+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: New One Piece Movie "Stampede" (August 2019)

Default Re: New One Piece Movie "Stampede" (August 2019)

Sounds like my type of movie. Bullet fruit sounds awesome should've been given to a cano character.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai D. Ou View Post
    On the Gear 4 forms of Luffy:

Spoiler:
    Do we get a new form or what? Artur is the only who said so and pointed to the trailer, but that seems just like plain old Boundman. I've looked all throughout the internet and no one has mentioned a new form except for him.
    Hidden:
    Watching through the movie a second time I didn't seem to hear it, so if no one else confirmed it then it's quite likely he didn't name the form and I just misheard that. It's certainly rather different than Boundman though even if it might've not gotten a name and even before he delivers the attack his arms are way, way larger than in Boundman form.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    It's great that oda can make fun and diverse enough side characters that anyone can find someone to identify with, luffy is good but he is rather simple and linear, and his gags can get annoying. Can't bet everything on one alone, no matter how good he is, not everyone will love him.
    You're right! As I said, Luffy wasn't one of my favorites for many years. Didn't dislike him, but didn't find much great about him.

But go back and reread the post I responded to. Although clarification was later added, the poster described not only dislike for Luffy, but frustration at lack of other characters not being featured. That's not a healthy combination when it comes to a main character because unless it's Game of Thrones or Death Note, they're not going to suddenly vanish. It's not a healthy relationship to have with a series.

No new Gear 4th form, how did that start? Lol

Luffy having screen time isn't new, what changed is that current One Piece is loaded with characters taking panel time away from non-Luffy SHs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    Luffy having screen time isn't new, what changed is that current One Piece is loaded with characters taking panel time away from non-Luffy SHs.
    and Zoro... At least not that much.

But that's why I dislike post TS as well

Interestingly enough, Luffy having *this much* screen time is something that started post time-skip.

While there were periods without him in WCI, the rest of the time, barely a week goes by w/o Luffy these days. He used to vanish for weeks on end and it was wonderful. You need that bit of time away.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Interestingly enough, Luffy having *this much* screen time is something that started post time-skip.

While there were periods without him in WCI, the rest of the time, barely a week goes by w/o Luffy these days. He used to vanish for weeks on end and it was wonderful. You need that bit of time away.
    Thriller Bark always shocked me for having Luffy screen time at its historical minimum, with him being kidnapped by Moriah and Lola
    Prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    I would love a team of allosaurus, spinosaurus, pterodactyl, branchiosaurus, triceratops and ankylosaurus, keeping the T-Rex one for King and megalodon for Queen.

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

First 4 days: 1،254،372 seats and 1،646،321،500 billion yen.
    Last edited by ScotchInformer; August 13th, 2019 at 04:47 AM.

ONE PIECE STAMPEDE Surpasses GOLD's First Four-Day Gross Record

https://www.crunchyroll.com/es-es/an...y-gross-record

Distributor Toei announced today on August 13 that the One Piece anime franchise's 14th feature film ONE PIECE STAMPEDE earned 1,646,321,500 yen on 1,254,372 admissions in its first four days from August 9 to 12, which were 108.4% (gross) and 115.3% (admissions) of those of the previous 13th film ONE PIECE FILM GOLD released three years ago.

GOLD was released in 344 theaters with 739 screens (the largest number in the history of Japanese cinema at the time) on July 23, 2016, and earned 1,516,450,600 yen from the 1,088,166 ticket sales in its first four days.

As reported, STAMPEDE was released in 352 theaters with 429 screens (310 less than GOLD) on August 9, and its opening day ticket sales of 478,528 was 25 percent less than that of GOLD, mainly due to the difference of their release day of the week: The former was released on Friday, while the latter was on Saturday.

But thanks to favorable reviews, overwhelming word of mouth, and this year's calendar (the Monday was the substitute holiday for Mountain Day on August 11), STAMPEDE easily surpassed the previous film's record and is expected to cross the five billion yen mark by the end of its domestic run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    If you complain about this, then you probably died reading togashi's hxh. He's such a bastard lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kirei_lanford View Post
    If you complain about this, then you probably died reading togashi's hxh. He's such a bastard lol.
    I disagree.

Togashi created a rotation system between the four main characters and they are left out sometimes, but the good thing about it is that the protagonists are always well utilized whenever they're around. I never felt like Gon or Killua or Kurapika or Leorio were being overshadowed by secondary characters.

Obviously, OP has a different structure compared to HxH and can't do the same, so each Strawhats won't be in the spotlight in every arc, which is also a type of rotation. That's fine.

However, ever since the time skip it feels like a lot of the Strawhats are not getting the screentime that is due to them, and some of them have become caricatures of themselves, and their personalities have been squeezed by the plot. Things are not well balanced right now.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I disagree.

