+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jordan Peele's Us

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Default Jordan Peele's Us

I loved Get Out so I'm pretty excited for this
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Default Re: Jordan Peele's Us

This is a day one for me. Turning "I Got 5 On It" into an eerie horror melody caught me off-guard.
    I still haven't seen Get Out, but I'm planning on changing that very soon.

can't wait for this. I'm so excited.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

The song remix and editing combined with a seemingly cool and creepy plot gave me mad chills. Hope it delivers.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

I'm excited for it. The trailer shows too much I think. But I still want to see it. Also I want the creepy version of I've Got 5 On It now lol.

Why is the first thing that came from mu mind was Are We There Yet?

Still surprised that funny man Jordan Peele would go for directing horror/thriller movies, but hey, if it works.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Still surprised that funny man Jordan Peele would go for directing horror/thriller movies, but hey, if it works.
    Well if he did nothing but comedy all these years, going the total opposite direction must feel nice for one owns creative drive.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Honestly considering some of Key and Peele's sketches, I'm not surprised. Check out that one about Family Matters, It's hilarous but the man can pull off tension.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    Well if he did nothing but comedy all these years, going the total opposite direction must feel nice for one owns creative drive.
    Reminds me somewhat of this:

Discovered Stowaway

OK, the movie's out and I just saw it so here's my thoughts:

He's a good writer and director but when it comes to the big revelations in his movies, I feel myself going, "Seriously, dude? THAT is the big twist I waited the entire movie to find out?" It happened with Get Out and it happened here too, but this time around it was like Get Out but to the Nth degree. That being said, spoiler time:

Spoiler:
    I enjoyed the beginning very much, he paints a good picture of things without giving away anything but making you think and wonder what connects to what (white rabbits, tunnels) and I liked the portrayals of each of the characters. The comedy was on point when it was there too, which was appreciated to lighten the mood among the insane chaos. The main characters' reactions to the doppelgangers and them dispatching them in the ways they did were creative and impressive, particularly for the brother and sister and I give great praise to their performances.

Now for my criticisms. I would have been willing to suspend disbelief quite a bit for something supernatural if it was the route Jordan Peele decided to go with this mystery. I feel like someone needed to sit him down and explain, "Hey, bro, you know the reason we don't have impossible technology like time machines is not because we don't have any place to put them, right?" Seriously. The implications of a nationwide cloning program that makes the duplicates mirror the actions of their surface analogues (except when they don't...could we get some consistency, please?!) alone are outrageous. That the program would just be abandoned and yet somehow their supply of rabbits for food are still being replenished...as if the government wouldn't slaughter the lot of them to keep them from being any kind of liability is laughable. I just couldn't get over that. How medical science wouldn't have to be decades more advanced as a result for any of that to even happen and for not a bit of it to have ever seeped into wider culture is commensurately absurd. I like a good sci-fi as much as the next person but the unfeasible nature of this plot point would have been far better off as something out of fantasy so as to avoid these issues that are impossible to overlook. At least with magic it's implicitly understood that there is nothing you can't hand-wave away with magic as the explanation. Get Out worked better because it wasn't so ambitious with their sci-fi nonsense and kept it appropriately small-scale.

I liked the movie a lot. But mostly because

Spoiler:
    The villain wins in the end lol.

My only real nitpicks were like others have said the whole project just being left alone. With presumably millions of people underground and the exits not being secure lol. But there were little Easter eggs like seeing the Chuds VHS on a counter in the beginning.

Also I wonder of the hands across the nation was what Red fixated on cause that happened the year she was snatched? Was the son's doppelganger really wired wrong? Cause for a minute with the car fire theme I thought we were going to get a Supernatural thing going on where the surface folk had control over the shadows.

The acting for me more than made up for some plot points not making a ton of sense. The daughters doppelganger was very menacing. The son's definitely unhinged.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    I liked the movie a lot. But mostly because

Spoiler:
    The villain wins in the end lol.

My only real nitpicks were like others have said the whole project just being left alone. With presumably millions of people underground and the exits not being secure lol. But there were little Easter eggs like seeing the Chuds VHS on a counter in the beginning.

Also I wonder of the hands across the nation was what Red fixated on cause that happened the year she was snatched? Was the son's doppelganger really wired wrong? Cause for a minute with the car fire theme I thought we were going to get a Supernatural thing going on where the surface folk had control over the shadows.

The acting for me more than made up for some plot points not making a ton of sense. The daughters doppelganger was very menacing. The son's definitely unhinged.
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, it's a little unclear about the Hands Across America motivation (if that's what was on her shirt then we didn't get as great a connection to the other shirt that had Thriller on it, unless the jumpsuits being red were supposed to be a mirror of Michael Jackson's jacket in it but I don't know), given how they call themselves the 'Tethered', you'd think they wouldn't want to have anything holding onto them anymore and have some independence (and that's why them brandishing only scissors makes sense, to symbolically and literally cut away those ties) but...in any case, none of them really have a level of intelligence sufficient to make much of a living that much better than being down in the tunnels in the first place. They can't speak, they haven't displayed any proficiency in using advanced machinery or technology to my recollection. Even if they keep breeding to another generation, those won't grow up with competent enough parents to do much better to acclimate them to our level of civilization so in that sense, it's a hollow victory. Not to mention without their cult leader they have no further direction and are probably doomed by the surviving population of the U.S. and the larger global populations who presumably weren't stupid enough to engage in similar experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, it's a little unclear about the Hands Across America motivation (if that's what was on her shirt then we didn't get as great a connection to the other shirt that had Thriller on it, unless the jumpsuits being red were supposed to be a mirror of Michael Jackson's jacket in it but I don't know), given how they call themselves the 'Tethered', you'd think they wouldn't want to have anything holding onto them anymore and have some independence (and that's why them brandishing only scissors makes sense, to symbolically and literally cut away those ties) but...in any case, none of them really have a level of intelligence sufficient to make much of a living that much better than being down in the tunnels in the first place. They can't speak, they haven't displayed any proficiency in using advanced machinery or technology to my recollection. Even if they keep breeding to another generation, those won't grow up with competent enough parents to do much better to acclimate them to our level of civilization so in that sense, it's a hollow victory. Not to mention without their cult leader they have no further direction and are probably doomed by the surviving population of the U.S. and the larger global populations who presumably weren't stupid enough to engage in similar experiments.
    Hidden:
    At the beginning of the movie, you see a commercial for 'Hands Across America', and the symbol for the movement has a bunch of 'red stickfigures' holding hands. That's why the jumpsuit is red. Not sure about the 'one glove' thing. THAT might be Michael Jackson.

At the end of the day, the Tethered didn't really have any goal or aspiration beyond what Red told them. It's very possible that the Tethered, after having accomplished killing their tethered copy, would have just continued holding hands until they died from starvation or anything else. They don't have a purpose now that their tethered is dead. Meanwhile, Adelaide finds purpose in her family, so she lives on.

There are definitely a few loose ends and unexplained aspects, but I don't think that matters in the face of the movie's moral. It's more of a moral of "the more the oppressed are pushed down, the worse and harder they are going to push up eventually". Hence the reasoning of 'Hands Across America', which was a movement to 'unite America and the oppressed'. When you consider how much death this leads to and how we end up liking Adelaide despite her misdeeds, it doesn't paint an entirely pleasant picture. I really hope Peele speaks about this movie, cause while I liked this movie a lot, it paints a really dark image of his thoughts. Cause while I read the 'oppressed pushing up' aspect, I also read an aspect of "One cannot achieve want they want without another suffering'.

But maybe I'm reading too deeply into it.

Spoiler:
    I assume that maybe the scientists who started the project will be like. Ooops and try to wrangle them back up. But then again they might be dead.
    Oh so...I'm also lost on how Red was affected by this tethering thing. Cause she was the original. Wouldn't the science guys notice her being able to speak? Or maybe more normal? How are they getting this info to the tethered? A Supernatural cause would have had this be less confusing. Cause magic or something. Voodoo or what ever. What's actually connecting them?

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    Hidden:
    At the beginning of the movie, you see a commercial for 'Hands Across America', and the symbol for the movement has a bunch of 'red stickfigures' holding hands. That's why the jumpsuit is red. Not sure about the 'one glove' thing. THAT might be Michael Jackson.

At the end of the day, the Tethered didn't really have any goal or aspiration beyond what Red told them. It's very possible that the Tethered, after having accomplished killing their tethered copy, would have just continued holding hands until they died from starvation or anything else. They don't have a purpose now that their tethered is dead. Meanwhile, Adelaide finds purpose in her family, so she lives on.

There are definitely a few loose ends and unexplained aspects, but I don't think that matters in the face of the movie's moral. It's more of a moral of "the more the oppressed are pushed down, the worse and harder they are going to push up eventually". Hence the reasoning of 'Hands Across America', which was a movement to 'unite America and the oppressed'. When you consider how much death this leads to and how we end up liking Adelaide despite her misdeeds, it doesn't paint an entirely pleasant picture. I really hope Peele speaks about this movie, cause while I liked this movie a lot, it paints a really dark image of his thoughts. Cause while I read the 'oppressed pushing up' aspect, I also read an aspect of "One cannot achieve want they want without another suffering'.

But maybe I'm reading too deeply into it.
    Spoiler:
    I sense in Peele's artistry a fondness for conspiracy theory-esque thinking. It's also interesting how Red (the real Adelaide's usurper) became an agent of the perceived oppressors, completely abandoning the rest of them to their fate and embracing that life so fully she somehow inexplicably forgot all about her former life (another point I don't feel was adequately addressed) and the real Adelaide was, having been one of the surface people originally, became the engineer of the rebellion.

Spoiler:
    itís an allegory for class in america

us = united states

jasonís tethered switched with him a year before the filmís events

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information