+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General books/novels thread!

Default General books/novels thread!

I couldn't really find any section with a thread like this, and I didn't really want to start a thread for every new book.

I currently just got done with "Life of Pi." Very enthralling book. I liked how the writer made it believable how Pi survived. Was absolutely floored when I saw the more factual story. Really hit home the message at the end, when I prefered the ending with the animals.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Default Re: General books/novels thread!

it kinda calls my curiosity if anyone here has ever published a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Its one of my biggest goals/dreams.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
    I couldn't really find any section with a thread like this, and I didn't really want to start a thread for every new book.

I currently just got done with "Life of Pi." Very enthralling book. I liked how the writer made it believable how Pi survived. Was absolutely floored when I saw the more factual story. Really hit home the message at the end, when I prefered the ending with the animals.
    I didn't end up enjoying Life of Pi overall but I finished it (I mean, he obviously survived because it's told from the perspective of him dictating it to someone after the fact). It's all well and good if the impossible parts were just in his head but if any of it was real it would merit more explanation and expansion. That weird island alone would make a fascinating story all on its own. I actually read it about 2 or 3 years before the movie came out so I didn't even know they would ever make it into one. Didn't bother watching it, though.

Anyone read the Johannes Cabal series by Jonathan L. Howard? Bizarre stuff, but with a dark humor that appeals to me (very Addams Family-esque). A curmudgeonly but young necromancer perfecting his craft (a mixture of Herbert West: Re-Animator style science and dark magic) and the hapless folk he comes across along the way (including those not human and not from this world). It's about 5 books but if you get into it, you'll breeze through it. It may have the pretense of Young Adult genre but it's pretty graphic in parts about the violence and fairly regular about using profane language, so don't worry about it being not for grown people.

Does self-publishing count? A friend of mine was trying to do that and he probably has enough money to now...

I haven't read that series, but I'll def put it on my list.

I'm reading the Hobbit now. When I am done with that I'll read LotR for the first time surprisingly.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

I'm not a huge novel reader unfortunately. I've only ever read 4 novel series the Harry Potter series, the Eragon series, the Goosebumps series, and Animorphs.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Its one of my biggest goals/dreams.
    what would u be writting about?

Not me, certainly, but I have a friend who had a short story published in a magazine then had it chosen for a "Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Short Stories of 2017" collection. I'm so proud.

Last novel I read was the book Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. It's like Nigerian Avatar the last airbender. But more violent. I'm looking forward to her next book in the series. Supposedly it comes out next year. It's already got a movie deal. I'm just stoked to have more non-eurocentric fantasy books. The magic is handled in an interesting way.

My (other) friend wants a Disney Anansi movie so bad.

Just started reading Three Dark Crowns series really enjoying so far.

I'm hoping to self-publish a complete Sega Game Gear collecting guide in 2019.

It's a really underrated system.

Reading the Recognitions. Kind of hard to follow where in the world some parts take place but other than that reading it has gotten easier after the first couple of parts. The dialogue having no quotation marks was kind of strange, as the first time I was exposed to that was with Cormac McCarthy but apparently it isn't that uncommon.

'Lincoln In The Bardo' will knock your fucking socks off.

Get the paperback.
    You come at the king, you best not miss.

I couldn't really find any section with a thread like this,
    It's on the General Discussion area: http://forums.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=26721

p.s.: And to address the topic, reading The Master and Margarita.

Discovered Stowaway

I'd recommend the Name of the Wind books (although the technical name of the series is the Kingkiller Chronicle) by Patrick Rothfuss. It's about a child prodigy from a traveling performance troupe in a medieval-ish alternate universe who undergoes a lot of hardship and his journey to becoming something of a legendary hero and villain at the same time, depending on the perspective. It's told from his point of view as an adult recounting the days of his youth, so somewhat like the Life of Pi, but with dragons and magic and sex (the last part isn't til book 2 in case you feel disappointed with the first one). I'm still waiting for book 3 even though it's been a ridiculously long time already. Starting to wonder if he's going to actually make the story complete rather than just doing the flashback books...

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

just finished Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis, moving on to The Three-Body Problem, by Liu Cixin. Great read up until now. Connie's book was a great read, and definitely had me on the edge of my seat to know how it would end, but I was expecting a bit more out of it. And the character were as endeering to me as a few critics had me believe they would.

I didn't seriously start reading books until I was 18 years old. Found that one that piqued my interesting (Across the Nightingale Floor) and now I have a huge library of books. I don't like reading thrillers, I don't particularly enjoy anything set in the modern age - unless it's set in a faraway country and/or a different time period. That I least I feel like I learn something from.

I tremendously enjoy reading historic books. Fairly sure they outweigh the novels. I loved S.P.Q.R. by Mary Beard. She didn't just tell the story of the Roman Empire, but presented and explained why certain source aren't necessarily reliable, why such and such was inevitable and probable, the significance of events and characters in the empire's story. Another, Genghis Ghan by Frank McClynn was also fantastic. There's a lot of books to chose from, and I felt like I picked the right one. It's a big book, and I have too little brain capacity to remember the details or even all his victories and accomplishments, but I'll always remember his three best generals: Jebe, Subutai and Muqali.

When reading history books (and most of the time) I enjoy reading two at the time, shifting from one to the other at major points as to not to get bored. Not that they're boring, but both of the books I'm reading are 900-page long, and they take a while, and I need a break from one topic for a while. Currently I'm reading Napoleon The Great by Andrew Roberts. It's fairly straightforward in telling his entire life, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're absolutely interested. The other is A People's Strategy - The Russian Revolution by Orlando Figes. I don't live in Russia but I'm Russian, and this particular point in time interests me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information