+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 861: ''The Cake Sinks?! Sanji & Bege's Battle For Escape''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 861: ''The Cake Sinks?! Sanji & Bege's Battle For Escape''

Godspeed.

Title: ''The Cake Sinks?! Sanji & Bege's Battle For Escape''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 887-888
    Episode Director: Katsumi Tokoro (****)
    Animation Director: Shigefumi Shingaki (**1/2)
    Time: 7:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 861: ''The Cake Sinks?! Sanji & Bege's Battle For Escape''

Luffy VS Katakuri - Episode 861: https://yadi.sk/i/EK3w7Z0b8Xno2g

One Piece Episode 862 Preview

Is dat some sulong sakuga, they're going all out for the one scene that matters til they rek Big Mom in a couple episodes
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    til they rek Big Mom in a couple episodes
    [citation needed]

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Funnily enough Tokoro also directed episode 849 where Pedro died so he's going two-for-two on this arc. Since we thus have a point of comparison this one was not as well, or maybe I should say lavishly, directed but that's not a surprise given how much more important and far-reaching Pedro's sacrifice was. This episode was more of a reversion to the mean and not among some of the best episodes that Tokoro's directed but it was effective and I think a lot of that hinged on Pound's voice actor being able to nail the character's earnest dopiness for tragicomic effect here. On a lighter note Oven getting run over was hysterical. That was the kind of scene that you would normally think Toei would stretch out a bit, like showing him trying to catch the treads before slowly getting ground under, but that quick smash cut like the manga was extra hilarious in animated form; bonus points for cutting off the music too!

Artistically this episode was kind of a mess. It never veered into outright bad territory but you could tell that it was a bit of a Frankenstein's monster of different art styles. The key animator credits are a bit of a hodgepodge (you can see Shingaki, Hisada, Kimitaka Ito, and Yong-ce Tu on there along with a few people from TAP) so they needed to have a bunch of different people from all over chip in to get this thing out the door.

Next week though! Shimanuki being the animation director for such an anticipated episode elicits an involuntary nervous collar tug but the preview looks great and those in the know have said that there will be nothing to worry about so it looks like the episode director managed to assemble a good team. From what little is shown of it looks like they've nailed how Super Sulong 3 Blanco should look in color. Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Crossword; November 11th, 2018 at 12:23 AM.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Oven getting run over made me laugh more than it should have.
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; November 11th, 2018 at 03:38 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Really liked the episode. Tokoro did a great job and I can't see it being done better. While Pedro's death, which was done by Tokoro too, was done better, I don't think it's in any way Tokoro's fault, actually, I'm pretty glad he was able to outdo himself and make such a minor character go like this. After all, Pound was a very minor character that had a very low screen time, with little to no emotional connection with the audience, as well as a very tangential relation with the strawhats, also because of that, we couldn't get to see anybody's reaction regarding his farewell, so we also couldn't emotionally connect with the people affected by this. And since all the odds were against Tokoro, I must applaud him for pulling this off very well.
    I also liked how he nailed the nightime atmosphere, lately I noticed, that apart from Komaki, none of the directors deviate that much from the standard color scheme to depict the atmosphere, thankfully Tokoro didn't disappoint in that regard, and judging from the preview, Sato is managing the colors very well as well.
    Shimanuki handling such an important episode is just worrisome.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Haven't been watching the anime weekly since August thanks to being busy/lazy, but I finally caught up! Right on time for one of my favorite scenes. I have to say, I've really liked the pacing of most of the past few episodes, the anime has actually felt exciting which made it a good binge.

Pound's sacrifice messes me up, Oda really nailed the emotion of that scene and the anime team did a good job of adapting it. The episode started off pretty lackluster but really kicked off once Oven got run over; I was sure the anime would mess it up but they nailed it and it was hilarious. Then I wasn't sure how good the Pound scenes would be until the flashbacks came in. The anime did a masterful job of expanding those one-panel flashbacks from the chapter and capturing their tone without making them excessive at all, and that's what sold me on it. Nice job.

Spoiler:

Man, next episode hype! Hope the animation is great

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information