Togashi created a rotation system between the four main characters and they are left out sometimes, but the good thing about it is that the protagonists are always well utilized whenever they're around. I never felt like Gon or Killua or Kurapika or Leorio were being overshadowed by secondary characters.

Obviously, OP has a different structure compared to HxH and can't do the same, so each Strawhats won't be in the spotlight in every arc, which is also a type of rotation. That's fine.

However, ever since the time skip it feels like a lot of the Strawhats are not getting the screentime that is due to them, and some of them have become caricatures of themselves, and their personalities have been squeezed by the plot. Things are not well balanced right now.
    Could you provide discrete examples of that?

I can sort of understand that for someone like Sanji during FMI and PH, but during WCI he got a shit ton of lime light that genuinely expanded his characterization.

I think some characters haven't been as well rounded as I would have liked them to be(like Usopp), but although they haven't been focused on as central players a lot of time, I still feel the majority of the strawhats have had solid, though short lived representation.

the only thing i hate about the time skip is that these new world arcs are getting longer i mean oda wasted too much time on dressrosa
    next year will be the 10th anniversary since the time skip and we still on the 5th island

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post

I can sort of understand that for someone like Sanji during FMI and PH, but during WCI he got a shit ton of lime light that genuinely expanded his characterization.

I think some characters haven't been as well rounded as I would have liked them to be(like Usopp), but although they haven't been focused on as central players a lot of time, I still feel the majority of the strawhats have had solid, though short lived representation.
    Chopper even pre timeskip became a mascot... Even his look changed and now post TS there is nothing to him besides being a mascot

The other SHs besides Zoro aren't getting that much love besides their usual tropes.

And even Sanji while getting some good/bad characteristics wasn't the main spotlight and at the end besides the cake he hasn't done much...

It was Luffy again with his 2 fights against Cracker and Katakuri and Bege and the whole alliance which make the arc stood out

I even say... Jinbe get more spotlight than Sanji in the so called Sanji arc.

Of course there where some scenes for the other SHs but not more than for example Pedro or the Vinsmokes.

That's why they don't feel like main characters anymore and it's mostly a Luffy plus his new supernova buddies show feat Zoro

You could probably make a case for Brook in Wholecake.

He's responsible for getting the rubbings half the plot was about, managed to harm Big Mom's subordinates the most, had the most interaction with Pedro, was of great interest to Big Mom, was the one responsible for Big Mom's breakdown and even got Nami a souvenir/power up.

Hell, Nami's also responsible for Luffy's win against Cracker now I think about it, and the entire reason they got the homies to listen to them.

Chopper's useless these days though. He's doomed to be upstaged by both Law and Carrot forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post

As a disclaimer, have in mind that my opinion is based exclusively on the manga, since I haven't watch the anime for many many years. Maybe the anime mitigates my criticism with all the stuff they add.

I should also mention that Sanji is an exception for obvious reasons, although he too suffers from his gags being overplayed in most arcs. Btw, I consider WCI as the best arc at portraying non-Luffy strawhats since the time skip, much better than Dressrosa with the other half of the crew in my opinion.

All that said, it's not that easy to summarize my point because I feel like each strawhat suffers from different kinds of problems. And it's not so much about individual examples that would criminalize their entire portrayal, but rather about what they are lacking right now. Some of them desperately need any screentime they can get (Robin and Franky), for other it's about time to have a new awesome feat (Chopper). More importantly, some of the strawhats seem to be stuck into only one dimension of their character (Zoro, Usopp and non-WCI Sanji), and that's what I call "becoming caricatures of themselves".

There is also the lack of regular fights for anyone that is not Luffy or Zoro. There is the fact that the Strawhats are never together anymore.

Also, I'd like to see more emotional reactions from them in a lot of situations where Oda is not really exploring their personalities and possible actions. For example, in Wano
    Spoiler:
    Luffy was defeated by Kaidou and put into jail and what did we get? The same gag faces from Usopp, Franky and Robin, while the other strawhats were acting like "whatever, he will be fine".

In general, much of this is explained by the lack of spotlight into non-Luffy strawhats ever since the time skip, as well as excessive numbers of secondary characters. A good example of that is the second act of Wano as a whole. I feel like lot of situations that should be handled by a particular strawhat is being handled by a secondary character or being monopolized by Luffy (fights).

The strawhats sometimes are luxury background characters.

Any summaries of Volume 10089 that was given out?

Are there subs for the last trailer, the 3-minutes one?
    Waiting for a signature that is worth to see...

Quote Originally Posted by mario time View Post
    the only thing i hate about the time skip is that these new world arcs are getting longer i mean oda wasted too much time on dressrosa
    next year will be the 10th anniversary since the time skip and we still on the 5th island
    As if there is too many islands to visit.

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

Stampede breakthrough 2 billion yen in japan box office !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information