+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English releases)

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

The website fixed the issue with the double pages if you read it in horizontal mode.

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

How can I make it so I read single pages but it shows double pages together?

Currently either choose single pages and suffer split double pages or double pages all the way which is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    How can I make it so I read single pages but it shows double pages together?

Currently either choose single pages and suffer split double pages or double pages all the way which is annoying.
    Aren't you asking something impossible ?
    Also one piece has a lot of pages which are with a 2/3 1/3 ratio. Having reread it in digital, having only 1 page displayed makes it hard to read a lot of times

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Aren't you asking something impossible ?
    Also one piece has a lot of pages which are with a 2/3 1/3 ratio. Having reread it in digital, having only 1 page displayed makes it hard to read a lot of times
    Literally all fan translations does this, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Aw man, oh dude! Finally after all these years I can enjoy One Piece legally. I was not expecting this, getting things to be licensed here (Iceland) can be a real pain in the butt.
    Fantastic news!

Literally all fan translations does this, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    At a guess, those actually physically merge the spreads together into a single image.

While the official stuff is loading them as separate pages, the way they go to the printer.

And yes, asking the official release to go through and hand edit thousands of two page spreads in any series they pop up in is a ridiculous ask when you can just... display two pages at a time like it would be in the actual magazine.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Thankfully, this app seems like a nice alternative to the Viz app, which has been hot garbage for me ever since the big switch in December. Has anyone else experienced this? I use the Viz app on my iPad mini, and ever since the big change it's been the laggiest, most frustrating app I've ever used. Honestly, I'll probably be forced to cancel my subscription because using the app is a pain in the ass, and I don't like reading through my browser. I contacted tech support about it and they said they're working on making it better, but I've seen no differences. Fortunately, this MANGA+ app works quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    At a guess, those actually physically merge the spreads together into a single image.

While the official stuff is loading them as separate pages, the way they go to the printer.

And yes, asking the official release to go through and hand edit thousands of two page spreads in any series they pop up in is a ridiculous ask when you can just... display two pages at a time like it would be in the actual magazine.
    They don't have to go through and hand edit the two page spreads, but it would be nice if they displayed the pages next to each other without the big annoying black bar in the middle. That's about my only gripe with this app. Other apps, including the official Viz app, don't have this problem.

There's probably settings somewhere. Or will be, eventually.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

I'm just asking for hybrid reading mode, currently each mode does one thing, vertical shows single pages but split spreads, and horizontal shows merged spreads but merged singles as well, which is not comfortable to read on a computer monitor, or a tablet IMO.

I don't think asking official release for something amateurs do for free is ridiculous, and as a consumer it's not my job to find excuses for them.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheMilkman View Post
    Thankfully, this app seems like a nice alternative to the Viz app, which has been hot garbage for me ever since the big switch in December. Has anyone else experienced this? I use the Viz app on my iPad mini, and ever since the big change it's been the laggiest, most frustrating app I've ever used. Honestly, I'll probably be forced to cancel my subscription because using the app is a pain in the ass, and I don't like reading through my browser. I contacted tech support about it and they said they're working on making it better, but I've seen no differences. Fortunately, this MANGA+ app works quite nicely.
    This is true as well. Having free online readers better than official premium one is ridiculous, not a good look IMO.

This one is much better thankfully, although only handful chapters are viewable on this reader.

It seems this app is using Stephen's translation. I thought it might have been like the English dubs of DBS, where they have a US English one, and an international English one.

I don't think asking official release for something amateurs do for free is ridiculous, and as a consumer it's not my job to find excuses for them.
    ... it is a free service, though.

Anyways, like Robby said, in a magazine you get two pages together, regardless of them being a doublespread or not. It is only logical they follow the same standard as the real publication (and it is this format the mangakas have in mind when they plan the chapter) than the one fan sites created.

I personally prefer the ones used by fans because it keeps me from peeking at the next page before I had finished the first, but still it just makes perfect sense for them to go like this (if you ever bought digital manga you would know this has always been used in those as well).
    What I find weird is that they allow a vertical 1-page reader too...

This was explained by Robby a while ago, when in Naruto a stupid spread of Sasuke's face closeup, that while in a browser is "whatevs" in print would be a complete face looking at you, and not only at least draws a reaction, it is also the author's intent, I think that it was also mentioned in interviews around the launch of Alpha shonen jump, one of the conditions the authors put for publishing in the system.

Is like korean webcomics, who use the super long strip format, transitioning those to print would be awkward as the idea is to read them while scrolling.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Selph View Post
    Wow this is a gamechanger for me. Finally I can stop using the scanlations for One Piece, Promised Neverland, World Trigger, Boruto, Dr. Stone and Dragon Ball.

To dedicate myself to this service Iíll stop using Jaiminiís and mangastreamís websites and get my manga primarily from apps.

The manga rock app will have to provide me with my remaining manga (Origin, Jagaaaaan, FT: 100 YQ, Edens Zero, Onepunch Man, Berserk & Attack on Titan). Fortunately I get notifications to my phone so a lot of unnecessary time and energy can be avoided checking the websites time and time again.
    The latest chapter of both Eden's Zero and Attack on Titan is available legally for free in Crynchyroll's Manga app, I think in most places of the world. You can read the backlog with a subscription.

This is one of instances where the official should copy the bootleg/pirate tools. The manga reader in jaiminis and others is an open source and available for anyone to use, they can use it as a reference or improve it. While double spreads can be tricky in portrait mode that can be fixed by combining the 2 pages, but come on if fans and photoshop novices can do it official publisher can do it in a breeze. Then app can detect the size of double spreads and offer side scrolling in portrait mode(left and right).

This comes from someone who made his own manga reader to practice coding so I know it is very easy to do. If you tell me combining all the double spreads for all the different series will take long, yes and no depending on how many they're willing to hire for this task specifically.

Or they can skip combining pages all together and just use code i.e (page1, page2, page3a,page3b,page4) page3 is a double spread so it has 2 parts a and b. This is just an example.

Hopefully they'll improve it more in the upcoming days/weeks. Presentation and usability are very important. Many scanlation sites have their own advanced, yet simple readers.

If it's cathartic to voice criticism here that's fine but (as some of you have) I hope you're giving the techies feedback as well. As we can tell by the fact that these applications exist, they are listening *and* they want you to be happy.

I reported the spread thing and that got fixed. There's a couple other QoL things I mentioned in the same feedback submission (proper fullscreen options on desktop and going to the next chapter automatically with the arrow keys) but since those are probably anti-screen scraping measures my hopes aren't high.

But what's all this about not wanting the single pages together as spreads? That's how they're designed to sit and be read I like getting the impression of an open book in front of me. You can see how it's all laid out so that panels run off the edge of the pages but never into the spine unless it's a spread, which is a design element that just gets missed on the scan versions. Back during the days of the colour volumes first being ripped people complained about a few volumes that came out in that state as well. Never got it then either.

Spoiler:

I have all of my *cough cough* downloaded *cough* manga saved completely as spreads. It's nice opening a folder and seeing every file in it the same size, and those middle spaces left for the spines line up all the way down the window in the thumbnails. I buy the English volumes physically and the colour volumes digitally, pls no judgement

By the way is there a reason why Yuragi is the only serie from shonen jump not available on Manga+ ?

This is great news for those who can't use the Viz version. I haven't checked this one out but I've heard it could still use improvements, still a Jump in the right direction.

the /r/onepiece community previously complained about Viz not working overseas, but this news didn't seem like it got much traction there either. I hope other communities eventually adapt to this new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Logia View Post
    This is great news for those who can't use the Viz version. I haven't checked this one out but I've heard it could still use improvements, still a Jump in the right direction.

the /r/onepiece community previously complained about Viz not working overseas, but this news didn't seem like it got much traction there either. I hope other communities eventually adapt to this new system.
    Sadly that's a group dedicated to the old ways of enjoying manga and supporting methods of manga enjoyment that are financially beneficial to spoiler providers and reviewers. In the next five years we'll see a turnover and acceptance of these exciting new mediums.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

I wish cops would bust up the operation that makes the jump scans available, now that it is not needed cause we have offical worldwide release.

Or that scanlators would stop scanlating the titles available and focus on other magazines which dont have this service. But obvioulsy they want the ad revenue or in mangastreams case even donations, lmao.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information