+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 853: ''The Green Room - Jimbei the Invincible Helmsman''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 853: ''The Green Room - Jimbei the Invincible Helmsman''

From now on this arc is Mad Mom: Ocean Road.

Title: ''The Green Room - Jimbei the Invincible Helmsman''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 880-881
    Episode Director: Yoshihiro Ueda (**1/2)
    Animation Director: Shigefumi Shingaki (**1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 853: ''The Green Room - Jimbei the Invincible Helmsman''

One Piece Episode 854 Preview

Yikes. This episode was definitely a step down from what we'd been getting this last month.

The animation was a fair bit choppier than it usually was, the storyboard really wasn't that interesting, the lighting and compositing I felt were very flat especially considering how good it has been over the last few episodes, and the direction really didn't do anything for me. Transitions also felt very awkward in places.

There really wasn't much that I could really say positively about this episode. Dennis' Cablao's scene was nice, but also felt uncharacteristically choppy, and was short lived. The only definite positive was Ichikawa's corrections on this episode, they were scattered throughout the episode, and were really nice. It elevated the episode from something that was poorly directed, animated and ugly, to being something that was poorly directed, animated but was pretty.

Not too hopeful for next episode personally, but I at least expect it to be better than this one, the NEP was OK, but I feel a lot of this batch may end up being a slog. Episode 856 can't come soon enough.

Yea the tsunami scene was definitely ruined. Feel like OST these days had been bad too.
    OPTC (JPN) FC: 223.189.439

I really hope the finale looks good at least.

I mean, the finale will almost definitely have the best staff on it. I would be amazed if they decided to give it to a secondary director.

The best part of the episode for me was hearing A Man's Battle again after so many years.

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Yep, weak-looking episode to come back on even though it was inevitable that we'd have to come down from the high of last month. Art was mostly okay IMO but the animation was fairly choppy, and not in a deliberately stylistic way outside the moments with Luffy and Katakuri at the start, and some odd visual direction choices like the green room initially looking like some kind of puke-colored interdimensional warp that obscured most of the picture. That effect could've been pulled off well but it would've taken a lot more effort than this episode was obviously willing to give.

I liked the tsunami homie saying, "Splash!" though, and the timing on Carrot's "You mean we're not going to die?!" line made me chuckle for some reason.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information