+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: New One Piece Movie "Stampede" (August 2019)

Default Re: New One Piece Movie "Stampede" (August 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mario time View Post
    the only thing i hate about the time skip is that these new world arcs are getting longer i mean oda wasted too much time on dressrosa
    next year will be the 10th anniversary since the time skip and we still on the 5th island
    We'll probably end the journey in what, three? Four islands yet? I can even see the adventure end over just Elbaf and Laugh Tale.
    Prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    I would love a team of allosaurus, spinosaurus, pterodactyl, branchiosaurus, triceratops and ankylosaurus, keeping the T-Rex one for King and megalodon for Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    In general, much of this is explained by the lack of spotlight into non-Luffy strawhats ever since the time skip, as well as excessive numbers of secondary characters. A good example of that is the second act of Wano as a whole. I feel like lot of situations that should be handled by a particular strawhat is being handled by a secondary character or being monopolized by Luffy (fights).

The strawhats sometimes are luxury background characters.
    Oda lost his touch in that aspect. What made One Piece great is more than the adventure and the world building, it was the chemistry and the dynamics of the Straw Hats, along with how they were utilized each arc.
    Now you can remove certain strawhats in certain arcs and nothing changes.
    Maybe it's an ego thing when your franchise gets so big and everyone just praise you like some kind of god, you're never really stuck in writing because everything you write is automatically really good now without even trying.
    Thing is, the straw hats besides the selected few has become caricatures of themselves and how Oda has been handling them now is many times worse than before.

In return, he uses the panel time to hype up stuff that will sell and to as much as possible cram complicated plotlines and side character arcs(not strawhats) into one island.
    There's possibly two reasons why he has been doing this so often and why it is so apparent now, mainly because he doesn't think he can do wrong or that he can ever be flawed in handling characters.
    Which is why he cram so many of them and tie all of them up in one island. It's more of a checklist that lacks the heart and soul it used to have and because he is so used to doing it, characters become one liners or a list of traits to him instead of feeling more like real actual personalities. That also carries over to how he handles the straw hats.
    He has this granduer vision of his storyline and his world building that he has to(or perhaps forgotten) sacrifice character writing in return.

But he's also sharp, in the sense that he knows its human nature to enjoy emotional drama. So now occasionally he drops a backstory or two or create an emotional chapter to balance things out.

I'm not saying he is failing at his grand story but I'm just saying I'm having a ton more fun reading the pre-timeskip arcs with the rich interactions than the flashiness of the new world arcs.

So whats the name or link to Greg's youtube channel?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Oda lost his touch in that aspect. What made One Piece great is more than the adventure and the world building, it was the chemistry and the dynamics of the Straw Hats, along with how they were utilized each arc.
    I think this a believable and logical thing for an author to do. At the end of the day, there's just no way that a crew of 9 people can be influencing the world as much as the SH were doing, especially if you take into account that most of their enemies are part of really large organizations/crews.

At some point, it would not be believable to have the SH be the sole reasons for change.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

New.

Spoiler film Stampede.

Luffy vs bullet.

http://sendvid.com/5i9e7wou

+

Zoro vs fujitora

http://sendvid.com/zqkislhj

Source : onepiece_university

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by EBRAHEM.EMADI View Post
    New.

Spoiler film Stampede.

Luffy vs bullet.

http://sendvid.com/5i9e7wou

+

Zoro vs fujitora

http://sendvid.com/zqkislhj

Source : onepiece_university
    https://youtu.be/fkg3LDTIu_Y

https://youtu.be/LJ1HFwJy_QU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgdcUsZL8Y
    Last edited by EBRAHEM.EMADI; August 15th, 2019 at 02:14 PM.

Maybe it's an ego thing when your franchise gets so big and everyone just praise you like some kind of god, you're never really stuck in writing because everything you write is automatically really good now without even trying.
    Thing is, the straw hats besides the selected few has become caricatures of themselves and how Oda has been handling them now is many times worse than before.

