+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 921: Shutenmaru

Default Re: Chapter 921: Shutenmaru

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    We've known that Wano is under the control of Kaido and the shogun for ages now. Kaido having a title doesn't really change anything.
    I think him being a part of Wano is different than him being a simple invader and that if he is such an integral part of Wano it should have been hinted.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    One Wano or Kaido became a big thing.
    Well it became a big thing in the Zou arc, which is the same arc where it was hinted at, so not seeing the issue here?

Back in Zou, they said that him and his crew occupy Wano. We recently got new context that Momo and co. time traveled 20 years into the future. So you then go back to that arc, put 2 and 2 together and realize that Kaido has been around for quite some time. This chapter taking the time to further clarify his status isn't changing much here that we couldn't already more or less figure out.

This is not something Oda needed the Marines or anyone to casually state years in advance in my opinion, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Default Re: Chapter 921: Shuternmaru

Because of Shuternmaru‘s prowess some assume that Oden was really strong.
    Kyros followed Riku because of his leadership? Kindness? Valour? Not because of his strength. It could be the same here. Maybe Shuternmaru is the strongest of the samurais but he wasn’t 20 years ago.
    A lot of things happen in 20 years and people change, and maybe because of that it’s possible that you wouldn’t recognize someone you didn’t know very well and who has the exact same apearence

I remembered that the game Runescape had a Japanese sort themed dungeon released and the final boss was called Seiryuu

Seiryuu=青竜
    blue dragon (an auspicious creature in Chinese mythology)
    Azure Dragon (god said to rule over the eastern heavens)

These are the definitions from the dictionary. Feel free to google 青龍

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I think him being a part of Wano is different than him being a simple invader and that if he is such an integral part of Wano it should have been hinted.
    Usually, when someone takes over a country, they declare themselves king.

Purely coincidence

We've known that Wano is under the control of Kaido and the shogun for ages now. Kaido having a title doesn't really change anything.
    It also matches Japan, as it had an Emperor and a Shogun. Apparently Kaido fits the bill of the Emperor in more ways than his Yonkou title.

Quote Originally Posted by pRopaaNS View Post
    What are the other fiction stories that have dragons as badass and cool characters? Mythical zoan DFs is an excusive to One Piece. Only relatively recently we saw the first actual dragon apearing in OP world. One might as well say that the story was built up this way because Kaidou was planned to be dragon zoan all along. So you mean that Oda did a bad job by throwing in too many hints foreshadowing that he's going to be dragon?
    I mean what I said. I stated my opinion on the matter, you wanted me to explain it better, I did it and said I don't want to spend my time here ruminating this subject. I will not waste my time defending my opinion and ruin my fun of the chapter getting on a petty argument, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    Shutenmaru gets overshadowed in his own chapter.
    To be fair, this was also the chapter where all the Strawhats are making plans... Then Suddenly their plans don’t mean shit

Quote Originally Posted by Tonoloto View Post
    Because of Shuternmaru‘s prowess some assume that Oden was really strong.
    Kyros followed Riku because of his leadership? Kindness? Valour? Not because of his strength. It could be the same here. Maybe Shuternmaru is the strongest of the samurais but he wasn’t 20 years ago.
    A lot of things happen in 20 years and people change, and maybe because of that it’s possible that you wouldn’t recognize someone you didn’t know very well and who has the exact same apearence
    You're overthinking it. The last chapter told us that Oden defeated Ashura Douji back in the day, who is clearly Shutenmaru.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    You're overthinking it. The last chapter told us that Oden defeated Ashura Douji back in the day, who is clearly Shutenmaru.
    Sanji is now a very strong character who was easily beated by Zeff 3? 4? Years ago
    Would Zeff stand a chance against Jack? Doflamingo? Mr2? Arlong?

Quote Originally Posted by ImmaIvanoM View Post
    Then Suddenly their plans don’t mean shit
    ?
    In what way? They can still follow the plan.

Purely coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by Tonoloto View Post
    Sanji is now a very strong character who was easily beated by Zeff 3? 4? Years ago
    Would Zeff stand a chance against Jack? Doflamingo? Mr2? Arlong?
    Yea, because that's clearly the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I mean what I said. I stated my opinion on the matter, you wanted me to explain it better, I did it and said I don't want to spend my time here ruminating this subject. I will not waste my time defending my opinion and ruin my fun of the chapter getting on a petty argument, sorry.
    Thanks for conversation.

I hope Oda doesn't just throw us straight into full scale war in the coming chapters, I was really digging the covert theme of Wano up until this point, and this chapter has me worried.

