+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matt Groening's Disenchantment

Discovered Stowaway

Default Matt Groening's Disenchantment

Has anyone watched this on Netflix yet? I've only caught about 4 episodes but I already like it a lot, it's got a lot of similarity to Futurama but despite being in a universe where magic exists, it doesn't seem to have the feeling of exploring the limitless reaches of the universe like Futurama had. But it's undeniably using Futurama as a template; it's got the strong, masculine female protagonist, the doofy fish-out-of-water male sidekick who has the hots for her but can't bring himself to say it to her (yet), and the third wheel who really doesn't do much other than harass everybody for his own amusement and partake in the kind of indulgences that would harm normal humans but because he isn't human, it doesn't do that to him. It's like they swapped out which of the two leads in Futurama is the actual main character (Leela instead of Fry in this case) and considering the differences between them now even more exaggerated than a cyclops mutant and a blast from the past, it does make sense to have that dynamic shifted. But Bender being a demon instead of a robot is still Bender.

It's a lot of fun, and feels like they kind of thing they could have done years ago if they hadn't brought Futurama back to life. What would be nice would be to see Katey Sagal return since basically everybody else (except Lauren Tom and Phil LaMarr) from Futurama is still around for this one.

I'm not sure if it's completely exclusive to Netflix or if they're going to give it a DVD release so hopefully everyone has a chance to see it without having to shell out for a subscription if they don't already have one.

Default Re: Matt Groening's Disenchantment

Yep, I watched it a few weeks ago. Bumpy start that shows a fair amount of promise, especially towards the end. It's distinctly more plot-driven than Groening's previous series and that translates somewhat to lighter on the jokes. It also means some of the characters are pretty underutilized (Luci in particular) since the focus is so heavily on the two leads.

There's enough potential for me to watch a second season, and I'd advise anyone who's struggling with the muddled tone of the first few middle episodes to watch until the end before making up their minds.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

I've watched a little of it, and it was....okay. But I'll give it promise.

Discovered Stowaway

Indeed, the potential is very high with this one. I think only 10 episodes are available yet, but I'm not sure if the 20 they have ordered all are part of the first entire season.

My impression was that 10 was the whole season. It certainly ends on that sort of note.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    My impression was that 10 was the whole season. It certainly ends on that sort of note.
    Damn. I hate when seasons of anything are less than 13 episodes. I always feel cheated when buying the DVDs since it's usually the same price even if you get twice as many episodes of one show than another.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information