+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Default Re: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

So apparently Netflix is going to do a He-Man show now. The press release makes it seem like it'll be independent from She-Ra, different showrunners, art style, and continuity, so it gets its own thread for now. If at a later date the shows prove to have more in common threads can be merged then.

http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=54280
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So I finally got around to giving this show a chance and, wow, three seasons in less than a year? That's...something.

Anyway, watched the first episode last night. Pretty solid, great animation, and Catra is immediately the standout character.

Also, Dreamworks made this? Huh, never noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    So I finally got around to giving this show a chance and, wow, three seasons in less than a year? That's...something.
    They're Netflix seasons so that doesn't mean much. They took a normal season 2 and cut it in half to make seasons 2 and 3 with a shorter than normal wait time, so those "seasons" are only 6 or 7 episodes long. The way the cliffhangers and climaxes work out its pretty clear that 13 episode chunk or seasons 2 and 3 was meant to be a single season, its only 26 eps total so far.

They did the same thing with Voltron for its middle seasons, and some of their live action shows. Lets them keep content flowing instead of going a year without episodes which can be death to momentum, especially on kid's shows. (Also lets them boast a higher season count when they sell the dvds I guess.)
    Last edited by Robby; September 3rd, 2019 at 06:47 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So Catra is going to be the villain.

I already hate this.
    Last edited by Nobodyman; September 3rd, 2019 at 07:36 PM.

I've only watched a few episodes of the first season, but it feels like it's trying too hard to be Steven Universe.

So Catra is going to be the villain.

I already hate this.
    She is a villain yes, but she remains my favorite character on the show and she's by far the most interesting. Especially once she starts getting her own backup.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I've only watched a few episodes of the first season, but it feels like it's trying too hard to be Steven Universe.
    No. No it's not. Unless you mean by the bright girl-friendly pastel color palette, but that's kind of a standard.

Finished Season 1. Not an amazing or groundbreaking series (not that I was expecting it to be), but still pretty fun.

Actually, what I think is really cool and progressive about this series (aside from the LBGTQ stuff) is how all the characters, the Horde included, are basically good people, some of them just happen to be fighting on the wrong side. Except of course for Hordak and Shadow Weaver who are the typical evil big bads.

But of course, as everyone has said, the best part of the show is Catra and her relationship with Adora. It's really frustrating and kind of heart-breaking because you really want these two to reconcile, but Catra's pride just won't let it happen. And that alone is incentive enough for me to continue this series and see where it all goes.

Look what the showrunner drew.

Wow Catra you just crossed a line...
    Spoiler:
    Saying you’re not friends with Scorpia. Bad kitty, bad kitty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, real talk...

Spoiler:
    Double Trouble is the MVP of the season, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Okay, real talk...

Spoiler:
    Double Trouble is the MVP of the season, right?
    I'm only 3 episodes in.
    Spoiler:
    But yes. Fo sho.

Also on Catra...

Spoiler:
    Catra abusing people. .."Why does everyone leave me!?"

Glimmer...

Spoiler:
    How does she get worse every season?
    Last edited by Cyclone_Baroness; November 6th, 2019 at 06:52 PM.

Ok is it wrong to think that the manipulative seneschal and Swiftwind have more common sense than 2/3 of the cast?

Spoiler:
    That was a fast descend into madness to Catra.
    Oh Glimmer you were doing so well for most part and then you ruined it.
    Scorpia and Entrapta are still my favorites but Double Trouble is a MVP.

So, the forum was kinda down while I assume everyone was watching this season, but whoo. Stuff happened.

Nice to know they had a four season arc planned from the get, that seems to have paid off now and it'll be real interesting to see what the final season does.

Spoiler:
    I kind of get the feeling they may end up letting all the villains off the hook. Catra seems to have learned some sort of lesson even if she's gone too far before, and Hordak has signs maybe? Scorpia is already off the hook, she was never that bad.

And all the She-Ra lore and true purpose stuff. And the breaking of the sort. Yikes! Reeeal curious to see what they do with that, or if they just let Adora be Adora the entire last season, since it was never all that much about She-Ra... in much the same way the Voltron reboot was rarely about Voltron, and only had the actual robot in maybe a dozen episodes.

Also Glimmer became truly insufferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    So, the forum was kinda down while I assume everyone was watching this season, but whoo. Stuff happened.

Nice to know they had a four season arc planned from the get, that seems to have paid off now and it'll be real interesting to see what the final season does.

Spoiler:
    I kind of get the feeling they may end up letting all the villains off the hook. Catra seems to have learned some sort of lesson even if she's gone too far before, and Hordak has signs maybe? Scorpia is already off the hook, she was never that bad.

And all the She-Ra lore and true purpose stuff. And the breaking of the sort. Yikes! Reeeal curious to see what they do with that, or if they just let Adora be Adora the entire last season, since it was never all that much about She-Ra... in much the same way the Voltron reboot was rarely about Voltron, and only had the actual robot in maybe a dozen episodes.

Also Glimmer became truly insufferable.
    I thought this was probably the best season of She-Ra yet, that balanced interesting season-long arcs with a couple fun character episodes that still played into said arcs.

The big divider on this season is definitely Glimmer-
    Spoiler:
    I found the issues she was dealing with this season to be reasonable and even sympathetic for the most part. A clash with Adora's leadership is natural given her new role, but it simply went on for too long. I still liked seeing Glimmer develop more as a character and found her argument regarding the Heart of Eternia to be reasonably compelling given her knowledge. It just shouldn't have dominated the season as much as it did.

On a slightly related note, the final conflict between Adora and Lighthope felt underwhelming. I wanted some other character to have an impact on Adora or Lighthope in order to change the tide, instead of basically just a really dramatic argument with minimal shifts.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Man, I dunno

Hidden:
    I can understand where Glimmer getting some newfound hate is coming from, and it's not entirely unjustified, but as Jabberwok said she does have her strong enough reasons, and the last epiode did lay into how much like Catra she was becoming. Maybe I just love my morally grey female antiheroine figures (Rose Quartz, Princess Carolyn).

Easily the best Season so far btw, what with "Hero" alone. Also echoing everyone saying Double Trouble is MVP.

Also anyone else seems to catch that all the straight relationships in the series are unrequited/tragic? While most of the gay ones are relatively normal? Nice inverse of the usual tropes there haha

Dunno
    Spoiler:
    Mermista/Seahawk and Hordak/Entrapta seemed like itens. Well until Hordak got rebooted. While Scorpia/Catra and Catra/Adora never really went anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    While Scorpia/Catra and Catra/Adora never really went anywhere
    ...because they're not couples? None of the those characters are established as gay?

Yeah we can infer all we want and say its obvious, (and it is) but there was nothing official to indicate any romance there.

Hordak/Entrapta seemed like itens
    Yes, that would fall under "tragic".

Whoo! What a season!

Spoiler:
    So, coincidentally, I caught up on Seasons 2 and 3 (or just 2, whatever) just a few days before Season 4 premiered (or 3, whatever. Dammit Netflix). So basically it's like I was watching all 39 episodes in one go.

So from that perspective, I have to say that this was easily best season yet. Season 1 I thought was fine. And season 2, while better, still didn't get above just "good" for me. But Season 3 (we'll just call it that since, for all intents and purposes, that's what it is) is the first season I can safely say was truly great. This is the first time I was totally invented and really wanted to watch each episode to see what would happen next. Naturally, I can't wait to see what happens in the next and presumably last season. Anyway, some observations:

-Glad they updated the opening, if only a little bit
    -This season did a much better job of balancing its characters. Season 2 was kinda weak in that Swiftwind and the Princesses were basically forgotten after the first few episodes. That said, I think Catra is the one who suffered the most this season since she didn't do much aside from just get pissy at everyone.
    -A little surprised Glimmer is apparently getting so much hate. Yeah, she made some pretty bad decisions, but I at least understood where she was coming from. Plus, I love her new hairstyle.
    -Double Trouble was definitely the standout new character this season (dumb name though).
    -I'm actually glad we got a break from Entrapta this season as her schtick can get kind of annoying, but I'm still glad to have her back.

This was very much the best season. Double Trouble MVP 100%.

Spoiler:
    Their truth about thinking about kids falling in order to cry really nailed down that slot for me lol.

Scorpia is my favorite princess now that she finally told Catra what she needed to said. She is a bad friend.

Mermista is second best for the detective episode and then having a bath and ice cream wallowing. I forgot she has a mermaid tail.

Frosta was adorable when trying to bond with Scorpia when she worried she overstepped by making ice pincers lol.

I felt so bad for Bow. Glimmer really was being much more of a problem than what seemed tolerable. I get missing her mother and learning magic but straight up not listening to Bow and Adora about the giant doom weapon not being a good thing was super stupid. Cause now with the sword broken they really can't use it to vaporize Hordak Prime's forces.

-Double Trouble was definitely the standout new character this season (dumb name though).
    You can blame the original series for that one.

Though apparently the character never actually appeared in the old show, just some spinoff material and a a toy, so its a pretty deep lore cut. Also the old version, like most of the characters in the show, seems to have nothing in common with the new one aside from teh name and power.

https://he-man.fandom.com/wiki/Doubl...le_(character)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information