View Poll Results: Who do you think will join?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tama

9 3.81%
  • Carrot

74 31.36%
  • Caribou

10 4.24%
  • Momo

7 2.97%
  • Kinemon

5 2.12%
  • Hiyori

4 1.69%
  • Bonney

9 3.81%
  • Pekoms

4 1.69%
  • Vivi

20 8.47%
  • Kawamatsu

14 5.93%
  • None of the above

80 33.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 181 of 203 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 191 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 4059

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanErrorist View Post
    The fact that the quote is in Chinese is annoying. Although I believe the Pirate crew not being assembled yet would translate to Luffy wants 10 members excluding himself and we are still at 9 members only.

Remember at the time of publishing that Jinbei being asked to join hadn't even come out yet. It's been 20 years or so and the crew hasn't even been completed. That makes sense to me.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

What I'm saying is that none of them actually had an interest in becoming the Pirate King. How is this not obvious when Doflamingo states his purpose?

Even though Law mentioned the One Piece, my counter argument would be, why would he even bother going against the Strawhats when he knows firsthand that they are the crew going through miracles and charging through the world with style? He was so confident in Luffy that he told Doflamingo that he had no chance of taking them down because of this. That is a very Strawhat thing to say.

Regardless of that, we know why Law is a pirate and what his actual lifelong goal was and it wasn't the One Piece.

Dude you are literally making me pull out my hair. Ding Ding Ding, look at my location!
    That just makes it worst for you.

Even though Law mentioned the One Piece, my counter argument would be, why would he even bother going against the Strawhats when he knows firsthand that they are the crew going through miracles and charging through the world with style? He was so confident in Luffy that he told Doflamingo that he had no chance of taking them down because of this. That is a very Strawhat thing to say.
    If that were the case, he would have quit being a captain after Dressrose. There is still no definitive counter-argument about the Throne part.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    That just makes it worst for you.
    I'm explaining to you that you don't understand how the word Nakama is used in Japanese. When someone uses the word Nakama, espeeeeeeeeecially in the context of One Piece, it DOES NOT MEAN FRIEND.

In English you have one word and that's friend. In Japanese you have many different words that express many different levels of friendship and have different meanings, but when translated to English, they translate to friend.

So what I am saying is when Oda uses the word Nakama, he does not mean allies, or friends like Rebecca/Riku etc. It specifically means crewmates ONLY.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

It's pretty easy to say that when you look at something in hindsight.
    Two main reasons why I thought Jinbe could join.

1. SH lack token fishman.

2. SH need at least one more powerhouse to join them, seeing how enemies are getting stronger and stronger.

Having him properly introduced just solidified the thought.

It's not like it's a completely random prediction, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

I'm explaining to you that you don't understand how the word Nakama is used in Japanese. When someone uses the word Nakama, espeeeeeeeeecially in the context of One Piece, it DOES NOT MEAN FRIEND.

In English you have one word and that's friend. In Japanese you have many different words that express many different levels of friendship and have different meanings, but when translated to English, they translate to friend.

So what I am saying is when Oda uses the word Nakama, he does not mean allies, or friends like Rebecca/Riku etc. It specifically means crewmates ONLY.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
    It a 100% doesn't mean crewmate.

And again, you're mixing up series with real life stuff.

They struggled against damn Foxy too.

And yes, they're up against Yonkoy now, the biggest fish in the entire Grand Line to defeat.
    The struggle against Foxy is clearly different than the struggle against Doffy or the Yonkos. Foxy didn't require multiple crews and/or organizations for assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    But Law did mention the One Piece and a "Throne". He is not being subtly.
    I guess it's just a translation "mistake" https://mangalife.us/read-online/One-Piece-chapter-595-page-12.html

I
    n this translation he says "rightful place". In retrospective, he clearly meant his place as a Shichibukai. It's no coincidence that he became one, he planed the whole thing.
    So his goal was Doffy all along.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

It a 100% doesn't mean crewmate.

And again, you're mixing up series with real life stuff.

Ok now, you are breaching the realms of retardation. The real life stuff IS ALSO THE SAME. The reason it's translated to crewmate in English is because it's the word that fits the Japanese word. If you understand translating from Japanese to English or vice versa, you will find that there are words and phrases you cannot directly translate.

NOBODY in Japan uses the word Nakama to refer to a friend or a just a person you are cool with.

Hell, I even did research online to even show you:

"t's a question of degree. 友達(Tomodachi) is pretty much anyone you hang out with on a regular basis; 仲間(Nakama)is a much closer relationship, almost like 'someone you choose to share your life with'. 仲間(Nakama) also seems to have a sense of 'doing things together' or 'working towards a common goal' which is absent from 友達(friend)
    The context of shounen manga gives a nice demonstration of one boundary between the two. The protagonist's 仲間(Nakama) are in effect the other main characters - the people that travel with him and work together with him to do whatever it is he's doing. His 友達 are all the other people he knows and likes - the ones that he'll hang out with if he comes across them, but they're not constantly with him and they're off doing their own things.
    It's a distinction English doesn't make, so it's hard to think about when you're not used to it."

仲間( Nakama): People who share the same goal and work/struggle/fight together in a group or organization.
    友達(tomodachi) A friend. Something based on personal feelings of intimacy or affection. You don't have to do something special with your 友達. They can be someone you haven't met for a long time.
    You really need to stop being stubborn, you're entering a completely different ballgame when you get into Japanese. It doesn't work the same way as English does.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Two main reasons why I thought Jinbe could join.

2. SH need at least one more powerhouse to join them, seeing how enemies are getting stronger and stronger.

Having him properly introduced just solidified the thought.

It's not like it's a completely random prediction, either.
    This is why I don't see carrot joining.

Because she is the traitor She's not that strong, haven't even seen any Haki from her, what could she possibly add to the crew? We're at a stage now where Luffy is going to need people like Jinbei and that can add something to the crew. Not carrot waiting for her Sulong once a month.

Unless you can somehow create a moonlight device and go Sulong any time you want.

Ok now, you are breaching the realms of retardation. The real life stuff IS ALSO THE SAME. The reason it's translated to crewmate in English is because it's the word that fits the Japanese word. If you understand translating from Japanese to English or vice versa, you will find that there are words and phrases you cannot directly translate.

NOBODY in Japan uses the word Nakama to refer to a friend or a just a person you are cool with.

Hell, I even did research online to even show you:

You really need to stop being stubborn, you're entering a completely different ballgame when you get into Japanese. It doesn't work the same way as English does.

This is why I don't see carrot joining.

Because she is the traitor She's not that strong, haven't even seen any Haki from her, what could she possibly add to the crew? We're at a stage now where Luffy is going to need people like Jinbei and that can add something to the crew. Not carrot waiting for her Sulong once a month.

Unless you can somehow create a moonlight device and go Sulong any time you want.
    Is not the same.. and agaaaaain, the word crewmate is never been used.

Is not the same.. and agaaaaain, the word crewmate is never been used.
    Dude you presumably have 0 knowledge in Japanese and if you had any I would feel sorry for you.

Fun fact: Did you know there is no word for crewmate in Japanese?

"BuT nAkAmA mEaNs FrIeNd"

How about you put up a logical argument instead of writing one-liners pretending you actually understand what you are talking about.

What am I even saying, this isn't even a debatable topic.

Dude you presumably have 0 knowledge in Japanese and if you had any I would feel sorry for you.

Fun fact: Did you know there is no word for crewmate in Japanese?

"BuT nAkAmA mEaNs FrIeNd"

How about you put up a logical argument instead of writing one-liners pretending you actually understand what you are talking about.

What am I even saying, this isn't even a debatable topic.
    Ejem, even funnier fact; it's you who claimed Oda said several 'crewmates' were joining succesively.

And you claimed that well aware that there is no word for crewmate in Japanese... the joke tells itself.

Ejem, even funnier fact; it's you who claimed Oda said several 'crewmates' were joining succesively.

And you claimed that well aware that there is no word for crewmate in Japanese... the joke tells itself.
    Now you are just trolling.

Now you are just trolling.
    Check your earlier posts :/

Another fact is, that was said before the Grand Fleet happened and we're years away from that already, maybe even Oda himself already forgot that interview since it made reality with Cabbage, Barto, Sai and the others.

Oda used Nakama throughout the series, its meaning has been established as equivalent to crewmate. If Oda used the word Nakama in an interview then there shouldn't be a discussion about what he meant.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Oda used Nakama throughout the series, its meaning has been established as equivalent to crewmate. If Oda used the word Nakama in an interview then there shouldn't be a discussion about what he meant.
    Exactly my point. When Oda uses the word Nakama, it means crewmate. Anyone that has any form of translating experience, know they have to understand context when translating. Even without translation experience, just by understanding both English and Japanese, you would know what words to choose within the English or Japanese vocabulary. Whenever Oda uses the word Nakama, especially in the context of One Piece, it is unquestionable that it means crewmate.

As stupid as it is, Monquito said that Nakama means friend and Oda was just trying to use the "friend" meaning instead of the "crewmate" meaning to imply that in the interview Oda meant to say that Luffy will get a lot of "friends" successively. But that's not the word you use in Japanese when referring to friends like the ones from the grand fleet (the crux of his argument) yet he refuses to understand this. I quoted him below for your reference:

And considering how long that was said, its pretty obvious he was speaking of the Grand Fleet
    His argument is based on completely stupid statements that say;
    "Oda didn't specifically use the word crewmate". But that is NOT how Japanese works because there isn't a specific word for crewmate. Any translator, non-native decent speaker or Japanese will tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    But how do we figure with the original interview published in Chinese.

Can't you guys just agree to disagree or something? Neither of you is going to convince the other so this entire argument is pointless.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Exactly my point. When Oda uses the word Nakama, it means crewmate. Anyone that has any form of translating experience, know they have to understand context when translating. Even without translation experience, just by understanding both English and Japanese, you would know what words to choose within the English or Japanese vocabulary. Whenever Oda uses the word Nakama, especially in the context of One Piece, it is unquestionable that it means crewmate.

As stupid as it is, Monquito said that Nakama means friend and Oda was just trying to use the "friend" meaning instead of the "crewmate" meaning to imply that in the interview Oda meant to say that Luffy will get a lot of "friends" successively. But that's not the word you use in Japanese when referring to friends like the ones from the grand fleet (the crux of his argument) yet he refuses to understand this. I quoted him below for your reference:

His argument is based on completely stupid statements that say;
    "Oda didn't specifically use the word crewmate". But that is NOT how Japanese works because there isn't a specific word for crewmate. Any translator, non-native decent speaker or Japanese will tell you that.
    You're just stretching it out there.

So hard it is do admit said exact words never been used.

Jimbei officially joined at the end of Whole Cake Island
    Carrot will join at the end of Wano
    Smoker will join in the upcoming Vegapunk arc
    Vivi will return to the crew soon to escape the threat of Im

Rapid succession of crew mates joining
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

All I know is if they can just add Laboon (as the new official "pet" of the SH crew) Momo (a Jr. member like Roger had on his crew), Jinbe, Carrot, officially as nakama the Strawhats would feel complete to me and I'd never wish for another member.

May as well give Carrot a logia devil fruit while we're at it just to make her less bland and to make it so the Strawhats have at least one on the crew (not that it's necessary or anything).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information