+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

Default Re: New Shonen Jump Overhaul! - FREE OP simulpub + paid backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Folks, how would you feel if, when Jump makes this switch, AP makes a push to try and start enforcing "same day as japan" release schedules and better support the official release?

We've discussed this before, on staff and in public, and the logistics have always been a nightmare. The english release was weeks behind the japanese originally, and then when it caught up there was the fact that you have to pay to get it, and lots of our readers are around the world and don't have access to it.

We still can't do anything about the worldwide readers part, but if it's going legit and free there's no reason for us to not try now at least. The bootleg editions will still beat it by a day or two, and that's where the worldwide readers will probably still have to go, but I think the difference between Friday morning and Sunday evening really isn't that huge. If we as a community embraced the change, and as a whole stopped supporting the bootleg scanlation sites while also pushing up Jump's numbers to show them that yes, there is interest in this and that is the way to go, that would only be a positive thing.

Spoiler stuff could still stay in the spoiler section, and anyone that wants to go hunt down the bootlegs can.... but this is probably the best chance we'll ever have to push and endorse the official release and encourage the transition, and add at least a pretense of credibility to everything we do.

Would you guys be up for it if we really tried to make a push and enforce the idea? Or is this just a pipe dream and everyone is going to read the bootleg to get it 30 hours sooner anyway? Would all the traffic just die and go to a different site entirely if we enforced this?

Honest feedback here guys.
    Going to be honest, I'm of...unexpectedly mixed feelings on this...

From an industry perspective, I think it's a great move, giving fans who want to read the English version an official way to do so that is both free and is as timely as possible without undercutting the Japanese release. On that front, I wholeheartedly support the decision.

From a community perspective...I kind of like things the way they are. I'm all for supporting the author and the industry, and having access to the VIZ version without needing a subscription is something that I will definitely strive to use... But I'm also someone who enjoys theorizing and speculating as we get the spoilers, and frankly anyone following the spoilers is going to read a scan so long as they're available. Having to wait until the VIZ release to discuss the chapter in the public forum forces spoiler-goers to either do a hefty chunk of their discussion in the spoiler thread (which would ultimately be locked), or just sit on their thoughts and comments for another 2+ days. Furthermore, comparing/contrasting different translations can be insightful at times.

Perhaps allow spoiler-goers to start a chapter discussion thread in the spoiler section, then move it to the public manga forum after the official release?

Ultimately, I've no plans to go anywhere - I like the community here (most of the time :p).
    Last edited by otakufan; December 7th, 2018 at 10:41 PM.

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

Spoiler discussing the leaked chapters would stay in the spoiler thread, I'd think.

In the past we've tried having a "viz translation" discussion thread, but that hasn't worked because all the traffic runs through the first release thread. But if they were one in the same, it might be different.

Or it might be the spoiler threads become 50 pages long and the official chapter discussions are dead. I dunno. Hence asking for feedback.

That's great and all, but I don't care about weekly official releases. I'd rather just buy a volume, that way I support the series and get an addition to the bookshelf. Same mentality goes for western comics for me. And spoiler discussion is usually more fun than actual chapter discussion, a great deal of the weekly fun is speculating on the chapter as details and pics come out. With release threads I just skim the first and last few posts if anything at all, so I don't care what happens there as long as those of us who like spoilers can still discuss in the subforum.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Spoiler discussing the leaked chapters would stay in the spoiler thread, I'd think.

In the past we've tried having a "viz translation" discussion thread, but that hasn't worked because all the traffic runs through the first release thread. But if they were one in the same, it might be different.

Or it might be the spoiler threads become 50 pages long and the official chapter discussions are dead. I dunno. Hence asking for feedback.
    That's my concern, more or less.

If everything continues as it has in the past, we'll have roughly five days (Wed-Mon) between spoilers starting to show up and the official chapter release, and two days between chapter release and the next chapter's spoilers. I think it's only natural that the bulk of the discussion would therefore end up in the spoiler threads.

Of course, that's provided spoilers/RAWs come out as they have been in the past... If the economic ecosystem and incentive structure changes enough that they start coming out later (or not at all), that's a different matter entirely.

As I said, though, short of something full-on cataclysmic happening to the forum, I'm not planning on going anywhere. And ultimately, I'm a big proponent of trying to support the author/industry when I am able. One Piece is really the only series I still follow regularly/obsessively enough to warrant reading scans in the first place, and that hasn't stopped me from piling up all 88 volumes of the English release on my bookshelf.

End of the day, I'll adapt like everyone else.

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

I think there should be only one single thread. A lot of things that is said in the spoiler thread is missed by those who don't read spoilers. People who postin the spoiler thread don't want to retell what they have already told.
    Current lengths don't justify to have 2 threads.
    The only inconvenient is that an admin must move the thread since the spoiler section is in a private area

This is a great opportunity to make the change, I think it's a good idea to give it a try. If the schedule becomes normal and consistent, there will be lots of people who will adapt.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Excuse me, guys, it will be available only in US? Or in Europe too?
    'Cause i can't download the Shonen Jump Manga Reader App in Italy.
    "Let's go to the New World! Yeah!"

This is great. My year subscription just ended and I was about to renew until I saw this. So I'll wait until the 17th? Or get it now....hmmm..
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by danilomaster87 View Post
    Excuse me, guys, it will be available only in US? Or in Europe too?
    'Cause i can't download the Shonen Jump Manga Reader App in Italy.
    It's only available in the US and other English speaking countries. However, at least for now, the app works even if you are outside of those territories. So if you use a VPN or happen to be in the UK for whatever reason, you can download the app and then use it no problem.

