+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 876: "A Man of Honor - Jimbei Prepared To Die At Sea"

Default 876: "A Man of Honor - Jimbei Prepared To Die At Sea"

Oh would you look at the time, it's time-for-Jimbei-to-die-o'clock.

Title: "A Man of Honor - Jimbei Prepared To Die At Sea"
    Chapters Covered: 901
    Episode Director: Masahiro Hosoda (***)
    Animation Director: Shuuichi Ito (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 876: "A Man of Honor - Jimbei Prepared To Die At Sea"

I love Jinbe and his heroic suicidal tendencies.

One Piece Episode 877 Preview

It was an ok episode.

The direction was fairly acceptable, but could've been better imo. The scene between Luffy and Jinbei was the best scene direction-wise, but was also kinda slow. Speaking of slow, this episode was rather slow paced imo and the repeated stills of the Fishmen getting shot by cannon balls doesn't help at all.

Good thing that some of the animation bits are making up for the bittersweet direction in this episode, with Katsumi Ishizuka, Yong-ce Tu and Yoichi Mitsui providing some interesting key animation in this episode. The highlight of the animaiton was clearly Ishizuka's big over the top clash with Oven.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

The first half of the episode was pretty solid. The Sunny rescue scene flowed well enough that I don't know if anime watchers would have as much issue with the scene as manga readers. The character shots had some pretty good impact, at first. However, the quality started to slip when the Sun Pirates went into battle, the shots started getting repetitive and most of the scenes lacked impact (worst of them all being Aladine's clash with Oven, which had some great buildup and ended on a really soft impact). Quality started picking back up when Jinbe got into the mix, and it felt closer to the beginning of the episode. So overall, it was pretty average.

Spoiler:

Any episode where Jinbe isn't drawn like a blue potato is a pleasant surprise. He looked pretty good for most of the ep, seems the artists are getting used to his design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Any episode where Jinbe isn't drawn like a blue potato is a pleasant surprise. He looked pretty good for most of the ep, seems the artists are getting used to his design.
    Think it was just the supervisor this time around...

Pretty solid episode.While not overtly animated, it did have a few decently animated scenes, the notable ones being Tu's work in the first half animating Oven's torpedoes and setting Wadatsumi on fire, pretty conservative stuff considering his work on 870, but still nice enough. Yoichi Mitsui's portion off Aladdin vs Oven wasn't overtly impactful but his effects and art were nice, and Katsumi Ishizuka handled the highlight of the episode in Aladdin vs Oven's clash, which was enjoyably ridiculously over the top, if a little basic for Ishizuka nowadays. The art throughout the episode was generally pretty solid as well, with Shuichi Ito making sure everything feels like Oda in key scenes, but otherwise, the episode was fairly limited in terms of action animation, with there being a noticeable reuse of a few scenes.As for the direction, I felt Masahiro Hosoda did quite well, in the sense that the action felt nicely paced and quite grand in scale, as the board seemed to make do with limited animation seemingly being intentionally kept in mind. The music placement was also extremely on point in my opinion, with it really landing for every comedic beat, and while I don't think the episode was exactly atmospheric, I think he did a good job with landing the intensity of some scenes, as well as did a good job of adapting the pacing of some scenes from the manga to the anime, for example Jinbei's speech about emptying the ship of water, having an ominous feeling due to how deliberate and slow his saying it(which I feel was warranted). Liked the filler this episode, emphasized Oven and Aladdin as the MVP's of the Big Mum pirates and the Sun pirates at this period of time, with Aladdin demonstrating some impressive power. Anyway, pretty solid stuff.Overall, limited episode, but I think despite being limited in many ways, it still did a good job of capturing the key beats from the manga due to strong music placement, as well as shots that did a good job of capturing the scale of the conflict, littered in with some awesome scenes. Solid episode.Next episode should be good. The series director is on board, and the content its covering is great. Seems like they've hidden all the good stuff outside of the preview. Hoping it lives up to hype(don't expect it to be overtly animated though).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information