+ Reply to Thread
Page 635 of 643 FirstFirst ... 135 535 585 625 633 634 635 636 637 ... LastLast
Results 12,681 to 12,700 of 12859

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

Yeah, its getting to be a bit much for me. My wife wants to keep seeing the thigns so we watched Wandvision and Lokli (haven't gotten to Falcon yet) but it's just... 5 movies and however many series is just... too much.

Same with DC's Arrowverse. I'm sure if I'd started when it was just Arrow back in 2012 and added one at a time I maybe could have dealt with it, but there's no way I'm watching 7 different series at this point, four of which are over 100 episodes... it's just too much.

At this point with Marvel I just want to see Spiderman and the last Guardians film, and I think I'm done.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    the MCU is the leading money-maker franchise of all time, Star Wars doesn't even compare, they're not letting a single penny go to waste.
    That's pure quantity at this point. per film BO they're still pretty much the same on average. They've both had films that make 2 billion, they've both had films make 400 million.

They just didn't have a good guiding hand for the new SWmovies so they've been uneven and audience reception waivered accordingly, folks like the shows just fine though.

marvel IS going to hurt itself with oversaturation and they'll pull back. 5 films a year AND 4-7 tv shows is just... too much.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Incidentally, this dropped today

Was not expecting that tone. And a Steve Rogers musical is just too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Same with DC's Arrowverse. I'm sure if I'd started when it was just Arrow back in 2012 and added one at a time I maybe could have dealt with it, but there's no way I'm watching 7 different series at this point, four of which are over 100 episodes... it's just too much.
    If it makes you feel better, they've pretty much given up on any context of a bigger universe after Crisis and Arrow's ending.

You'd think that'd be a good place to start rebuilding, but nope.

Flash became absolute garbage within the last two seasons(particularly this last one). And even so, it ignores it's own continuity now and just brought characters that died....and on other earths without even bothering to explain how.

Superman and Lois is actually pretty good, but din't even mention Supergirl a single time in the entire season. Like you think that'd be a pretty big thing for Clark to tell his sons. "Yeah, my cousin? Also a Kryptonian"

Stargirl takes place on it's own earth completely separate from the rest.

Legends of Tomorrow got worse and for the last several seasons has barely recognized that they are a DC show. It's just Sarah Lance, Constantine and co getting in time travel shenanigans.

Batwoman is shit, and lost all chance of recovering when the titular star didn't want to be Batwoman after 1 season.

And Arrow's spin off that had a backdoor pilot air as the penultimate episode didn't get picked up

.Apparently Flash's next season is starting with a 5 episode arc with guest stars from other shows to try and pick things back together, but the quality on these shows have really fallen off.

S&L and Stargirl are the only ones I'm keeping up with at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

I believe the Supergirl reference was ditched for time but they have referenced Crisis and Diggle was a guest star for an episode. COVID has made it hard to coordinate.

Personally, I think the only series to suffer Post-Crisis is The Flash. The ideas are solid but it feels like they're just really wiped out. Gustin is focusing on being a dad and Patton has been having health issues. I like the new characters but it just feels lile the crew is exhausted.

Legends is off being utterly insane and I love it for that. I can never guess what is going to happen next and it really sets itself a part from the other series well.

Batwoman has had some nice teeth in the second season. Not as sharp as I'd want but also not lame. It almost feels like it has a strong progressive messaging.

I...am a full season behind on Supergirl. Whoops. Hope Nia gets to join another series when it ends, at least.
    She/Her
    Want to be a girl? Click here!
    What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

At this point with Marvel I just want to see Spiderman and the last Guardians film, and I think I'm done.
    What, not even Black Panther 2? Or Ms. Marvel?

I do think Marvel needs to pull back a little, though. Things are more exciting when there's less of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Incidentally, this dropped today

Was not expecting that tone. And a Steve Rogers musical is just too good.
    Wasn't expecting that tone either. But I'll give it a try. And if there's a Steve Rogers musical (which looks hilarious) it had BETTER have a song in the show written by Alan Menken. I mean, he wrote the USO song in The First Avenger!

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    What, not even Black Panther 2? Or Ms. Marvel?
    Different between "want to see" and "will likely end up seeing anyway."

First Captain Marvel didn't do anything for me, nor her parts in Endgame, and during Wandavision Monica didn't do anything for me either. So basically counting on Kamala to elevate it and at that point I just don't know. Maybe her own series or trailers will convince me.

And for Panther, I'll still see it and hope its good, but I'm not anticipating it without Boseman or how they're going to work around that. I can't think of any good way to remove T'Challa without at least some footage to work with. I really liked the first movie, its one of my favorite Marvel movies, but even with all the talent brought back together I have a hard time seeing that working in any way that doesn't feel wrong. They going to have a guy in a CGI catsuit that does cool stuff in the first ten minutes and then dies heroically? Or are they going to give him cancer that Wakanda super science can't cure and die off screen? I just... that one's rough.

Even Spiderman is mostly for completion at this point. I like Holland as Peter but live action Spiderverse dragging in old versions of the villains from other lesser movies isn't nearly as exciting for me as it is for others, given I didn't particularly like the Raimi films and never even saw the second Amazing film.

Guardians is the only one I've been actively looking forward to. And even that got so mucked up by Infinity War that I'm not sure what to think of that.

Thor and Dr. Strange are... there. I'm sure they'll be fine, but nothing announced to excite me on those yet.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

First Captain Marvel didn't do anything for me, nor her parts in Endgame, and during Wandavision Monica didn't do anything for me either. So basically counting on Kamala to elevate it and at that point I just don't know. Maybe her own series or trailers will convince me.
    But Kamala IS getting her own series:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel_(TV_series)

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    But Kamala IS getting her own series:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel_(TV_series)
    I know. That's why I said maybe her series would convince me.

I'd completely forgotten the Hawkeye show was a thing, and Miss Marvel is this year as well? In that case its more like 35+ hours to be caught up on everything MCU in 2021. Wow. And thats without Venom, or any other Superhero stuff at all.

I love the tv series. I don't watch traditional tv at all, so I typically find a new anime to watch when there's not a good show streaming. Marvel has made it so there's something to look forward to almost every Wednesday or Thursday. I would agree that there are too many movies coming, but I have no complaint about the shows, even if they aren't the best thing ever.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

In general, I think it was a smart move to expand to tv shows now, because it allowed them to experiment a bit, and succesfully so for the most part. And I think around 3 movies and 2-3 Disney plus shows a year would probably work fine for most fans, as long as the quality is good. Especially because the shows usually only have a handful of episodes. It really doesn't take that long to watch all of Loki in comparison to, say, one season of Arrow.

Also, putting everything on hold for a year because of Covid will actually profit Marvel in the long run. The long break betwenn Far from Home and Wandavision helped to rejuvenate my interest in the MCU, at least.

Btw, am I the only one who is really looking forward to Ant-Man 3? I feel like the first two movies are pretty underappreciated. I mean, they are pretty inconsequential, low-stakes films for the most part, but they are a ton of fun. I love the cast and all the crazy shrinking antics they get to play around with.

Even if the seasons are comparatively short, watching all of Loki is still much long than your standard movie, it just doesn't feel like as big a commitment because of being spread out. Its still an increase in time demanded for MCU alone, compared to prior years.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post

