is saying that Luffy better not let Hyogoro die, he says "I'm counting on you, Luffytaro" in both scanlations, but instead says "We need him, Luffytaro" in the official version, which has the added effect of making it clear that he already sees himself and Luffy as allies.
    • JB has the comment that it's easy to search a bathhouse, while VIZ instead says that a bathhouse is a perfect place to hide. MS, as is often the case, is pretty vague, just saying that a bathhouse is perfect for "this".
    • MS has Drake call Hawkins and their men idiots, while in JB and VIZ, he's calling Soba Mask the idiot that he needs to eliminate, and tells Hawkins and co. to handle the small stuff themselves. Also, in MS, the onlookers refer to Nami's naked body as "supermodel-level", while in JB and VIZ, it's a "national treasure".
    • In MS, when referring to the capture of Bepo, Shachi, and Penguin, Sanji says that "They're trying to break out Traffy!", which sounds weird. JB and VIZ correctly have him state that "they" (as in, the bad guys who captured them) are trying to "lure out" Law. What he says after this is different in all three versions, too; he says "We've gotta stop them!" in MS, "We have to get to him first!" in JB, and "We need to get him under control" in VIZ (which makes it sound like Law is already running around rampaging about it).
    • After Zoro says he knows Shusui was stolen, the other samurai says in MS "Then hand it over!", despite the fact that he already stole it. In JB and VIZ, he tells Zoro to go away instead.
    Hidden:

I could never be a translator because there is a 0% chance I pass up the opportunity to make this joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Viz's translation inspired my new signature

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I hope Benkei is a high-tier fighter at best.
    So he will become Zoro's follower. I wonder if it is one of the characters we heard about or a new one. He doesn't look like any silhouhete. So probably the latter.
    If he has 999 swords like the legend it's a good catch

While I'm enjoying the current plot threads, I think the last few chapters have suffered from the Dressrosa era pacing problems I thought Oda had moved past. What I mean is it would probably have been better to do the bathhouse set piece in one dedicated chapter and the jailbreak in a dedicated chapter instead of doing two chapters with half of each. The pacing, in hindsight, isn't really that slow, but because each of the scenes we're cutting between only has time to take a single baby step, it feels a lot slower than it is. Volume readers are likely to have a better time with this part of the story.

The prison scene had some good laughs this week. Luffy's response to the cuffs coming off was perfect, and yes, I'm among the people assuming he'll just rubberneck his way out of the Battle Royal collar. Still no Kawamatsu reveal makes me sad, but at least Raizo is still fun to watch. Hyogoro's a good guy, asking to let Luffy fight alone. I like the old guy. Wonder if there's something special about him, or if Kawamatsu just thinks he should live because he's influential in the underworld.

The most interesting bit of trivia from the bathhouse this week is that the Koizuki tattoo is specifically a waning crescent. Over in the timeline thread, where the phases of the moon and their consistency were a topic of debate, there was some question as to whether the crescents Oda drew (they were all pointing the same way) were meant to be waxing or waning (since the phases are already too fast, so why couldn't they go the other way as well). A new, maximum power happiness punch was not a call back I was expecting, but I'll certainly take it. I'm not sold on the need for fanservice, but come on, I'm not made of stone. I enjoyed that Nami had the good sense to make fun of Sanji's outfit, and I'm curious to see where him being recognised as Germa goes. I wonder if the rest of the Vinsmoke clan are in the brig of the Queen Mama Chanter right now?

Not much worth saying about Zoro's little scene yet. Good to know we're finally building towards the lore that's been on the cards for the better part of a decade. Anyone think we'll get a retelling of Monsters with the Ryuma history, or will Oda let the original one-shot remain the canon version. The weapon collector has a fantastic character design.

We're about halfway through volume 93 now, which means its a good time for all this buildup to start turning into payoff. Looking forward to next week.

Ohhhhh katakuri, marco and carrot on the cover of the Next chapter!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/OPcom_inf...07381422821378

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf1234 View Post
    Ohhhhh katakuri, marco and carrot on the cover of the Next chapter!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/OPcom_inf...07381422821378
    That is not the cover of the next chapter. That's the colour version of a piece of fanart featured in volume 92. You could at least google translate the text in the tweet before you make that kind of bold claim.

I will repost an interesting fact concerning Kawamatsu which was posted in several areas of the spoiler thread and which was resumed by badwolf1234
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf1234 View Post
    The clues still points to Otter Mink:

*Inuarashi's flashback when they arrived in Wano shows a shadow beside him with Kasa hat (chapter 920)
    *We know one of the 9 Red Scabbards wears a kasa hat
    *There is an Otter Yokai that spits fishbones wears a kasa hat and disguise as a human(Kawauso)
    *The laugh of kawamatsu relates more to the sounds of an otter

I thought Otters sounded like a crying puppy.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information