+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Default She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

The trailer for Netflix's new She-Ra series is out. The show looks it's good so far.

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Non-Disney animation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    The trailer for Netflix's new She-Ra series is out. The show looks it's good so far.

She looks a hell of a lot like Artemis from Young Justice before transforming. Also, She-Ra AND the Princess of Power? As in they're not the same person? Odd. I guess they're really going for something that radically departs from the orignal She-Ra: Princess of Power. Did they already reboot He-Man and/or Masters of the Universe elsewhere?

I watched a few episodes of Paradise PD on Netflix and I have to say, it's very similar to another show I watched on there, Brickleberry, which used a great deal of the same cast members, and which I also enjoyed. It goes way, WAY more over the top than Brickleberry ever did and I was surprised to learn that Justin Bieber was the voice of one of the main characters (a step down from Daniel Tosh being one of the mains in Brickleberry). I think the characters that make up the central group in Paradise PD are more entertaining than the ones in Brickleberry overall, so I get the feeling I'll enjoy it more thoroughly even though Tom Kenny's character is more or less the same in both.
    Last edited by BattleFranky69; September 10th, 2018 at 11:54 AM.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

it actually says "Princesses" so...a group?

seems like a poomped flash style thing. Can't say much, doesn't look particularly beautiful or fluid, have to wait a bit more to check how it will turn

I never watched any of the original show, but was He-Man/Adam somehow connected to it?

The most I know is that she is her sister.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    She looks a hell of a lot like Artemis from Young Justice before transforming. Also, She-Ra AND the Princess of Power? As in they're not the same person? Odd. I guess they're really going for something that radically departs from the orignal She-Ra: Princess of Power. Did they already reboot He-Man and/or Masters of the Universe elsewhere?
    Not sure I like that transformation sequence. I mean, maybe it's a little too Sailor Moon? But She-Ra isn't Sailor Moon. She's She-Ra.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    it actually says "Princesses" so...a group?
    The only other princess I can think of in her group is Glimmer. So maybe they're creating more characters.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I never watched any of the original show, but was He-Man/Adam somehow connected to it?

The most I know is that she is her sister.
    You need to watch a movie called He-Man and She-Ra: Secret of the Sword. It basically covers the entire story of how He-Man and She-Ra meet, and how She-Ra becomes the heroine she is and makes all her friends.

It's technically just the first 5 episodes of the She-Ra series, but it works as a movie.

Discovered Stowaway

I just meant facial-wise, her eyes and hair when it's tied back remind me of Artemis from Young Justice. After she transforms, though, the resemblance doesn't come through anymore.

Oh, if they want to give her a ponytail then whatever, I just want her transformation to be a little cooler than that.

But hey, maybe it'll be cooler when we see it in full form.

The longer trailer for She-Ra got released. I'm still interested in it. Mostly cause I was so young when I watched it I hardly remember any details or plot lol.

Hmmmm, very interesting. Making it their own She-Ra without losing the basics. (although I wonder if He-Man and Grayskull itself will ever show up. I mean, She-Ra is supposed to be his twin sister)

Great redesign on Catra. Monsters look good too.

I'm decidedly not the target audience but it looks like its in fine hands. Unlike the new Thundercats....

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

I might get some hate for this, but is it just me or it looks really amateurish? Like, I know there was a lot of controversy about the character designs themselves, and i have to say I'm not really a fan... but jesus the animation is clanky and weird. I guess I could describe it by saying that there's actually no sakuga going on whatsoever? I'd understand making simpler character designs for the sake of easier animation, but for the movements to look like that? I mean, what's the point? You might as well have just used the old, more intricate character designs!

I guess they were really stripped for cash, because just off the trailer it feels like the animating team is really really small. Most of those scenes look like a one-person job! If netflix can produce Castlevania and make it look and animate in an awesome way, why does this look so... cheap? It's got worse animation than the simpsons! Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    I might get some hate for this, but is it just me or it looks really amateurish? Like, I know there was a lot of controversy about the character designs themselves, and i have to say I'm not really a fan... but jesus the animation is clanky and weird. I guess I could describe it by saying that there's actually no sakuga going on whatsoever? I'd understand making simpler character designs for the sake of easier animation, but for the movements to look like that? I mean, what's the point? You might as well have just used the old, more intricate character designs!
    You haven't actually seen the original series in motion, or just how much they resued the same handful of frames over and over, have you. They could have those designs because they didn't actually do any movement with them.

I guess they were really stripped for cash, because just off the trailer it feels like the animating team is really really small. Most of those scenes look like a one-person job! If netflix can produce Castlevania and make it look and animate in an awesome way, why does this look so... cheap? It's got worse animation than the simpsons! Meh.
    The Simpsons is actually pretty high animation quality. It's not *detailed*, but the actual frame rate and consistency is pretty absurd. Something as simple as the characters having a full range of lip flaps and constant subtle movement are things taken for granted, but Simpsons is loaded with that.

And Castlevania looks like it looks because
    1-they're using all the anime shortcuts. Lots of still frames, slow pans, or only having mouths move. Detailed stuff around it to disguise the fact.
    2-It's ONLY a 12 episode series... that they've been working on since 2007. And the first four episodes came out a year and a half ago, and the rest don't arrive until late this mont. Its taken a year and a half between the first four episodes and the next 8. It looks like it does because there's very little of it, it's not planned as an ongoing, and they spent forever on it.

Your mixing up animation design and animation quality, which happens all the time. How something looks in a still frame isn't the same as how it looks in motion. They're not the same thing.

Voltron on the other hand is a much better thing to point to for consistency and quality, and they throw an obscene ammount of effort into their season ending fights.
    Last edited by Robby; October 8th, 2018 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    I finally got to see the first couple of episodes of She-Ra. I can't quite put my finger on it but this version in general reminds me of something else but I can't recall what.

I love Bow. I just like that he's kinda a dip but is just nice in general.
    I'm three episodes in, and its pretty dang good! Not exaclty "original", but just well crafted. Good pacing, good writing, good acting- plus, looks and sounds great. Really worth a look.

As for the vibe, I'm kinda getting Avatar + Steven Universe in an 80's Sci-Fi Fantasy pastiche setting

I believe this is what Stevenson and her crew are trying to evoke with that artstyle:

Atlantis: The Lost Empire?
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    I believe this is what Stevenson and her crew are trying to evoke with that artstyle:

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/p...nadia_8134.jpg
    The eyes and the noses are more Ghibli than Gainax It's a sort of style several american artists eventually arrived at.

Though obviously the haircuts and color choices are something else entirely run through 90's magical girl filters.

I know I've seen a couple comics in a very similar art style but can't remember their names for the life of me. Oh well, it does remind me of Rod Espinosa's work somewhat.

Puppy Cat. That's what it reminds me of.

Spoiler:

Also Mermista is my favorite Princess so far lol.
    Last edited by Cyclone_Baroness; November 16th, 2018 at 08:57 PM.

Am I the only one who thinks no one in this new She-Ra is straight?

And Scorpia is best princess btw.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks no one in this new She-Ra is straight?

And Scorpia is best princess btw.
    It kinda does feel that way. Like at minimum everyone is Bi.

It's actually hard for me to have a flat out favorite. I love Bow, Mermista, Scorpia, Swift Wind, Kyle poor poor Kyle, Sea Hawk and Entrapa.

Got through the entire first season with my wife. It shapes up a little in the second half after it stops being "princess of the day" episodes. They've apparently already got 50 episodes ordered/underway/done, so there's a lot more to come.

It's nothing groundbreaking, but its a fine update. Very Avatar/Steven Universe, and more of that is always good.

I like the badguys way better than the goodguys. Way better. Liked Catra from the start, and then Scorpina was great once she came in... and then especially once they get the third member of their squad. Yup, way better than the heroes. I'm on team villain baby.
    Last edited by Robby; November 21st, 2018 at 09:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information