In return, he uses the panel time to hype up stuff that will sell and to as much as possible cram complicated plotlines and side character arcs(not strawhats) into one island.
    There's possibly two reasons why he has been doing this so often and why it is so apparent now, mainly because he doesn't think he can do wrong or that he can ever be flawed in handling characters.
    Which is why he cram so many of them and tie all of them up in one island. It's more of a checklist that lacks the heart and soul it used to have and because he is so used to doing it, characters become one liners or a list of traits to him instead of feeling more like real actual personalities. That also carries over to how he handles the straw hats.
    He has this granduer vision of his storyline and his world building that he has to(or perhaps forgotten) sacrifice character writing in return.

But he's also sharp, in the sense that he knows its human nature to enjoy emotional drama. So now occasionally he drops a backstory or two or create an emotional chapter to balance things out.

I'm not saying he is failing at his grand story but I'm just saying I'm having a ton more fun reading the pre-timeskip arcs with the rich interactions than the flashiness of the new world arcs.
    I agree with a great deal of this. Some excellent points made here.

Greg, how do people in Japan feel about Post Time Skip stuff? Do they care as much as we foreigners do about the handling of recent arcs and what do they see as flaws?

Cool Re: New One Piece Movie "Stampede" (August 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    Any summaries of Volume 10089 that was given out?
    Hi.
    http://forums.arlongpark.net/showthr...=1#post3997118
    +
    Spoiler:

By : etenboby
    In forums : orojackson

Top Secret Notes of “One Piece Stampede”:
    【Life of Douglas Bullet】
    “You’re the strongest when you’re alone!!”
    “You’re strong because you’re alone!!”

Age 0(45 years ago):
    •Born in the “Country Where War Never Ends” in the “Grand Line”
    •His parents belong to the enemy state; he was abandoned by his mother early on and became an orphan
    •Found and raised by the army of the enemy military state “Gartzburg”, “GartzForce”
    【「GF」on the Armband】
    Bullet was found by the Gartzburg army “GartzForce”. The 「GF」on his armband is to show his old place GartzForce.

Age 1~8 ( 44~37 years ago):
    •He is strictly trained as a child soldier under a commander of “GartzForce”, Douglas Gray, and he was only given the minimum amount of supplies to live.
    •His main tasks were to be used a “sacrifice piece”, such as walking through minefield as vanguard, and participating in mission that requires him to carry a bomb and blaze a trail.
    【Origin of His Name】
    In the army they called all the child soldiers, who were treated as pellets, “Bullet”. They also organize the child soldiers with number, Bullet is “Number 9”, and his Commander’s name is Douglas. “The 9th Bullet of Douglas Troop”...That’s the origin of the name, Douglas Bullet.
    •They have the reward system in which the person who earn the most feats of war on the battlefield will be rewarded with a “Medal”(service ribbon).
    •A child as he was, Bullet, who was not given anything aside from weapons, desired to earn the “Medal”.
    •There can only be one winner of the “Medal”. With his genius-like combat abilities, Bullet was very active on the battlefield up to the point that he almost achieved his goal, but then he was betrayed by his comrades, he didn’t get the “Medal” and he was severely injured.
    •“You’re way too strong...! You monster...!”
    The reason for this betrayal was “Bullet’s strength”. He was even persecuted by the child soldiers who grew up in the same environment as him.
    •He rounded up all the child soldiers who betrayed and persecuted him, and seized the medal. He realized that the reasons for his failure were his carelessness, pride and his weakness to believe in his allies.
    •Supplies, tactics, strength... Bullet, after learning from his mistakes, uses all of them for “his own victories” without any hesitation, he earned the “Medal” one after another. He remains undefeated.

Age 9~13 (36~32 years ago):
    •Demonstrating his “strength of one”, he’s a unparalleled hero on the battlefield. He became the strongest child soldier.
    •The more he wins, the more he can act as he likes. He felt a sense of fulfillment and that he’s truly alive, and he felt that he’s free.
    •Being strong let you survive and give you freedom. He begins to feel that being strong gives him a reason to live.
    •One day when he reached his limit on the battlefield, due to exhaustion and hunger, he discovered and ate a*devil fruit, “Gasha-Gasha Fruit”. He survived because of that and his strength became more unwavering.

