View Poll Results: Who do you think will join?

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tama

    9 2.96%
  • Carrot

    108 35.53%
  • Caribou

    12 3.95%
  • Momo

    10 3.29%
  • Kinemon

    7 2.30%
  • Hiyori

    4 1.32%
  • Bonney

    9 2.96%
  • Pekoms

    5 1.64%
  • Vivi

    26 8.55%
  • Kawamatsu

    16 5.26%
  • None of the above

    98 32.24%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 393 of 399 FirstFirst ... 293 343 383 391 392 393 394 395 ... LastLast
Results 7,841 to 7,860 of 7964

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

  1. #7841

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinotX View Post
    I disagree. She is a similar to Chopper and Usopp when they didnt know about the world so in that sense I do like her sense of traveling
    Their was much more to Usopp and Chopper though and they joined in their introduction arc. Carrot was pretty much a background character in her introduction arc.

    Nothing perse. It is something that I noticed from the third person that joined the crew in the previous seas. The beauty is: either there is a pattern or there isn't. But we only will know when we get a statement the crew is complete or the series is finished. Let say it differently it could mean something. Cause isn't it weird that there are similarities in some cases to how people joined?
    You might find more "similarities" between characters if you looked but I just don't think it actually matters or is really a way to predict who joins for real.

    Obviously they have shown in the current war that we have Wanda and Shishilian taking up that role. Like I said, she didn't need to join. And one of the only reasons I can think of she did was getting us used to her in the dynamics of the crew. She talks about the Sunny as she was part of the crew and the parallel towards how the Minks joined both Roger and Whitebeard are quite big as well. Which is also rightly shown that the Minks didn't joined Raftel. I do wanna put in that sense that a cabin boy or girl wouldn't work either as they didn't go to Raftel. And as far as we know Tom was unofficialy the shipwright of the Roger pirates (?). He didn't even travel with them, so even though there are parallel's they don't need to be true either.
    It's Shishilian who is leading the minks right now but I was talking about something further down the line; replacing Dogstorm and Catviper. She didn't need join but she did.Their needed to be a mink that wouldn't be a sacrifice and could fit well in the arc. Carrot was the best mink for that. Everybody who tags along has dynamics with the crew. When has she talked about the Sunny as if she was part of the crew? I don't remember that. Dogstorm and Catviper joined Whitebeard and Roger following Oden so unless Momonosuke joins and she follows, their is no parallel.

    He is also having the same cuffs around his arms
    Right but if he only had that and not the "decorative rope" would you really think of Oden? Those cuffs have been worn by many more characters.

  2. #7842

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Yeah, I would thought about Oden right away because from all the people in Wano he was wearing it and the outfit itself is resemblant as well to what Oden was wearing. It isn't that weird most people think it. I wouldn't be suprised if Yamato ends up being someone with the will of Oden like I mentioned.

    And in regards to Carrot. Characters like Jinbe and Franky at first didn't really 'shine' that happened later and Jinbe didn't join in his arc either. Carrot has done things already where she shined. For me it isn't like: I want her to join. But the story and narrative is pointing for me that she is going too.
    " I have created over a thousand blades. Unknown to death. Nor known to life. Have withstood pain to create many weapons. Yet, those hands will never hold anything. "

  3. #7843

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    How many characters can say they challenged Zoro in their intro and made Luffy tap out in less than 20 chapters later? Is Wanda and Shishilian doing this? Why haven't they been used like this and in this capacity?

    No one was highlighted to preform lookout duties like she was when it mattered. It was around the same time that Jinbe was shown to be exceptional at his role.

    Many allies have come and gone. None really fall into the pace of the crew like Carrot does. She acts as selfish as them, childish as Usopp, Chopper and Luffy, and is ready to attack like Zoro and Luffy when the moment calls for it. Kinemon and Law are not only shown to be more connected to their respective groups, they don't fall into the crew's madness as much as Carrot did. They are shown to be more taken aback by the antics.

