+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Matt Groening's Disappointment

Discovered Stowaway

Default Matt Groening's Disappointment

Has anyone watched this on Netflix yet? I've only caught about 4 episodes but I already like it a lot, it's got a lot of similarity to Futurama but despite being in a universe where magic exists, it doesn't seem to have the feeling of exploring the limitless reaches of the universe like Futurama had. But it's undeniably using Futurama as a template; it's got the strong, masculine female protagonist, the doofy fish-out-of-water male sidekick who has the hots for her but can't bring himself to say it to her (yet), and the third wheel who really doesn't do much other than harass everybody for his own amusement and partake in the kind of indulgences that would harm normal humans but because he isn't human, it doesn't do that to him. It's like they swapped out which of the two leads in Futurama is the actual main character (Leela instead of Fry in this case) and considering the differences between them now even more exaggerated than a cyclops mutant and a blast from the past, it does make sense to have that dynamic shifted. But Bender being a demon instead of a robot is still Bender.

It's a lot of fun, and feels like they kind of thing they could have done years ago if they hadn't brought Futurama back to life. What would be nice would be to see Katey Sagal return since basically everybody else (except Lauren Tom and Phil LaMarr) from Futurama is still around for this one.

I'm not sure if it's completely exclusive to Netflix or if they're going to give it a DVD release so hopefully everyone has a chance to see it without having to shell out for a subscription if they don't already have one.

Default Re: Matt Groening's Disenchantment

Yep, I watched it a few weeks ago. Bumpy start that shows a fair amount of promise, especially towards the end. It's distinctly more plot-driven than Groening's previous series and that translates somewhat to lighter on the jokes. It also means some of the characters are pretty underutilized (Luci in particular) since the focus is so heavily on the two leads.

There's enough potential for me to watch a second season, and I'd advise anyone who's struggling with the muddled tone of the first few middle episodes to watch until the end before making up their minds.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

I've watched a little of it, and it was....okay. But I'll give it promise.

Discovered Stowaway

Indeed, the potential is very high with this one. I think only 10 episodes are available yet, but I'm not sure if the 20 they have ordered all are part of the first entire season.

My impression was that 10 was the whole season. It certainly ends on that sort of note.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    My impression was that 10 was the whole season. It certainly ends on that sort of note.
    Damn. I hate when seasons of anything are less than 13 episodes. I always feel cheated when buying the DVDs since it's usually the same price even if you get twice as many episodes of one show than another.

Watched the first two episodes last night. Yeah, something is just really off about the timing and presentation in this show. To start, the main cast just...aren't that interesting as characters. And then there are a lot of moments where you can tell they were trying to get a laugh, but the jokes don't really land and there's this awkward dead air kind of feeling. And that opening theme is so bland and forgettable compared to Simpsons and Futurama.

That said, there were a few jokes that definitely embodied the class Matt Groening style humor and made me laugh out loud. And I've heard it gets better so I'll continue to watch.

We talked about this over in the non-Disney animation thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Just finished marathoning this on Netflix. Was worried because the reviews are all negative, but its basically the entire Futurama team so I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The first few episodes were... not good.

Then the ones in the middle were actually pretty funny.

And then the last few episodes were... what the hell, where are they going with this?

So slow start and I'm interested to see where they go with season 2.

The big problem with the show at this point is Bean is the only interesting character. Elfo is pretty insufferable, and the demon sidekick is so Bender-lite I don't even remember his name.

But Futurama had a slow start too and a lot of the characters were kind of empty. And this show sort of pulls the Venture Brothers trick near the end where all the random crap comes together into something bigger, so it might grow into something more given time.
    Last edited by Robby; October 3rd, 2018 at 11:36 AM.

Discovered Stowaway

I do think Luci could do a bit more, but I remember Bender having a change in personality from the first episode to the rest of the series (why would a robot who chants 'Kill All Humans' while he sleeps want to commit suicide over knowing that his bending work was for making suicide booths?)

Anyone know if there's going to be another run of episodes? I want to see how things wrap up with that crazy cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Anyone know if there's going to be another run of episodes? I want to see how things wrap up with that crazy cliffhanger.
    It's generally assumed Netflix ordered at least two seasons at once so production could be going on season 2 and there wouldn't be a huge gap between seasons (same with Dragon Prince), because there's a big difference between having a 5 month gap and having an 18 month gap... and also because both shows ended on the kind of cliffhangers you generally only do if you're certain you're getting more... but there's been no official word on either show at this point.

Discovered Stowaway

Well, as long as they do at least a finale to resolve the cliffhanger, I'll be cool even if the second season is only the length of one of the Futurama movies.

Netflix has officially updated the card to say "new episodes coming in 2019."

So, second season confirmed. Hopefully they've found their footing and the show is good from here.

Discovered Stowaway

That's longer than I want to wait, but it feels like it'll be worth it. Really hoping for a good payoff to that cliffhanger.

Eh, that could be as early as January. I don't feel like they'd announce more are coming on the site if it was too far off.

I personally really liked it a lot, even Elfo. I remember Futurama not exactly blowing people away when it first came out as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

I mean, I was 10 or 11 at the time, but I remember really being into Futurama right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I personally really liked it a lot, even Elfo. I remember Futurama not exactly blowing people away when it first came out as well.

Futurama's main issue was scheduling and Fox hating the show. (They didn't like suicide booths or ZOidberg for instance, and had copious notes that Simpsons wasn't allowed to get.) . Rather than just gluing it to Simpsons and never letting it leave its side like they should have, (something they DID do for King of the Hill and Family Guy) they let it wander all over schedule and put it on TUESDAYS of all things, and then in the second season they briefly paired it with Simpsons and then moved it to like five in the afternoon where it could be interupted by sporting events.... so it could never pick up an audience.

Heck, the airing was so erratic they made "season five" out of season three and four episodes they'd never gotten around to airing. (This is not reflected on the dvd releases, they keep seasons three and four as intended.)

As soon as Cartoon Network started rerunning it in a regular and consistent slot and actually advertised it, it picked up a following in a hurry.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post

I remember the pilot episode having Bender's personality being a complete 180 from how it ended up being thereafter, and also his voice. Having him start out as the crass human-prejudiced kleptomaniac he would become would probably have worked better. Looks like they skipped that misdirection with Luci and had him just start out as the final Bender product.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    I remember the pilot episode having Bender's personality being a complete 180 from how it ended up being thereafter, and also his voice. Having him start out as the crass human-prejudiced kleptomaniac he would become would probably have worked better. Looks like they skipped that misdirection with Luci and had him just start out as the final Bender product.
    Well that's just natural development of the character and style of the show. It's really rare, especially in animated programs, that characters start out fully formed or like what they'll be 20 or 50 or 100 episodes later.

The voices especially tend to refine over time.

Don't ever try to watch the first handful of Kim Possible episodes after seeing anything from the later seasons. It's a completely different far inferior show in terms of pacing, snappiness and the characters. The core was there but...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information