Btw, am I the only one who is really looking forward to Ant-Man 3? I feel like the first two movies are pretty underappreciated. I mean, they are pretty inconsequential, low-stakes films for the most part, but they are a ton of fun. I love the cast and all the crazy shrinking antics they get to play around with.
    I liked the first one well enough, but the second one fell really flat for me due to a lack of a strong antagonist, or just strong main conflict. In both cases, I just don't think they ever really made me care about Scott; he seemed nice and all, but any emotional investment I had was purely surface level. And I'm saying that as someone with a young daughter, I was the easiest target possible for mining empathy for this guy, but the movies never went for it. Ultimately, I get the appeal of being lower-stakes, but I wish it was just at the logistical level, instead of also the emotional. Ant Man 2 in particular felt kinda...filler-y. Not in the sense that it "didn't matter in the long run" but in the sense that it felt kinda weightless all-round.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Even if the seasons are comparatively short, watching all of Loki is still much long than your standard movie, it just doesn't feel like as big a commitment because of being spread out. Its still an increase in time demanded for MCU alone, compared to prior years.
    It's a different type of investment, though. I don't have to schedule 2 hours, drive to the nearest theatre, buy popcorn, and come back. I watch every episode during the time I would probably be watching any other thing for the week and with the reasonable price of Disney Plus, i pay less than I would have to see a movie (or 2) in theatres.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    It's a different type of investment, though. I don't have to schedule 2 hours, drive to the nearest theatre, buy popcorn, and come back. I watch every episode during the time I would probably be watching any other thing for the week and with the reasonable price of Disney Plus, i pay less than I would have to see a movie (or 2) in theatres.
    But apart from new releases in theatres, the time invested in an "at home MCU experience" is still competing with...pretty much any TV series or movie in existence available for streaming. It may just be me, but I watch far more stuff at home, even moreso over the last few years. But even if you say that one MCU TV show is roughly equivalent to one theatrical experience time-wise, then that means marking time equivalent to 9 theatrical MCU experiences this year. I'm not going to tell you how you should/should not spend your free time, just that the time requirement to watch MCU in 2021 rather than "any other thing" is for me, quite steep.

It all just depends on how much you're enjoying something. I've spent countless hours (and money) on One Piece and Doctor Who, and, yes, a large portion of the MCU. If it's worth it to you, then you'll find time to watch it all, but if not that's fine too.

Thats true, and my dismay at the volume of MCU content comes from a place of being already fatigued at the franchise, but I do think theres also value in diversifying ones media fandom habits a bit. Like, if I was still big into the MCU, their increased output would mean I would have to give up/ not pursue an equivalent amount of non-MCU things to make room, and thats just kind of a shame...but of course that again comes from the perspective of someone whos already happy watching a ton of other stuff, and wouldn't want to give those things up.

But apart from new releases in theatres, the time invested in an "at home MCU experience" is still competing with...pretty much any TV series or movie in existence available for streaming. It may just be me, but I watch far more stuff at home, even moreso over the last few years. But even if you say that one MCU TV show is roughly equivalent to one theatrical experience time-wise, then that means marking time equivalent to 9 theatrical MCU experiences this year. I'm not going to tell you how you should/should not spend your free time, just that the time requirement to watch MCU in 2021 rather than "any other thing" is for me, quite steep.
    I'm only trying to give my experience, but the series are more compelling for me than the slate of movies coming up. They aren't really competing with other shows because the way I consume media has changed so drastically in the last decade and I'm almost completely divorced from the typical tv schedule. Essentially if there's 1.5 (marvel) shows out a season, I'm committing less than an hour a week to watching it. It's the easiest choice of the week because I'm betting on Marvel instead of a new show I might not like.
    Last edited by andre; September 14th, 2021 at 12:41 PM.

I think what I like best about this Hawkeye trailer is that it looks like Jeremy Renner is having fun. And isn't that all we want from an actor in the MCU?

I'd completely forgotten the Hawkeye show was a thing, and Miss Marvel is this year as well?
    Miss Marvel has been delayed to 2022

Thats true, and my dismay at the volume of MCU content comes from a place of being already fatigued at the franchise, but I do think theres also value in diversifying ones media fandom habits a bit. Like, if I was still big into the MCU, their increased output would mean I would have to give up/ not pursue an equivalent amount of non-MCU things to make room, and thats just kind of a shame...but of course that again comes from the perspective of someone whos already happy watching a ton of other stuff, and wouldn't want to give those things up.
    How much time you lose in watching the shows seem overblown. I assume most people that watch the loki show once a week just wouldnt have bothered with another show if it didnt exist. Also its like one hour a week I feel if you want to diversify you still can.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information