View Poll Results: Who do you think will join?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tama

    4 3.28%
  • Carrot

    31 25.41%
  • Caribou

    7 5.74%
  • Momo

    0 0%
  • Kinemon

    1 0.82%
  • Hiyori

    3 2.46%
  • Bonney

    6 4.92%
  • Pekoms

    3 2.46%
  • Vivi

    11 9.02%
  • Kawamatsu

    10 8.20%
  • None of the above

    46 37.70%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 127 of 139 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 125 126 127 128 129 137 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 2772

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

  1. #2521

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by T]@$ View Post
    Can you guess who this person is thinking of as the next nakama?


    I think it is Pekoms. What do you say?
    He said its not a girl but reading this i immeddiately though at Pudding

  2. #2522

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Well, let's see how Carrot's story arc resolves itself. It bears repeating that Carrot initially joined the Sanji Retrieval Team willingly despite not being asked to, actively participated in the events of WCI, even saved the Straw Hats' lives in the process, and has seen her mentor kamikaze himself for their safety. Discounting the fact that Pedro's dream was to see the New Dawn (an event the Mink Tribe and the Kozuki clan have waited for over 300 years) and thought the best way to achieve that was to travel with Roger-and eventually Luffy-and has seemingly passed that off to Carrot, Carrot's circumstances as a side-character are very atypical.

    She wasn't a damsel in distress of the arc needing to be saved by Luffy and wasn't a one-off character. Oda is going to be doing something to her character and that is something that cannot be seen as trivial. Its there in the narrative, it just depends on what Oda does with it.

  3. #2523
    Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    XereX

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    than to just write her off.
    wow, New to One Piece?

    Kidding, but really if we made a list of characters that suddenly went out of focus.. well..

  4. #2524

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    My reasons for Carrot joining arent related to her relationship to the straw hats.

    I think that the next crewmember will eat the yuki-yuki no mi that is kept secret in the plot all this time. The snow-snow fruit fits the number pattern, the logia fruit gap, and is a fun ability in general.
    If we analyze potential people who will eat a Logia, I think Carrot fits perfectly.

    - No longer can swim - Probably not given to Nami or Jinbei for this reason
    - Doesn't already have Fruit Powers - this checks off characters like Tama and Kinemon
    - Synergy with Snow Fruit - Snow bunny attack fits her theme

    I just think this fits Carrot too perfectly. Whether it happens or not is up to ODA, since he can change an idea any time if people dont seem to like the story direction.

  5. #2525

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Shiebs, you forgot to mention Wicca in your list. For a short time she was heavily supported in here.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

  6. #2526

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Shiebs, you forgot to mention Wicca in your list. For a short time she was heavily supported in here.
    I knew I was forgetting someone

  7. #2527
    Arf. (ᵔᴥᵔ) FelRes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    It's 2019 and people still think Monet is dead. Amazing.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

  8. #2528
    21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Her current relevancy to the story is.

  9. #2529

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    Carrot's circumstances as a side-character are very atypical.
    Yea, it's really not. Plenty of side characters got this level of attention.

    In fact, the ONLY thing that made Carrot really stand out was the fact that she broke the gender barriers in the crew and joined Luffy for being excited about the adventure. That was quite literally the only thing that makes her stand out (though not super special since Vivi also had similar trait in Alabasta saga). Everything else about her character is simply typical Oda side character.

  10. #2530

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    What are the qualification standards to become a strawhat anymore anyway? I thought I had an idea of them awhile back, but Jinbe broke most of those for me. I kept thinking he had to either be getting killed off or he'd become some "Leader of the Grand Fleet" type and keep his crew. Him being unquestioningly a strawhat now told me idk what I'm talking about, so I just gave up and stopped thinking about it.

    I do like Carrot and would enjoy continued interactions with her on the crew, so as far as hopes go, she's mine. Wano has yet to make any of it's characters seem remotely likable enough for me to hope they join. Heck, I'd vote for Caesar before I'd vote for any of these guys/gals.

    I remember reading Perona theories ages ago on other sites, those were always entertaining and great reads. Surely she's gonna re-enter the main story once we see what happened with Moria and Blackbeard, right? I bet those theories start up again when that happens, should be fun.

  11. #2531

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Yea, it's really not. Plenty of side characters got this level of attention.

    In fact, the ONLY thing that made Carrot really stand out was the fact that she broke the gender barriers in the crew and joined Luffy for being excited about the adventure. That was quite literally the only thing that makes her stand out (though not super special since Vivi also had similar trait in Alabasta saga). Everything else about her character is simply typical Oda side character.
    Nah, her character arc really isn't over. Unresolved issue with the New Dawn is pretty much carrying this moving forward, Pedro's last words to Carrot, and the resolution to the conflict with Big Mom. Nah, she is pretty atypical.

  12. #2532

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcotty View Post
    What are the qualification standards to become a strawhat anymore anyway? I thought I had an idea of them awhile back, but Jinbe broke most of those for me. I kept thinking he had to either be getting killed off or he'd become some "Leader of the Grand Fleet" type and keep his crew. Him being unquestioningly a strawhat now told me idk what I'm talking about, so I just gave up and stopped thinking about it.

    I do like Carrot and would enjoy continued interactions with her on the crew, so as far as hopes go, she's mine. Wano has yet to make any of it's characters seem remotely likable enough for me to hope they join. Heck, I'd vote for Caesar before I'd vote for any of these guys/gals.

    I remember reading Perona theories ages ago on other sites, those were always entertaining and great reads. Surely she's gonna re-enter the main story once we see what happened with Moria and Blackbeard, right? I bet those theories start up again when that happens, should be fun.
    Honestly I don't think there are any hard rules other than being interesting additions to the crew. The cree is already so diverse and each new member challenges what we thought was a pattern before it. I think a lot of the patterns today are irrelevant.

    I don't even think an elaborate backstory or dream is needed at this point since we are moving to the end game. Now its about gaining allies, and with the grand fleet being a thing and Supernova alliances happening, theres less reason to need a new crewmember at all.

    At this point I think its just up to ODAs whims and fancy on adding anyone new to the crew. Anyone he introduces immediately gets overanalyzed as new Strawhat material, I can see why he would be hesitant developing any one character to be the next addition. In effect, there are no surprises left.

  13. #2533

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Honestly I don't think there are any hard rules other than being interesting additions to the crew. The cree is already so diverse and each new member challenges what we thought was a pattern before it. I think a lot of the patterns today are irrelevant.

    I don't even think an elaborate backstory or dream is needed at this point since we are moving to the end game. Now its about gaining allies, and with the grand fleet being a thing and Supernova alliances happening, theres less reason to need a new crewmember at all.

    At this point I think its just up to ODAs whims and fancy on adding anyone new to the crew. Anyone he introduces immediately gets overanalyzed as new Strawhat material, I can see why he would be hesitant developing any one character to be the next addition. In effect, there are no surprises left.
    I completely disagree.
    There are a few set rules concerning straw hats, every straw hat has a backstory, some bigger and smaller compared with each other, it is needed to set the foundation of the character. Even more important is their motive to actually join Luffy, how Luffy is needed to inspire them to push for their goals.
    I like to think of all the straw hats as protagonists in their own right, which is why I never see any typical side characters having a chance of joining, like Kinemon or Pekoms.

    Heres a few quotes that niftly sums up Odas ideas of what being a strawhat means.
    "every strawhat can become protagonist." Comickers(1998)''

    SBS Vol. 51: Believes the Straw Hats to be most represented by the word “unprecedented”
    SBS Vol. 51: Tries to write the Straw Hats as “unconventional








    I don't think any straw hat ever joined on a whim, and will never do.
    The closest one is Vivi, her and Law are the only ones who are almost like the other strawhats, but were created and become major characters on a whim, but they're not really strawhats as the others in the crew.

    Here is a sketch from before the serializing started I think.
    Spoiler:


    Some changes have been made, but we can still clearly see Brook is there, and he didn't show up in the manga until like 400 chapters in.
    The goofy bandana guy was the botanist and later become the archeologist, which then turned into Robin, and Usopp eventually got some botanist skills with his green pops.
    Franky is quite different, I believe either the small guy was the shipwright back then,but he seems to have merged with the early cybernetic Nami to become the franky we know today.

