+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

  1. #1
    I'm a bad boy! ;) Nitwit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Warship Island

    Question Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    This is not something of a fight or just a thread to troll people online with. I wanna know if you guys believe that One Piece as a fandom in the anime is better-suited watching than reading a black and white manga. Does the anime give fans a better entertainment time when you feel like your there than reading the manga? And what is it like for manga fans to read the manga and do you guys respect anime fans the same way anime fans respect manga fans? I really wanna know in the comments of this thread.
    I'm NOT a doggy. I am a creature from another world.

  2. #2
    Biggu Mammu-chan Miss Saturday's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Whole Cake Chateau

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    What are you asking here? If the anime FANDOM is better or if watching the anime is a better experience than reading the manga? Cause if it's the latter, then that's a hard no.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    The manga readers naturally know much more about the series, because of anime-only watchers missing hundreds of pages of sometimes quite important cover stories. And the fact that if you only watch the anime, you can never be quite sure what's filler or not.

    The anime-only watchers are fun to get HYPE with. The OP anime community is quite big. It's fun to get excited with them, but if I feel like actually discussing the series, I'm always gonna go with the OGs, the manga readers.

    Really the best way, right now, is just to do both, because the anime's quite a lot better right now than at any point post-ts. But it can never exactly adapt the manga, and some panels -- even with the anime being great now -- they just don't get right.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    I actually hate discussing the manga,and the anime only people tend to have more patience for short comings so I choose the anime crowd.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    I think it's pretty arrogant to even put the fandom into two groups to begin with.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    I think it's pretty arrogant to even put the fandom into two groups to begin with.
    I agree. It presumes that there's little to no overlap between anime watchers and manga readers.

  7. #7
    Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Out there

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    I think it's pretty arrogant to even put the fandom into two groups to begin with.
    Amen. I got into the franchise through the anime and the elitist insinuations I've seen over the years that liking it somehow makes you less of a fan is insulting.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  8. #8
    Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    At a desk, making something

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    Yeah I do both. 4 different groups if you count them all (scanned manga discussion, official Viz manga discussion, new anime episodes, and rewatching the dub as it's released)

  9. #9
    Arf. (ᵔᴥᵔ) FelRes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    I'm gonna be more honest and say that the anime-only fans who refuse to touch the manga are by far the worst section of the fanbase. Sure most of us started with the anime, but we picked up the source material eventually. Some even continue with the anime, whether consistently or just every now and then, and that's fine. But if you refuse to read simply because you can't deal with black and white or no voices, then jesus christ. Even worse is that they completely miss out on tons of material like cover stories, SBS, supplemental materials, etc and are apparently okay with that. That's like where half the really interesting stuff in this series even comes up. Then mangawise, you have to deal with people coming up with terrible theories and people who have apparently never followed any sort of fiction previously and thus can't predict really obvious things and then it's like you might as well go talk to your nephew about what book he's reading in 4th grade English because that would be more enlightening than the never-improving ESL forum poster who has tv tropes open in three other tabs.

    Of course you can start subdividing the fanbase even further. People who prefer plot, worldbuilding, and good characters and people who prefer fighting, cool moves, and "epic" scenes. But in the end the only good fans, anime or manga, are the ones who have Franky as their favorite Straw Hat so let's just leave it at that.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    Anime audience is generally younger, anga audience is generally older. It's to be expected but general the anime-only fans have no chill/really immature. One particular video I uploaded has hundreds of comments attacking China because they censored a Film Gold, the funny thing is that most of them don't realize they're watching a something directed at a younger audience.

    Saying that, nobody can really generalize an entire fanbase.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    Not trying to sound like a manga elitist, but just being honest among friends: I definitely feel disappointed when I meet an IRL OP fan if I find out they're anime only. It's like getting an order of fries with no ketchup, or coffee without cream, or a diet drink when you wanted regular; some of what I want is there, but it's just a little off.
    My TOP 25 most excellent​ characters! - Usopp, Luffy, Blackbeard, Robin, Crocodile, Nami, Zoro, Ivankov, Buggy, Mr. 2, Big Mom, Sanji, Franky, Magellan, Kizaru, Brook, Kureha, Barto, Kokoro, Whitebeard, Hiriluk, Aokiji, Jinbe, Belle-Mere, and Iceberg

  12. #12

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPecans View Post
    Not trying to sound like a manga elitist, but just being honest among friends: I definitely feel disappointed when I meet an IRL OP fan if I find out they're anime only. It's like getting an order of fries with ketchup, or coffee with cream; some of what I want is there, but it's just heavily altered.
    I fixed it for you because c'mon.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I fixed it for you because c'mon.
    I was so worried about being a manga elitist, that I exposed myself to a coffee elitist...and a ketchup hater!

    But I did​ lol
    My TOP 25 most excellent​ characters! - Usopp, Luffy, Blackbeard, Robin, Crocodile, Nami, Zoro, Ivankov, Buggy, Mr. 2, Big Mom, Sanji, Franky, Magellan, Kizaru, Brook, Kureha, Barto, Kokoro, Whitebeard, Hiriluk, Aokiji, Jinbe, Belle-Mere, and Iceberg

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    The anime really isn't heavy altered. There's filler added, minor details and order of events are changed, but the experience and information given by the anime is just the same as the manga. People will talk all day about "impact of fights" and whatnot and there are a few examples of fight screw-ups I would agree with but ultimately to say the anime watcher somehow gets an altered story is pushing it.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    I thought that a coffee elitist drinks it pure with no sugar and no cream.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    The anime really isn't heavy altered. There's filler added, minor details and order of events are changed, but the experience and information given by the anime is just the same as the manga. People will talk all day about "impact of fights" and whatnot and there are a few examples of fight screw-ups I would agree with but ultimately to say the anime watcher somehow gets an altered story is pushing it.
    I'm not hating on the anime, but it does change the perception of a lot of stuff because of added scenes (like Mihawk defeating Jimbe in Marineford) and changing the presentation of stuff that actually happened.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Is the current One Piece anime fandom better than the Manga fandom?

    I disagree on that because the two had a skirmish at best and never went full out, which is what happens with a lot of these added scenes. Also the anime actually improves the presentation of material that was skipped entirely or severely glazed over by Oda in many cases so the argument can be made on both ends.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts