+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 857: ''Luffy Strikes Back - The Invincible Katakuri's Weakness!''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 857: ''Luffy Strikes Back - The Invincible Katakuri's Weakness!''

Next time you're asked what your weaknesses are during a job interview, say it's your sweet tooth.

Title: ''Luffy Strikes Back - The Invincible Katakuri's Weakness!''
    Chapters Covered: 884
    Episode Director: Yasunori Koyama (***1/2)
    Animation Director: Shuuichi Ito (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 857: ''Luffy Strikes Back - The Invincible Katakuri's Weakness!''

One Piece Episode 858 Preview

Well, this place here is quite empty because this was a very solid episode!

This episode was very well animated , which is a great continuation from last week's episode. Tu Yong-ce handled the entire part of the Luffy vs Katakuri by delivering more than 100 beautiful looking cuts! Now that's very impressive. There were a lot of blur effects used in this fight, but they were placed in such a way to add more speed and impact to certain scenes and let's not forget about the background animation which was a very welcome addition given the look of the mirror world.

Now speaking of direction, I'm a little conflicted. I'm glad that Koyama, who's a very competent episode director, has made a return in the series, but the thing is that he has a tendency to go a little bit too crazy with his filler ideas, especially when it comes to fights. In this episode, Koyama decided to make usage of the Culverin attack in this episode, which IMO should not have been included in the fight for snakey reasons (if you know what I mean). That reminds me of the episode he directed where he decided to include the King Kong Gun attack in the Cracker fight, an attack which also should not have seen the sunlight in that fight.

Nonetheless, it was a highly above average episode.
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; October 14th, 2018 at 03:06 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalDragon View Post
    Well, this place here is quite empty because this was a very solid episode!

This episode was very well animated , which is a great continuation from last week's episode. Tu Yong-ce handled the entire part of the Luffy vs Katakuri by delivering more than 100 beautiful looking cuts! Now that's very impressive. There were a lot of blur effects used in this fight, but they were placed in such a way to add more speed and impact to certain scenes and let's not forget about the background animation which was very welcome addition given the look of the mirror world.

Now speaking of direction, I'm a little conflicted. I'm glad that Koyama, who's a very competent episode director, has made a return in the series, but the thing is that he has a tendency to go a little bit too crazy with his filler ideas, especially when it comes to fights. In this episode, Koyama decided to make usage of the Culverin attack in this episode, which IMO should not have been included in the fight for snakey reasons (if you know what I mean). That reminds me of the episode he directed where he decided to include the King Kong Gun attack in the Cracker fight, an attack which also should not have seen the sunlight in that fight.

Nonetheless, it was a highly above average episode.
    Agree with you about Tu. His work on the fight was really impressive and extensive, and did a fantastic job of giving it a real sense of dynamism and motion thanks to the extensive background animation in the fight.

About the culverin addition, I'm thinking that may have been more a decision made by the script writer as opposed to the director, as storyline additions are usually made at the behest of the screenwriter as opposed to the director(who merely adapts the script).

I enjoyed the direction regardless. The music placement was spot on, and I enjoyed the seemingly continued presence of the use of colours as well as the use of comic panel action that was prevalent in Fukusawa's latest episode.

Intelligence Department, Novus Orbis Librarium

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalDragon View Post
    Totally agree with you that Culverin ABSOLUTELY SHOULD not have been shown in this part of the fight. What a very dumb move from the episode director.

Spoiler:
    Katakuri's first encounter with Culverin/Python was during the final fight with Snakeman Luffy, and this episode completely destroyed that vital detail.
    "Yes, I'm only bones, but that's because I have an interest... in dieting."

-Gentleman Skeleton Brook

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Spoiler:
    Well to be 100% accurate/pedantic the attack is Jet Culverin so that scene can be tweaked a bit to have Katakuri be more surprised at its increased speed.

Tu really ripped off his shirt this week and went ham, animating roughly a fourth of the episode by himself in only three weeks. He's really been throwing himself into his One Piece work. The return of Koyama and his very strong storyboarding is very appreciated too, and I see that the return of last week's split-screen+ panelling has been taken notice of. That shot of baby Lola and Chiffon was nightmare fuel though.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Intelligence Department, Novus Orbis Librarium

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Spoiler:
    Well to be 100% accurate/pedantic the attack is Jet Culverin so that scene can be tweaked a bit to have Katakuri be more surprised at its increased speed.
    Spoiler:
    You could say that, but still it would have been better if Katakuri never saw the move before the final fight. The impact would've been greater.

I really liked this episode btw, but my one gripe was how they made Katakuri let go of Luffy's stuck hand quite early prior to Power Mochi, making the launch of the attack feel slower. In the manga, Power/Strength Mochi was thrown almost instantaneously as soon as Katakuri lets go of Luffy's hand.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Sick_Fool; October 14th, 2018 at 11:50 AM.
    "Yes, I'm only bones, but that's because I have an interest... in dieting."

-Gentleman Skeleton Brook

Was this fight just as boring in the manga? Did I completely block those chapters out of my memory? Or was it more tolerable because it kept switching between the fight and the chase?
    It's nothing on the anime -- for once -- I just find this fight tedious. Katakuri's still my husbando and can eat this doughnut any day tho

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Was this fight just as boring in the manga? Did I completely block those chapters out of my memory? Or was it more tolerable because it kept switching between the fight and the chase?
    It's nothing on the anime -- for once -- I just find this fight tedious. Katakuri's still my husbando and can eat this doughnut any day tho
    I said something similar last week. It dragged in the manga, too, but the anime is worse because of added punch-for-punch filler. Not to mention twenty pages is stretched to twenty minutes. So yeah, definitely feels longer here. I almost wish they would’ve cut the ten or so episodes of fight before the mochi house. That’s where the fight finally gets good.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information