I'd like the idea of switching to the official schedule if the service was available for more countries. A lot of members here live in places where we can't access these.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

Damn this sounds mighty fine, here's to hoping we will eventually see the day when scans of mainstream series become a thing of the past.
    I really, really wish they'd be able to extend their business to Europe, though. Similar to others, I live in France and here as well the video (and likely any opportunity to buy from Viz that doesn't involve a VPN) is blocked.

As for pushing back discussion to the day of legal release, I'm all for it. It's not like anything we say here couldn't wait 30 hours or so.
    Last edited by Seafarer33; December 8th, 2018 at 07:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    As for pushing back discussion to the day of legal release, I'm all for it. It's not like anything we say here couldn't wait 30 hours or so.
    In a time when kids have to answer their notications in seconds, 30 hours is an eternity...

Folks, how would you feel if, when Jump makes this switch, AP makes a push to try and start enforcing "same day as japan" release schedules and better support the official release?

We've discussed this before, on staff and in public, and the logistics have always been a nightmare. The english release was weeks behind the japanese originally, and then when it caught up there was the fact that you have to pay to get it, and lots of our readers are around the world and don't have access to it.

We still can't do anything about the worldwide readers part, but if it's going legit and free there's no reason for us to not try now at least. The bootleg editions will still beat it by a day or two, and that's where the worldwide readers will probably still have to go, but I think the difference between Friday morning and Sunday evening really isn't that huge. If we as a community embraced the change, and as a whole stopped supporting the bootleg scanlation sites while also pushing up Jump's numbers to show them that yes, there is interest in this and that is the way to go, that would only be a positive thing.

Spoiler stuff could still stay in the spoiler section, and anyone that wants to go hunt down the bootlegs can.... but this is probably the best chance we'll ever have to push and endorse the official release and encourage the transition, and add at least a pretense of credibility to everything we do.

Would you guys be up for it if we really tried to make a push and enforce the idea? Or is this just a pipe dream and everyone is going to read the bootleg to get it 30 hours sooner anyway? Would all the traffic just die and go to a different site entirely if we enforced this?

I'm 100 percent in support. There's only a 2 day difference, it's affordable, and it's completely legal. I don't see what the problem with keeping the Spoiler thread open for 2 more days would be? I also think that most people will come to find that a week is a week. Waiting monday to monday feels the same as friday to friday.

Reading more about it (especially the daily restriction to the vault), I now have a bad feeling that the app won't get access to all of this. That would mean no more offline reading which would sucks. I really hope I'm wrong.

I'm passionately behind making the transition, Robby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

+1 to trying to shift to a official release date.

Honestly, the hard part will be avoiding spoilers. There's so many youtubers I'm subscribed to that do live reactions and discussions well before Monday hits. Will have to really change my weekly habits.

Also might be worth just subscribing to the $2 a month to get the ENTIRE catalog. Now I just hope they put that money into bettering their interface. I still cannot believe they are using flash on their site.
    Last edited by Darkestsith6; December 8th, 2018 at 02:36 PM.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

You need to use a vpn once to download the app on ios or android. And on pc to make an account on the shonen jump site, then you can start the app on your device without vpn and log in without problems or region lock and all the content is there.

I got an annual sub in september and planned to catch up to series like Dr. Stone, MHA, Food Wars etc. on scan sites up to the current SJ issues from ViZ. Thankfully still haven‘t done it due to other things, cause now in a couple days I will be able to read the entire backlog in great quality and legally on the app.

I‘m really happy. Give me a great service and like in the case of netflix, spotify and so on, I won‘t need to use illegal means.

Sucks that it isn‘t worldwide, but different licensors in other countries basically make this impossible.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

I think the forum following the official schedule only makes sense at this point. But I can't compromise.

Since I will still need to follow the scanlations to get weekly chapters, I will obviously discuss it with the rest of the fandom as soon as JB/MS/whoever releases them on friday. By the time the official thread is open on monday/sunday night, I will have discussed pretty much everything I wanted and I will not engage much in discussions. I don't feel right saying "yeah, do it" knowing once it is done I will not help to keep those threads active.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkestsith6 View Post
    +1 to trying to shift to a official release date.

Honestly, the hard part will be avoiding spoilers. There's so many youtubers I'm subscribed to that do live reactions and discussions well before Monday hits. Will have to really change my weekly habits.
    While I don't enjoy any of the One Piece youtubers, I get what you're saying.

That's why I honestly recommend everybody that watches these people and supports the official release, to send a message to these people.

I mean they're content creators. They rely on people to view and "like" their content. If these people explain "hey could you push back to the official release date, because I want to support the official release and don't want to have to stop watching your videos when they're released or unsubscribe to avoid spoilers" there's a good chance they'll actually consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

I basically dont use twitter/youtube/instagram from the days the spoiler drop to the day the scan gets released. Id basically have to cut off all the social media for half the week or mute hundreds of words on twitter. I could do that if enough people held off on things and the big timers I follow followed suit.

Regarding officializing I have two things to say.

1. I would be down if there was a way to have two threads one for the traditional spoiler release and one for the scans. I dont like reading text and images seperately so I would like a way to know when the scan is released and thus maybe having two spoiler threads would work.

2. The other side of this argument is are you legit if you host any spoilers on the site. Because having a similar amount of people talk about the chapter but in a members only forum might be better optics but Id argue it still isnt completely official.

Edit:

3. The lack of chapter discussion wont effect only the threads but every other thread in the manga section. And I guess other threads in the other manga forum.
    Last edited by Long John Silvers Rayleigh; December 8th, 2018 at 02:23 PM.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information