+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Default Re: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

I just finished the 2nd season. It's kinda an odd episode to pause on. Buuuut. I enjoyed it. I love when kid shows actually give us more perspective.

Spoiler:
    Bow having two black dads was surprising. But when you see Lance and George interact you see bits of their personalities that make up Bow's and it was so sweet. Also 13 brothers? Holy crap I have questions lol.

The First One's tattoo actually being Lunch instead of Love had me dying.

My opinion of Catra didn't change much towards the end. I feel slightly bad. But for someone who's a survivor type I would have expected her to bounce. Did Adora not ask her to leave as well in season 1? Really there's no benefit and it seems like she's just being prideful and jealous.

Spoiler:
    Also it bugs me she's so mean to Scorpia and she just wants to be besties or more. But I think if Hordak tosses her in to the beast zone or whatever she'll go after her. Oooo maybe we'll get a Battle Cat cameo.

Entrapa's logic in staying with the horde because of tech is kinda silly when they spend so much time stealing tech from the Princesses territory. But if Scorpia and Catra leave I imagine the ranks will get filled with whoever comes from that portal.

Spinner's plotline will be interesting...

I'm just kind of annoyed they didn't change the opening to reflect the new status quo with some of the characters. Makes me thing some of the changes aren't really going to be super long term.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Oh yeah. It still shows Entrapta as one of the rebellion princesses. Does Netflix change their kid friendly show openings? I can only think of Bojack changing their's slightly. But they don't seem to invest a ton of time on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    My opinion of Catra didn't change much towards the end. I feel slightly bad. But for someone who's a survivor type I would have expected her to bounce. Did Adora not ask her to leave as well in season 1? Really there's no benefit and it seems like she's just being prideful and jealous.
    Leaving an abusive home isn't exactly easy under any circumstances. For Adora, it took exposure to the outside world and a discovery of her own ability to shape it for her to find a reason to leave. Catra, though, has a more entangled relationship with the horde. She was always treated as useless in a society that valued strength over anything, and thought that her power just wasn't being recognized. This frustrated Catra and caused her to develop a complex about proving herself against the people who mistreated her. In her mind, Adora not only abandoned her struggle, but actively held her back. Once she overcame Shadow Weaver, Catra's sense of accomplishment in the horde and antagonism towards Adora kept her firmly on the Horde's side. Now that she has responsibility and knows the terror of dealing with Hordak, she has a fear of his wrath, too. From the outside it's easy to go 'yo, you're being mistreated, get out of there!' but to Catra, being told that would be being told to give up, to prove to everyone that she really was useless all along, to accept that her accomplishments are meaningless and that she's been holding herself back, and to expose herself to Hordak's vengeance. So there's a bit of baggage there.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Oh yeah. It still shows Entrapta as one of the rebellion princesses. Does Netflix change their kid friendly show openings? I can only think of Bojack changing their's slightly. But they don't seem to invest a ton of time on them.
    I haven't watched too many of the NF original shows. Fuller House has updated its opening to show the kids growing up. It's not really on Netflix, its on the showrunners. And the style of the opening means it would have been a really, REALLY easy change to make.

So it'll be really jarring if she's still with the badguys in 50 episodes but her status in 2 early episodes keeps her right there in the opening forever. She was one of the baddies in the original show apparently so... she was always intended to go over there.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Leaving an abusive home isn't exactly easy under any circumstances. For Adora, it took exposure to the outside world and a discovery of her own ability to shape it for her to find a reason to leave. Catra, though, has a more entangled relationship with the horde. She was always treated as useless in a society that valued strength over anything, and thought that her power just wasn't being recognized. This frustrated Catra and caused her to develop a complex about proving herself against the people who mistreated her. In her mind, Adora not only abandoned her struggle, but actively held her back. Once she overcame Shadow Weaver, Catra's sense of accomplishment in the horde and antagonism towards Adora kept her firmly on the Horde's side. Now that she has responsibility and knows the terror of dealing with Hordak, she has a fear of his wrath, too. From the outside it's easy to go 'yo, you're being mistreated, get out of there!' but to Catra, being told that would be being told to give up, to prove to everyone that she really was useless all along, to accept that her accomplishments are meaningless and that she's been holding herself back, and to expose herself to Hordak's vengeance. So there's a bit of baggage there.
    I see your points. I still find her obnoxious and irritating.

@Robby. Well I dunno. I forgot Fuller House existed. Also I figured live Action would be easier to slap together a new opening. I didn't recall Entrapa being a villain originally. That's kinda interesting. Was she anything like this version?

@Robby. Well I dunno. I forgot Fuller House existed. Also I figured live Action would be easier to slap together a new opening. I didn't recall Entrapa being a villain originally. That's kinda interesting. Was she anything like this version?
    She didn't show up till the second season.

And basically no one on the old show was anything like their version on the new show. It's pretty much a whole cloth reimagination aside from the premise and the names. They were all much, much worse in the old one.

And even in animation that opening would be easy to change. You remove a half second of footage where she's actually animated in the front sequence.... (and actually since she's between the good and badguy sections she's probably okay there....) and then remove her from one *still frame* and then insert her into a different *still frame*. No new animation or complicated intertwining needed, it'd be super easy. I could Photoshop it in about five minutes from the raw flat assets, someone with the actual layered files in front of them should be able to do it cleanly in like two seconds.

Hidden:
    Just look at how super easy she'd be to take out of that shot.
    Last edited by Robby; May 6th, 2019 at 12:15 PM.

True should be easy fixes...Also I didn't realize those two other princesses who rarely get to speak were hugging lol.

Also holy crap that clip was ridiculous lol.

Just finished the second season last night

Spoiler:

Catra's character development is phenomenal, even if I am rooting for her much less in this season than in the last one. In the last season it was easier to feel her pain and want her to succeed, in this one her weaknesses break through so much more and make her harder to sympathize with overall. But they make for such great character development, particularly her interactions with Shadow Weaver, that I can't fault them for it. Her nastier streaks in this season all make sense character-wise, so it's not just an evil character being evil because evil, and I love that.

Entrapta being wacky for the sake of wacky still kind of tires me, she's probably the least redeemable character for me. Almost everyone in the horde I can like for being on the Horde side due to their own personal reasons and ambitions, but Entrapta causing actual serious harm and potential death on an entire planet and just being derpily happy anyway and showing barely any remorse when interacting with clearly distraught Bow and Glimmer... it makes her seem so cruel to me.

Talk about reasons and ambitions, I want to know more about how Scorpia wound up on the Horde side because she's quickly becoming one of the most likable characters. The planning episode threatened to go too far into her quirkiness, but it was still hilarious, and the show still makes her threatening when she's fighting the rebels. Then the sea hawk interaction in that one episode gave her such a strong showing that I start to hope she gets what she wants and Catra notices what she can provide.

Bow is the other main winner of these episodes. He was always likable in the first season but in this one he was just particularly strong, often being the person in the main trio that brought everyone to their senses and moved the plot forward. The episode with his dads was also sheer fun, and his moment in the planning episode was easily a highlight of the season.

Hope more episodes are coming soon, the more this show goes the more impressed I am by the writing and consistency of the characters. I wish is that the scope of the show was larger, but with only seven episodes in a season I'm perfectly fine with the fact that the show limits itself in how many characters get focus since it allows for those characters to have really strong arcs and personalities.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information