+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 921: Shutenmaru

Default Re: Chapter 921: Shutenmaru

Oden really had a bunch of strong underlings. That's like the third of them that can tango with Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post

Kaido being the king of Wano is like the Germa being a big deal. I don't buy it because it feels like something that should have been hinted at long ago.
    Well, historically there have always been both a shogun and an emperor in Japan (although who was more important has often changed). So its not really that out of the blue.

Purely coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Too much for every Calamity be a Katakuri, huh?

What did you wanted to say ?

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Kaido being the king of Wano is like the Germa being a big deal. I don't buy it because it feels like something that should have been hinted at long ago. It's even worse because you can sau the Vinsmokes were legends a long time ago and only matter to a few. But Kaido isn't a random guy. He is an emperor we have been hearing about for some time. Same thing with Wano. They have such disticnt identity that I can't help but call bullshit on them being so tied together. I mean Kaido is the king of a country and the marines don't know about it or never hinted it? Bullshit.
    Define "long ago?"

Why is this even something the Marines need to hint at? What does him being the king really change here? Since the Zou arc, we already knew that Kaido occupied Wano. It's pretty predictable that said occupation would place him in a leadership role of sorts, whether he had to take it by force or otherwise.

And the Marines clearly know that Kaido resides in Wano. What they don't know is how strong the country's forces are, which makes sense due to the fact that the isolationism of the country prevents the natives from leaving, as well as having random people entering the country freely. Also the weather and such surrounding Wano makes it difficult for them to just come whenever they want. The Marines largely leave the Yonko alone, mainly intervening when the possibility of an alliance arises.

Kishishi. Yo. Ho. Ho. BekaDidAct's Avatar

So, Absalom will make the ship sailing towards Onigashima invisible?

Hidden:

Next stop: 300 chapter backstory for our Lord and Savior Gecko Moria!

Moria the Great

ooooooh..BekaDidAct!!

Getting really fed up with Oda's depiction of Sanji in this chapter. Previously, he used to have his gag once every couple of chapters, now it's in every panel he's in, it's currently overshadowing every other aspect of his personality, which doesn't sit well with me.
    Kaido being a dragon was pretty much obvious, ever since Kaido was revealed to be Law's & Kinemon's target, since Kinemon repeatedly mentioned his apparent grudge against dragons in Punk Hazard.

Oden must have been quite the badass if he was able to gain the respect of so many strong characters. Jack...starting to think Fujitora singlehandedly dealt with him back then.

Year of Sanji, let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by Dranza View Post
    Oden must have been quite the badass if he was able to gain the respect of so many strong characters. Jack...starting to think Fujitora singlehandedly dealt with him back then.
    Poor Jack got hit with Worf effect again.

I think Jack can take a lot of punishment and keep coming back. Especially if he has his awakening controlled, unlike those ID jailers.

Doubt Ashura would have a real chance against him in a prolonged battle, being an old man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Dranza View Post

Oden was most likely as strong as likes of Katakuri or an Admiral.

Jack likely has his bounty because he is ruthless and kills many people on his way. He seemed to get turned on by prospect of gutting Zunisha or cutting it as he wants. He cut off arm and leg from top Minks etc. So he might be as strong as lets say Cracker but have higher bounty because of what he does to people(Cracker was rather careful as it seemed, Marines did not seen his true face yet they gave him over 800 mln bounty).

Jack still is impressive but at least Oda hyped some top Samurais with this weeks chapter.

Beside all of that this arc seems suprisingly straightforward.. Whole Cake Island was quite suprising at few moments and I remember how happy I was with it not ending after Wedding was wrecked.. Here we have plan, 2 weeks of wait and then finale. Sure there will be suprises but Oda certainly has set it up quite clear as it is now.

Maybe we will get back to Reverie ? So now some more build up of Wano, characters and history, then Kinemon and Co will get into getting ready for fire festival and then we move to Reverie for some time.
    Then again back to Wano and situation in it.. After Reverie marines might make a move on Kaido and Big Mom sending for example 2 Admirals to Wano, together with Vegapunks new weapons/ Pacifistas.

I like that Perona still gets thrown in with the ladies of the series. If we were looking at the most relevant ladies, you'd expect Carrot or Rebecca in her place there. If only Mihawk would finally get involved and bring her back into the main scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanErrorist View Post
    Why are you so mad? It's quite edging.

All I said was trying to say is that Oda based a powerful being on another powerful being. Is it so hard to get it into your tiny brain?

Oda has already had COUNTLESS of references to the DBZ series and for you to deny that is retarded.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Oda clearly said HIMSELF that he is inspired off of Dragon ball Z and has made references to the series many times, that's why I mentioned it.

The most recent one I can remember is the Leo Bazooka.
    That he made references in the past doesn't mean every tiny bit of resemblance to Dragon Ball is a reference. In this case the design of the dragon is so generic that it is hard to tell if it is one or not.

If Shuutenmaru is one of the 3 samurais then perhabs he doesn't look too bad for his age.

- Honest to god first thoughts: "I bet this colorspread will spawn a few figures. Let me see... Tashigi, boring as ever... and she definitely looks similar Kiku almost next to her. I'm kidding, I know it's Robin, but damn she and Kiku look the sa-oh, wait, it actually IS Kiku, Robin is on the other side of Nami. Damn, they look exactly the same character! It's ama-oh, wait, this is Hancock. And that was Robin after all... wow..."

- The flanderization is strong with Sanji. A bit too strong. I don't mind him being like that, but really every single panel and line he had on this chapter was about being a pervert. It is reminding me of how he was at early post-timeskip chapters, when this joke became too frequent to be anything but annoying.

- So much for Shutenmaru being a noble thief. Although I think it's very likely he is a former Kouzuki samurai who fell in desgrace after Oden's death, so there will probably be some reformation in his way.

- Jack is back!!! Aaaaand in all his non-glory... damn, I wish Oda would give this guy a chance to look properly good. He is even bleeding from his mouth from that cut, so you can tell it was more simply a flashy slash (also, notice one of his weapons was instantly destroyed by Shutenmaru).

- And Kaido. I knew it was vain hopes, but I still hoped he wouldn't have the Dragon DF because it just seemed like the laziest thing ever. Yet, it seems sometimes even Oda will fall for basic clichés. But, who knows, there is still a chance he is a real dragon with a humanoid fruit!?
    Anyways, regardless anything, that full dragon form is indeed badass as hell and I can only picture dragon!Kaido on a clouded sky, filled with lightning, clashing with Linlin in her "witch mode"
    Last edited by .access timeco.; October 19th, 2018 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    s And Kaido. I knew it was vain hopes, but I still hoped he wouldn't have the Dragon DF because it just seemed like the laziest thing ever. Yet, it seems sometimes even Oda will fall for basic clichés. But, who knows, there is still a chance he is a real dragon with a humanoid fruit!?
    Anyways, regardless anything, that full dragon form is indeed badass as hell and I can only picture dragon!Kaido on a clouded sky, filled with lightning, clashing with Linlin in her "witch mode"
    Why did it seem like laziest thing ever? I don't see how it makes sense.

Sees jack getting beat up, like Always, by shuten maru and sends him to take on even stronger force. Why don't you fly there yourself and get them, you oversized snake. Like this is not underestimation, it's plain stupid.

Sanji was 100% insufferable. I thnk he set a new record of being tremendously obnoxious in every.single.panel throughout the entire chapter. Has that ever happened before?

First half was still way too heavy on exposition, it was a bit of a slog to go through.

Second half is way more interesting. Wasn't expecting Jack of all people to be used as a Worf Effect for wonky looking bandit guy who just so happens to be insanely strong, but that was SO out of left field that it was by far the best part of the chapter.

And Kaido's appearance in the end, while really cool visually, doesn't feel earned and actually feels more like a cliffhanger just for the sake of a cliffhanger. Kaido appears all of a sudden through darkened skies to....repeat to Jack what he already knew and what he was trying to do already. Ok.

It would've been way more useful if he said "AND JACK. . .Could you please bring some eggs with you when you come back? I wanted to make an omelette and we're all outta eggs. Thanks!". At least that way it would have a purpose beyond "oh, and he's Kaido because. . .well, he's a dragon".

Not the best of chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by pRopaaNS View Post
    Why did it seem like laziest thing ever? I don't see how it makes sense.
    Dragons are a staple in fiction whenever you want to go super badass and cool. Even though there were many indications Kaido would have that ability, as some theorists had noticed before, I was still hoping Oda, with his penchant for not using obvious powers except when logias are involved, wouldn't give Kaido the #1 answer any fan would come to when asked to come up with a "badass zoan".
    But it is what it is. So having stated my opinion on the matter I would rather focus on enjoying what we have rather than ruminating on why I find it less than ideal.

I'm not immune to clichés, though, so as I said I do find the dragon form amazing regardless. And if it turns out Kaido is a real dragon and the humanoid form is the DF power, then the coolness factor goes way beyond the roof to the point I can't even bother (although Momo's SMILE would suggest this is not the case).
    Last edited by .access timeco.; October 19th, 2018 at 04:04 AM.

My guy Sanji is always the highlight of the chapter. The Year(s) of Sanji just keep rolling along!

edit: I also love the panel where Nami is smiling, imagining herself as a kunoichi.

Quote Originally Posted by game2005 View Post
    Point is Oda didn't necessarily see Shenron and decided he wanted to use an Asian dragon because of that
    Dragons are godly beings on Eastern folklore, so what better way than to base a powerful villain on one?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

He probably knows that a kingdom cannot stand if all it's people are oppressed and hate him, so the charade was necessary for its citizens to willingly and happily serve him. A cheerful nation is more powerful than an oppressed and sad one.
    That brings into question why he cares that the kingdom even stands... He is introduced as being all nihilistic and wanting the world to end... So why not just enslave everyone from the get go if all he cares about is Manpower... The existence of this flower Capital is really weird to me

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information