    Even if I try to force her into the sons for the Fleet, it makes no sense. They have a bond with Luffy that is about what happen in Dressrosa. What's the point if anyone can just call themselves a son and Luffy doesn't even approve of the concept of a son and views them differently?

    Oda could've easily had Pekoms struggling with the crew for most of the arc in the Seducing Woods, the PG mission or against that army. Instead, he was kept until it was time to carry a weak Luffy. Pedro directly relays the importance of the crew to Carrot. If Pekoms is with them, he would've gotten the same message, but Oda did it differently for him, which will come back later. As Carrot moves on her own volition, she is unintentionally being what Neko and Inu were for Oden, to the crew. If it was for Momo's retainers, there would be just a hint of interaction or interest written between the 2 outside of the Minks and Kozuki connection.

    There is no ally that was highlighted performing a role on the ship, written away from their initial group, falling in line with the crew's behavior and for as long as the treatment with the crew. Every character brought up in this same thread has fallen flat in at least 1 of these in attempt to compare to Carrot. Manga proof never fails

    Most of the characters introduced as part of some group were isolated from them to some extent
    - Usopp was steadily written away from the Usopp Pirates
    - As rowdy as the Baratie cooks were, Sanji was distinguished from the rest.
    - Franky was taken away from his group and Paulie wasn't. Paulie could barely get beat up w/o his fellow Galley workers being in the very next room.
    - Jinbe was highlighted more than the other ID allies. When most left, he was used to give Luffy perspective and carried him or fought in his place at moments

  4. #7844

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Well you have to look at it in a devil's advocate kind of way too.

    Why would Oda add so many contenders for the Strawhat spot? Because he knows fans expect it, and Oda wants to surprise people so he's bombarding us with red herrings and fakeouts.

    Why does Carrot fit in so well compared to other allies? I would interpret this as being her being intentionally written to fit certain gaps of expectation, much like Kinemon (2-9 Fruit, 2-sword user), Tama (has a clear dream, Ace connection) and many others. Every character has a fun side and a serious side. Dressrosa was rampant with Nakama theories, including Law.

    I don't think we should be looking at patterns because whatever Oda decides, I think it will be outside the normal expectations.

  5. #7845

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I always look at the fact that she lacks a dream specifically. Should it be clear by now? What is it if there is any? Can it be done away from the crew? I've said this many times and some ignore it until it's convenient and I have to reiterate this same sentiment.

    Is the name of a DF the same as the many things that have been done with Carrot? I don't even remember Oda entering his infamous "sweats" comment for that 1. Not that he has to, just kidding. Tama has a dream, but that was with Ace. I haven't seen it verbalized to the same extent for the SH crew.

    Tama also feels like a Rebecca at times where Luffy wants to do it for her. At first, that can be seen as not a knock, but when you add the context that she was written as an example of the oppression of the country like Rebecca, she comes off like a tool to the arc and not someone who can't function without the crew. She can possibly serve as a retainer. The fact that she was placed with Momo, adds to that sentiment. Carrot did the exact opposite and left with her own agenda beyond Zou. Got serious and put herself to task as more of an asset than liability as the arc progressed. This is why I feel Tama is lacking compared to Carrot overall

    Kinemon can't go too far without being solely motivated by his obligation to Oden. Has there been a narrative in an arc where he is doing something for himself and it isn't connected to Oden's wish? I want to hold up Law and Kinemon, who barely fall into the crew's behaviors, weren't highlighted to perform roles on the ship, and show no sign of selfishness that detours them from their immediate agenda. I want to key in on them because they are compared to Carrot who fills in all of these things that they don't, while also being built up to be less 1 dimensional. Even before Pedro died, she is shown to want to be of use. That turns into a more driven character that wants to uphold what Pedro came here for. Why are Kin and Law clearly not being used in that fashion? How can you groom characters that are meant to be SH like this? Their whole narrative connects them to other characters and agenda that contradicts a SH tenure.

    Law went from his agenda to another agenda that is Kaido, but leaves room for interpretation after the Sengoku convo. Add to that, he is a direct rival captain. So many things taking Law out of this category and I question why his name is still even brought up. Kinemon is solely on "Oden's wish" type of time. This man has yet to reunite with his wife and he's supposed to leave right after meeting her for the life of a pirate? Law and Kinemon are possibly the worst cases to bring up if comparing to Carrot.

    Yes, every character has multiple sides. The Corrida Colosseum group (sons/Fleet) were stuck on "no I get Doflamingo/we are in Usopp and Luffy debt" collectively. They came off as a pack to me at least. Even if I tried to question 1 of them, there wouldn't be enough. The most I can say is Cavendish who Luffy told to watch over Law and even that didn't feel right. I didn't really seriously consider him. When there's a group, the character is moved away from them gradually. Cavendish represented that, but his agenda was just 1 dimensional and was conveniently changed to "Luffy is his fan". He had some petty beef with the Supernova and I need a link to specific nakama cases made for any son/fleet member to see where they would get anything outside what I listed. As much as I see little things with Raizo, I don't see enough to take his case seriously. Maybe the old Fleet member nakama cases can give me better perspective.

    I actually need to look at possible patterns because I can see if what I was questioning and deducing was worth as much as previously valued. "Where was Oda going with this" will always be how I try to look at it. If Carrot joins, should I totally dismiss the design aspect or other criteria that some use? I don't think so. They aren't wrong to look at, I just disagree on how much it weighs when Oda wants to twist and turn things as the story continues. Same can be said about a dream being clarified verbally before they joined and less built up to.

  6. #7846

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I think your conclusion hits the nail on the head. It all boils down to where Oda wants to present a character and how to really make a feature out of it. Jinbe's official joining was jothing less than spectacular, at a place and time no one would have expected, despite having all expectations for him already joining the crew.

    Heck, even if it wasn't a crewmember addition, I think the Grand Fleet was Oda's finest moment for curbing expectations that fans have running on high. I can't help but have those same kind of feelings now, where we're getting so many big players joining the fight against Kaido that literally nothing should be expected because you know he's got some big planned, and it might overshadow any plans for new crewmember additions.

    I do think both Carrot and Tama, while fantastic discussion material, have sat in the story too long to make any good use of. They are catalysts for world building more than seeded characters who will help push the Strawhats into the next level.

    I don't think regular mainstay patterns like knowing a dream is all that important. It's defi itely kmportant to have to get an idea of the characters motivations, but most of the dreams came when characters were on the cusp of joining the crew. Sanji didn't even reveal All Blue until the very end of the arc, when he was settled on not joining.

  7. #7847

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I see lots of people seem to think there will be multiple new members of the crew, how many people think we have a few more to go and how many think only one?

    I honestly think there is only one more member Because Luffy said he wanted ten members in the beginning and Black Beard has ten titans

    What do you guys think

  8. #7848
    Stowaway w/ 18k posts Kishido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    After Jinbe just 1... And it will be Yamato

    10 nakamas as Luffy wanted and like BB and his 10 titans
    "This is a common misconception. The term "Monster Trio" is canon, not fanmade.
    It's been used quite a few times in the manga, most recently in chapter 606.
    Oda does use the term "怪物三人組 (Monster Trio)" in the very manga itself."

  9. #7849

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Theres only 9 titanic captains, unless we count some unrevealed 10th like maybe aokiji.

  10. #7850
    Stowaway w/ 18k posts Kishido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Theres only 9 titanic captains, unless we count some unrevealed 10th like maybe aokiji.
    We know from the databook that their are 10 and one is unnamed
    "This is a common misconception. The term "Monster Trio" is canon, not fanmade.
    It's been used quite a few times in the manga, most recently in chapter 606.
    Oda does use the term "怪物三人組 (Monster Trio)" in the very manga itself."

  11. #7851

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    If I remember correctly, the first mention of Blackbeard having 10 under him is in chapter 737.

  12. #7852
    Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mexico

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    We know from the databook that their are 10 and one is unnamed
    we knew that since Gatz said it, but people can't get over the fact that there are still new characters to be introduced.

  13. #7853

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I think the tenth Titan is Aokiji (just to be a named character), but he is just filling the position for now until the real character is introduced.

    I've said before that I think Blackbeard is going after Weevil, or, more accurately, Bakkin. She's the real brain there, and I think she will be final titan, with Weevil as her "weapon" (plus, she may have powers of her own)..
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  14. #7854
    Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mexico

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I think the tenth Titan is Aokiji (just to be a named character), but he is just filling the position for now until the real character is introduced.

    I've said before that I think Blackbeard is going after Weevil, or, more accurately, Bakkin. She's the real brain there, and I think she will be final titan, with Weevil as her "weapon" (plus, she may have powers of her own)..
    That's not how ir works, that's not how any of this works..

    Aokiji, Pinkbeard and whoever else you might add, are affiliates, sort of like Grand Fleet members, much like Cabbage and Barto.

    Fact is, ten titan already exists, is already part of the BB pirates, just like Ryokugyu, it hasn't been introduced nor name-dropped either.
    And giving the massive amount of new characters we've been introduced in the latest arc, the safest bet as of now is that ten titan is a new character as well.

  15. #7855

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I really just find it very odd that the same thing people use against Carrot is what makes her such an anomaly. It all boils back to the question "why is she here?" Major arguments used against her is that she's a flat character that does nothing to progress the plot and just seems kinda there. However, its because of that that I feel why she's such a narrative anomaly if you consider the trend of Oda's story structure and how he uses it. When in regards to Whole Cake Island, she offered nothing to progress the underlying plot nor was she a central figure in it, Carrot wasn't the reason that the Retrieval Team even went to Whole Cake Island nor did she offer any exposition of the matter to the crew regarding it, and she didn't have a previous history with the island nor Big Mom. A lot of information regarding her I feel is intentionally hidden by Oda because she's such an involved character for seemingly no reason at all that there needs to be a justification for why he includes her so much even when she's not such a prominent figure in regards to the plot. The only reason she's participating on the Raid of Onigashima is proxy of Jack's actions against the Mink Tribe. Yet instead of following under Shishilian, her military leader, she's with the Straw Hats. It makes no sense because the narrative never really justifies her presence among them. By usual convention, she would be in the background with the other Musketeers following Shishilian, yet Oda goes out of his way to feature her among the Straw Hats. That's why I view her as an anomaly.

    Think about it. We've been with Carrot for well over 160 chapters and yet we don't know much of her personal history. Even analyzing little details it can draw an interesting conclusion. Like, where are her parents? When she disappeared from Zou, only Wanda was concerned and at no point did she bring up reassuring her parents. Also, when Pedro suggested to turn back, Carrot specifically said Wanda would reprimand her, not her parents. The Musketeers and the Guardians are known as the elite fighters among the Mink Tribe and so far Carrot is the youngest known warrior among them as the rest known ones seem to be in their late 20's/early 30's. On Carrot's vivre card, while not much is highlighted outside of general information like her height and age, her controlling Sulong at her age is considered rare and unusual. Another thing to mention, why did Pedro care about Carrot's training and growth? He was active during the hours of the day as the Dukes still had their squabble, and yet he was overseeing how Shishilian was training her. Her specifically. Not only that, despite being so young, she was chosen alongside Wanda to act as a Kingsbird/Ruler's Aid for reasons still unknown. At least with Wanda it was implied she was related to Inuarashi, Carrot's status on that is unknown. When you consider most tag-a-longs that have been involved with the Straw Hats for almost as long as she has, you would at least get some depth with them. However based on Oda's usually narrative convention, he doesn't follow that in regards to Carrot. So its easy to draw a conclusion that she's not that important at all. Yet, it brings the question why her presence among the crew is actively shown to draw attention that she's closely affiliated with them? None of this is ever addressed. Nothing makes sense with her.

    It's really weird what Oda does with Carrot. That is why I feel he's intentionally hiding stuff about Carrot. Because there's no reason for Carrot to be this involved with the crew and be such a background character where the depth of her character is not highlighted nor related to the arc at hand.

    EDIT: Cockycent kinda highlighted it with his post, but she's the only tag-a-long character that has easily followed the Straw Hat pace, always readily taking orders from the other members of the crew like Luffy, Nami, and Jinbe. Also, the only tag-a-long to actively take a position on the ship throughout the entirety of Whole Cake Island. While it can be justified that they were short on staff, she was acting like a lookout before they were in Whole Cake Island. Why her? Her presence wasn't even need in Whole Cake Island. Pedro was the Mink Tribe representative and was later revealed to have been involved with Big Mom in the past and Pekoms was their guide and security pass into her territory undetected. So why did Oda make the conscious decision to include her if she was meant to be irrelevant later? Her character can be easily overlooked as nothing special, but the fact that she does all this and is not a prominent arc character is so unusual. What's the point of doing this with her?
    Last edited by SeaOfHope; July 1st, 2020 at 06:02 AM.

  16. #7856

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    Think about it. We've been with Carrot for well over 160 chapters and yet we don't know much of her personal history.

    Because there is not much to know about her personal history. She lived her whole life isolated and secure on Zou.
    You can try to find an excuse why it's not like this, but you won't find any, because there is none. She's just plain boring and shallow, that's it.

    "There will be an answer, let it be."

  17. #7857

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Because there is not much to know about her personal history. She lived her whole life isolated and secure on Zou.
    You can try to find an excuse why it's not like this, but you won't find any, because there is none. She's just plain boring and shallow, that's it.
    That's just how you want to view it, but based on previous conventions with tag-a-longs, that isn't the case. Especially for a character who is actively fighting with them and has been around for that long.

  18. #7858
    Witch of Miracles otakufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Ocean of Fragments

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Because there is not much to know about her personal history. She lived her whole life isolated and secure on Zou.
    You can try to find an excuse why it's not like this, but you won't find any, because there is none. She's just plain boring and shallow, that's it.
    Usopp lived his whole life isolated and secure in Syrup Village. Doesn't preclude him from having backstory.

    I would argue that Carrot doesn't need much - some expansion of her relationship with Pedro would do the job, frankly.

    Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

  19. #7859

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    The purpose of a backstory is to explain why a character is like it is. That's what important.

    Regarding Carrot, though, I'd like to point out that back when she first appeared in the Sunny she said something along the lines of 'Wanda is gonna yell at me!' And isn't that kinda weird? Carrot is 15, but she's not worried about mom or dad, it's apparently Wanda that would scold her. I don't think they're actually related, so does she not have any actual family or what?.

  20. #7860

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    That's just how you want to view it, but based on previous conventions with tag-a-longs, that isn't the case. Especially for a character who is actively fighting with them and has been around for that long.
    And that's how you want to view it, you're trying your best to come up with reasons and justifications.
    It seems like it's hard for you accept facts.



    Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Usopp lived his whole life isolated and secure in Syrup Village. Doesn't preclude him from having backstory.
    You are comparing Zou to Syrup Village... ...really?

    Ussop was basically alone, Carrot had all the other Minks to take of her, in case something happened to her parents.
    Her backstory can't be nearly as emotional as any of the other Strawhats.
    The most tragic thing that happened to her was Pedro's death.


    Man, Carrot supporters stretching more than Luffy.

    "There will be an answer, let it be."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

  1. Exsolea

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts