+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1532

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

  1. #21

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    As I said, becoming a Strawhat is not the only possible outcome for Carrot's arc, and that's why I mentioned other reasons for why I think she will join. Anyway, becoming a Strawhat is much more fulfilling for her purposes than the examples that you mentioned, and much more appropriate than "adventuring" by helpink your folk move to another island or suddenly becoming a Captain of a crew.
    How so?, Traveling the world with the Straw hats would take her to a couple of islands maximum as the Straw Hats are already heading to the finish line, like they themselves mentioned upon discovering the Road Poneglyphs.

    Looking for a sustainable/appropriate place for her people to live will push her to explore many different type of islands so the Minks can settle there. There is a much bigger scope of islands in comparison to what the Straw Hats have to go through.


    Yes, that is the case.

    Here is Luffy meeting Kaku and thinking it's Usopp because of the long nose: https://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/325/15
    Here is Luffy thinking that Cricket is talking about Usopp because he mentioned a great liar: https://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/228/7
    Here is Luffy saying that Nami is stealing the villagers' houses after she told him that she steals from pirates: https://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/9/15
    Here is Luffy thinking that a zombie is an old man: https://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/448/12

    These are only the examples that I can recall from the top of my mind... but it should be mentioned how Luffy also misunderstands or simplifying many things, like his childish concept of a hero, or saying that allies are friends, or his famous jokes of calling something "mysterious" whenever he doesn't understand it, or confusing the physical traits of people and animals (like calling the bananawani a banana with a crocodile).
    And all your examples are for comedic purposes, not at all comparable to the line about the Minks. Again, Luffy gets rids of the needless intricacies. Like saying that allies are friends. Allies should be friends it is our human nature that makes us conspire or fear betrayal.

    His observation that Zou is like an island full of Choppers is in-character for him.

    That doesn't mean that an artist should have the same understandment of concept-design as Luffy. As I explained, "furry" is a pretty big umbrella design-wise and the extremes are too far apart to matter.
    But even then, the line was used, Oda is speaking through his work and Luffy. The line was not a joke, and it is true, it is an island fulŮ of Choppers, regardless of they dress or have different body shapes. The core of it is: furry talking animal.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

  2. #22

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    How so?, Traveling the world with the Straw hats would take her to a couple of islands maximum as the Straw Hats are already heading to the finish line, like they themselves mentioned upon discovering the Road Poneglyphs.

    Looking for a sustainable/appropriate place for her people to live will push her to explore many different type of islands so the Minks can settle there. There is a much bigger scope of islands in comparison to what the Straw Hats have to go through.
    I appreciate your perception of adventure and romance, and I suppose Luffy could be a real estate broker if he was not a pirate, or maybe a truck driver, but I really don't see Carrot's dream being to move her folk to another island and enjoying this thrilling experience. I guess we should just disagree here and move on.

    And the manga is ending since Laftel is really close now, sure, but that doesn't mean that the Strawhats perceive that as the end of their adventure together. How is Nami drawing a world map with just a few more islands to go? What if Sanji doesn't find the All Blue before Laftel (we know that he will soon, but he doesn't)?

    What matter is that getting onboard the Sunny is the biggest adventure there is, even if the series is about to end. Nobody is gonna think "I shouldn't become a Strawhat now if I want adventures".

    And all your examples are for comedic purposes, not at all comparable to the line about the Minks. Again, Luffy gets rids of the needless intricacies. Like saying that allies are friends. Allies should be friends it is our human nature that makes us conspire or fear betrayal.

    But even then, the line was used, Oda is speaking through his work and Luffy. The line was not a joke, and it is true, it is an island fulŮ of Choppers, regardless of they dress or have different body shapes. The core of it is: furry talking animal.
    It's not comparable because you don't want to, just as you can't guarantee that Oda is speaking through Luffy (especially when Luffy is acting in-character). If that's your interpretation, it's fine, man, no worries, because this kind of stuff is completely open to interpretation. However, it's not a fact. For instance, my interpretation is that an artist that studied illustration and design as much as Oda has a better understandment than "furry talking animal"... especially when the two characters in discussion are a chibi-mascot-plushie-thing and the other a girl with bunny traits.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Carrot: Time to find a new land for the Mink tribe to live on. I can already see all the different places we will meet until we can find the appropriate place to final-
    Momonosuke: You guys can live here.
    Mink: YAY!

  4. #24
    translated-ShiningDarkness
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere!

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I'm still not 100% sure that anyone will formally join after Jinbe. All we're missing in the core crew at this point is a giant, and the ship is too small for that. Despite the minks being qualitatively different from Chopper, a devil-fruit-powered pure-animal, I still think the animal component of the crew is already satisfied with Chopper and we don't need a mink to join.

    Literally the only type of character we're missing besides a giant is the cadet who will carry on the pirate spirit like Shanks did with Roger.

    And I want to be as clear as possible on this: I am not predicting that Momonosuke will join the crew. I don't even want him to join the crew. But if anyone else joins the crew after Jinbe, it feels like it'll be some kid, with the explicit understanding that Luffy will not take responsibility for protecting him (even though he totally will).

  5. #25
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Carrot: Time to find a new land for the Mink tribe to live on. I can already see all the different places we will meet until we can find the appropriate place to final-
    Momonosuke: You guys can live here.
    Mink: YAY!
    Isn't that ultimately Jimbei's goal, though? Race relations improving and eventual relocation for Fishman kind? She's just stepping on too damn many toes.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Isn't that ultimately Jimbei's goal, though? Race relations improving and eventual relocation for Fishman kind? She's just stepping on too damn many toes.
    I'm actually just rolling with this "relocation of the Minks", really. I have no idea where this came from, but since nobody questioned I suppose I just forgot about it.

  7. #27
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I'm actually just rolling with this "relocation of the Minks", really. I have no idea where this came from, but since nobody questioned I suppose I just forgot about it.
    I don't particularly recall (though since I only ever read the chapters once, it shouldn't be expected that I would) it being mentioned that the Minks required a new place to crash after being there for such a long time, but since Zunisha got attacked and its leg was pretty f'ed up, is that why they're looking or at least talking about it or is that just speculation and it was never really addressed?

    Hypothetically speaking, at least, it would stand to reason why someone like Carrot would be seen as a good candidate to scope out such a place and leave a landmark there for later, given how people are clamoring for her as a lookout/scout. But with her impetuous nature and inexperience it's difficult to support such a position and while she is gaining experience now, it's tremendously reminiscent of Chopper getting his sea legs and we've already seen that. The South Park episode title #Rehash comes to mind here. At this late stage in the series, a rookie coming on board now makes no sense anyway. Even their newest official member, Jimbei, is far more seasoned than any of the rest of them, which fits. Someone going from zero to fighting a Blackbeard fleet commander in this short duration doesn't really make logistic sense, so there's that too. Maybe if they'd met the Minks before the time-skip and we've had reason to believe they were training their collective asses off like the Straw Hats and Jimbei, but as it is, it's not feeling like the real deal. Jimbei was as good as joined before the time-skip anyway, so for a newcomer at this point, I'd just expect things to click without question. Nobody's felt like that outside of Franky and Jimbei (for me, at least), and although I was wrong about Brook because being a secondary swordsman still makes no sense to me, Carrot has way more going against her as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by BattleFranky69; September 12th, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by HikaruYami View Post
    I'm still not 100% sure that anyone will formally join after Jinbe. All we're missing in the core crew at this point is a giant, and the ship is too small for that. Despite the minks being qualitatively different from Chopper, a devil-fruit-powered pure-animal, I still think the animal component of the crew is already satisfied with Chopper and we don't need a mink to join.

    Literally the only type of character we're missing besides a giant is the cadet who will carry on the pirate spirit like Shanks did with Roger.

    And I want to be as clear as possible on this: I am not predicting that Momonosuke will join the crew. I don't even want him to join the crew. But if anyone else joins the crew after Jinbe, it feels like it'll be some kid, with the explicit understanding that Luffy will not take responsibility for protecting him (even though he totally will).
    We're not missing a giant. It's not like Luffy is purposely looking to have every race on his crew. Not to mention there's other races out there anyways if that was the case. Like you said though, they're too big, so nothing more to say on that.

    And the animal component in Chopper didn't stop Jinbe from joining, just saying.

    And I think the first chapter, among others, makes it pretty clear that Oda isn't going to add a kid to the crew. At best, I could see a scenario where Tama fits such a role one day when she's older, where Luffy makes a new promise with her, but definitely not during the current storyline. But that's just Tama. Regarding Momo, he's effectively the New World's Vivi.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I have like zero interest in anyone that appeared so far outside of Jinbe.

    Hidden:

  10. #30

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Jimbe's goal is not the realocation of fishmen. Of course that's an important cause of his people, but this will has been carried away by other characters, like the royal family.

    Jimbe is a pirate and he always understood the boundaries of his situation. As a Shichibukai he could become a diplomat for the fishmen to the human world, and then when he lost his title, he got Big Mom's protection for Gyojin Island. And that's all we know about Jimbe's fight for his people. He never mentioned carrying the goal of searching a place for the fishmen to live in the surface.

    And even if that was his goal, that would be his dream, therefore accomplished by doing it. That's different than saying that Carrot would accomplish her desire of having adventures by helping her people move to another island.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Since this is a new thread, I'll mention my opinion about Momonosuke. He won't join the crew, but he will go to Laftel with Luffy just like Oden with Roger.

  11. #31
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Jimbe's goal is not the realocation of fishmen. Of course that's an important cause of his people, but this will has been carried away by other characters, like the royal family.

    Jimbe is a pirate and he always understood the boundaries of his situation. As a Shichibukai he could become a diplomat for the fishmen to the human world, and then when he lost his title, he got Big Mom's protection for Gyojin Island. And that's all we know about Jimbe's fight for his people. He never mentioned carrying the goal of searching a place for the fishmen to live in the surface.

    And even if that was his goal, that would be his dream, therefore accomplished by doing it. That's different than saying that Carrot would accomplish her desire of having adventures by helping her people move to another island.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Since this is a new thread, I'll mention my opinion about Momonosuke. He won't join the crew, but he will go to Laftel with Luffy just like Oden with Roger.
    I disagree about the first bit, but I like the second bit, about Momo tagging along to Raftel. I bet the Straw Hat Grand Fleet will escort them there. If getting to Raftel is as tricky as all that, they'll probably need more than one ship to make it and the rest of the fleet paving the way for them would be the grandest send-off.

  12. #32
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    OFFICIAL RUNNING:
    3)Pudding (10% chance)


    Not even in the running:
    Carrot




    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  13. #33

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I'm actually just rolling with this "relocation of the Minks", really. I have no idea where this came from, but since nobody questioned I suppose I just forgot about it.
    I will respond more later, but thw relocation of the Minks was discussed at the end of the Zou Arc after Jack was ddfeated by Zunisha.

    The Minks recognized that Zunisha was put in danger by them living there. The attack from Jack made them realize that.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Hidden:



    The Minks have taken for granted where they lived, now they recognize that they cannot live there any longer.

    I am not taking this out of my ass, I am basing it on what the series is putting out.
    Last edited by K. Kira XXIII; September 12th, 2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

  14. #34

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    You know, it's funny how we are constantly making up reasons to decide ourselves why a character definitely can't join (too boring, too young, too nami clone, too blonde), all subjective, while completely overlooking the fact Jinbe has been around for 10 years, been a major character in 4 arcs, and we still don't know the most basic thing about him as a SH: what his dream is.

    Among all the made up criteria we come up with, there is only one thing that is, beyond a doubt, a box every SH must check at some point (having their unique dream that is their drive force). And Jinbe never really checked that one.

    I mean, we suppose his dream is the peaceful coexistence of fishmen/merfolk with humans because that was Fisher Tiger's dream and that was Otohime's dream and pretty much every fishman wants that now so that must be his dream as well... right!? It is worth of note the only reason why we think that's his dream is because his background lacks any other possible one, not because he has shown a strong desire to see this one coming true. In fact, Otohime kids are portrayed as the real ones trying to make that dream come true, not him (after all, how exactly being on the Pirate King crew would work in that sense?).

    Jinbe must have his own dream we'll find out at some point, but at this moment, after so many years, he still seems to lack any kind of strong motivation rather than "showing gratitude to whomever". We already had two arcs to present and develop him, one arc on his homeland with a huge flashback, another arc with him cutting his last ties... and we are still on the dark here. If we held him by the same standards we do the other characters, we would be saying "if Oda wanted him to have a strong dream, he would have done it by now".



    I am not saying Jinbe is not joining, obviously. Nobody in their right mind would be doing that at this point, just pointing out how the double standard is heavy here. With him, we can understand Oda is not necessarily bound by a certain way of doing things and may take his time to get somewhere if he wants to go there, but if we are not already 100% certain of the fact he is going there, suddenly we throw away any semblance of understanding.

  15. #35
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I don't even know what the deal is with Pudding. I guess you could argue that even though she's human (and I'm rooting for a non-human with no DF power), she can be distinguished from Nami and Robin since her hair has a different style than straight down and it's a brown to contrast Nami's red and Robin's black, and her black eye. But there's just not enough there, no combat-compatible DF ability, no real-world experience, she's awfully young by comparison, she's clearly not remotely ready to leave behind the only life she's ever known, and just from me personally, I find her split-personality quirk annoying.

    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    You know, it's funny how we are constantly making up reasons to decide ourselves why a character definitely can't join (too boring, too young, too nami clone, too blonde), all subjective, while completely overlooking the fact Jinbe has been around for 10 years, been a major character in 4 arcs, and we still don't know the most basic thing about him as a SH: what his dream is.

