+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 849: ''Before the Dawn - Pedro, Captain of the Guardians''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 849: ''Before the Dawn - Pedro, Captain of the Guardians''

So long, everyone - it's been a blast!

Title: ''Before the Dawn - Pedro, Captain of the Guardians''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 877-878
    Episode Director: Katsumi Tokoro (****)
    Animation Director: Shuuichi Ito (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 849: ''Before the Dawn - Pedro, Captain of the Guardians''

Luffy vs Katakuri - OP 849: https://yadi.sk/i/_IsY1hYa3a9HhU

One Piece Episode 850 Preview

Last edited by thaihoa91; August 11th, 2018 at 06:37 PM.

I found the episode to be an easy 5/5. Not one to miss. The pacing flowed very well and the quality jumped during the sacrifice. Very excited for the rest of animated WCI, been watching weekly again!

This episode is a solid 9/10 no doubt. Animation had a few hiccups here and there (pedro running looked like it was only 3 frames) but this is easily one of the best episodes since the summer started. That damn special will soon be behind us.

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

There are times when the anime undoubtably pulls scenes off better than the manga did and this was absolutely one of those times. Moving Pedro's flashback from chapter 878 forward and adding some additional dialogue to his confrontation with Perospero definitely worked to give more buildup and weight to his sacrifice, as I believe that was one of the big criticisms towards this scene in the manga. Plus the anime also made it a lot more obvious than the manga did that he was going out with a smile as per One Piece tradition. I imagine one of the reasons to extend the flashback a bit with Gold Roger's execution was to provide his new voice actor a chance to give his take on Roger's classic lines, engraved as they are into the DNA of the One Piece. No one will ever be able to replace Chikao Otsuka, but he did a fine job. Speaking of voices, realizing that Shinichiro Miki was still voicing young Pedro was funny since I've never heard him pitch his voice so high before. Come to think of it, Pedro's not the first character he's voiced who loses an eye and eventually dies...

After all of the (understandably) episodes with generally average-at-best art/animation this was a treat with Ishizuka providing an explosive opening with the Luffy/Katakuri punch clash and Tomita providing an explosive ending. He even managed to improve on Luffy's dazed-looking reaction shot at the end there (Jimbei's still a lost cause - Oda needs to figure out a way to have him express surprise and shock without looking like a gaping muppet). This is kinda conspiracy theory territory, but is that Yuya Takahashi in the preview? Next episode has Dragon Ball Super's director on it and Carrot's attack has all those flips and Shida-like high-speed movement people've associated with him.../tinfoilhat.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Easily one of my favorite episodes of the arc.

Seems that five years before Luffy was born, when Roger was executed, Dragon didn't have the tattoo on his face yet, which gives me the feeling that he had gotten it because of a life-changing event related to the Revolutionaries or perhaps something else:

I loved this episode. Cool moments are FINALLY cool again!

Definitely loved the episode. Also have to say I'm glad they pulled scenes from the special limited DVD release Episode 0. That was a very pleasant surprise.

Absolutely fantastic episode!

Blissful direction, now I understand why Katsumi Tokoro is regarded as a top tier 4* episode director, and the animation was very satisfying this week (thanks Ishizuka, thanks Tomita).

Also, huge shout out to my man Monkey D. Dragon for making an unexpected appearance this week!
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Also I had a feeling Roger's voice sounded different but I didn't know his original voice actor passed until now.

Fantastic episode
    well, not fantastic, but way above what we usually get.

I can't believe Pedro is fucking dead.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Seems that five years before Luffy was born, when Roger was executed, Dragon didn't have the tattoo on his face yet, which gives me the feeling that he had gotten it because of a life-changing event related to the Revolutionaries or perhaps something else:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...767&height=430
    They basically redid this scene, so we've technically seen Dragon's face during the execution before.

https://youtu.be/z6aEJx-hZDo?t=15s

Anyway the final bits of the episode were great. And next week's look promising, too. Guess this makes up for the 4 episodes we spent running through that fuckin' forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    They basically redid this scene, so we've technically seen Dragon's face during the execution before.

https://youtu.be/z6aEJx-hZDo?t=15s

Anyway the final bits of the episode were great. And next week's look promising, too. Guess this makes up for the 4 episodes we spent running through that fuckin' forest.
    I know, but it's still a thought worth bringing up.

Oh wow I thought they literally pulled those scenes from Episode 0 but I guess they reanimated them. Guess Doffy didn't have a speaking line back then but it was a nice little addition that they didn't need to do, but I always like him getting lines.

First half was a little dull, despite having some cool stuff in it, but the second half is a fantastic reminder why its worth sticking with the One Piece anime. Absolutely wonderful stuff.

Katsumi Ishizuka was top credited on this episode to my knowledge, and while he did some cool stuff, such as the Red Hawk clash and the two Luffy vs Katakuri scenes this episode(as well as some other less noteworthy stuff), I felt it was Yoshikazu Tomita who absolutely stole the show in the second half, handling the majority of the Pedro portions of the flashback, as well as the climatic explosion at the end of the episode. Fantastic stuff. Despite the first half being a little slow, Katsumi Tokoro absolutely nailed all the emotional beats of the second, and its in that half that their direction really shines to its utmost.

Overall, very solid episode, with one of the most moving scenes in the anime in quite a while.
    NEP looks absolutely nuts. Ryota Nakamura really seems to be gracing us with some first class direction and storyboarding.

Pedro's sacrifice was definitely better than in the manga, I appreciate that they extended it and reenacted some old Roger scenes so we can hear his new VA. Choosing some classic tracks for the end added to the emotional impact.

I appreciated the flashbacks it's not like we saw pedro all by himself on a swing
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information