    Spoiler:


    And then we also got Jinbei being mentioned way back in east blue, so he definitely wasn't created on a whim, of course he doesn't show up in the early sketches because that would have been a spoiler.

    And considering Oda being inspired of the teambuilding in soccer, Luffy mentioning "I want at least 10 crewmembers" back in chapter one, and Blackbeard having 10 titan captains, I think it's certain we will have 11 strawhats including Luffy.
    Last edited by Solid; May 21st, 2019 at 01:39 AM.

  14. #2534
    Arf. (ᵔᴥᵔ) FelRes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I think the thing I want Oda to do the most after the series is over is to release a timeline of when he created characters and plot points and the changes he made to what he was originally gonna do. Ie "I decided to scrap botanist at this point because... but came up with Robin at this point, and decided on her future role before/after her first appearance. Thus the poneglyph idea came to mind at THIS point and then expanded on it with this here and then there..." I'm dying to know how much of the series major plot points were planned early on and when those smaller details popped up.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

  15. #2535

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    I completely disagree.
    There are a few set rules concerning straw hats, every straw hat has a backstory, some bigger and smaller compared with each other, it is needed to set the foundation of the character. Even more important is their motive to actually join Luffy, how Luffy is needed to inspire them to push for their goals.
    I like to think of all the straw hats as protagonists in their own right, which is why I never see any typical side characters having a chance of joining, like Kinemon or Pekoms.
    That is not a rule, that is simply a pattern applied to current and previous Strawhats. All things said, the backstory doesn't have to be given before being added to the Strawhat crew. It would be convenient, but is not necessary. There can be instances of a mysterious character being added to the crew.

    Also having a dream is wavy at this point, since so many characters do not have the same 'Greatest X' or 'Explore Y' goal as the others have. Brook broke the pattern. It is not a rule because it was never truly a rule in the first place, at least not one defined by Luffy or Oda. It just happens to be something the fans like to grasp onto. That being said, Jinbei is pretty much added to the crew and as far as we know, we haven't seen his dream or goal yet either. This means that a character, given enough popularity and support, can pretty much be a shoe in as a new crewmate without fulfilling fan needs for a backstory. I mean in terms of Jinbei, he's all-but-confirmed.

    Heres a few quotes that niftly sums up Odas ideas of what being a strawhat means.


    "every strawhat can become protagonist." Comickers(1998)''








    I don't think any straw hat ever joined on a whim, and will never do.
    Robin joined on a whim. Sure, Oda may have planned it from the beginning or whatever, but as far as the story goes she joined without much backstory or goal. By all means, to the audience, she joined on a whim and remained mysterious for an entire arc.

    And considering Oda being inspired of the teambuilding in soccer, Luffy mentioning "I want at least 10 crewmembers" back in chapter one, and Blackbeard having 10 titan captains, I think it's certain we will have 11 strawhats including Luffy.
    Honestly that doesn't matter. He could have planned the 11th character as far back as Romance Dawn, and it wouldn't change what I said. What I mean by his whims and fancy is that he could choose a type of character to add, but HOW that character evolves and ends up actually introduced is up to his whims and fancy.

    For instance, Robin could have been a plucky Archaeologist girl infiltrating Baroque Works, whose home town of Alabasta is being attacked, and she helps the Strawhats along the way with her fruit powers. That's not what we got. Robin wasn't Vivi. Robin was Miss All-sunday, a notorious criminal who has no direct ties to the Strawhats outside of a convenient dues-ex-machina of saving Luffy on a whim. And conveniently she decides to join by that same whim. The whole 'Luffy saved my life, I owe it to him' is just her up-front reasoning, but we know it's hollow words considering she just needed an excuse to leave Alabasta in retrospect. She started out fairly neutral plot-wise, and that's how I think ODA can write in any character he wants.

    We haven't had a character fit the Strawhat 'rules' since Franky. Brook and Robin are both examples of outliers, which may as well be the case for the 11th crewmember. The list of potential crewmates grows by each arc, and there's always the possibility of someone unexpected joining the crew at any time.

    Saying each character is capable of being a protagonist has very little meaning, because no matter who he adds, he can write them well enough that they could be protagonists. As an example, if he wanted to add Bellamy to the crew, Oda would change and developed the character to the point where he could be strawhat material. Look at how Vivi was introduced and how she turned into a strawhat ally. She was written and drawn in a way that you could say Miss Wednesday and Vivi were two completely different characters. That's what I mean by everything is up to Oda's whims and fancy. In one chapter, he turned Senor Pink into a heart-wrenching tragic character we want to sympathize with. The same goes for Brook's backstory, for Zoro's backstory, for Robin's backstory. It doesn't matter how we view characters on the outside right now, we simply don't know enough about any/every character to judge who is strawhat material and who isn't.

    Strawhat material is literally whatever Oda decides it to be. He can make any character protagonist material if he commits to it.

    We all think of Strawhats as pieces of a puzzle that has to fit together, but that simply isn't what they are or should be. A story is not a puzzle. If it were so easily predictable, then Oda would be doing a disservice to the spirit of storytelling. Stories are meant to be unpredictable. That's the entire spirit of adventure - not knowing how you're going to get there.

    It's like trying to predict who the next Avenger would be. Well there's no rule or reason. Anyone can be an Avenger given the circumstances of the story are adjusted to it. While I think the Strawhat crewmate title is very important and not something to be tossed around lightly, I do think people put it on too high-a-pedestal as though it has to be reserved for the most perfect character fit, when honestly it should simply be someone who adds dynamic to the rest of the characters.
    Last edited by Triceron; May 21st, 2019 at 03:22 PM.

  16. #2536

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Here is a sketch from before the serializing started I think.
    it's also worth noting that those sketches have an obviously erased area between Luffy and Zoro. That height chart in particular is drawn in a way that no one would ever draw it unless there was a third character back there. i won't be surprised at all if someday we get an unedited version of those sketches that has Jinbe in it.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Maybe he did want Kinemon to be a crewmember but the character just didn't pan out, so he created other characters like Carrot and Tama and is guaging how fans react. We simply don't know.
    Take one look at Jinbe's history in the character polls and you'll see that's clearly not the case.

    Oda doesn't bandwagon. He has a million characters, he can make new fan favorites in a hurry. look at how quickly Hancock, Law, Marco and Bart were top ranked. He doesn't care about that or else we'd have a very different looking crew by now.


    It doesn't matter how we view characters on the outside right now, we simply don't know enough about any/every character to judge who is strawhat material and who isn't.
    Not quite. There is a certain author approach that piles on how interesting and unique the character is in very short order. Yeah, the backstory surprises and depth can come in later, but Oda is very, very good at giving main characters strong and memorable first appearances, and giving them standout unique designs, even among his army of others.

    We all think of Strawhats as pieces of a puzzle that has to fit together, but that simply isn't what they are or should be. A story is not a puzzle. If it were so easily defineable by any given ruleset, then by all means Oda would be doing a disservice to the spirit of storytelling. Stories are meant to be unpredictable. That's the entire spirit of adventure - not knowing how you're going to get there.
    NOPE. If Oda is playing fair, and doing his job as a writer, then there are absolutely pieces to observe and notice. Sure, no one could possibly have fairly guessed at the time that Robin would join or that Garp is Luffy's grandfather or that Sanji is acutally part of a family of super assassins we'd never heard of before their introduction (but we COULD and DID guess that the guy that wanted him dead after Water 7 that was wearing a mask looked like his bounty poster!), but the clues and storytelling were in fact there. Robin had a unique introduction, a completely non-standard design, and an element of mystery to her, and very quickly in the arc it was clear she had something of an actual backstory and goals other than just being a minion. There was more to her. that didn't mean "Main character' necessarily, but it did indicate 'someone with a bigger story that will go beyond this arc."

    We weren't trained to look for it at the time because up till that point Oda had been super obvious about his next main character and Vivi was filling that role. But with even a little hindsight it's super obvious that Robin was being treated special... and knowing that now, and with another 15 years of material, its easier to look for the Author's style and writing habits and understand how he works and why he does what he does.

    Yeah, the story will be a surprise. but 'anything can happen just because' isn't good writing. And Oda almost always plays super fair except when he's explicitly hiding secrets.

    Long time readers have been able to predict the broad strokes of the series pretty accurately months or even years in advance. We very rarely know what will happen next week, or what powers or designs a new character will have,that's where the spontaneity and creativity and adventure come in, but the bigger parts of the story we can get because Oda plays fair with the clues and the world building.

    Also, theres a difference between die hard fans who overanalyze and talk about and study this stuff at length, and casual audience who doesn't think about it at all. What may be obvious or long accepted on a manga forum after years of discussion to come to a conclusion isn't always the same thing as what the casual audience that just tunes in once a week gets out of it.

    It's like trying to predict who the next Avenger would be.
    that's different because its a constantly shifting group with zero permanent members. Same as the X-men. There are no rules there, but there are for manga family members.
    Last edited by Robby; May 21st, 2019 at 03:47 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  17. #2537

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Take one look at Jinbe's history in the character polls and you'll see that's clearly not the case.
    I admit I don't follow polls, but what Ive observed is Odas ability to build hype on a character when he really wants to. Cept for the year of Sanji, I really don't know what happened there.

    Oda doesn't bandwagon. He has a million characters, he can make new fan favorites in a hurry. look at how quickly Hancock, Law, Marco and Bart were top ranked. He doesn't care about that or else we'd have a very different looking crew by now.
    I can agree with that.


    Not quite. There is a certain author approach that piles on how interesting and unique the character is in very short order. Yeah, the backstory surprises and depth can come in later, but Oda is very, very good at giving main characters strong and memorable first appearances, and giving them standout unique designs, even among his army of others.
    I agree with this too, though I dont know exactly what I said that would say otherwise. The thing I see is there being unique aspects to many, if not all he characters he creates, and that is why there are so many discussion about potential characters. If it werent so obvious what can be considered strawhat material and not strawhat material, then we wouldnt really have discussions at all. We would have a unanimous group or else a small group who happened to extrapolate correctly.


    NOPE. If Oda is playing fair, and doing his job as a writer, then there are absolutely pieces to observe and notice. Sure, no one could possibly have fairly guessed at the time that Robin would join or that Garp is Luffy's grandfather or that Sanji is acutally part of a family of super assassins we'd never heard of before their introduction (but we COULD and DID guess that the guy that wanted him dead after Water 7 that was wearing a mask looked like his bounty poster!), but the clues and storytelling were in fact there. Robin had a unique introduction, a completely non-standard design, and an element of mystery to her, and very quickly in the arc it was clear she had something of an actual backstory and goals other than just being a minion. There was more to her. that didn't mean "Main character' necessarily, but it did indicate 'someone with a bigger story that will go beyond this arc."

    We weren't trained to look for it at the time because up till that point Oda had been super obvious about his next main character and Vivi was filling that role. But with even a little hindsight it's super obvious that Robin was being treated special... and knowing that now, and with another 15 years of material, its easier to look for the Author's style and writing habits and understand how he works and why he does what he does.

    Yeah, the story will be a surprise. but 'anything can happen just because' isn't good writing. And Oda almost always plays super fair except when he's explicitly hiding secrets.

    Long time readers have been able to predict the broad strokes of the series pretty accurately months or even years in advance. We very rarely know what will happen next week, or what powers or designs a new character will have,that's where the spontaneity and creativity and adventure come in, but the bigger parts of the story we can get because Oda plays fair with the clues and the world building.
    Well let me pose a question - had Vivi joined the crew would we say she is not Strawhat material? While I agree that Oda certainly has a plan for who the strawhats ultimately are, what we know is only based on observation, and had Vivi joined, then our own perception of what a Strawhat is would change accordingly. We would then see Princess and Royalty as fair game as a strawhat. Of course, this did not happen and we have a pretty surefire indication that royalty would not join, but that is left to Oda to decide, not some precedent or pattern or rule we are left to guess at.

    Also, theres a difference between die hard fans who overanalyze and talk about and study this stuff at length, and casual audience who doesn't think about it at all. What may be obvious or long accepted on a manga forum after years of discussion to come to a conclusion isn't always the same thing as what the casual audience that just tunes in once a week gets out of it.
    To be fair, while there is plenty of subtlety and measured precision in Odas writing, especially in choice of strawhats, I don't think he is infallible as an author. Now I am not assuming he his this or that or indicating he gives in to popular demand, but its quite the opposite - we are privvy to his writing. Who would have guessed characters like Bellamy would get redemption? Was this planned from the start? Maybe yes but also maybe no. We don't get this type of heel-face turn often enough to know every 2 bit villain can get a redemption story. Some simply fade into obscurity.

    To bring this back to Strawhats, we can say that Jinbei was hinted at as potential Strawhat material from the beginning, but honestly that is something we can only apply retroactively. People felt Bartholomew Kuma could have also joined. And to be honest, if written differently, maybe at some point that could have been a possibility. We don't really know because the possibilities aren't really dismissable without already knowing what other strawhats or whatever character reveals we would get. I know Kuma is a cyborg and we already have a cyborg on crew, but we don't know the extent of character changes possible or planned. I mean we didnt even know he was a former king until recently. These reveals are absolute gamechangers, and I think all it takes for us to accept a strawhat is a matter of how badass Oda hypes them up to be. Like Jinbei - obscure Shichibukai who started at 110 popularity. Latest poll? 6th in popularity. My analysis? Oda made him badass before prepping him to be a future strawhat, ensuring his role there (if he survives).

    As for current listings, I personally would welcome Carrot into the group, I am open to the possibilities of other options too like Tama, Kinemon or even Pekoms. I don't play favourites, I am here to enjoy the story, not write it. But its fun to discuss who would be a fit and who wouldn't, and honestly I see more reason to apply characters as strawhat potentials than reasons to dismiss them based on our observations. Retroactive application is the only means we have of guessing the next strawhat, or else we would unanimously know who it already is. At this point, we are kinda just waiting for that 'strawhat moment' to reach our preferred characters.

    that's different because its a constantly shifting group with zero permanent members. Same as the X-men. There are no rules there, but there are for manga family members
    I will admit it was a poor example.
    Last edited by Triceron; May 21st, 2019 at 10:37 PM.

  18. #2538

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    That is not a rule, that is simply a pattern applied to current and previous Strawhats. All things said, the backstory doesn't have to be given before being added to the Strawhat crew. It would be convenient, but is not necessary. There can be instances of a mysterious character being added to the crew.

    Also having a dream is wavy at this point, since so many characters do not have the same 'Greatest X' or 'Explore Y' goal as the others have. Brook broke the pattern. It is not a rule because it was never truly a rule in the first place, at least not one defined by Luffy or Oda. It just happens to be something the fans like to grasp onto. That being said, Jinbei is pretty much added to the crew and as far as we know, we haven't seen his dream or goal yet either. This means that a character, given enough popularity and support, can pretty much be a shoe in as a new crewmate without fulfilling fan needs for a backstory. I mean in terms of Jinbei, he's all-but-confirmed.
    Brooks dream is a promise of achieving something, not too unlike how Zoros dream (and Tamas xD) was reinforced with his promise to Kuina., a dream doesn't have to be explore y or greatest Y, its just a motiviation for sailing with Luffy.
    And we have seen Jinbeis dream, true freedom for the fishmen and mermen.
    Spoiler:




    Robin joined on a whim. Sure, Oda may have planned it from the beginning or whatever, but as far as the story goes she joined without much backstory or goal. By all means, to the audience, she joined on a whim and remained mysterious for an entire arc.



    Honestly that doesn't matter. He could have planned the 11th character as far back as Romance Dawn, and it wouldn't change what I said. What I mean by his whims and fancy is that he could choose a type of character to add, but HOW that character evolves and ends up actually introduced is up to his whims and fancy.
    I thought you meant Oda could change his mind and have any character join on a whim without planning it, like becoming a SH is not a big deal lol.


    We haven't had a character fit the Strawhat 'rules' since Franky. Brook and Robin are both examples of outliers, which may as well be the case for the 11th crewmember. The list of potential crewmates grows by each arc, and there's always the possibility of someone unexpected joining the crew at any time.
    But they still all have a background and a future goal, Oda just changed up the narrative to make it more interesting and less predictable, and that is why we are even discussing the new nakama in this thread xD

    "He initially wanted to finish One Piece in 5 years and progress the story like an RPG game. However, he realized that characters in stories are actual people and unless there was some intense event, they won't be convinced to help or join Luffy's crew. Likewise with enemies, there has got to be a reason for the enemy to hate Luffy so much. Character development was his biggest reason on why One Piece lasts long."

  19. #2539

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Well let me pose a question - had Vivi joined the crew would we say she is not Strawhat material?
    No, because she would have joined the crew. Oda would have written things differently or treated her in a different way, or have planned her debut more strongly. But she did had traits that differentiated herself from Nami, a unique haircolor, a personal dream, a tomboyish nature, she would have been fine. No Franky, but fine.

    What ifs like that are unfair though. That's like asking "What if Jonny and Yosaku had joined?" That's not what Oda wrote or how he handled the character, so trying to imagine how he would have done it vastly different over the course of 15 years is a crazy errand.

    Who would have guessed characters like Bellamy would get redemption?
    Anyone that paid even the slightest bit of attention to all the other villain cover stories?

    Was this planned from the start? Maybe yes but also maybe no. We don't get this type of heel-face turn often enough to know every 2 bit villain can get a redemption story. Some simply fade into obscurity.
    And a very, very large number of them get cover stories and full blown redemptions or career changes.

    Pretty much only the unforgivable parent killers don't get second chances. And Foxy.

    But no, lots of the small details and tertiary characters weren't planned in advance, the story grows in the telling. Oda didn't have every last detail planned from the start, thats why we're entering decade three instead of the series being done in year five.

    To bring this back to Strawhats, we can say that Jinbei was hinted at as potential Strawhat material from the beginning, but honestly that is something we can only apply retroactively.
    Go back to earlier versions of this thread. He had an extremely convincing argument before he ever even appeared on camera. Based on story presentation and place and how Oda handled him, not on just personally liking the character or his design or personality.
    People felt Bartholomew Kuma could have also joined.
    And they were were wrong for a variety of reasons. There's guessing and then there's educated guessing.

    ]And to be honest, if written differently, maybe at some point that could have been a possibility. We don't really know because the possibilities aren't really dismissable without already knowing what other strawhats or whatever character reveals we would get. I know Kuma is a cyborg and we already have a cyborg on crew, but we don't know the extent of character changes possible or planned.
    No, but we can get a clear perception of how Oda is trying to sell a new character very quickly. Yeah, every character in the series can grow and become more, but it's not Oda's style to completely hide everything about a lead for more than a couple chapters.

    As for current listings, I personally would welcome Carrot into the group, I am open to the possibilities of other options too like Tama, Kinemon or even Pekoms. I don't play favourites, I am here to enjoy the story, not write it. But its fun to discuss who would be a fit and who wouldn't, and honestly I see more reason to apply characters as strawhat potentials than reasons to dismiss them based on our observations. Retroactive application is the only means we have of guessing the next strawhat, or else we would unanimously know who it already is. At this point, we are kinda just waiting for that 'strawhat moment' to reach our preferred characters.
    It's not any of those characters. We'll know em when we see them. Unless Oda is doing a straight up Robin repeat where he's reeeeeally hiding his intentions, It won't be hard to tell. It won't need three years of debate, or constnat claims of "they could become better in the future" it'll have a strong argument pretty fast and a rock solid argument within a few chapters.
    Last edited by Robby; May 22nd, 2019 at 06:08 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  20. #2540

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Spoiler:



    How fitting that Tama that is one generation younger Luffy, perfect apprentice on the crew.



    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    I also found this interesting;

    "I was going to finish ONE PIECE within 5 years.
    Every crew joins before Grand Line. (1- 1.5 year)
    Great adventure (3 years)
    Final arc (1 year)" Sound Recording (2012)"

    Hopefully this mean at least that we will have all the crewmembers before the final parts of one piece begins, then ideally the last one should join in wano.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Now this is a huge stretch, I know, but its all fun and games anyway.

    Spoiler:



    Purple-haired girl with minions and centaurs from before one piece was started, Luffy asking a centaur to join, Tama shows up with minion based powers and riding a centaur. xD

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts