+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 929: Shogun of Wano, Kurozumi Orochi

Default Re: Chapter 929: Shogun of Wano, Kurozumi Orochi

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    Legit confused Komurasaki in one panel with Robin and thought she already infiltrated Orochis chambers, lmao.
    She did. You can see Robin in the panel above Komurasaki’s initial appearance in 929. Orochi invited her several chapters back.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gyuukarubi View Post
    She did. You can see Robin in the panel above Komurasaki’s initial appearance in 929. Orochi invited her several chapters back.
    Oh shit, you are right. I didn't focus on both panels too much and thought it was just komurasaki. xD
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    You peasants may use the servants entrance links in the spoilers thread.

Here is where i would insert the America fuck yeah song
    This is where I'd insert pretty much any tweet by Trump, followed by the Jackie Chan "Why" meme...

Not from 'MURICA by the way and can read the chapter just fine.

Remember, remember, the 5th of November

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    Still don't get why the geppou users don't teach everyone else to do it too. Sanji could teach the crew, marines could teach well everyone, BM pirates could teach the full crew and allies.
    If Usopp starts air walking and slingshotting peeps i'm done for.

Quote Originally Posted by flandrian15 View Post
    This is where I'd insert pretty much any tweet by Trump, followed by the Jackie Chan "Why" meme...

Not from 'MURICA by the way and can read the chapter just fine.
    Don't infringe on the American birthright by trickery.

You should await your local release in 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    If Usopp starts air walking and slingshotting peeps i'm done for.

Don't infringe on the American birthright by trickery.

You should await your local release in 2025.
    Ah but that is exactly the point good sir, I don't... All is completely legit.

Remember, remember, the 5th of November

I don't think you need that long to learn it. Looks like it was the very first thing Sanji learns in the time skip, as in less then 2 years.

It's incredibly hard, even if you have the legstrength. Sanji picking it up without a tutor was his big timeskip hype moment after all.

Just look at Doflamingo, someone who has arguably even stronger legs than Sanji and all the funds and connections one can think of. He can't use Geppou. Why wouldn't he want to learn it if it were easy? Because it's not something you can pick up in a short time, even if you are top tier. Unless you have a natural gift like Sanji (or Coby). And since he has a mediocre substitute ability anyway (attaching strings to clouds) he probably didn't bother.

Of course the real reason why most people don't learn it is because *flight* is the most dangerous ability to have around if you want to write a good story, since all kind of convenient obstacles are no longer obstacles when your main cast can float and fly.

The whole thing about rokushiki is training your body to a point you get a superhuman body and can flex it and use your muscles in impossible ways, like hardening your muscles so much they can wall bullets or having so much leg strength you can literally kick air to propel yourself up. It is not the kind of thing you can simply teach someone without the proper training.

Sanji learning geppo makes sense because leg strength is pretty much all of his fighting style. Luffy learning soru makes sense because the Gomu Gomu in general works similarly to how soru is performed and Gear 2nd pumped up the speed to make it doable back then (it was more a matter of Luffy thinking "oh, right, I can use my new power up this way too"). They don't go around pulling any rokushiki form, just those that already matched their abilities/bodies.

tl;dr the thing with rokushiki is less about learning those techniques and more about having a body that can use those.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    As Akagami and Maju pointed out, Tobi Roppo (飛六) in OP is probably based on Kabuki.
    Tobi Roppo(飛六方) in Kabuki literally means "Flying Six Ways". Actually there is a ”Happo” (発) Japanese liquor called “Flying Six”(とび六/飛六).
    I guess Tobi Roppo might be based on both Kabuki and Japanese liquor. FYI, there is Japanese liquor called Kaido (海童). Kaido’s henchman Scotch might be based on Scotch whisky.
    Oda loves Japanese liquor according to Viz interview in 2016.
    The titles of Lead Performers (大看板) and Headliners (真打ち) are based on Rakugo, known as a form of Japanese verbal entertainment.
    Oda loves Rakugo so much that he kept talking for a long time in an interview with Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli producer.

To sum it up, Wano arc is a combination of
    [Japanese culture] Kabuki, Rakugo, Sumo, (Japanese) liquor etc
    [Animals[ Beast Pirates, Mink Tribe
    [Trump card games] Sheepshead, Gin Rummy etc

By the way, Straw Hats in Ninja outfits are drawn in the color spread. Ninja is one of the protagonists Oda wanted to draw before he started OP.
    Before his debut, Oda wanted to draw pirates, ninjas or witch/wizards according to ONE PIECE Magazine 3.
    God, I love this post.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; January 8th, 2019 at 12:30 PM.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Thanks for your replies, guys. Seems like there's still enough interest (and enough people who live in regions without VIZ access) for me to keep doing these. I may not be able to every time, since sometimes life just gets really busy (like with the previous two chapters; sorry about that), but I'll try to do so as often as possible. Now that the chapters are released on Sundays instead of Mondays, I'm hoping that'll make things easier. Let's get to it! There are a whole bunch of these this time.
    • In general, as I've mentioned in previous comparisons and other readers have pointed out, the official translation from VIZ is, somewhat oddly, keeping quite a few terms untranslated here in the Wano arc in places where the scanlations translate them. In addition to the ones mentioned in previous chapters (examples such as keeping "tsujigiri" instead of "street-killer"/"murderer", "oiran" instead of "courtesan" (while occasionally mentioning that she's a courtesan, but using "oiran" in general convo), and "Akazaya Nine" instead of "Nine Red Scabbards"), this one also leaves in "Rakuda" for "Camel" and "Tobi Roppo" for the group of six strongest Headliners (see below for the details).
    • In VIZ, just like Mangastream, Franky answers Minatomo scolding him with "Yes, boss!" However, what Minatomo says before this makes Franky's response sound kinda hilariously defiant, even though it probably wasn't meant that way: "So you think the oiran bein' a real babe is a valid excuse for comin' to work late, Franosuke?!" "Yes, boss!"
    • In MS, Minatomo responds to Franky saying how beautiful Komurasaki was with "I don't give a hoot!", whereas in Jaimini's Box and VIZ, he does agree with that. Afterwards, in MS, he says that there's still the matter of his "own word and honor", in JB he states that "We've got a reputation to uphold", and in VIZ, he says he still needs Franky "to respect that I'm the boss". Also, the other workers who attack Franky refer to Minatomo as their "leader" in MS and "master" in JB, but as "the foreman" in VIZ.
    • MS has Franky respond to Kobei's question of if he knows Kisegawa with "Why would we?!", which makes it sound like there's someone with him while he's running on these errands. This is not the case with JB and VIZ, which say "Of course not!"/"Why would I know her?!" Then, where the scanlations translate the name to "Camel" and have Franky do a double-take with "Camel? The animal?!", the official leaves it as the characters calling him "Rakuda", and Franky's double-take instead being "Doesn't Rakuda mean 'camel'?!"
    • When showing the location of Kin'emon and the Minks, MS and VIZ just say "Kuri an Abandoned Village" and "Ruins in Kuri" respectively. JB says "Kuri--in a certain abandoned village", implying the village may be significant in some way.
    • Tonoyasu's intro box calls him a "taiko drum carrier" in MS, a "sweet talker" in JB, and a "sycophant" in VIZ. Yasu also has a penchant for rhyming on a dime in the official version, such as "out of the blue" with "he'll lead me true", "broke as a joke", "my pluck and my luck", and "stout and tall" with "one and all".
    • The scanlations don't say what kind of gambling Zoro was engaging in (unless the word used for gambling specifies it), but in the official translation, Yasu mentioned he won with dice. Also, in the original Japanese, Zoro misnames Yasu as "Kasu", a word which, as both scanlations explain in a TN, means "trash" or "scum". The official keeps the spirit of the joke by having Zoro misname him "Assu".
    • In MS, Yasu calls Leftover Town "a little Hamlet", whereas JB and VIZ state that Leftover Town is called "Ebisu", as in, that's its official name. Then, on the next page, MS has Orochi asking CP-0 if they're sure they aren't after opening the borders, while JB and VIZ have him basically say the opposite: that they don't want the borders opened up, either, do they?
    • When Orochi notes that he's the one in a position of power now that CP-0 has to directly negotiate with him, the scanlations have them reply that, with that in mind, this is "a pretty pickle"/"quite the conundrum". In the official version, their reply is more specific, implying that Orochi has already told them what he wanted: "But your majesty...we simply can't fulfill this request!" Then MS has Orochi say that battleships were fine last time and he wants Vegapunk this time, but JB and VIZ instead have him say that he wants battleships this time but he must have Vegapunk next time.
    • When the doors to Orochi's room are opened, he says "Not a care in the world! Not a care at all!" in MS, says "Formalities won't be necessary" twice in JB, and goes with "Now this is more like it! Much more like it, indeed!" in VIZ. When seeing the geishas, he repeats "without a care in the world" in MS and "formalities won't be necessary" in JB, while in VIZ, he says "I find this all very agreeable!"
    • In the official translation, he makes a pun when saying he doesn't want the chicken: "I am not in a fowl mood tonight!"; in JB, the sake is said to be brewed by "Touji" (implying that's someone's name) while MS and VIZ just refer to him as "the master brewer"; and the fish that Orochi loves is said to be "mackerel" in MS, "salmon" in JB, and "pike" in VIZ.
    • Orochi in MS says he's been wanting to "meet" Komurasaki, implying they've never met before; in JB, he says he's "missed" her, implying they have; VIZ could be interpreted either way, but leans more towards the latter, where he says he's "waited to see" her.
    • In MS, the group of six strongest Headliners are called the "Flying Fighters"; in JB, they're called the "Flying Six", with the TN explanation that their Japanese name is the "Tobi Roppo", which is also a type of exit in Kabuki plays; VIZ leaves the term as "Tobi Roppo".
    • Hawkins's words to Drake after saying he's there in search of a particular man (most likely Law) are also a little different in each version: "I thought you have something you hunt that's more important to you than this mission, eh, Drake?" in MS; in JB, he says "You might be in for more than this mission entails, Drake"; and in VIZ, it's "This should be more than worth the reward of the mission alone, Drake."
    Hidden:

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    The whole thing about rokushiki is training your body to a point you get a superhuman body and can flex it and use your muscles in impossible ways, like hardening your muscles so much they can wall bullets or having so much leg strength you can literally kick air to propel yourself up. It is not the kind of thing you can simply teach someone without the proper training.
    While I agree for the most part, it can't be said that that's completely true because he was able to use it while inside Nami's body when Law had everyone switched around in Punk Hazard. So a lot of it is actually understanding the mechanics of it, more than having a body honed and tuned for that; I'm reminded of when Luffy correctly identified how Blueno's Soru worked, having noticed they had to pump their feet rapidly multiple times in order to build up their speed before taking off. Geppou probably has a similar but more complicated technique behind it that Sanji figured out and could use even in a body that did not possess great strength. So when you consider that few people in the world are all that smart, it's no surprise that Rokushiki techniques aren't more widespread, especially Geppou.

Sanji learning geppo makes sense because leg strength is pretty much all of his fighting style. Luffy learning soru makes sense because the Gomu Gomu in general works similarly to how soru is performed and Gear 2nd pumped up the speed to make it doable back then (it was more a matter of Luffy thinking "oh, right, I can use my new power up this way too"). They don't go around pulling any rokushiki form, just those that already matched their abilities/bodies.
    This, too, makes perfect sense, but it's galling that Sanji hasn't also adapted both Rankyaku and Soru into his repertoire from the leg-based Rokushiki techniques. He's one of the few Straw Hats without any long-range combat capability, so having a Diable Jambe themed Rankyaku would be perfect for him and set itself apart from the standard wind blades, perhaps replaced with flaming meteorites. If we're not going to see the fruits of Sanji's training like the 99 recipes he supposedly learned from the Newkama masters, he could at least show us more Rokushiki proficiency. Hopefully soon, especially now with a real serious battle impending.

They belong to the Natives CongoJack's Avatar

Tbh, I don't have any clue anymore as to which thread I should look at to get to read any discussion about anything - at first one scanlated page comes out, there is pages of nothing more than educated guesses on that, then the scanlation comes out, but no one links it as easily accessible as it was done during the last 12 years, at least not to my stupid a** -, I don't have any idea where to go to get my chapter link to JB or whatever site is the hotness atm, so I browsed those sites for myself the last week without coming here; and I stupidly found myself clicking the chapter thread again right now when in fact it's about the chapter that came out through scanlations a while ago, so I read that discussion about that already, but I guess I'm gonna read the same things multiple times now in anticipation of any new knowledge shared in the newer thread - which is basically akin to leaving me to switch between two threads if I don't follow their progress hourly.

Just some feedback from a dude that visited your site week after week for 12 years now ( started here when Lucci got KO'd - around chapter 328 or something, can't remember ), but is seriously considering just bookmarking JB at the moment as he is too stupid and lazy to follow the discussions and the exact release date of every page scan/whole chapter scan/VIZscan ( which I do not even get in my country, which makes the whole 'new thread policy' even more cumbersome to me personally as the starting of the new thread does not amount to anything I can experience whatsoever ) as they come out and give new impulses to said discussions. Should it turn out that I'm in the minority and this feedback is not of use to anyone, I'm deeply sorry to have wasted your time.

