+ Reply to Thread
Page 477 of 593 FirstFirst ... 377 427 467 475 476 477 478 479 487 527 577 ... LastLast
Results 9,521 to 9,540 of 11853

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

Avengers: Age of Ultron felt like a slightly improved version of Iron Man 3. The film was a blast throughout and I really enjoyed it, but wasn't able to handle all its plot elements and tie them together well.

Spoiler:
    What particularly stood out about AOU was its respite scenes and the interactions that came from them. Nick Fury's speech, Cap and Iron Man chopping wood, heck even the "monster" talk between Bruce and Black Widow even though their romance was the most unnecessary part of the movie. Hawkeye's portrayal here was fantastic given his plain role in the previous film. On the flip side, the action continued to be consistently good; that panning shot of the Sokovia fight is burned into my memory for good, although I'm not a fan of the Avengers fighting another generic army in the climax.

The biggest reason for a lot of the film's plot becoming a mess is imo the beginning of the movie. It feels like Ultron just...happens. Yeah, Tony was influenced to make him because of Scarlet Witch's influence, but that was more minor than it should have been. Scarlet Witch facilitated some of the strongest character moments of the film, and these moments are what drive the struggle over the concept of Ultron and AI, but it doesn't feel like they're front and center when they really should be. We need more than just an illusion to understand Tony's drive to protect everyone. I really like Cap's weakness of needing to be a perpetual war machine, but I don't feel like it was touched on enough to give him depth and add legitimacy to Tony's quest for AI. When Vision is born it just feels like Tony got lucky with the AI this time, and he winds up becoming a mostly frivolous character except for his final scene with Ultron. And on the flip side, Scarlet Witch's motivations were also really brief and generic; I felt like the film portrayed her and Quicksilver like they were established characters that we should know already. (Even though they kinda just...turn to the good side pretty easily and then fade a little into the background)

So yeah, this muddled maze of motivations creates a plot that's a bit all over the place and doesn't always feel like it builds up to something. I really wanna like Ultron, I think he could pull off straight up hammy evil, but the elements that went into creating him caused his presence to be weakened. He feels like an afterthought during the climax, which unlike the first movie doesn't work because he's the one driving it. His plot as a whole takes an unnecessarily long time to figure out, even though it's simple and easy to understand, which gives the movie some strange beats. You have elements that feel rehashed, like Hulk going berserk and the villains just trying to sabotage the Avengers in general, and they just don't connect well with any new story the movie is trying to tell.

Whatever the case, when Ultron does unleash his ultimate plan, it hardly even feels that serious outside of one or two confirmations about its apocalyptic potential. Tony and the Avengers come up with a plan pretty easily and it felt pretty obvious that Sokovia was going to be evacuated and safely destroyed.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    Ant-Man and Hawkeye haven't shown up in any of the trailers or on that poster, either, right? Ant-Man could technically actually be there and just be in tiny mode, but Hawkeye's just completely absent.
    *squints* I don't see him.

Poor Vision though is shoved way in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    *squints* I don't see him.

Poor Vision though is shoved way in the back.
    And then you have Rhodey with his "Why am I here?" look.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    And then you have Rhodey with his "Why am I here?" look.
    Eh, you could maybe get a good gag out of Rhodey and Sam liking Wakanda's example of black excellence or wishing they could switch to Black Panther's faction or something.

That is all I expect from them though. The most they can contribute to these two new Avengers movies are dying or having co-op moves with more the famous heroes.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    Ant-Man and Hawkeye haven't shown up in any of the trailers or on that poster, either, right? Ant-Man could technically actually be there and just be in tiny mode, but Hawkeye's just completely absent.

I'm hoping this means that they're doing something important enough that it's not being shown to avoid spoilers, rather than just getting shafted to super minor roles, but who knows. Though I have read that Hawkeye is back with his family at the beginning, at least, rather than being on the run like most of the other ex-Avengers. Either way, the absence of one of the original six Avengers from all advertising and even from the poster is a bit of a bummer, even though admittedly Hawkeye, while I do like him, is my least favorite of the originals.
    Ant-Man is probably busy doing stuff for his movie. I'm not surprised we don't see him.

But Hawkeye is in the poster, he just got cropped out.

Spoiler:

We know he broke his arm in production. So he's somewhere. It just seems suspicious.

Buuttt big spoiler?
    Spoiler:
    Apparently he seems to be dressed partially as Ronin.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Spoiler:
    Ahh, yes. Nothing pays homage to the ancient mercenary-warriors of long past like some white guy named Clint taking up the name

The Last Ronin starring Jeremy Renner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Yes! So happy to have a new trailer.

I'm surprised they referenced THAT scene from the Infinity Gauntlet comic. This is going to be wild.
    I mean why not? They will never kill everybody in the movieverse anyway.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Either Hawkeye does something big worth hiding in infinity war, or he plays a bigger part in avengers 4.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

I thought they had confirmed that someone was gonna die. Hence why I said Robert Downey Jr's character might die

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

One of the two big ones, cap and iron man, will definitely bite the dust.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    I mean why not? They will never kill everybody in the movieverse anyway.
    Either Hawkeye does something big worth hiding in infinity war, or he plays a bigger part in avengers 4.
    Definitely is looking for some artifacts or tech that will lead him to the Soul Stone, thus, to the outerspace. To revive Quicksilver ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by I♥Taeyeon View Post
    Definitely is looking for some artifacts or tech that will lead him to the Soul Stone, thus, to the outerspace. To revive Quicksilver ofc.
    No no no, they are clearly going to revive Yensid.
    FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Someone had to say it.

I assume the half universe is a place where everything is in halves
    Which is odd because you'd think that would hold to the number of Infinity Stones but rather than only 3, we see 4 of them in the trailers. So it seems like that pretty important number of 6 stones isn't going to play a part in what was originally going to be the first half of a two-film epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Someone had to say it.

I assume the half universe is a place where everything is in halves
    Which is odd because you'd think that would hold to the number of Infinity Stones but rather than only 3, we see 4 of them in the trailers. So it seems like that pretty important number of 6 stones being divided in half for this movie isn't going to play a part in what was originally going to be the first half of a two-film epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Avengers: Age of Ultron felt like a slightly improved version of Iron Man 3. The film was a blast throughout and I really enjoyed it, but wasn't able to handle all its plot elements and tie them together well.

What particularly stood out about AOU was its respite scenes and the interactions that came from them. Nick Fury's speech, Cap and Iron Man chopping wood, heck even the "monster" talk between Bruce and Black Widow even though their romance was the most unnecessary part of the movie. Hawkeye's portrayal here was fantastic given his plain role in the previous film. On the flip side, the action continued to be consistently good; that panning shot of the Sokovia fight is burned into my memory for good, although I'm not a fan of the Avengers fighting another generic army in the climax.
    That's why it would have been more fun to have kept some of Tony's other suits around, for variety.

The biggest reason for a lot of the film's plot becoming a mess is imo the beginning of the movie. It feels like Ultron just...happens. Yeah, Tony was influenced to make him because of Scarlet Witch's influence, but that was more minor than it should have been. Scarlet Witch facilitated some of the strongest character moments of the film, and these moments are what drive the struggle over the concept of Ultron and AI, but it doesn't feel like they're front and center when they really should be. We need more than just an illusion to understand Tony's drive to protect everyone. I really like Cap's weakness of needing to be a perpetual war machine, but I don't feel like it was touched on enough to give him depth and add legitimacy to Tony's quest for AI. When Vision is born it just feels like Tony got lucky with the AI this time, and he winds up becoming a mostly frivolous character except for his final scene with Ultron. And on the flip side, Scarlet Witch's motivations were also really brief and generic; I felt like the film portrayed her and Quicksilver like they were established characters that we should know already. (Even though they kinda just...turn to the good side pretty easily and then fade a little into the background)
    Completely agree. Would have been nice to have started with a few scenes like Steve dropping in to Tony's place and letting him know that his parents' deaths were at the hands of HYDRA, giving Tony a good excuse to get back into being Iron Man despite his promise to Pepper. That would be a good start to a downward spiral in which he continually makes all the wrong decisions that follow from that, and perhaps even a little resentment towards Steve for getting him back in the game. But for character development, there just needed to be more time. If they split this into two films, with the first emphasizing the downfall of HYDRA and the development of what would start out as a child-like Ultron persona into the cold-blooded killer (even better if Tony, trying to act as a father figure and bond with his 'son', fails to explain how to save humanity when it's actively destroying itself, and attempting to figure it out on his own drives Ultron insane). Then the romance between Banner and Romanoff would be able to grow more organically, the twins would have more backstory to flesh out (Whedon didn't really get a chance to show, not tell, about what happened to them with the incident that killed their parents and trap them. Would MUCH rather have seen two frightened children going through that to emphasize the pain and pathos and really be sympathetic with them rather than just looking at them as brats.)

So yeah, this muddled maze of motivations creates a plot that's a bit all over the place and doesn't always feel like it builds up to something. I really wanna like Ultron, I think he could pull off straight up hammy evil, but the elements that went into creating him caused his presence to be weakened. He feels like an afterthought during the climax, which unlike the first movie doesn't work because he's the one driving it. His plot as a whole takes an unnecessarily long time to figure out, even though it's simple and easy to understand, which gives the movie some strange beats. You have elements that feel rehashed, like Hulk going berserk and the villains just trying to sabotage the Avengers in general, and they just don't connect well with any new story the movie is trying to tell.

Whatever the case, when Ultron does unleash his ultimate plan, it hardly even feels that serious outside of one or two confirmations about its apocalyptic potential. Tony and the Avengers come up with a plan pretty easily and it felt pretty obvious that Sokovia was going to be evacuated and safely destroyed.
    If they went with more of an unhinged Ultron, yes, that could have worked. But instead he turns instantly into a Tony-hating-and-resenting mirror of guy with no reason behind it. Huge wasted opportunity but again, 90% of those problems were solvable by simply splitting it up into two films to give everything the time it needed. In fact, how interesting would that have been for a marketing campaign to have Avengers 2 be split into two films, and the excited speculation that Avengers 3 would be so epic it would be split into three films? I'm sure they could have managed that if they didn't abandon the Inhumans movie to that sub-par TV show.

Stranger in a Strange Land lr-hr-rh's Avatar

Cool Avengers postery thing (link is to source):

https://twitter.com/Bosslogic/status/975433568217264128
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Infinity war spoiler (kind of)
    Spoiler:
    Am I the only one upset by supergaint not being in this movie? I mean I can understand it, I guess. They already have a few blue aliens, there's already a ton of characters in this movie and her powers are already taken by other members of the black order........ but still I feel a little sad she won't be in it

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

What a time we live in where a Black Panther-film makes almost twice the money of a Justice League-film.
    10 year old me would've never believed that.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Was that Psylocke?

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Pretty strange how Thanos only has two infinity gems attached to the gauntlet in all released footage so far, bet he already has more in some of those scenes, they are just removed with cgi like Thor's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Pretty strange how Thanos only has two infinity gems attached to the gauntlet in all released footage so far, bet he already has more in some of those scenes, they are just removed with cgi like Thor's eye.
    Well it is a two part movie. Maybe he doesn't have all 5 until then.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information