+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 218

Thread: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    This is insane!

    I got my membership in september when it was like 24€ for a whole year, which was already a freaking big deal for the amount of manga you got, but this is now even more value for less. Kudos to them.

    My question is, now that it is cheaper, will existing members get something in return for the higher sub prices we payed?
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    I believe it's three extra months past your currently active subscription.

  4. #4
    Duuuude
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Queens, New York, USA

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    So...there will no longer be a weekly comic format? You just show up on Monday and click to the particular manga you want to read the new release of?

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    More info with the new issue next week

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    so the app works on pc, or only in mac or android?









  7. #7
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    Ooh! They finally announced it! So great.

  8. #8
    Discovered Stowaway fana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    I hope the app is updated accordingly because that's what I've been using ever since I first subscribed. Way more convenient than using a browser + VPN to access the outdated online reader.

  9. #9
    Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I believe it's three extra months past your currently active subscription.
    That is awesome.


    Quote Originally Posted by fana View Post
    I hope the app is updated accordingly because that's what I've been using ever since I first subscribed. Way more convenient than using a browser + VPN to access the outdated online reader.
    Yeah I hope so too. I only needed vpn once to download the ios/android apps and pay for a yearly sub, now I can use the apps without vpn which is great.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

  10. #10

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    Anyone else think this announcement warrants it's own thread?

    I feel like a lot that would be interested that read scans won't be reading this particular thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

  11. #11
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Md-Martin View Post
    Anyone else think this announcement warrants it's own thread?

    I feel like a lot that would be interested that read scans won't be reading this particular thread.
    Word .

  12. #12

    Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhau! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

    moved, titled, stickied!
    get hyped :)

  13. #13

    Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

    Folks, how would you feel if, when Jump makes this switch, AP makes a push to try and start enforcing "same day as japan" release schedules and better support the official release?

    We've discussed this before, on staff and in public, and the logistics have always been a nightmare. The english release was weeks behind the japanese originally, and then when it caught up there was the fact that you have to pay to get it, and lots of our readers are around the world and don't have access to it.

    We still can't do anything about the worldwide readers part, but if it's going legit and free there's no reason for us to not try now at least. The bootleg editions will still beat it by a day or two, and that's where the worldwide readers will probably still have to go, but I think the difference between Friday morning and Sunday evening really isn't that huge. If we as a community embraced the change, and as a whole stopped supporting the bootleg scanlation sites while also pushing up Jump's numbers to show them that yes, there is interest in this and that is the way to go, that would only be a positive thing.

    Spoiler stuff could still stay in the spoiler section, and anyone that wants to go hunt down the bootlegs can.... but this is probably the best chance we'll ever have to push and endorse the official release and encourage the transition, and add at least a pretense of credibility to everything we do.

    Would you guys be up for it if we really tried to make a push and enforce the idea? Or is this just a pipe dream and everyone is going to read the bootleg to get it 30 hours sooner anyway? Would all the traffic just die and go to a different site entirely if we enforced this?

    Honest feedback here guys.

  14. #14

    Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

    Video isn't available in Australia.

    Otherwise principle sounds really good - the format of having to individually go back through issues to get to a particular chapter or re-read an arc was the biggest flaw of Viz relative to scanlations (which came across as a ploy to sell more volumes).

  15. #15
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

    Can someone explain what this is about? Both link and video are not available in my country....


  16. #16
    Witch of Miracles otakufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Ocean of Fragments

    Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Can someone explain what this is about? Both link and video are not available in my country....
    Long story short, the English-language Shonen Jump is going to start uploading new chapter releases for free (at least for a few weeks) on the same day as Japanese release and changing their paid subscription model to primarily be for access to the chapter backlog (and supporting the authors/industry).

    Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

  17. #17

    Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    snip
    Put scanlation release discussion in spoiler section.

    Technically, scanlation releases ARE spoilers.


  18. #18
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

    Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Long story short, the English-language Shonen Jump is going to start uploading new chapter releases for free (at least for a few weeks) on the same day as Japanese release and changing their paid subscription model to primarily be for access to the chapter backlog (and supporting the authors/industry).
    I had to google "backlog", with that you mean every single volume released so far, right? So if you subscribe you have access to everything online? And the recent chapters are going to be free as well?

    That's crazy. I wish I wouldn't live in the third world country called Germany. Sadly I know very little about internet things and how to cheat myself around barriers and stuff, and of course I don't know if there would be any legal consequences for me if I did. I need to look into this, thanks.


  19. #19

    Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Folks, how would you feel if, when Jump makes this switch, AP makes a push to try and start enforcing "same day as japan" release schedules and better support the official release?

    We've discussed this before, on staff and in public, and the logistics have always been a nightmare. The english release was weeks behind the japanese originally, and then when it caught up there was the fact that you have to pay to get it, and lots of our readers are around the world and don't have access to it.

    We still can't do anything about the worldwide readers part, but if it's going legit and free there's no reason for us to not try now at least. The bootleg editions will still beat it by a day or two, and that's where the worldwide readers will probably still have to go, but I think the difference between Friday morning and Sunday evening really isn't that huge. If we as a community embraced the change, and as a whole stopped supporting the bootleg scanlation sites while also pushing up Jump's numbers to show them that yes, there is interest in this and that is the way to go, that would only be a positive thing.

    Spoiler stuff could still stay in the spoiler section, and anyone that wants to go hunt down the bootlegs can.... but this is probably the best chance we'll ever have to push and endorse the official release and encourage the transition, and add at least a pretense of credibility to everything we do.

    Would you guys be up for it if we really tried to make a push and enforce the idea? Or is this just a pipe dream and everyone is going to read the bootleg to get it 30 hours sooner anyway? Would all the traffic just die and go to a different site entirely if we enforced this?

    Honest feedback here guys.
    I think we should try and stick with the official schedule. I think the spoiler section can remain for those that want to discuss scans before the official release.

    Honestly, I'm personally going to be done with looking at spoilers. I usually check spoilers because -for the most part- I'm busy on Fridays and Saturdays and like to take the time to read chapters. And when I DO read the chapters properly, it's the Viz release.

    I think us on this forum should at least attempt to try and break this cycle by not posting about chapters until they officially come out.

    I mean, you don't see a huge faction of movie fans openly discussing new movies online that have been released in another country a week early because there are shitty cam quality uploads of it. Most people say "Hey, it's a week and I can actually see the movie instead of seeing this bad quality film with people laughing and reacting in the background while this random logo flashes on the screen every few minutes".

    The fact that scanlations are still preferred by so many with access to the official is because of

    A. The cost of the official

    and

    B. Early release

    Point A has just been solved.

    Point B though is always going to remain as long as this cycle continues of giving incentive to sites to upload them early.

    It's 3 days. Those that are in North America really don't have an excuse to read the scans outside of simply wanting to read it sooner. I've actually been debating back and forth with someone on Twitter who keeps insinuating that this is a waste because "Until they release chapters when the scans come out, nobody will wait". His argument boiled down to "Well even though it's a better quality version of the exact same product all around, I like to talk about One Piece with my friends when it comes out". But he just kept repeating "Well, they should release the online chapters on Fridays and release the physical in Japan on mondays".

    He really thinks the smart business move to "get his business" is undercut people that pay the cheap amount for the weekly physical copy. You know to undercut the fact that people illegally are posting this product.

    I do feel bad for those in countries where this isn't easily accessible though. That's one of the biggest challenges this industry needs to address if they want to fight online piracy. I know it's a tangled mess of licensing and copyright, but it just feels like a problem that gets continually ignored and it gives a direct reason to go to these scans, which in turn incentivize those that are releasing these chapters early, which gives people that HAVE a legal outlet the excuse to not use them and instead read the scans. And the cycle continues.

    Scanlation sites are making ad rev from people on their site. People that have the option of the official release, or scanlations and choose the latter do it because the product they want is coming out earlier. And because of this, as long as it's getting their sites traction, the scanlation sites aren't going to do something like hold off on releasing until the mondays. Because any of them know that if they DID do that, the other sites won't and will just take readers from each other.


    So the cycle needs to be broken. Again, not even of scans themselves, but the decade-and-a-half pattern of fans used to discussing chapters before they are actually released.


    I'm really hoping SJ, Shueisha, and everyone else legally begins a bigger crackdown on those who are getting the chapters uploaded early.

    Remember a few years back when they sent Cease and Desists to Mangastream and a few other sites? Shit changed. Mangastream shut down for a few months, but even when it returned they weren't keeping the entire back-catalog of their scanlations. They only have two or three chapters up at any given time.

    What needs to happen right now with manga is what happened to fansubs with anime. Both fansubs and scanlations were a necessity at certain points for the majority of fans. However, with the advent of simulcasts, or even episodes being subbed in a day, it made the time and effort put into fansubs not worth it. But the legal outlets to watch these series aren't what killed most fansubs. What did it was that -even though fansubbed shows were available cheap and legally- it was far more convenient for websites to just rip the official subbed episodes and upload them to their own sites. Why have somebody who can translate and make the subtitles when you can just reupload the legal version!

    If the gap between scanlations and the official gets any closer, I'm hoping that these sites/translators decide the time and effort of having their inferior product out a day or two earlier than the free superior version just isn't worth it. There has to be some point when they decide it's just easier to steal the official release and upload it for those who can't legally access it.

    But the final nail in the coffin is always going to be stopping those in Japan who have access to the magazine early and scan them. I'd assume those people are both the easiest to prosecute(with them being in Japan and all) and the best way to stop this problem. No point in scanlations if that gap disappears. And that gap only exists because of these people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

  20. #20
    21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

    So, I know VIZ Online uploads the serials on monday here in the States. When does Japan get it?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts