+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 91 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1802

Thread: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Default Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

The Wild Area, what it could have been. I will put the complaints under tags so I don't feel bad for spreading negativity.

Spoiler:
    Add some high level trainers there for the post game, unique NPCs for you to interact (the digging duo were a good example, shouldn't be the only one), some old ruins, a temple you can explore, puzzles you need to solve in order to gain access to new areas... the possibilities are endless to actually make the maps unique so the different sub-areas don't look all exactly the same. Nothing of what I mentioned would be new to the franchise, nothing beyond what they have done before and therefore beyond their skills, and that just makes the more underwhelming we ended up with that vast wasteland.
    That's particularly appalling when you consider the Wild Area is Galar/SwSh poster feature, if they didn't walked the extra mile there and settled for "it is there, enjoy, it's pokémon", how could you expect the extra effort on anything else? I don't know who and what to blame, I agree calling GF lazy is irresponsible when we don't know how things went, maybe they actually did their best within the annual schedule, maybe this is something far beyond their power within TPCi and Nintendo, but regardless of blame the reality is that the resulting product is what it is.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; November 27th, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

Man I really shouldnt have sold my PS3 before I finished Ni no Kuni.
    Wonder if there's a save file mod somewhere.

Ni no kuni will be on digital sale on switch.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Man I really shouldnt have sold my PS3 before I finished Ni no Kuni.
    Wonder if there's a save file mod somewhere.
    Its on both PS4 and Switch.

Its a game I enjoyed right up until the end, because I went for the platinum on it there was a tooooon of end game grind and that soured my experience, but it was pretty solid up until that point.

Ninokuni 2 of course completely dropped the pokemon system for a pikmin one instead, which is a shame because they had a lot of good stuff for their first time out.
    Last edited by Robby; November 27th, 2019 at 03:07 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I suppose I might as well add my opinions about the game. It's gonna be random musings because that is just my style.

I went into Sword and Shield as blind as I could manage. I knew the starters and I stumbled upon 3 or 4 random other Pokemon by being on the internet. Other than that, I knew that lots of people were unhappy because of a smaller Pokedex and a forced ExpShare, but that's it.

I'm not a big graphics person. As long as they reach a certain threshold, I don't even notice or care. So that wasn't an issue at all.

Protagonist me being the most silent and passive person imaginable was unfortunate. Hop was fine but too loud which goes hand in hand with me being a bystander. I enjoyed Bede and actually thought his little story arc was fun and unexpected. Until he randomly challenged me in the end and everybody was fine with it. That whole final tournament was such a tease. Just let me fight the champ already, I don't want random challengers interrupting a scheduled tournament, I don't want Rose to randomly interrupt his own (?) scheduled tournament! I just wanna become the champion...also, it seems super unfair that my pokemon had to fight Bede and immediately afterwards participate in the tournament. But anway...

The whole thing about Rose trying to fight gobal warming or whatever he was doing was super sloppy and yeah, only hearing about more important people fighting Dynamax pokemon throughout the story was very frustrating. There wasn't really any payoff to that either. We eventually go down to the basement to confront Rose and fight him because why exactly? Weren't we trying to stop Eternatus? Which wasn't in the basement. So we go out of our way to battle Rose who wasn't doing anything and afterwards confront the legendary Pokemon. I was looking forward to an interesting fight in which I would try to catch Eternatus with a Premier Ball because I just like to do that with my legendaries. So I stocked up on them by getting about 50 just in case. Turns out there's no chance of not catching this one. And I don't even have to weaken it, I just kill it off. That was disappointing. Post-game was pretty forgettable (lol at the random betrayal by newly introduced assistant), except I quite enjoyed hanging out with Piers. I did not enjoy the first three or four gym leaders letting me know that they would be around should I ever need their help. What about right now when we are currently fighting off Dynamax pokemon throughout the land?! No? Okay, we'll deal with it, I guess.

That was a lot of story talk and ultimately that doesn't really matter in a Pokemon game. So let's move on to other things.

I hated the ExpShare until I realized that the game was balanced around it and I actually still had to grind every now and then. Now I thoroughly enjoy having it. Although it being optional seems like a no-brainer.
    I was not a fan of Dynamax pokemon and I think I still don't really like the concept. But I got used to stalling for three turns and then proceeding with the battle.
    The Gym Challenges started out great. Until suddenly the last two challenges consisted of...fighting a bunch of trainers. Yeah, I hear players like doing that. I wish we could have gotten another one like the Ghost challenge instead.
    The limited Pokedex doesn't really faze me at all. All I care about is the ability of finishing the dex and a smaller list makes that easier. What doesn't make it easier is the very limited way of trading at least when compared to Sun and Moon. Plus the fact that the online service requires you to pay more money. I actually didn't know this until after I had beaten the game and I was trying to figure out how to get exclusives. That was a sucky realization. My biggest gripe with this game, possibly the only actual one.

I suppose I could talk about the Pokemon, huh? I liked the new additions for the most part. My team consisted of nothing but new pokemon that I liked visually, so I used (time to look up all the English names...):

Rillaboom (now looking at the other starters' final evolutions, I got real lucky...)
    Sandaconda (I wasn't sure about Silicobra, but good lord, Sandaconda is glorious)
    Greedent (probably my favourite design and it packed a punch, too)
    Corviknight (I encountered Rookidee's final form in the Wild Area and knew I had to get one)
    Drednaw (I was close to kicking Chewtle off the team but I liked the type coverage, Drednaw looks great though)
    Coalossal (what do you mean, my team can't handle Fighting types...?)

Thievul and Dubwool both made it far thanks to their designs but were eventually left behind. I also really liked Centiskorch but I never got around to using it.

All in all, I spend a good week playing the game and had a very hard time putting it down. I have now started breeding and creating perfect competitive pokemon that I will then never ever use because it's more fun for me to make them than use them. Except maybe in the battle tower a little bit. So that should let me get a lot more hours of enjoyment out of the game. So it was definitely worth getting. But it could have been a much better game.
    Last edited by Huschel; November 27th, 2019 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Do you like me randomly bolding some words? Just trying something...
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Its on both PS4 and Switch.

Its a game I enjoyed right up until the end, because I went for the platinum on it there was a tooooon of end game grind and that soured my experience, but it was pretty solid up until that point.

Ninokuni 2 of course completely dropped the pokemon system for a pikmin one instead, which is a shame because they had a lot of good stuff for their first time out.
    I still haven't played Ni No Kuni 2 because of how disappointed I was in them dropping the combat system. I thought 1's was excellent and with refinement, could have been a definitive type of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Sword and Shield are no different in that regard, but the quadruple punch of having the game built up as the ultimate Pokemon game on a home console made specifically for hardcore fans, then learning that a large number (more than half as it turned out) of Pokemon were being cut from the game, combined with the years of silent resentment fans have had for Gamefreak at having to put up with this cycle, further combined with the fact that all the other big Nintendo games have shown amazing innovation on the same console have caused a lot of people to complain very loudly about some old problems that should have been solved on the GBA and DS.
    Honestly I think the only thing different this time around is people having their expectations blown way out of proportion. Nobody promised the ultimate revolutionary console game for hardcore fans. They simply assured people that a mainline Switch game was in fact coming, after fans questioned 1) Ultra S/M being on 3DS instead of Switch and 2) Let's Go seeming like a dumbed-down casual experience. Expecting this entry to suddenly magically be perfect is totally unreasonable.

I get being upset about the Dex but that's its own issue and trying to dismantle every other little issue and justifying it as "the straw that broke the camel's back" is a bit warped. If just about every aspect has been bad and lazy and boring for multiple generations, maybe people should have been making themselves heard that whole time, maybe with their wallet by moving on to fully-fleshed RPGs that fit their preferences. For current times, Ni no Kuni is a fantastic suggestion. I also think it's always, just always, a lose-lose situation with a lot of these people. The Wild Area is a vast expanse with free-roam camera, mons showing in the overworld as well as in grass, dangerous over-leveled wild encounters, and co-op raid battles. This is a massive, drastic change for the series and a huge step in a good direction IMO. But it doesn't matter because people point to anything they can as still being stagnant, complain that the area isn't big enough or diverse enough or that they can't catch the big overpowered stuff or that the trees are ugly. These people are going to be pissed no matter what so it feels pointless.

The only way we'll ever get a Pokémon game with the type of overhauls people are discussing (if you can even call it Pokémon by then) is if they shift to a much slower development cycle, with years between releases. Only then would it be fair to begin comparing Sw/Sh to some of these other massive titles that do this or that better. I think that would be great, but that's not the world we live in. Best to move on from the series instead if that's your bar. That said I'm also guessing the shift from handheld to console was rough for Gamefreak. I would expect things to go more smoothly in that regard moving forward.

But I mean, I do understand the complaints. And Robby has a lot of sensible points about QoL improvements. There are several things I think they could have done better and Switch Online is still terrible, but I feel I can't really have constructive conversations about any of it because of how overwhelmingly negative and toxic a very vocal subset of people has been for months. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Huschel View Post
    Except maybe in the battle tower a little bit.
    I do still want to talk about the Battle Tower! And I don't have that many good things to say about it so lol. (BTW Huschel your text bolding was... interesting :P )

The main issue with the Battle Tower is the rewards suck. Once you clear Master tier, streaks mean nothing because you still get 2BP every battle. You don't even get anything for making it through all 10 battles and beating Leon again; literally nothing. You continue to get periodic rewards for total number of wins, but there's no way it's worth it unless you just absolutely need the BP for a specific mint. If you need bottle caps just farm Watts for the digging duo instead.

The other issue is most of the enemy teams are annoying and gimmicky. Tons of stall, which I guess is understandable since you can Dynamax but the NPCs can't, but it makes it largely unfun when you're just constantly playing around protection moves and status ailments. Sure, use Yawn and then Effect Spore my next mon and then get a double Protect and then Draining Kiss. Thrilling. The Battle Tree in S/M was way better.

Honestly though I just ended up beating everything with the "Skill" rental team. The best way I found to break through that was to No Retreat with Falinks then Dynamax and sweep. That team is really weak to Fairy but Falinks can usually still break through. On the rare occasion that Falinks got taken out, I was always able to sweep with Gyarados afterward (sometimes without even needing Dragon Dance). I think Duraladon might be there to deal with Fairies but I mostly went with Grimmsnarl because it can stall Leon's Charizard surprisingly well and lower its Special Attack to pathetic levels.

I only lost a single time due to getting screwed massively by RNG. Got frozen at one point and didn't thaw for 5 turns in a row, then another mon with a Quick Claw triggered it every turn and never let me attack. Otherwise it was a breeze. I tried the "Rain" team for a period as well. I won every match with it, but rounds felt much slower because it doesn't break through stall-y teams as quickly. When the opponent stalls out the rain or gets up a Tailwind it just takes a while.
    Last edited by Foolio; November 27th, 2019 at 08:01 PM.

The online really needs to be made better. It's too difficult to find someone to join you and too difficult to join another person. It's been very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Huschel View Post
    I went into Sword and Shield as blind as I could manage. I knew the starters and I stumbled upon 3 or 4 random other Pokemon by being on the internet. Other than that, I knew that lots of people were unhappy because of a smaller Pokedex and a forced ExpShare, but that's it.
    Same here! I saw a bunch of Galarian forms from thumbnails on Youtube videos but other than that, I was incredibly blind going in. The forced ExpShare caught me off guard but I suppose if the Champion still outlevels you at the end, it was there for a reason.

I also just finished Sword recently. Hop had quite a bit of dialogue, didn't he? Geez. Much of the story was revolved around his development. I couldn't help but imagine someone who was powering through the game having to see Hop 10+ times a play session. At least Hau was amusing and left an impression on me. Hop can go in the pile with all the Gen 6 rivals that I barely remember.

All of the wacky moments were great and made up for the weaker than usual story. Opal got the most laughs out of me. I didn't expect more questions during the battle with her. And the brainwashing of Bede was perfect. Cramorant shenanigans, the rejected Fisher Price toy fossils, Piers' silent introduction, and Flapple's existance just showed that GameFreak is starting to lose their marbles, and I love it.

