+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 906: ''A Duel - The Magician and the Surgeon of Death!''

Default 906: ''A Duel - The Magician and the Surgeon of Death!''

Insert your own Yu-Gi-Oh! joke here.

Title: ''A Duel - The Magician and the Surgeon of Death!''
    Chapters Covered: half of 918
    Episode Director: Yasunori Koyama (***1/2)
    Animation Director: Shigefumi Shingaki (**1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 906: ''A Duel - The Magician and the Surgeon of Death!''

One Piece Episode 907 Preview - Romance Dawn

Law vs Hawkins - Episode 906

Last edited by thaihoa91; October 12th, 2019 at 06:26 PM.

A largely enjoyable episode.

Fukuzawa's board was great, and the direction and music placement was consistently solid throughout the episode. I liked how they expanded on the duel between Hawkins and Law by making sure the action realistically flowed better between scenes.

Animation wise, Ishizuka and Kojima(can't believe he showed up twice in a row) were the absolute highlights(handling Luffy's stamp on the gifter and Ace's fire fist respectively), and while there were plenty of snippets of nice action scattered throughout the episode, those two were the best. Tu Yong Ce handled the "second round" of the fight against Hawkins, with him animating the rotation around Law, and the clash, a bit of a conservative scene from him, but I will give him credit for the clash itself, which had some nice effects, and some really nice smears.

Overall, largely solid episode.

Romance Dawn next week. Should be a nice getaway.

Was an overall good episode, while there was a lot of nice animation sprinkled throughout(mainly Ace's hiken, Luffy's stamp and the Law+Hawkins fight), the pacing felt a little weaker when compared to last week(mainly with how the filler during the first half was handled and the events after Holdem's defeat).

Next week's Romance Dawn adpatation doesn't seem to have anything going againts it and because of it and the other break at 3/11 the next two Wano episodes will also probably be sound.

Edit: Also, it's pretty funny to me that whenever the anime needed filler during the Hawkins portion and Bakura town episodes we kept seeing Luffy and/or Zoro fighting a bunch of weak foes over and over again, while understandable I think it's getting a bit old.
    Last edited by Greenness; October 13th, 2019 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenness View Post
    Was an overall good episode, while there was a lot of nice animation sprinkled throughout(mainly Ace's hiken, Luffy's stamp and the Law+Hawkins fight), the pacing felt a little weaker when compared to last week(mainly with how the filler during the first half was handled and the events after Holdem's defeat).
    Yeah I definitely disagree with that, this episode was definitely more eventful this week than last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenness View Post
    Next week's Romance Dawn adpatation doesn't seem to have anything going againts it and because of it and the other break at 3/11 the next two Wano episodes will also probably be sound.
    A break doesn't automatically mean that the episodes coming right after are gonna be automatically better or anything, but it's rather gonna have a positive impact on the schedule in the long run, since logically speaking 1 week off still means more time for certain episodes.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalDragon View Post
    Yeah I definitely disagree with that, this episode was definitely more eventful this week than last week.
    Actually, after thinking about it you're probably right, I think that after those two pretty lackluster weeks last episode just seemed better in my mind, so I expected a lot more from this one.
    So I'll correct myself and say that take the events I mentioned as general compliants and not for comparison sake.
    A break doesn't automatically mean that the episodes coming right after are gonna be automatically better or anything
    Oh of course, I didn't mean that the episodes were guranteed to be better, but that the chances for them to be good are higher, there could always be screw ups or bad buisness practices that could interfare, but like you said:
    it's rather gonna have a positive impact on the schedule in the long run, since logically speaking 1 week off still means more time for certain episodes.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

I was surprised at how relatively stacked this episode was animation-wise, featuring pretty much all of the regular action animators sans Tomita. But the real surprise was Takashi Kojima showing up two episodes in a row! Meanwhile, closer to home, with the flashy impacts and now cubical debris, Ishizuka really is becoming One Piece's Yutaka Nakamura. I kinda wish some more of that flair was given to Law. vs. Hawkins tho.

So overall a more enjoyable episode than the last few, though that awful cliffhanger due to the anime becoming wedded to the idea of not covering full chapters was physically painful. It felt like a personal attack on me.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

All positive on this episode; great storyboarding and the pacing was back to early Wano; the last five episodes or so have been really rough pacing.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information