+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English releases)

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    While double spreads can be tricky in portrait mode that can be fixed by combining the 2 pages, but come on if fans and photoshop novices can do it official publisher can do it in a breeze.
    Again, that is not how it works. I work in publishing and comics specifically, and have been doing this for 20 years.

Their core files are almost certainly seperate pages, even when they are spreads. They are just taking their existing "to the printer" files, lowering the resolution for internet rather than print, and uploading them. This is something that can be automated, with a press or two of a button.

If they were making the files and pdfs from scratch, placing each page from loose files would take 15-20 minutes per chapter. That's just how long it takes in the pdf to go to "file find" "copy" "paste" "align to the margin", about a minute a page. That's if you're absolutely on your game, not wasting any time, clicking the correct page the first time every time, and imputting the allignment numbers correctly... but it can very easily turn into a longer process. And to do an actual full trade of any length is several hours of work just to do one volume. That's just how long it takes to assemble a basic 20 page pdf, assuming all the pages are numbered and sized correctly from the outset.

And that's *without* doing any editing to merge pages or rename them, that absolutely adds more time on top of that.

The fan scanlations merge their spreads by doing it on a week by week basis as they come out. They can manage that because they've done it all along like that, they're not doing anything else and just dealing with a dozen pages a week.

What you're asking the companies to do, is go back and physically look at every chapter of every title, merge the pages together, rename them, save a separate set of files, drop them into the layout template again, and then set it converting for upload.

That's something you can do as a labor of love on a small scale case by case basis. Merging a spread is easy individually, yes, and a professional publisher can absolutely do it. But merging XX,000 spreads in X00 different tiles over XXX volumes? Especially in a series like OP where Oda does multiple splash pages pretty much every chapter? That's a huuuge demand on manpower and resources for hundreds of hours for ultimately, very little reward.

Even if they do have a program that recognized "this page is labeled as A, this page is labeled as B, treat as a spread" that still involves many many hours of going through and manually renaming all the pages, and then updating the pdf so it can find them and display them at proper resolution. That also takes time.

Or you can just set your browser to display two pages at time like it does in the magazine and get the intended experience that they laid it out for in the first place.
    Last edited by Robby; February 2nd, 2019 at 02:49 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Was browsing the site clicked on tokyo ghoul and realized they even link to the german publisher to buy the volume if one wants to. That is nice. I thought it would be primarily links to english publishers only at first for some reason. xD
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Or you can just set your browser to display two pages at time like it does in the magazine and get the intended experience that they laid it out for in the first place.
    With the physical release, sure.. because then you can angle the volume and focus on one page its very easy and fluid.

But with a computer monitor the 2 pictures are in your face and your eye easily wonder to the second one, its not comfortable at all.
    Last edited by mrsword; February 2nd, 2019 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    I wish cops would bust up the operation that makes the jump scans available, now that it is not needed cause we have offical worldwide release.

Or that scanlators would stop scanlating the titles available and focus on other magazines which dont have this service. But obvioulsy they want the ad revenue or in mangastreams case even donations, lmao.
    This. I've spent the last day discussing/arguing with people who still wanna read the scans on twitter.

Of the few people I talked to the main reasons that still existed where pretty much two.

1. They enjoy the routine of watching OP youtubers who do chapter reaction vids, and since they've all continued to use the scanlations, the viewers still will.

and

2. They simply don't want to wait. Some of these people even used the ridiculous excuse of "Well, then the official should come out two days earlier". These people don't seem to comprehend how an industry with a product of media content works.

Unfortunately, these people felt that the responsibility wasn't on THEM -the people choosing to illegally read One Piece early- it was on the Youtube content creators they enjoy, (somehow) Viz and Shuiesha for needing to make it easier(which is a bullshit excuse, they simply want earlier chapters because they can't take one week to adapt to the schedule).

I doubt until legal action is once again taken by Shuiesha against the scanlation sites, much can be done. Unless some of these content providers start choosing to wait, their viewers won't. So it just creates this cycle that encourages scanlations.

A few years down the line, this shouldn't be an issue. In the same way we don't have a fansub group trying to fansub One Piece every week. It just doesn't make sense if a superior, free version is simultaneous. The only difference here is the schedule of getting scans a few days early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    With the physical release, sure.. because then you can angle the volume and focus on one page its very easy and fluid.

But with a computer monitor the 2 pictures are in your face and your eye easily wonder to the second one, its not comfortable at all.
    The books are drawn with two page format in mind. They aren't meant or intended for tablets or computer screens. They just aren't and there's not really any way of getting around that, except for the author to not indulge in two page spreads. And that may be something future authors keep in mind and take into account, but its not something the current crop is going to deal with.

Oda in particular is a nasty culprit because he does 2/3 spreads all the time, with panels on the bottom and the side, and that makes it really awkward to follow sometimes. But then you get something like Bone or Elfquest which go their entirety without a single two page spread, and they'd serve much better in the format. (Okay, Elfquest had *one* two page spread)

Webcomics are done more with the format in mind, thats why they tend to be thin and strips like traditional newspaper comics.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Md-Martin View Post
    A few years down the line, this shouldn't be an issue. In the same way we don't have a fansub group trying to fansub One Piece every week. It just doesn't make sense if a superior, free version is simultaneous. The only difference here is the schedule of getting scans a few days early.
    I hope it won‘t be an issue down the line, same with services like spotify, netflix etc. providing easy and fast access, which made the piracy of music etc. obsolete.

Problem is they will have to stop early magazine distribution, otherwise this problem will never go away. I am sure if fansubers could get their hands on op episodes 2-3 days in advance, they would still sub it.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    is there a reason why Yuragi is the only serie from shonen jump not available on Manga+ ?
    I remember Yuragi was criticized by Japanese newspaper called Tokyo Newspaper on 7th, July in 2017 due to sexism.
    Considering official English volume for Yuragi is already out, it may not be the reason for Shueisha not to release it yet in Manga+ app, though.
    Hidden:

Speaking of sexism, Shonen Jump editor office in Japan was also criticized in the same year due to the fact that they chose this drawing below drawn by "To Love-ru" author as a sign board for ladies restroom in their office.
    They later made excuses such as "Shonen Jump office has no female editors, so there is no problem." "It was just a joke"...

official manga
    Hidden:

Huffington Post (language: JP)
    https://www.huffingtonpost.jp/2017/0..._16137590.html
    https://blogos.com/article/219455/

Umm what are people in Japan, China and Korea suppose to do for English translations?

The King has spoken..

Japan, Korea, and China already have dedicated digital distribution channels in their respective languages, apparently(?). That's why the English service won't/can't exist concurrently.

...The solution there is still VPN.

But what about the Mooninites, CCC? Huh? Have the heartless monsters behind the scenes considered *their* birthrite to free manga?

Just noticed on the Manga Plus that we can see the rankings to the side. I wonder if they will have any affect on series cancellations or anything below that magnitude that Jump calculates?

I look forward to a couple months from now where the backlog will have expanded a bit. Those re-editions make me wanna re-read a bunch of the classics. If this expands to the possibility to buy whole series i'm going to go broke on stacking up my digital library lol

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Japan, Korea, and China already have dedicated digital distribution channels in their respective languages, apparently(?). That's why the English service won't/can't exist concurrently.
    Do you know if they intend to also offer the subscription model (Viz-like) in the near future? As far as I can tell you can buy E-books (volumes) for 5€ each, but that's a horrible deal if one is already buying physical copies of the manga regularly :S

So this might be off topic a little and I apologize, but it seems like the reason so many people pirate One Piece and other series isn't simply because weekly (free) translations aren't in available in their country now, it's simply because they want to read it as soon as possible. To me, it seems like the only solution at this point is for weekly Jump in Japan to go completely digital. Or at the very least, as soon as Oda or other mangaka are done making a chapter, it immediately comes online digitally on these official websites and for people that still want a physical copy of Jump, they just get it a week or two later. While sales for the physical Jump would be down, I feel like the the rest of the world not have any excuses for reading jump legally should make up for those sales.
    I made this terrible username 8 years ago!

Dunno. Japan seems like a pretty conservative nation to me. I mean if it took them this long to latch on to global digital channels it seems quite a stretch that they'd go for a route that essentially dooms their actual book sales any time soon. You'd probably have to wait for the older generations of management to retire before anything like that happens.

People who buy the jump magazines will continue to buy them regardless, so shifting to digital release first and magazine distribution after could be possible and still give them those sales. Release the digital version a day earlier than the scans usually come out, wih the magazine coming 2-3 days later.

It obviously won't happen, but would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Horizontal mode is perfect now, all double spreads display correctly. It the best way to view in the browsers(full screen mode, view->fullscreen) and screens in general (landscape mode on phones and tablets).

The image's quality is also better than before.

Even if they do have a program that recognized "this page is labeled as A, this page is labeled as B, treat as a spread" that still involves many many hours of going through and manually renaming all the pages, and then updating the pdf so it can find them and display them at proper resolution. That also takes time.
    I just looked at the page's source, every page has a uuid, meaning each page has its own unique file name and I bet that is ordered correctly in each chapter's folder/database tables, however they're doing it on the server side. It could be many things.

example for the pages UUIDs:
    Spoiler:

Page 1 chapter 930 (77913c51-e867-4279-a594-32e15f5e43d1)
    Page 2 chapter 930 (8a8c4271-d3a3-4773-b63e-d1588766f6d0)
    Those are the names they use to display the pages/file path

Could be just normal folders with simple file names and the script that serves them to app/web assigns the uuid names to mask their name/location on the server.

So they already have system for naming the pages. They also have IDs for the chapters, regardless of the series.

example for the chapter IDs:
    Spoiler:

OP
    Chapter No. ID
    001 1000486
    002 1000487
    929 1001129
    930 1001130

MHA
    Chapter No. ID
    001 1000390
    002 1000391
    214 1001191

They also have IDs for the series:
    OP 100020
    MHA 100017

With such system in place renaming and future update will be easy.
    Last edited by Kaizoku_Ou; February 3rd, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    People who buy the jump magazines will continue to buy them regardless, so shifting to digital release first and magazine distribution after could be possible and still give them those sales. Release the digital version a day earlier than the scans usually come out, wih the magazine coming 2-3 days later.

It obviously won't happen, but would be nice.
    Yep, this is what I mean. You are right, Susheia wouldn't do this for the same reason american comics still focus on print sales rather than digital. they are too rooted in the past.
    I made this terrible username 8 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Do you know if they intend to also offer the subscription model (Viz-like) in the near future? As far as I can tell you can buy E-books (volumes) for 5€ each, but that's a horrible deal if one is already buying physical copies of the manga regularly :S
    I don't know, personally, but I kind of doubt it?
    Because then Shueisha would be competing with itself (??) within the territories that Viz does have its thing going (Viz is a subsidiary of Shueisha).

But I can't picture them letting Viz takes its vault worldwide either, since Shueisha wants that $$$ for itself (Manga Plus is making ad money off of Viz's translation/lettering/editing work).

It's a somewhat odd dynamic.
    Last edited by CCC; February 3rd, 2019 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I remember Yuragi was criticized by Japanese newspaper called Tokyo Newspaper on 7th, July in 2017 due to sexism.
    Considering official English volume for Yuragi is already out, it may not be the reason for Shueisha not to release it yet in Manga+ app, though.
    Speaking of sexism, Shonen Jump editor office in Japan was also criticized in the same year due to the fact that they chose this drawing below drawn by "To Love-ru" author as a sign board for ladies restroom in their office.
    They later made excuses such as "Shonen Jump office has no female editors, so there is no problem." "It was just a joke"...

]
    Thanks
    It is a bit sad to learn there is no woman in editor staff. Maybe the series would be less sexist if they had some

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information