+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Chapter 934: Hyogoro the Flower

Default Re: Chapter 934: Hyogoro the Flower

Prisoner Mine in Wano is kind of underwhelming tbh. Luffy is pretty much doing whatever he want, taking down Beast Pirates headliner guards with no repercussion, and overall feeling like ppl could come and go. Compare that to Prisoner Library in WCI, Opera was reading a book on the couch, and there was nothing Luffy could do except rage and scream. Beast Pirates headliner hurts old man in Prisoner Mine and Luffy takes them out, Opera threatened Nami in Prisoner Library and Luffy could do NOTHING except trying to rip off his own arms.

Also pls don’t give me the “because Luffy is stronger than...” excuse. Opera is same tier as Dobon, yet managed to be more threatening in prison scene while reading a book than Dobon did while claiming to cut limbs. WCI Prison is better designed imo, since it managed to make prisoners feel completely helpless, even when the warden is significantly weaker compared to Luffy.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by fakescorpion View Post
    Prisoner Mine in Wano is kind of underwhelming tbh. Luffy is pretty much doing whatever he want, taking down Beast Pirates headliner guards with no repercussion, and overall feeling like ppl could come and go. Compare that to Prisoner Library in WCI, Opera was reading a book on the couch, and there was nothing Luffy could do except rage and scream. Beast Pirates headliner hurts old man in Prisoner Mine and Luffy takes them out, Opera threatened Nami in Prisoner Library and Luffy could do NOTHING except trying to rip off his own arms.

Also pls don’t give me the “because Luffy is stronger than...” excuse. Opera is same tier as Dobon, yet managed to be more threatening in prison scene while reading a book than Dobon did while claiming to cut limbs. WCI Prison is better designed imo, since it managed to make prisoners feel completely helpless, even when the warden is significantly weaker compared to Luffy.
    It was always flawed from the get go because its purpose is to break Luffy's spirit and subordinate him. Which is impossible. Its purpose feels much more reminiscient of the Corrida Colosseum than the Prisoner Library.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by fakescorpion View Post
    Prisoner Mine in Wano is kind of underwhelming tbh. Luffy is pretty much doing whatever he want, taking down Beast Pirates headliner guards with no repercussion
    Queen, the actual warden of the prison, has just arrived as Luffy's about to attack a 2nd guard in plain view unlike what happened with Dobon. So we'll see how that plays out, as Queen was the only one I expected to pose a threat to begin with.

and overall feeling like ppl could come and go.
    Only two people have done that, with one of them being a stealthy ninja, the other leaving while still in seastone cuffs. Luffy could likely do the same, but it wouldn't be in his best interest.

Compare that to Prisoner Library in WCI, Opera was reading a book on the couch, and there was nothing Luffy could do except rage and scream. Beast Pirates headliner hurts old man in Prisoner Mine and Luffy takes them out, Opera threatened Nami in Prisoner Library and Luffy could do NOTHING except trying to rip off his own arms.
    Because they're different prisons with entirely different purposes. In WCI they're pinned down with apparently unbreakable nails, as they want them stuck there so as to not disrupt the wedding. They planned on killing them later on.

The Udon Prisoner Mines on the other hand is designed to have the prisoners act as a workforce, even equipping Luffy and co. with seastone cuffs that are weaker than normal ones so they're able to actually work. So naturally they have to be able to move around.

Barring whatever Queen may do, I would argue that it's pretty clear Oda is (at least so far) purposely not going for any sense of hopelessness like he's done with past instances of Luffy being imprisoned. The prisoners and Hyou already see him and Kid as their "stars of hope". The initial shock aside, the Strawhats are all largely confident that he'll recover and escape before long. IMO, it's just a way to setup Kid (and Caribou's) reintroduction, as well as Hyou and whoever that mystery prisoner turns out to be. Could also argue it's there to keep Luffy still so we can better see what the rest of the alliance is up to in the meantime.
    Last edited by Blissed; March 3rd, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    Much as I want to see Luffy get into a serious fight, I'm even more eager to watch Kaido's face when he learns that Big Mom in person broke Luffy out of jail and his lead performer. There can be some fighting beforehand, but it's too good an opportunity to pass so I won't mind if a Queen battle is interrupted to make way for some Charlotte-flavoured mayhem.

Also, an alternative that we shouldn't yet rule out: with Luffy still in shackles and the caliber of his opponent, we get a one-way pseudo-fight that only serves to introduce Queen's DF before he sets off to track Kidd. Exit Queen, we'll see him again at Onigashima. Back in Udon, Luffy is captured and sentenced to lose an arm/leg/head, but that's precisely when Chopper and Olin barge in and all hell breaks loose.
    I just thought of something. They said Kidd's cuffs were still on but the dude has only one arm to cuff if his DF ability prevents him from creating his prosthetic one. What would it matter to him to cut off the other hand, Shiki-style, and just make another prosthetic hand in the same fashion once his DF ability works again? Could be how he escaped in the first place. That, or Killer came back and sprung him (or both.) Who knows, maybe one or both of them will enter the fray after all looking for revenge once they've gotten reinforcements or have healed up enough to be battle-ready. What better way to get at Kaido than through one of his highest lieutenants? I definitely would rather see Luffy take on the man himself rather than one of the Calamities (the big team-ups look best as the way to get at them, like Sanji, Law and some of the others vs. King, and Nekomamushi, Zoro and some of the others vs. Jack, with Kidd, Jimbei and some of the others vs. Queen.) Luffy having someone like Moria show up and Nightmare him up again would be my best bet on how Luffy would stand up against Kaido. If Big Mom gets involved, I don't see this ending well for her and in spite of everything, I don't want to see that happen now that I'm witnessing her ability to potentially change. We saw it in Katakuri, after all, so maybe it runs in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by blue-san View Post
    I ll be honest, the only thing bothering me in this arc is Big Mom's amnesia presence...

Her being here is ok, but her being here with amnesia I severely dislike, convinient some would say...
    That bothered me too but here's how I think it might work (not that Oda is 100% consistent with things anyway): Zeus buggered off with Nami of his own volition and so no longer cared what Mama thought about it. Napoleon, the one who stayed loyal, is, while not the liberated free spirit that Zeus has become (Zeus forgetting he's a manifestation of Big Mom isn't going to really come up in conversation-he's Nami's pet and convincing him of this anew won't be difficult at all), in the same blank slate sort of state that Big Mom is in, not really sure what's going on but not in any immediate danger and ergo not needing to be in vigilance mode or attack mode. Big Mom was pretty much all business and scheming back in Tottoland so now in Wano she's pretty chill apart from being hungry, which might affect Napoleon as well, making him much more chill. Zeus always had that kind of laid-back, chill attitude anyway so we wouldn't recognize a change in him if that was the case since he's already like that. We would need to see Prometheus to really get a definitive reading on it but that's my observation.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information