+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Chapter 917: The Treasure Ship of Provisions

Default Re: Chapter 917: The Treasure Ship of Provisions

Re: Saving people

Without a doubt a core tenet of the series. But boiling things down to their very basics (the TVTropes reductionist technique being used here) does just about nothing justice.

Most Zelda games are about exploring dungeons and collecting items. Why bother? It's been done dozens of times before. All Smash Bros. games are about Nintendo (and more, now) characters duking it out on stages. Why bother? Most Radiohead albums are a blend of art rock and electronic. Why bother?

It's because of the different coats of paint. It's still going to be the same car underneath. Boiling things down to their very basics lets you quickly (and erroneously) handwave these franchises or artists away quickly because you can't discern the details underneath. Now I'm not saying people shun these particular ones, that's quite rare actually, but you could.

So, focusing on the details underneath. The only real way to enjoy long-running franchises. Wano, if you boil it down, has a theme of saving the population from starvation and pollution. Okay, sure, that's some of it. But it also has a heavy theme of opening up the isolationist country and allowing new people and cultures to be brought in. It also has a heavy theme of defeating one of the absolute strongest beings in the series, an Emperor, and showing that the new generation is establishing itself and taking over the old generation. And moving away from themes, like has been said a lot of originality can be found in the designs of the Beast Pirates. Ever seen a guy with a lion mouth attached to his stomach that can spit fire? I haven't.

It's easy to reduce things to basics and take away all that sets it apart from being copy/paste. But if you do that, arcs that deviate from the formula, like Sabaody, Zou, Impel Down, Whole Cake Island, all get washed out along the way. And you miss all of the many other things to appreciate about arcs, just because one of the storylines include saving someone.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    I don't know why he abandoned them, they're still good terms to label characters outside of the manga itself.

Peace Main is Luffy, Shanks, etc. while iirc a Morgana is more BB, Arlong, etc.
    I think its a weak concept, peace pirates is pretty lame i hate the no death aspect of one piece personally. But clearly he conceptualized it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Characters
    Constantine Woe • Captain • Crewname N/A • Markswoman/Inventor• Bounty :23,000,000 • SD Earned : 2400 • Beli : 37,000,500 • L : Romulin
    Strength: 100 | Speed: 50 | Stamina: 42 | Accuracy: 50 | Fortune: 60

I would like to see Sanji and Co being shown next chapter.

Sanji will surely play big role in story where there is hunger problem in almost entire country. Sanjis anger might be very well fueled by hunger people in Wano feel, that would be extremely useful in his fight. Hell Anger attack instead of hell memories would be cool to see and Sanji might use Germa suit to help saving thousands of people from hunger.

If there is good motivation for Sanji to fight all out, beside saving his nakamas and family, hunger is next to non.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

if Sanji doesn't get a Calamity, at least give him a worst gen, I won't be taking anything lower.

He was fighting kinda balanced with Daifuku in cake island. So sanji this arc will get someone from kaidou's daifuku, kaidou's oven or BEST case scenario kaidou's perospero.

Supernovas will not be wasted as sanji's enemy this arc. Btw he should be at least placed in the worst generation next to bb and novas, if he missed the supernovas because oda cheated him out of a Bounty until after EL.

Daifuku was most likely like 500mln bounty in my opinion.

Sanji will get to fight someone as strong as Hawkings and barely win, then Expect that Oda will make him use that raid suit.. and he will tag team a Calamity with Jinbei for example. Fight showing Sanji being stronger than Jinbe when using that suit.

Then it can be discarded after the fight.

I wonder if we will see Judge and Co at end of this arc. I still want Pekoms with an eyepatch to join Strawhats..

of the Hundred Beasts The Laughing Man's Avatar

Do we have an early chapter again this week (tomorrow spoilers / Thursday chapter release)?

Sanji may get any level of antagonist in Wano, I mean, it's all arbitrary to Oda's decision. Before the time skip, Sanji was always the guy that didn't get many fights, but when Oda needed his "monster trio", Sanji would do his role. For instance, look at W7/EL: at the time many readers were speculating that Franky was stronger than Sanji... but no, Sanji was set up against Jyabura and Franky against Fukuro.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post
    Re: Saving people

Without a doubt a core tenet of the series. But boiling things down to their very basics (the TVTropes reductionist technique being used here) does just about nothing justice.

Most Zelda games are about exploring dungeons and collecting items. Why bother? It's been done dozens of times before. All Smash Bros. games are about Nintendo (and more, now) characters duking it out on stages. Why bother? Most Radiohead albums are a blend of art rock and electronic. Why bother?

It's because of the different coats of paint. It's still going to be the same car underneath. Boiling things down to their very basics lets you quickly (and erroneously) handwave these franchises or artists away quickly because you can't discern the details underneath. Now I'm not saying people shun these particular ones, that's quite rare actually, but you could.

So, focusing on the details underneath. The only real way to enjoy long-running franchises. Wano, if you boil it down, has a theme of saving the population from starvation and pollution. Okay, sure, that's some of it. But it also has a heavy theme of opening up the isolationist country and allowing new people and cultures to be brought in. It also has a heavy theme of defeating one of the absolute strongest beings in the series, an Emperor, and showing that the new generation is establishing itself and taking over the old generation. And moving away from themes, like has been said a lot of originality can be found in the designs of the Beast Pirates. Ever seen a guy with a lion mouth attached to his stomach that can spit fire? I haven't.

It's easy to reduce things to basics and take away all that sets it apart from being copy/paste. But if you do that, arcs that deviate from the formula, like Sabaody, Zou, Impel Down, Whole Cake Island, all get washed out along the way. And you miss all of the many other things to appreciate about arcs, just because one of the storylines include saving someone.
    When you get right down to it, all food is pretty much just carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen. Why bother? It's all the same underneath. LOL. I just thought that might make a better, more hyperbolic example. I'm bored.

When you get down to it, life is just save money and/or get rich and be able to survive when you retire.

really liking the luffy zoro duo time long may it continue.

Live Fast Grow Fat Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    Daifuku was most likely like 500mln bounty in my opinion.

Sanji will get to fight someone as strong as Hawkings and barely win, then Expect that Oda will make him use that raid suit.. and he will tag team a Calamity with Jinbei for example. Fight showing Sanji being stronger than Jinbe when using that suit.

Then it can be discarded after the fight.

I wonder if we will see Judge and Co at end of this arc. I still want Pekoms with an eyepatch to join Strawhats..
    I can agree with everything but the raid suit. It is just so Sogeking-material. Unless Nami says Sanji looked good in it, I just can't imagine Sanji is ever gonna wear that Thing. But hey, last arc told us Sanji is actually nice, even to his Brothers who hit Girls, so...

I love the idea of Pekoms getting an eye-patch though.
    Last edited by Roronoa Zacho; September 19th, 2018 at 03:32 AM.
    My imagination of Moria's ol' crew: https://ibb.co/hEDSv8

Quote Originally Posted by Roronoa Zacho View Post
    I can agree with everything but the raid suit. It is just so Sogeking-material. Unless Nami says Sanji looked good in it, I just can't imagine Sanji is ever gonna wear that Thing. But hey, last arc told us Sanji is actually nice, even to his Brothers who hit Girls, so...

I also agree that Raid suit would be FANTASTIC upgrade for Ussop, fitting him absolutely the best out of crew and 100% in his character(especially if it has boosters for escaping haha).

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Roronoa Zacho View Post

Did they only manage to pluck out one of his eyes? I don't even remember if we got to see how far they got in tearing into him before the Vinsmokes showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    I also agree that Raid suit would be FANTASTIC upgrade for Ussop, fitting him absolutely the best out of crew and 100% in his character(especially if it has boosters for escaping haha).
    Can't Franky just rig up some jetpack for him? It would probably inflate in his pants like a Coup De Boo, though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information