When was that or that post made? Was that post in the spoiler thread made with the whole chapter out as scanlation already or just the one page? Is there air? You don't know!
    Last edited by CongoJack; January 8th, 2019 at 09:49 PM.
    building Theme Parks with Blackjack and Hookers since 2002 - still forgetting the Blackjack.

Quote Originally Posted by CongoJack View Post
    Tbh, I don't have any clue anymore as to which thread I should look at to get to read any discussion about anything - at first one scanlated page comes out, there is pages of nothing more than educated guesses on that, then the scanlation comes out, but no one links it as easily accessible as it was done during the last 12 years, at least not to my stupid a** -, I don't have any idea where to go to get my chapter link to JB or whatever site is the hotness atm, so I browsed those sites for myself the last week without coming here; and I stupidly found myself clicking the chapter thread again right now when in fact it's about the chapter that came out through scanlations a while ago, so I read that discussion about that already, but I guess I'm gonna read the same things multiple times now in anticipation of any new knowledge shared in the newer thread - which is basically akin to leaving me to switch between two threads if I don't follow their progress hourly.

Just some feedback from a dude that visited your site week after week for 12 years now ( started here when Lucci got KO'd - around chapter 328 or something, can't remember ), but is seriously considering just bookmarking JB at the moment as he is too stupid and lazy to follow the discussions and the exact release date of every page scan/whole chapter scan/VIZscan ( which I do not even get in my country, which makes the whole 'new thread policy' even more cumbersome to me personally as the starting of the new thread does not amount to anything I can experience whatsoever ) as they come out and give new impulses to said discussions. Should it turn out that I'm in the minority and this feedback is not of use to anyone, I'm deeply sorry to have wasted your time.

When was that or that post made? Was that post in the spoiler thread made with the whole chapter out as scanlation already or just the one page? Is there air? You don't know!
    once the schedule is back to normal, things will be easier. but yeah globally, accessing to the chapter via the direct site should be the normal thing to do.
    Everything would be simpler if there was a single thread

Well “content not available in your country”. Ten years coming to the forum to read One Piece. Fun times.
    How do you guys solved this issue?
    If you're going on a trip... where would you like to go?

Law switching the personalities of sanji, franky, usopp with page one, drake, hawkins then sanji and co infiltrating kaidou pirates like that would be more fun then straight up fight.

Quote Originally Posted by John.Rambo View Post
    Well “content not available in your country”. Ten years coming to the forum to read One Piece. Fun times.
    How do you guys solved this issue?
    You can use a VPN Client. I am using “Secure VPN” - it is free, with ads and probably tracking, but I use it only to visit viz website via browser and turn it off afterwards. Some people said, you can use it once on your mobile devices to install the viz app and would not need it ever again. I didn‘t try though.

ごめんなさい!
    CONTENT NOT AVAILABLE

Unfortunately this content is not available in your location. Please visit the home page to learn more about Shonen Jump.

gg no re.

There should be links to chapter for all people, also those outside of US or wherever you can access VIZ.
    https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/929/page/1

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

That's what the spoiler thread is for... If people happened to read the top thread in the manga section, they could clear all their doubts about what this forum is trying to do. Although it was pretty obvious this was going to happen either way...
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

Do people not realise that they can talk about the chapter here if they only read scans? Scanlations aren't fully confined to the spoiler board, they're only restricted until the official release is out. It's not a matter of excluding people who can't read the official release, it's about giving those who can the opportunity to do so without being spoiled. No one's gonna interrogate you over if you really read Viz's version before you post in the main thread here...

(as I understand the new rules anyway)

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Scanlation comes out, discuss it freely in the spoiler thread. Viz chapter comes out discussion moves to official chapter thread. WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT THAT TO UNDERSTAND?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Some people just like their things in one place.

Hidden:

Law switching the personalities of sanji, franky, usopp with page one, drake, hawkins then sanji and co infiltrating kaidou pirates like that would be more fun then straight up fight.
    That power will never appear in the story again.

Its waay to overpowered and it could end all conflicts instantly.

Oh Kaidou giving you trouble, just switch his soul with a snail and boom, problem solved.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information