+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 929: Shogun of Wano, Kurozumi Orochi

Default Re: Chapter 929: Shogun of Wano, Kurozumi Orochi

As Akagami and Maju pointed out, Tobi Roppo (飛六) in OP is probably based on Kabuki.
    Tobi Roppo(飛六方) in Kabuki literally means "Flying Six Ways". Actually there is a ”Happo” (発) Japanese liquor called “Flying Six”(とび六/飛六).
    I guess Tobi Roppo might be based on both Kabuki and Japanese liquor. FYI, there is Japanese liquor called Kaido (海童). Kaido’s henchman Scotch might be based on Scotch whisky.
    Oda loves Japanese liquor according to Viz interview in 2016.
    Hidden:

The titles of Lead Performers (大看板) and Headliners (真打ち) are based on Rakugo, known as a form of Japanese verbal entertainment.
    Oda loves Rakugo so much that he kept talking for a long time in an interview with Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli producer.

To sum it up, Wano arc is a combination of
    [Japanese culture] Kabuki, Rakugo, Sumo, (Japanese) liquor etc
    [Animals[ Beast Pirates, Mink Tribe
    [Trump card games] Sheepshead, Gin Rummy etc

By the way, Straw Hats in Ninja outfits are drawn in the color spread. Ninja is one of the protagonists Oda wanted to draw before he started OP.
    Before his debut, Oda wanted to draw pirates, ninjas or witch/wizards according to ONE PIECE Magazine 3.
    Last edited by sandman; January 7th, 2019 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    As Akagami and Maju pointed out, Tobi Roppo (飛六) in OP is probably based on Kabuki.
    Tobi Roppo(飛六方) in Kabuki literally means "Flying Six Ways". Actually there is a ”Happo” (発) Japanese liquor called “Flying Six”(とび六/飛六).
    I guess Tobi Roppo might be based on both Kabuki and Japanese liquor. FYI, there is Japanese liquor called Kaido (海童). Kaido’s henchman Scotch might be based on Scotch whisky.
    Oda loves Japanese liquor according to Viz interview in 2016.
    The titles of Lead Performers (大看板) and Headliners (真打ち) are based on Rakugo, known as a form of Japanese verbal entertainment.
    Oda loves Rakugo so much that he kept talking for a long time in an interview with Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli producer.

To sum it up, Wano arc is a combination of
    [Japanese culture] Kabuki, Rakugo, Sumo, (Japanese) liquor etc
    [Animals[ Beast Pirates, Mink Tribe
    [Trump card games] Sheepshead, Gin Rummy etc

By the way, Straw Hats in Ninja outfits are drawn in the color spread. Ninja is one of the protagonists Oda wanted to draw before he started OP.
    Before his debut, Oda wanted to draw pirates, ninjas or witch/wizards according to ONE PIECE Magazine 3.
    Thanks for info. btw Orochi uses the term kurushūnai, I assume this is slang did Viz translate it correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by td1 View Post
    Orochi uses the term kurushūnai, I assume this is slang did Viz translate it correctly?
    The term Kurushuunai is an old-fashioned Jidaigeki variation of Kurushikunai (苦しくない), which means "I don' t feel uncomfortable". In other words, Orochi is satisfied with that exaggerated welcoming style. So I don't think JB's translation "Formalities won't be necessary" is accurate.

Orochi used exactly the same word kurushuunai in the page where Geishas are introduced.

In chapter 818, Momonosuke said Kurushuunai when Inuarashi tried to ask him something. Momonosuke replied in Viz translation, "I don't mind. There is no need to hide secrets from them!"

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    With this new change in policy, and the fact that the VIZ chapters can now be read online for free without a subscription (at least in some regions; I'm not sure whether or not it's available everywhere), I want to hear what you guys think: for those who've been reading my chapter comparisons for the past few years, do you think those are still necessary/do you still want them? I'm happy to keep doing them if y'allz think they'll still be helpful and will enjoy reading them, but if you think that being able to now read the VIZ versions directly yourselves renders the comparisons moot, then it may be redundant for me to bother with it, haha.
    I would really appreciate if you could continue...

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Tobbi Ropo makes more sense than Flying Six, because as far as I know, those Dinosaurs can't fly

Thank you for the valuable insights into Japanese language and culture, Sandman! They're really needed for this arc.

I'd like to ask your input on something, is Ebisu the official name for Okobore? So it was called Ebisu and then people started to call it Okobore when it got poor? I trust VIZ, but I remember that part was different in fan translations so it got me confused.

What is up with zoro and gambling? Did he gamble before, and is he known to be lucky? Some connection to Fujitora?

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    Tobbi Ropo makes more sense than Flying Six, because as far as I know, those Dinosaurs can't fly
    You'll eat your words when it's revealed that they all know Geppo

Why are people assuming that Orochi is a moron because he fears the Nine Scabbards? He is absolutely correct: they are here and they are after him.
    He just doesn't know yet what they are, ghosts or something else.

With this new change in policy, and the fact that the VIZ chapters can now be read online for free without a subscription (at least in some regions; I'm not sure whether or not it's available everywhere), I want to hear what you guys think: for those who've been reading my chapter comparisons for the past few years, do you think those are still necessary/do you still want them? I'm happy to keep doing them if y'allz think they'll still be helpful and will enjoy reading them, but if you think that being able to now read the VIZ versions directly yourselves renders the comparisons moot, then it may be redundant for me to bother with it, haha.

First of all, thank you for doing this for so long. Obviously it's not like you gain something from the fandom for doing it, outside of just being a good poster on the forum. I loved that you did that because it was something I could point my friends that read scans to. To show them "Hey, usually a lot of shit is different. Read the better official".

If I were you personally, I wouldn't. Just because with the official being free and simultaneous, it may be redundant. That said, I'm sure your posting on every chapter has made more than a few people check out Viz.

So my non answer is, do what makes you happy!

Side Note: I love that scanlations that use "yonkou" and "shichibukai" are translating terms in this Japan focused arc are translating terms that Viz is leaving untranslated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    You'll eat your words when it's revealed that they all know Geppo
    Well and with the more we're learning about dinos, most of them had feathers so who knows whether some of them were able to get a little hangtime in the air? Of course Oda's going with the more Jurassic Park versions of them with more reptilian and less avian features. Also I don't know if it's just the mangastream translation but they're calling them Dragon-Dragon Fruit users rather than making dinos a specific category which bugs the crap out of me because usually you only see people who push for biblical creationism calling dinosaurs dragons. Although I'll admit it's pretty cool that Page One is a Spinosaurus, one of which killed a T-Rex in Jurassic Park 3. A little disappointing that X Drake is only an Allosaurus, the smaller and less threatening cousin of the T-Rex. Makes me wonder if any of Kaido's crew has that elsewhere.

And was that supposedly amazingly gorgeous geisha NOT really being anything that special a surprise to anyone? Oda's got a somewhat limited scope of female visages and for her to be anything beyond Hancock or the Straw Hat ladies was a long shot. Orochi didn't seem to have any puppet accoutrements around him so I'm thinking he does have some kind of Orochi DF, and not a SMILE one or he'd probably look more deformed.

I can't figure out why Oda had Franky go on that ridiculous quest we'd see in a Saturday morning cartoon from my childhood. Unless each and every one of those characters he bumped into is going to play some significant role later on, that was a serious waste of time. Granted, it allowed the chapter to end with that cool double page spread but that didn't HAVE to be the final panels to end on. Also, was Hawkins always riding what looks like a Kirin? I was hoping Chopper would adopt a new form, Kirin Point, so I hope that doesn't mean it'll be less likely now that we've seen one.

Still don't get why the geppou users don't teach everyone else to do it too. Sanji could teach the crew, marines could teach well everyone, BM pirates could teach the full crew and allies.
    Last edited by uniaka ikuzakas; January 7th, 2019 at 11:09 AM.

Cool I ll remove myself from this aristocratic chapter threads from now on and live in the peasant lands of spoilers... Be warry though peasants do revolt...
    人事を尽くして天命を待つ
    Link to my AMVs

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

It's not available everywhere, I'd appretiate if you keep doing the comparisons.
    I hate quacks.

Quote Originally Posted by arkur View Post
    Press control-0 to reset the zoom on your browser (or try control +/- to adjust the zoom). They appear because each of the images is composed of all those little squares as an anti-piracy measure against scraping. If you want to zoom, use the clickable +/- buttons instead.
    Been using default zoom, had to mess with Firefox's layout.css.devPixelsPerPx months/years back because of an update of making the default browser size too zoomed in. Ctrl +/- anywhere keeps showing those squares. I've been using the clickable +/- buttons in the first place and they still had the squares. :x

I like Orochi's design. He just looks like a straight bastard. The type of guy who's an idiot, but just smart and lucky enough to usually come out on top. Also the type who can fight, but is mostly cowardly.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    Still don't get why the geppou users don't teach everyone else to do it too. Sanji could teach the crew, marines could teach well everyone, BM pirates could teach the full crew and allies.
    Because everyone have to pick and choose their arsenal. Is it worth it to use ten years to learn geppou or train DF/haki/sword fighting/fishman karate etc. more? geppou is a fighting style that took time to learn, just like the other hundred different fighting styles in OP. Asking why Sanji could not teach the crew geppou is no different from asking why Zoro could not teach the crew sword fighting.

I don't think you need that long to learn it. Looks like it was the very first thing Sanji learns in the time skip, as in less then 2 years. Luffy also learned another rokushiki technique way faster, soru.

And the difference betwen geppou and swordmanship is that swordmanship is not something anyone needs all the time, like geppou that can be useful in any scenario. Also that geppou is not fighting style like swormanship, it just allows you to fly. You can be both swordman and use geppou at the same time, it doesn't replace existing fighting style.
    Last edited by uniaka ikuzakas; January 8th, 2019 at 02:55 AM.

I thought it’s obvious enough the reason Sanji and Luffy learned those faster than average is a combination of talent and their basic ability allowing them certain shortcuts. Luffy’s DF pumped his blood faster, allowing him into G2 and a shortcut to soru. Sanji’s basic leg strength gave him a natural affinity towards geppou.

Neither situation apply to the rest of the crew, meaning that they would have to start from the beginning. Remember how most CP agents began their training when very young? So I don’t think an average of 10 years is an exaggeration at all, that is how long it would take ppl like Nami, Ussop etc. to learn since they had to start from nothing.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Legit confused Komurasaki in one panel with Robin and thought she already infiltrated Orochis chambers, lmao.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information