I figure Oda is just trying to display Kaido's power and set him up as the big baddie that we already knew he was.

As for the rest of the chapter.... it was, ok I guess? The pacing was pretty shoddy, and some panels felt incredibly redundant and empty (Ie. "rarr rarr I'm going to kill her now" or "oh noo they started to fight, what a high level duel!"). Overall it was an ok chapter with an absolute bombshell ending. I do worry that Oda is once again falling into the trap of introducing way, way too many characters into an arc. It's been a recurring issue ever since, I'd say, Marineford, that the amount of character introductions becomes so saturated that he's unable to give them all sufficient screen time, and it ends up being a big unsatisfying mess.

I have faith in Oda to do this arc justice considering how long he's been wanting to draw it for, and I really hope my worries are null and void.

This was the first time, in a lont time, that I've consistently genuinely laughed out loud reading a One Piece chapter. It was just absolutely hilarious. Ninjas continue to be badass, lol.

The joke with Nami's outfit. Luffy warning Sanji that Kiku was a trap. Brook just wanting panties on his head.Shutenmaru's desing. All great

The only one who didn't get assigned a job to do is Luffy because yeah that would just be a waste of time because the Emperor will do what an emperor wants.

I was actually excited to see Jack again. He sort of grew on me.

Kaidou's appearance basically turns up the dial for pacing in this arc.

Also is the woman with the tea house Kinemon's wife, O-tsuru? Coz now it makes sense why her tea house has a sign similar to the kozuki clan. Which is actually pretty ballsy of her tbh.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Luffy warning Sanji that Kiku was a trap.
    Really? People are still going on about this?

Also is the woman with the tea house Kinemon's wife, O-tsuru? Coz now it makes sense why her tea house has a sign similar to the kozuki clan. Which is actually pretty ballsy of her tbh.
    Yes, that is her.

Man, evil Shenron Kaido looks amazing

At the same time I hope that at some point Kaido looked a bit more like his silhouette in Garp's explanation

He looked so darn cool and mysterious

Might be another Kizaru and his vice admiral hat situation
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

?
    In what way? They can still follow the plan.
    Jack and Kaidou are on to them right?... I guess they’ve been distracted by thinking Shutenmaru has some affiliation with Luffy so the story might go in the direction of this “mix up” but Kin’emon already said that secrecy is a big deal. Last chapter all we thought was “Nah, it’ll just be a calamity involved” but boy, the big boss himself is here. So right now, the only thing standing in the way of this plan failing, is this “mix up” with Shutenmaru lasting a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Really? People are still going on about this?
    Don't you think so though?

I mean, why would luffy say" You know Sanji, Kiku is really strong".

Like what does her being strong have to do with Sanji perving on her? The worse answer to that question is that Luffy thinks that its ok to perv on "weak" women and not "strong" women.

I don't know. Whats your take on that panel?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    I mean, why would luffy say" You know Sanji, Kiku is really strong".
    She won't be impressed by Sanji because she's super strong herself
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    I hope Oda doesn't just throw us straight into full scale war in the coming chapters, I was really digging the covert theme of Wano up until this point, and this chapter has me worried.

I figure Oda is just trying to display Kaido's power and set him up as the big baddie that we already knew he was.

As for the rest of the chapter.... it was, ok I guess? The pacing was pretty shoddy, and some panels felt incredibly redundant and empty (Ie. "rarr rarr I'm going to kill her now" or "oh noo they started to fight, what a high level duel!"). Overall it was an ok chapter with an absolute bombshell ending. I do worry that Oda is once again falling into the trap of introducing way, way too many characters into an arc. It's been a recurring issue ever since, I'd say, Marineford, that the amount of character introductions becomes so saturated that he's unable to give them all sufficient screen time, and it ends up being a big unsatisfying mess.

I have faith in Oda to do this arc justice considering how long he's been wanting to draw it for, and I really hope my worries are null and void.
    Don't worry. Shit won't escalate into a full on war any time soon. The other big players(Marines, Marco, BB crew, Revos, CP-0, BM crew) all have to make their way to Wano first.

As for the characters. Have faith. Wano is basically the Penultimate arc of the series, so u better believe Oda has all the characters and players locked down tight.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla View Post
    If he doesn't quit perving then she'll batter him?

I thought that was the obvious implication
    Doesn't Nami do that all the time though?

and even if its concern that Kiku has too much strength she won't be able to control the damage. Luffy has to trust that Sanji can take a hit from anyone whose strong, right?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla View Post
    She won't be impressed by Sanji because she's super strong herself
    eh, I guess. Still doesn't make sense coming from Luffy. It would make perfect sense if it came from Brook though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information