Spoiler:
    Sordward and Shielbert can do no wrong in my eyes. Just fucking hysterical. It's really hard to pay attention to the text boxes when that hair takes up half the screen. Opal was my fav for a while but right at the end, she got supplanted.

Gen 7's designs weren't bad at all but I think Gen 8 is way better and probably up there with Gen 6 for me. Going down the list, I can't really find a new mon I don't like besides 3 of the fossils and maybe Impadimp and Inteleon. I always pick the water starter and finally got the objectively worst looking one lol. But it's awesome signature move gives it a pass. In the inevitable sequel I'm definitely picking Scorbunny. So I didn't talk to the Day Care person that gives out Toxel and found out way later lol. I probably would've had it on my team. But I happened to get Arctozolt from the Fossils which covers Electric. It also happens to be the only Fossil mon that doesn't look like a mistake.

My team ended up being

Inteleon
    Centiskorch
    Flapple
    Grapploct
    Grimmsnarl
    Arctozolt

Centiskorch was the MVP for being pretty damn bulky and hit like a truck. Falinks was hard to move on from but Grapploct is just the better gimmick Fighting type. Flapple was the only one that couldn't pull its weight late game but I had to keep it because it's so ridiculous. I kept trying to lead with it and use Dragon Dance but always got quickly beaten anyways. I had to break my No Revive rule just so it wouldn't fall too behind in experience. So I don't do anything as intense as a Nuzlocke but I try to go through the game with no grinding, Set instead of Switch, no revives during battle, and as little healing as possible. I wiped once against the cafe guy and again at Leon because Aegislash took out a couple of my Pokemon and his Charizard was surprisingly fast.(assuming it doesn't have EVs.) I probably spammed potions during a couple fights as well but I don't recall exactly which ones. Dynamax/Gigantamax was way easier to combat than the broken totems in Gen 7, but I want to know the math behind them in raids(which I haven't done much of.) The HP and/or defensive boosts seem like they're massive.

I'm not sure if I'll try to finish the dex since I haven't since Omega Ruby but--trigger warning--it's not as daunting now is it?
    Last edited by NateRich; November 27th, 2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Oh yeah, had to resort to Quick Ball on Zacian. Stop spamming Swords Dance you asshat

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    I do still want to talk about the Battle Tower! And I don't have that many good things to say about it so lol. (BTW Huschel your text bolding was... interesting :P )
    I appreciate the feedback. And you're right, I should have bolded Battle Tower. :(
    Last edited by Huschel; November 27th, 2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Too late now
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    Spoiler:
    Sordward and Shielbert can do no wrong in my eyes. Just fucking hysterical. It's really hard to pay attention to the text boxes when that hair takes up half the screen. Opal was my fav for a while but right at the end, she got supplanted.
    Oh, yes. Those two should be part of the main plot, their antics were the best thing in the entire game story. The part about giving it "1 star" had me legit laughing for a good while

Spoiler:
    Am I the only one who found it even funnier (probably not in an intentional way) that every time Sordward and Shielbert stole something the regular happy "got an item" theme played?

Honestly I think the only thing different this time around is people having their expectations blown way out of proportion. Nobody promised the ultimate revolutionary console game for hardcore fans. They simply assured people that a mainline Switch game was in fact coming, after fans questioned 1) Ultra S/M being on 3DS instead of Switch and 2) Let's Go seeming like a dumbed-down casual experience. Expecting this entry to suddenly magically be perfect is totally unreasonable.
    The bare minimum we should reasonably have expected was a significantly larger than average game with all of the older models and animations for all 314 returning Pokemon redone from scratch. If the game was big enough and polished enough (and they followed through on their promise to make all-new models and animations for all the old Pokemon, making everything look way better on the Switch) I think most people would be a lot happier.

I get being upset about the Dex but that's its own issue and trying to dismantle every other little issue and justifying it as "the straw that broke the camel's back" is a bit warped. If just about every aspect has been bad and lazy and boring for multiple generations, maybe people should have been making themselves heard that whole time, maybe with their wallet by moving on to fully-fleshed RPGs that fit their preferences.
    I agree, and that did happen a fair amount, but the games always sold like crazy regardless.
    I distinctly remember joining an online Pokemon community for trading in 2007 and immediately being confronted by a lot of hate and bitterness for Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond and Pearl, but people kept playing because the games consumed a large amount of time for a relatively small amount of money and it was fun to catch em all.

For current times, Ni no Kuni is a fantastic suggestion. I also think it's always, just always, a lose-lose situation with a lot of these people. The Wild Area is a vast expanse with free-roam camera, mons showing in the overworld as well as in grass, dangerous over-leveled wild encounters, and co-op raid battles. This is a massive, drastic change for the series and a huge step in a good direction IMO. But it doesn't matter because people point to anything they can as still being stagnant, complain that the area isn't big enough or diverse enough or that they can't catch the big overpowered stuff or that the trees are ugly. These people are going to be pissed no matter what so it feels pointless.
    I bought Sword almost exclusively because of the innovations, so I wouldn't say it doesn't matter.
    However... calling the Wild Area "a huge step in a good direction" is problematic because we have no good reason to believe it won't be removed for the next game. Gamefreak's innovations are a lot like Sonic Team's, with each new game having promising new features that never end up fully realized.

The stagnation complaints largely come from the fact that many of the returning features were also never fully realized because for whatever reason no one at Gamefreak was allowed to put any significant time, effort, or thought into properly refining them. Obtaining and hatching eggs is my favorite example of a horribly implemented hand-me-down feature that doesn't respect the player's time in any way.

The only way we'll ever get a Pokémon game with the type of overhauls people are discussing (if you can even call it Pokémon by then) is if they shift to a much slower development cycle, with years between releases. Only then would it be fair to begin comparing Sw/Sh to some of these other massive titles that do this or that better. I think that would be great, but that's not the world we live in. Best to move on from the series instead if that's your bar. That said I'm also guessing the shift from handheld to console was rough for Gamefreak. I would expect things to go more smoothly in that regard moving forward.
    Every single person I have ever spoken to on this subject in the thousands of discussions I've had with people over the last ten years agrees that Gamefreak needs to switch to a much slower development cycle.
    A lot of those people buy the games anyway and just complain. That is the world we live in.

But I mean, I do understand the complaints. And Robby has a lot of sensible points about QoL improvements. There are several things I think they could have done better and Switch Online is still terrible, but I feel I can't really have constructive conversations about any of it because of how overwhelmingly negative and toxic a very vocal subset of people has been for months. But...
    I don't want to put this in an antagonistic way, but you really have to recognize that there's an equally toxic subset of Sword and Shield defenders who continually harass people critical of the games. The problem boils down to Twitter and 4chan assholes with no shame and no filter.

Alrighty, I need one more Fossilized Dino and I will have a Living Dex of everything I can get by myself in Shield. Plus 4 Sword exlusives. I suppose once that is done, I can get to shiny hunting or breeding. Although what's the point of it all when Umbreon can't learn Toxic anymore? Why would you force me out of my comfort zone like that? It's plain rude is what it is.
    Spoiler:

Ever since I beat the fifth gym the game keeps crashing every time I put my Switch on standby mode.

I haven't lost any data yet but I can't believe they haven't patched this.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

A Twitter of videos showing Falinks marching from everything from Kirby's Gourmet Race to Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive.

https://twitter.com/FalinksMarching

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

I'll repeat myself. Falinks is one of those designs who are shit in the leak, but they take so much life and personality on movement.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Yeah I love my Falinks. Dude is fun to camp around with. Love his cheer when we win.

Oh my god, I hate the trading system in this game. Why did they get rid of the drop-off/request system? It was basically perfect!

Anyway, getting close to the end now. Finished the semi-finals and beat what's-her-name from Rose Tower.

I'm also a big fan of Falinks. It's just a freaking wonderful design, through and through. I think if they ever bring back baby pokemon, it'd be a prime candidate for a prevo.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information