View Poll Results: Who do you think will join?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tama

9 3.09%
  • Carrot

101 34.71%
  • Caribou

12 4.12%
  • Momo

10 3.44%
  • Kinemon

7 2.41%
  • Hiyori

4 1.37%
  • Bonney

9 3.09%
  • Pekoms

5 1.72%
  • Vivi

25 8.59%
  • Kawamatsu

16 5.50%
  • None of the above

93 31.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 323 of 345 FirstFirst ... 223 273 313 321 322 323 324 325 333 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,460 of 6881

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    As far as we know, Nami has no personal connections to anyplace beyond Cocoyashi Village. Her homeland might come up in the future, but that's hardly a certainty.
    yes, and the story dragged Nami until that point where her story came in naturally and organic because it contained all of her connections.

You know where a Mink might have some connection / story relevancy? The moon(s). Can't say that it's not a distinct possibility we get a moon(s) centric story arc. I believe it could be Elbaf.
    Pretty sure, there isn't a single person in there who knows Carrot.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    So a contradiction is irrelevant because of a possible survival of a dead character?
    There isn't a single contradiction, STOP IT.
    secondary characters can go on whatever they want to, because they don't get tragic fb like the SH's do, she can go with Pedro on a Nox adventure pirates.

Main characters, members of the main cast, DO get tragic flashbacks, that's what's she isn't getting at any other place where it would feel super anti-climatic to switch on Carrot's past without any posible connection that build up for that fb to happen.

And Pedro is just as dead as Igaram, Pell and Pagaya really.

Did Usopp have a connection in Little Garden?
    Wooow Tell me of the flashback Usopp got there please!!!

If a Mink is connected through destiny to the Void century
    That's Luffy's role, a random Mink isn't coming up more relevant than Luffy at the final island.

and every arc is supposed to connect to the bigger picture in the end, how is it not possible for Carrot to be connected beyond this arc?
    She doesn't have any kind of personal connections with the Dawn, heck, none of us even know what the Dawn even is going to end up like. Terrible assumption of yours.

She is the Mink that has been with the crew for the longest and was told that she will understand in the future.
    Yes, when the SH's get it done, she and everyone else will learn of that too.
    besides the "you´ll understand" is an interptretation of yours, what I understood from that, is that she´d understand Pedro´s sacrifice, not the Dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    secondary characters can go on whatever they want to, because they don't get tragic fb like the SH's do, she can go with Pedro on a Nox adventure pirates.

Main characters, members of the main cast, DO get tragic flashbacks, that's what's she isn't getting at any other place where it would feel super anti-climatic to switch on Carrot's past without any posible connection that build up for that fb to happen.
    What was Pedro and Carrot's tragic past that would justify a Nox adventure? If Pedro dying in real time isn't tragic to you, but the Mink/Raizo flashback where no one died is tragic enough, I see a 2nd contradiction. What is the flashback for Carrot and Pedro to continue an adventure and makes it possible for Carrot to now have a connection to go beyond Wano?

Not set in stone

You said that if Carrot went with the crew, there was no connection beyond Wano. Yet, Usopp formed a connection in Little garden that was personal and reinforced his dream to tell truth more unbelievable than lies

That's Luffy's role, a random Mink isn't coming up more relevant than Luffy at the final island.

She doesn't have any kind of personal connections with the Dawn, heck, none of us even know what the Dawn even is going to end up like. Terrible assumption of yours.

besides the "you´ll understand" is an interptretation of yours, what I understood from that, is that she´d understand Pedro´s sacrifice, not the Dawn.
    Said random Mink is said to understand it later. Said Mink was said by you to be part of Nox 2. Said Mink has been with the crew the most and isn't random just off that.

Minks in general are connected to the Void Century. Are you denying this? Why is Oda putting a random Mink in so many situations and even you have said this random is worthy of being part of a Nox 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    yes, and the story dragged Nami until that point where her story came in naturally and organic because it contained all of her connections.

Pretty sure, there isn't a single person in there who knows Carrot.

I didn't say someone there would know Carrot. You shifted the goal post. You said that Straw Hats have set up where they can gain focus in future arcs. I pointed out that Nami has no personal connections outside her hometown to refute this logic. Nami has obviously gotten a ton of development and focus and it didn't depend on specific locations where she has personal connections. I further pointed out that a Mink might have narrative focus in a moon(s) focused story arc because their 'true form' derives from the full moon. It's purely speculation, but that's the point. We didn't know in advance which arcs Straw Hats would receive development. It's an unrealistic standard to say we need to know upfront which arcs beyond Wano where Carrot will be at the center of the narrative. We cannot possibly know that information thus it is impossible to claim there is no possible scenario where Carrot receives development beyond Wano. It's an entirely unfair standard which hasn't applied to a single member of the crew.

Shifting goal posts should be the name of this topic.

And can we please stop treating it as a fact that Pedro is alive when nothing in the manga currently suggests that he is anything but dead? It's fine to speculate, but it cannot be treated as fact when it is anything but that on paper.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

About the flashback that unite all the Strawhat thing, I would kindly remember that Usopp's one is one page long. Even Gaimon had more than that...
    Jinbe was not the main protagonist of his own one so the fan made rules can clearly be bent

I was skimming through Volume 6 of the Nakama thread again and as I said before, its still very hilarious to see the shifts in arguments and jumping the gun on new characters. Predating to Punk Hazard even. Anyways, @Shift I found a post of yours on the 1001st page of the Volume 6 Nakama thread. Not calling you out or anything, but I think you (and me to some extent) still stand by to this.

In regards to Chapter 878:

Hopefully this latest chapter will make my following conspiracy-level theories a bit more palatable. Tear it apart, ignore it, make of it what you will. Just please don't think too badly of me. I don't hope to convince everyone, but these are my true feelings.

Now, here's the thing I realized about Carrot's lack of stand out moments: it would have triggered way too many flags for way too many people way too soon. Before Zou, we had a decent number of Sunny companions that we quickly understood would not be joining permanently. Carrot was then introduced in an arc with an abundance of animal people, and on the ship, she was simply another passenger, an inexperienced kid under the wing of a more experienced, more notorious commander she would assumedly be returning home with later. That's the brilliance of it: despite all his talk to the contrary, no one seriously suspected that Pedro might not make it off WCI.

Carrot was purposely placed in a way as to not stand out immediately while with Pedro because Oda knows how many readers are constantly sniffing for potential new crewmates. He did the bare minimum to establish Carrot as an actual asset on the trip and not just a noncombative tag-along, while at the same time making Pedro the red herring of sorts that many folks would be pinning more of their hopes on over her. She didn't have a solo victory, but she did take down the majority of Brulee's gang with Chopper using her electricity and animal attributes. She has powers that other characters have, but she uses them consistently as part of her fighting style. And she currently has a clear purpose: stopping the guy who took down Pedro.

Oda knows that we're ready Pedro's 100% survival. That traditional lack of risk is how he so effectively used Ace's death to shock us. Here he has a character with two fatal conditions and we're not ready to believe he's really done for. I know the safe odds are on him being okay, but him being truly gone would prove that there's something more to Carrot's purpose. And even now we're still waiting for his return with his 50 years ahead of him and maybe a missing limb or two, nothing that Peros is saying is supporting that possibility: if Pedro was still alive, Peros could just take out his frustration on him.

Pedro told Carrot that everyone has their time to make a difference. This time was most certainly his, not hers. But by virtue of showing him saying it to her, she's foreshadowed to eventually have her own chance, possibly against Perospero who we can see she's focusing on.

Pedro also impressed upon her the importance of helping the Straw Hats, that she'll someday understand that for herself and to keep moving forward, a point Jinbe reiterated. Even though Pedro was not outright saying to join their crew, my gut feeling is that it has the same meaning as Ace asking Jinbe to take care of Luffy and Saul telling Robin that her friends are waiting for her somewhere in the world.

I really was hoping this chapter would give me more to be confident about, and I believe it has. I've got my bets all in on Carrot officially joining the crew by the end of Wano. It might yet turn out to be a fool's wager, but I've got Carrot's back from here on out to the bitter end.

I can see the WG possibly giving her a low bounty like Chopper. They have something against animals

i've been skimming through the old next crewmate threads too from time to time, and its funny how having a cabin boy/girl was popular back then, but now with a similar but official plot related position in pirate apprentice and even with a given candidate in Tama and a less likely candidate with Momo the support has been non existent. I blame carrot.
    https://youtu.be/9fykY9KsnGA

Bounties and names of every single Roger Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    i've been skimming through the old next crewmate threads too from time to time, and its funny how having a cabin boy/girl was popular back then, but now with a similar but official plot related position in pirate apprentice and even with a given candidate in Tama and a less likely candidate with Momo the support has been non existent. I blame carrot.
    Sometimes I feel Momonosuke may keep traveling with the crew as apprentice after Wano, because of Kaido saying he lacks a dream of his own in the flashback. After seeing what Oden was capable of, Momonosuke may want to become like his father, and go with the crew to learn with them and finish his father's quest, so when he returns to Wano he's worthy of being the shogun.

However, if that happens, he may be nakama but I don't think he counts towards the crewmember count as cabin boy, as he is very far from the level of the other Strawhats.

About Tama, I don't expect her to go with the crew at all. She's, to me, a pretty obvious "Wano-only" character.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    About the flashback that unite all the Strawhat thing, I would kindly remember that Usopp's one is one page long.
    At the start of the series Oda still thought the whole thing was going to be done in five years. Zoro's flashback was less than a chapter too, and Chou CHou the dog's flashback was also like two panels. *Some* concessions need to be made towards Oda and the story being newer back then. Oda didn't really find his pacing and groove for emotional beats and slightly longer arcs until Baratie, and he didn't implement his "no deaths" policy until the end of Alabasta as he started to understand more the age group of his reader base. there's random fodder deaths all over the place in the first 200 chapters followed by not-dying being the rule afterward. The first couple years were a little bit different, you have to look at what he's done consistently in the two decades since and what his authorial style turned into.

Like Law or Big Mom or Sr. Pink of all people getting flashbacks, or the lengthy one we just got the scabbards and Oden, or the Skypeia flashback. Don't even have to be a strawhat to get a real flashback anymore, but two panel flashbacks just aren't something Oda does at this point if he's serious about someone's backstory.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Senor pink and Franky need to reunite in the epilogue and share that drink while they talk about their wives whose first names both just so happen to start with the letter R
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Sometimes I feel Momonosuke may keep traveling with the crew as apprentice after Wano, because of Kaido saying he lacks a dream of his own in the flashback. After seeing what Oden was capable of, Momonosuke may want to become like his father, and go with the crew to learn with them and finish his father's quest, so when he returns to Wano he's worthy of being the shogun.

However, if that happens, he may be nakama but I don't think he counts towards the crewmember count as cabin boy, as he is very far from the level of the other Strawhats.

About Tama, I don't expect her to go with the crew at all. She's, to me, a pretty obvious "Wano-only" character.
    Yeah, I had that feeling back in like 2013 too but then Robby roasted me hard lol
    Ever since his true origin was revealed in Zou though I abounded Momo, I still think he will be a major ally and character of the rest of serious, almost similar to Vivi, but his character do overlap with Chopper a bit, and theres also the fact that he just didn't seem to enjoy travelling with the strawhats a lot, or even travelling at all. And with the limited time he spent with Luffy and the upcoming time they have left in wano, I think that is enough for Luffy to almost becoming his mentor in a way, and he won't need to travel with the crew further than he already has for him to learn a thing or two from Luffy and consider him his rolemodel/mentor.

As for tama... she got the perfect personality, design, name, devil fruit power, past, and role to fit into the crew, all she needs is some basic combat ability so she can fight without using pets, itll be some ninja attacks and techniques and she will showcase it soon!!!

One of the tragedies of Momo's life is that his father died before teaching him how to read/write the Poneglyphs. I feel like Momo's story is about a weak boy trying to restore the huge legacy of his family while also trying to figure out who he is (both as a Kouzuki and the boy who can command Zunisha, but also his intimate dreams).

I think it would make sense for him to keep his journey with the Strawhats a little longer, or at least go to Laftel with them later. He could learn the language of the Poneglyphs with Robin. And he would learn the truth about the world just like his father did and understand the role of the Kouzuki in the new era.

Hiyori could become the shogun of Wano instead. Not only she's an adult, but she has also endured all these years of Orochi's rule fighting in the shadows. It's also possible that Momo may not want to become a Shogun when he figure out his own dreams, and maybe Hiyori is better fit to be king.

Anyway, I wouldn't see Momo as a proper Strawhats unless it was officialized as such. I would see him more like a guest.

I wouldn't neccesarily think of an apprentice as a crew member.

I mean one can join, but he/she isn't a legit strawhat on the others level
    Last edited by wolfwood; May 23rd, 2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Wow ninja'd again

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I wouldn't neccesarily think of an apprentice as a crew member.

I mean one can join, but he/she isn't a legit strawhat on the others level
    That's how I see it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    One of the tragedies of Momo's life is that his father died before teaching him how to read/write the Poneglyphs. I feel like Momo's story is about a weak boy trying to restore the huge legacy of his family while also trying to figure out who he is (both as a Kouzuki and the boy who can command Zunisha, but also his intimate dreams).

I think it would make sense for him to keep his journey with the Strawhats a little longer, or at least go to Laftel with them later. He could learn the language of the Poneglyphs with Robin. And he would learn the truth about the world just like his father did and understand the role of the Kouzuki in the new era.

Hiyori could become the shogun of Wano instead. Not only she's an adult, but she has also endured all these years of Orochi's rule fighting in the shadows. It's also possible that Momo may not want to become a Shogun when he figure out his own dreams, and maybe Hiyori is better fit to be king.

Anyway, I wouldn't see Momo as a proper Strawhats unless it was officialized as such. I would see him more like a guest.
    My thoughts exactly. Momo has a huge legacy to look up, and Laugh Tale is part of that. It would make sense if he went further with the Strawhats and learned how to read the Poneglyphs before he settled in Wano.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

The second someone younger then 17 years old chopper joins, his 5 yeard old kid gag is out of the window.

how could someone join the crew but still not be considered a crew member? i dont get it.

how could someone join the crew but still not be considered a crew member? i dont get it.
    It means his role in the story is lesser. He will be there, he will help, maybe he even get some fights, but he's nowhere near the others in strength or relevance. Because, as a kid, he can't do adult stuff. His arc is about becoming an adult.

Zeus
    16 character

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    It means his role in the story is lesser. He will be there, he will help, maybe he even get some fights, but he's nowhere near the others in strength or relevance. Because, as a kid, he can't do adult stuff. His arc is about becoming an adult.
    the strength doesnt matter, come on, and for relevance, the rapid character development and growth the apprentice makes up for that.

and if Zeus is considered a crew member, then so is Usopps plants and Frankys vehicles lol

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    What was Pedro and Carrot's tragic past that would justify a Nox adventure?
    Secondary characters don't need a tragic past to go on adventure, I'm literally repeating it.

but the Mink/Raizo flashback where no one died is tragic enough, I see a 2nd contradiction.
    dude.... STOP IT, I haven't even mentioned said fb in our conversation.

Not set in stone
    That's a lousy hope of yours, Oda's clearly teasing us with the Tarte Ships, we still don't know who escaped in 09, and yeah, there's plenty of history of unexplained survivals in this series.

You said that if Carrot went with the crew, there was no connection beyond Wano. Yet, Usopp formed a connection in Little garden that was personal and reinforced his dream to tell truth more unbelievable than lies
    The Giants of Elbaf are not triggering a fb that we don't know of Usopp yet.

Said Mink has been with the crew the most
    Which amounts about nothing, Kin´emon is the Samurai who have been the most with the SH´s too.

Minks in general are connected to the Void Century. Are you denying this? Why is Oda putting a random Mink in so many situations and even you have said this random is worthy of being part of a Nox 2?
    Just aknowledge that Carrot has no personal connections beyond Wano. PERSONAL, tell me one personal connection Carrot has in any of the possible arcs we´re going after this. you're just avoiding it with your usual dawn-vague-ambigous stuff that you don't even know about and pretend is a super clear and explained thing that supposedly holds a personal mission to Carrot(whom by the way, has shown no interest in such thing)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information