Age 14 (31 years ago):
    •Thanks to the effort of Bullet, the hero of the war, the war was near its end.
    •Bullet’s commander Douglas Gray was promoted to “General” because of Bullet’s feats.
    •General Douglas treated Bullet differently because of the possible benefits that he can bring.
    “Bullet, I think of you as my own son...! After we win this war, I’ll welcome you into the upper officials of the army, I’ll release you from this bloody battlefield that’s full of discipline! You can even lead a rich life away from the battlefield. You’ll have true freedom!”
    【Establishing the Identity of an One Man Army】
    Bullet served in the army until he was 14, he was called a hero for his feats that can matched a thousand. He fully realizes that “One treasure can only be obtained by one person”, and as he grows, he established his identity of “A person is strong because they’re alone”.
    •Bullet dreams of the General’s flattery
    “Away from war, a life of freedom...”
    •Bullet departed for the final battle that’ll decide the outcome of the war.
    •Thanks to Bullet, they forced the enemy’s army to surrender. Just when he thought they won, he was surrounded by his army.
    •“Your strength will eventually threatens my position...!”
    General Douglas had betrayed him in order to kill him.
    •The betrayal of General Douglas, the first person that he trusted, and the disappointment of the new freedom before him. Those combined made him furious and when he was in a dying condition, he went on a rampage.
    •Only his strength that he got from training did not betrayed him. He ended the war and destroyed his own army and country.
    •Since he destroyed a country, the World Government begun to go after him. Bullet set sail out to the sea as a pirate alone, seeking battleground.

Age 15 (30 years ago):
    •Bullet the unbeaten roamed the sea looking for battles.
    •He met Roger and challenged him, he lost. No matter how many times he challenged him, he just kept losing, Bullet suffered his first series of defeats in his life.
    •Apparently, Roger's strength is different from ,“You’re strong because you’re alone”, what Bullet has developed. Bullet continued to attack Roger's ship with the feeling of wanting to find out its identity and more than anything, he doesn’t want to keep losing.
    •During the days of Bullet’s challenges, Roger faced all of them head-on and Bullet can never managed to win. One day, Bullet lost after giving all he’s got, he then swore to Roger,
    “One day I’ll defeat you and become the strongest in the world...!”
    Roger laughed“Come at me anytime”.
    【Joining Roger Pirates】
    Bullet, who’s always been alone, met someone who’s stronger than him for the first time. He admired Roger. Bullet, who has made a “friend” for the first time, decided to aboard his ship as a “challenger”.

Age 17 (28 years ago):
    •being called the “Demon Heir” of Roger Pirates
    •Bullet was shocked when he learned about Roger’s incurable disease.

Age 18 (27 years ago):
    •Learning the upcoming time of Roger’s death, he became impatient that he might not fulfill his oath. He begins to have doubts.
    •Eventually, he developed the consciousness of “I have to protect my friends” , and he hesitates when making decisions during battles. He thinks that he’s becoming weaker.
    •He began to have doubts about Roger’s “strength”. Roger is strong like a demon when he’s fighting for his friends. The essence of this is the result of demonstrating an extraordinary resolve by being alone and putting himself in danger. However, on the other hand, Bullet realized that Roger’s idea of "protecting my friends" gets in his way, and he can’t go all out. Bullet thought that...the existence of friends makes strength imperfect.
    •Bullet believes that he cannot surpass Roger by staying with them. He have to corner himself more...
    •He challenged Roger one last time, he put up a good fight but he still lost.
    Bullet: “Kill me...!”
    But as usual, Roger: “Come at me again anytime”
    Bullet got off the ship and made a name for himself as a rookie after his independence.

Age 19 (26 years ago):
    •Fought against Crocodile, who’s a rookie at that time, no result.

Age ??:
    •Roger’s subordinate made a “Eternal Pose” pointing to “Laugh Tale”. However, after Roger found out what they did he threw it in the ocean. Then it was eaten by a sea king.
    •The Great Pirate Era starts as Roger’s being executed.
    •What can he do to surpass Roger, who’s now dead. A dilemma that you can never win against those who have died. As if trying to get rid of his hesitation, he goes on a rampage on the sea.
    【The Wound on His Left Shoulder】
    The tattoo-like wound on his left shoulder is like a medal to Bullet. He got it during his first “Buster Call”.

Age 22 (23 years ago):
    •The Marine uses “Buster Call” to corner and capture the rampaging Bullet.
    •Even though Bullet fought fiercely, he eventually wears out. Then he was attacked by the pirates whom he had defeated before, that became the decisive factor of the battle and Bullet was finally caught. He was then imprisoned in the underwater prison Impel Down.

Age 23~43 (22~2 years ago):
    •During the 20 years in Impel Down Level 6, he concentrates and continues his training silently.
    •He made a decision after being distressed about what he should do to surpass Roger.
    •“I will become the world’s strongest ‘Pirate King’ that surpasses Roger”—
    He decided to kill all the strong people in the world, including the “Four Emperors” and the navy admirals. He thinks that it’s the proof of being the strongest, something that even Roger couldn’t accomplish. He plan to accomplish that goal with his completed “strength of one”.
    •Just when he was finishing his training, the prison break commotion started by “Strawhat” and “Blackbeard” happened. Taking advantage of the commotion, Bullet escaped.
    •grasp the current situation of the sea
    • After learning about Whitebeard’s death and that he died protecting his subordinates, he’s convinced that his belief is right.
    •He found the man that was supposed to be dead after being eaten by a Sea King, Festa. They obtained Roger’s treasure for the ambition of being world’s strongest. They start the plan to seize the Buster Call and kill all pirates.

Age 44~45 (A year ago~Now)
    •Hidding, preparation stage
    •“Pirate Festival” starts
    To show that he’s the strongest and has surpasses Roger, he puts on a military uniform, which represents his origin, as the proof of his determination.

+

The second part of this post is exactly why I'm so excited about what is to come after Wano. It might allow a soft reset button since this whole Smile/Alliance storyline that started since Punk Hazard will be wrapped up in Wano, and potentially to an extent, wrapping up the whole beef with Big Mom too that started since Fishman Island which also involves Jinbei joining. After this, the Straw Hats will finally continue their voyage without any freeloaders like Wano natives, the minks, Law etc who have been riding along with the Straw Hats for the last couple arcs. Oda can finally focus on the Straw Hats and their interaction again. I see Wano as the culmination of everything that the Straw Hats started since post time-skip/New World, giving the series a sense of fresh start.

"I wait for you, Luffy!" blackness662's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    The second part of this post is exactly why I'm so excited about what is to come after Wano. It might allow a soft reset button since this whole Smile/Alliance storyline that started since Punk Hazard will be wrapped up in Wano, and potentially to an extent, wrapping up the whole beef with Big Mom too that started since Fishman Island which also involves Jinbei joining. After this, the Straw Hats will finally continue their voyage without any freeloaders like Wano natives, the minks, Law etc who have been riding along with the Straw Hats for the last couple arcs. Oda can finally focus on the Straw Hats and their interaction again. I see Wano as the culmination of everything that the Straw Hats started since post time-skip/New World, giving the series a sense of fresh start.
    Coudn't agree more.
    I also understand what zeltrax225 and Greg saying.
    But I think all the alliance building and showing the characters from the factions were necessary as well.
    Yeah, I miss some SH crew interaction, but I survived. :)

One Piece Stampede earned 2,500,000,000 yen from 2,000,000 ticket sales in its first week!!!

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/s...81709913554944

What was said earlier is why I hope for a more crew focused, more self-contained arc before the final arc. No alliance, no fleet. Just the spotlight on straw hats and a few selected island related characters.
    So the arc doesn't seem to be totally random, this would be where the unknown raid ponegylph is located.

Official cinema release date for Germany and Austria was revealed to be September 24th. <3

Quote Originally Posted by EBRAHEM.EMADI View Post
    Hi.
    So the longed waited consequences of the Level 6 escape ended up here. I won't lie, at this point in OP I thought it was a bit too late to bring that on the manga anymore (I can't even see how Weevil can be included as a threat after Wano), so instead of disliking the plotline to end up apparently being developed on a movie I feel more like "well, at least we got something out of it".
    Not sure if I like the idea of a member of Roger crew being non-canon, though (even though he basically ripped off Ace early years as a WBP).

His strength was equal to Rayleigh according to Buggy.
    (...)
    When he wae 19 years old, he fought Crocodile and neither of them won. (Surprising!)

ooh, boy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Greg, how do people in Japan feel about Post Time Skip stuff? Do they care as much as we foreigners do about the handling of recent arcs and what do they see as flaws?
    I'm surrounded mostly by 'lifer' fans and while none of them are quick to critique the series, both the Skypiea-slump and DR-slump (lol Dr. Slump) were related to stagnant stories.

I personally know more than a few casual readers who jumped ship at both points because the story was so very long. Now, in retrospective, Skypiea seems like a mild stroll compared to DR.

Interestingly enough, I saw Luffy drawn on a whiteboard at our local gasoline stand and asked who the artist was. The attendant who drew it said she liked the 'old' One Piece when it was 'about the crew'.

I don't imagine she's alone.

Oda fixed his biggest issue of handling non-death. He's been amazing on that front as of late. But his refusal to do 1v1s and focus on crew members equally definitely has had effects. However, the biggest reason for the slump is really just because of how much entertainment is out there these days and how fickle kids are.

At its height in 2013, literally every hand would go up in a classroom when I asked who liked One Piece. Now it's closer to maybe 40% of students with the remaining 60% being a mix of don't know i *or* vehemently don't like it because of parental influence (manga snobs).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'm surrounded mostly by 'lifer' fans and while none of them are quick to critique the series, both the Skypiea-slump and DR-slump (lol Dr. Slump) were related to stagnant stories.

I personally know more than a few casual readers who jumped ship at both points because the story was so very long. Now, in retrospective, Skypiea seems like a mild stroll compared to DR.

Interestingly enough, I saw Luffy drawn on a whiteboard at our local gasoline stand and asked who the artist was. The attendant who drew it said she liked the 'old' One Piece when it was 'about the crew'.

I don't imagine she's alone.

Oda fixed his biggest issue of handling non-death. He's been amazing on that front as of late. But his refusal to do 1v1s and focus on crew members equally definitely has had effects. However, the biggest reason for the slump is really just because of how much entertainment is out there these days and how fickle kids are.

At its height in 2013, literally every hand would go up in a classroom when I asked who liked One Piece. Now it's closer to maybe 40% of students with the remaining 60% being a mix of don't know i *or* vehemently don't like it because of parental influence (manga snobs).
    This made me tear up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    However, the biggest reason for the slump is really just because of how much entertainment is out there these days and how fickle kids are.
    Yeah, gacha mobage especially is a hell of a drug. Fate series actually just very recently dethroned One Piece in revenue thanks to Grand Order.

Yeah, gacha mobage especially is a hell of a drug. Fate series actually just very recently dethroned One Piece in revenue thanks to Grand Order.
    That's interesting. Not crazy surprising though; the Fate series has the benefit of spin-offs that can catch audiences who aren't into the primary grail war genre (not sure if it's considered shonen). I'm sure OP will catch up once it finally ends and Toei goes crazy with the spin-offs. Can't wait for Shougeki no Sanji's son & Mushishi: Tales of Roronoa Jr lol.

On topic, I'm looking forward to seeing Stampede. The films are usually just cool fan-service to me anyway, so this one embracing that idea appeals a lot.
    kevinmidas.bandcamp.com
    I'm a musician! Have a listen!

It doesn't help that any OP mobile game after Treasure Cruise just flops, and Treasure Cruise is already getting pretty stale with how shitty Bamco is becoming with the new events.

I'd be down for this like you would'nt believe, but Oda being in the habit of writing highly interconnected arcs for 300+ chapters makes me doubtful. I fully expect Big Moms presence on Wano facilitating a beeline to Elbaf (which has the last poneglyph (and is also a Vegapunk research outpost (and also Blackbeard and the revolutionaries show up)))

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information