    Among all the made up criteria we come up with, there is only one thing that is, beyond a doubt, a box every SH must check at some point (having their unique dream that is their drive force). And Jinbe never really checked that one.

    I mean, we suppose his dream is the peaceful coexistence of fishmen/merfolk with humans because that was Fisher Tiger's dream and that was Otohime's dream and pretty much every fishman wants that now so that must be his dream as well... right!? It is worth of note the only reason why we think that's his dream is because his background lacks any other possible one, not because he has shown a strong desire to see this one coming true. In fact, Otohime kids are portrayed as the real ones trying to make that dream come true, not him (after all, how exactly being on the Pirate King crew would work in that sense?).

    Jinbe must have his own dream we'll find out at some point, but at this moment, after so many years, he still seems to lack any kind of strong motivation rather than "showing gratitude to whomever". We already had two arcs to present and develop him, one arc on his homeland with a huge flashback, another arc with him cutting his last ties... and we are still on the dark here. If we held him by the same standards we do the other characters, we would be saying "if Oda wanted him to have a strong dream, he would have done it by now".



    I am not saying Jinbe is not joining, obviously. Nobody in their right mind would be doing that at this point, just pointing out how the double standard is heavy here. With him, we can understand Oda is not necessarily bound by a certain way of doing things and may take his time to get somewhere if he wants to go there, but if we are not already 100% certain of the fact he is going there, suddenly we throw away any semblance of understanding.
    I mean...we can't just dismiss that he's basically done nothing his entire life but strive for exactly what we're all saying his ultimate goal is. Joining Fisher Tiger's crusade but never giving in to the raw hatred of guys like Arlong and Hody Jones, accepting the position of Shichibukai and becoming basically a martyr for his people, leaving them behind so he could be the upstanding figurehead and sacrificing his ability to keep Arlong in check, refusing to fight Whitebeard because the man was Fishman Island's protector, and now being on the crew of Fishman Island's next great protector, the fifth Yonkou, for crying out loud...and even now, he delayed his recruitment yet again FOR HIS PEOPLE. If that doesn't spell it out for everyone, nothing will. His people are everything to him, and he sees Luffy's heart and how much it will benefit his people in the long run. Luffy's more than earned his loyalty but his people still come first. I think he sees the end of the road and how Luffy will be standing there, triumphant, with a grateful world cheering him on and heeding his every word, and how that will result in the entire fish/mer people races stepping proudly, safely and happily onto the surface world to be greeted as equals to every other sapient species in the world. Jimbei's been around a long time, so his instincts have probably given him that insight, but it still stems from his motivation that can't be ignored.
    Last edited by BattleFranky69; September 12th, 2018 at 01:32 PM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Jinbe explicitly said he wants to join the crew of the future pirate king to better fishman relations, followed by his entire crew encouraging him to go and finally do something for himself instead of being responsible for others all the time.

    He's obviously also got history in Wano (and maybe his scar) so we might finally get the rest there, but he has explicitly stated his dream out loud... and its the same thing we guessed about him 10 years ago before he even appeared on camera.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I mean, we suppose his dream is the peaceful coexistence of fishmen/merfolk with humans because that was Fisher Tiger's dream and that was Otohime's dream and pretty much every fishman wants that now so that must be his dream as well... right!? It is worth of note the only reason why we think that's his dream is because his background lacks any other possible one, not because he has shown a strong desire to see this one coming true. In fact, Otohime kids are portrayed as the real ones trying to make that dream come true, not him (after all, how exactly being on the Pirate King crew would work in that sense?).
    We didn't suppose anything, it even got reiterated in WCI:




    The only thing Jinbe is arguably "lacking" is a backstory/flashback where he's the central character. Because in the one we got in Fishman Islands, the main stars were Fisher Tiger and Otohime. Hell, the way Oda's going about having Jinbe join is what pushed me towards Carrot as the WCI arc progressed.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    The reason why joining Luffy will better the relations is because Luffy will break the status quo in a way that has never been done before, which will ultimately involve taking down Im and the Celestial dragons in favor of something less racist etc.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

  19. #39
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    The reason why joining Luffy will better the relations is because Luffy will break the status quo in a way that has never been done before, which will ultimately involve taking down Im and the Celestial dragons in favor of something less racist etc.
    Even though it's the Revolutionaries' (and his dad's) cause, I do hope he'll deliver the 'killing' blow to the system or whoever represents it at the final battle for reformation.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    The most symbolic thing would be destroying the Empty not so Empty throne, but would that make the final war's location Mariey Joyieiye(sp?)
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts