+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 872: "A Desperate Situation - Luffy's Ironclad Trap!"

Default 872: "A Desperate Situation - Luffy's Ironclad Trap!"

One of these years I really need to take a look and see how many episode titles lead off with "A Desperate Situation" or the like. Must be into the double-digits for sure.

Title: "A Desperate Situation - Luffy's Ironclad Trap!"
    Chapters Covered: 897
    Episode Director: Yoshihiro Ueda (**1/2)
    Animation Director: Masahiro Kitazaki (***1/2)
    Time: 7:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 872: "A Desperate Situation - Luffy's Ironclad Trap!"

Pekoms Sulong Form - Episode 872 https://yadi.sk/i/HUYCKNJhUBBAiA

One Piece Episode 873 Preview
    Last edited by thaihoa91; February 9th, 2019 at 07:12 PM.

Probably the first episode in awhile I wasn't feeling, namely in the 2nd half.

They really stretched out the Pekoms thing a lot longer than it was in the Manga....also, were they implying one hit from Pekoms made Sanji faint? wtf?

I forget, didn't they suppress Pekoms' sulong in the manga so that he didn't actually do anything? Nice that they could expand on that a bit to let him have some action, but I don't like seeing him trash the decuplets like that. They're some of my favs.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    I forget, didn't they suppress Pekoms' sulong in the manga so that he didn't actually do anything? Nice that they could expand on that a bit to let him have some action, but I don't like seeing him trash the decuplets like that. They're some of my favs.
    Yeah, literally everything after Oven punches him is Anime-only regarding Pekoms. Up until the last seen where they go to take out his eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkestsith6 View Post
    Yeah, literally everything after Oven punches him is Anime-only regarding Pekoms. Up until the last seen where they go to take out his eyes.
    Wouldn't even call it that, the anime just had his crew straight up attempt to put him down for good.

Solid episode considering.

The direction and storyboard from Imamura and Ueda respectively were surprisingly more competent on a whole than I thought it was going to be. I liked the use of colour in relation to Pekoms as well as the moon light. Overall, pretty decent stuff I felt.

Animation wise, there was some nice action from Katsumi Ishizuka, who animated Super Saiyan Oven, and while the rest of the action was more art focused than anything else, and while there were some instances of nice effects, the majority of the animation relied far more on being illustrative than movement. A competent effort from Masahiro Kitazaki(the top key animator on the episode, who handled the majority of the action).

Although I don't usually talk about the plot, I think I would be a little remiss not to talk about the anime additions this episode, since they were extremely extensive. Although I think it did vary vastly from the manga, instead of showing the effectiveness of the Big Mum pirates in subduing Pekoms instantly, and kind of throwing his character under the rug as just another casuality, I enjoyed the reimagining of Pekoms going on a rampage and dying almost in a similar way to Pedro(getting Sanji and Luffy out of tight spot, if only temporarily). I would say Pekoms death was certainly left on a more memorable image than it was in the manga. Anyway, I enjoyed seeing more of the Big Mum pirates going into action, and I liked that Raisin actually got up from that Diable Janbe Sanji delivered him. I can easily see how a lot of people may dislike these additions, they are easily some of the most radical this arc, but I was perfectly fine with them(even the Sanji thing, Pekoms was a super strong guy regularly, him being in Sulong made him monstrously strong).

Anyway, solid episode on a whole, though I could definitely see how it could be polarising for the changes it made to the narrative content.

Next episode looks like it could be exciting. Satoshi Ito returns for his first time since 854 to take the directors seat beside Kenji Yokoyama. I think we'll be in for a good one(looks like we'll get some more minor anime additions this time around, but I don't think they'll be too intrusive).

The glory Sanji episode where he fails hard to save Luffy.

Hell even his Geppou is done in slow to mock him more

And Sanji scared shitless by Pekomz... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Probably the first episode in awhile I wasn't feeling, namely in the 2nd half.
    Same, I always say people overexaggerate pacing flaws but yeah...this kind of bugged me.

They manage to make all the tension disappear, we get an alright transformation but the filler along with it makes it look like sanji is in trouble but sulong pekoms effortlessly gets rid of them, which makes sanji look a lot weaker since he only got hit when he wasnt looking

Germa look great though

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post
    Solid episode considering.

The direction and storyboard from Imamura and Ueda respectively were surprisingly more competent on a whole than I thought it was going to be. I liked the use of colour in relation to Pekoms as well as the moon light. Overall, pretty decent stuff I felt.

Animation wise, there was some nice action from Katsumi Ishizuka, who animated Super Saiyan Oven, and while the rest of the action was more art focused than anything else, and while there were some instances of nice effects, the majority of the animation relied far more on being illustrative than movement. A competent effort from Masahiro Kitazaki(the top key animator on the episode, who handled the majority of the action).

Although I don't usually talk about the plot, I think I would be a little remiss not to talk about the anime additions this episode, since they were extremely extensive. Although I think it did vary vastly from the manga, instead of showing the effectiveness of the Big Mum pirates in subduing Pekoms instantly, and kind of throwing his character under the rug as just another casuality, I enjoyed the reimagining of Pekoms going on a rampage and dying almost in a similar way to Pedro(getting Sanji and Luffy out of tight spot, if only temporarily). I would say Pekoms death was certainly left on a more memorable image than it was in the manga. Anyway, I enjoyed seeing more of the Big Mum pirates going into action, and I liked that Raisin actually got up from that Diable Janbe Sanji delivered him. I can easily see how a lot of people may dislike these additions, they are easily some of the most radical this arc, but I was perfectly fine with them(even the Sanji thing, Pekoms was a super strong guy regularly, him being in Sulong made him monstrously strong).

Anyway, solid episode on a whole, though I could definitely see how it could be polarising for the changes it made to the narrative content.

Next episode looks like it could be exciting. Satoshi Ito returns for his first time since 854 to take the directors seat beside Kenji Yokoyama. I think we'll be in for a good one(looks like we'll get some more minor anime additions this time around, but I don't think they'll be too intrusive).
    It's just kind of a gutpunch though when they make sanjis attack look weaker and then have him struggle 1 vs 1 with the decuplets only for Pekoms to take them out w/ no difficulty
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

omg that was such great episode , art ,animation and the storyboard was amazing
    i give this episode 8,5/10 and i cant wait for next episode

As some people said, solid episode.

I gotta say, this is the best Ueda episode I've seen since the Sabo eating the mera mera no mi episode. Despite of some couple of hick-ups in terms of direction, like over-reliance on the same close-ups, that weightless explosion at the end and the Shida bank, this weeks output was quite competent given the fact that Ueda and Imamura are both the weakest directors on the show. I gotta give credit where credit is due. The background art, the pacing of the episode and some other interesting directional choices like Pekoms getting speared being blackened.

Solid art and animation overall. Kitazaki's brilliant close-up's and decent KA really elevated the episode and not to forget the highlight of the episode (animation wise) Katsumi Ishizuka, who made a short but impactful Oven attack cut. 862, 864, 867, 870, 872. Ishizuka really putting in work lately.

An slightly above average episode that could've been way worse, but turned out good.
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; February 10th, 2019 at 03:40 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Toei getting better and better at handling their animation resources it seems. I'm glad, though the reused animation is somewhat annoying, as it's an artifact from DBS i'd hoped wouldn't carry over to here. Pekoms fighting the silhouettes of Big Mom's Crew could have definitely been more animated it looked like a bunch of people standing and moving in unison, which just looks Janky.

As for the board and direction, it was less-than-decent. Things definitely needed more Impact for me to believe that Sanji would be taken anywhere close to unconsciousness. That's a weird scripting decision, but if it's there, you have to make Big Mom's crew look far more competent than they really are. I'm not sure if it's the script-writer or the director that dropped the ball here, but things needed to be far more dynamic for this to work. For As many characters were at that mirror, Sanji stays uninterrupted in the air for what seems like 6 minutes - mind you he's fighting a YONKO'S CREW. These aren't worthless mooks, these are the best of the best in this universe. Sanji then stops to rubberneck. Ugh! I get that in time it's supposed to be happening really quickly (like the Manga) BUT this isn't the manga, this is an adaptation with an extremely slow adaption rate of the manga material. There is always room for a good battle extension, Hell, there's always room for rearranging events so that they DO happen but in a different order think: Fuhrer King Bradley vs the Tank.

More needs to happen to both Sanji and Pekoms to justify how badly they're beaten up. Characters need to be entering the fray in the air, not as telegraphed attacks, but out of nowhere, Sanji needs to be surrounded as he must claws his way out. He needs to be overwhelmed by the numbers of BM Pirates that are in that scene. If sanji were already on the edge of being overwhelmed, then I would buy him briefly losing consciousness when Pedro strikes him. The setup is already there, now it's in execution, and that's where they really dropped the ball.

6/10

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention Backgrounds (I watched this last night not today): Who the hell hired the expressionists and WHERE ARE MORE OF THEM!!!!? I haven't seen Backgrounds that beautiful since Anastasia's Paris Holds the Key to your Heart Sequence, and they're also really different. It's like the WCI arc was a transformation in this show's art design. More Webgen-looking stuff, expressionist background art for seemingly no reason. Crazy Impact frame shapes. Keep this direction going. Next thing you know, Wano will look like a Woodblock print. I'm an animator so I'm a sucker for this stuff.
    Last edited by RJ Returns; February 10th, 2019 at 09:19 AM.
    “When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say”

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

The episode was all right, but a step below the past two. The intro scenes, namely the waiting at the beginning and Germa at the end, were pulled off pretty well. The action in the middle wasn't bad, but it lacked the fast, frantic pacing of the chapter which made the fight overall feel less interesting. Particularly Pekoms' Sulong; I didn't feel any impact when he went on the attack. Thought Sanji's attack on Raisin was pretty weak too. The filler wasn't awful either, but it had the same issues as the canon scenes. Guess they devoted most of the attention to the Germa action for next episode, which shouldn't really surprise me.

Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information