+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot

Default Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-works-1128888

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment.

20th Century Fox Television, who produced the original Joss Whedon drama, have put a new take on the beloved Sarah Michelle Gellar drama in development. Writer Monica Breen, who worked with Whedon on ABC's Agents of SHIELD, has been hired to pen the adaptation and serve as showrunner on the reboot.

Whedon will be an exec producer on the series and has been working with Breen on the script, which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar.

Gail Berman, Joe Earley, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui (who produced Whedon's original Buffy film that inspired the TV series) will also serve as exec producers on the potential series. A network is not yet attached for the new Buffy, talks for which began last fall. Producers Fox 21 TV Studios will pitch the Buffy re-do to streaming and cable outlets later this summer in a package bound to ignite a bidding war. It's unclear if Whedon will have any additional role on the new Buffy due to his other commitments, which include HBO's recent straight-to-series order The Nevers.

Talks for a new Buffy began last fall. A decision to move forward was determined after Breen was identified as the right writer for the reboot. A script or director has not yet been determined. Casting for the central role of Buffy has also not yet been determined. The new version, sources say, will be contemporary and build on the mythology of the original. Like today's world, the new Buffy will be richly diverse, with some aspects of the series, like the flagship, seen as metaphors for issues facing society today.

Default Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot

Pumped for this!!!

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

I think I am, too. Although I would really prefer a continuation with a new Slayer. Would certainly be interesting with where the series ended (ignoring comics because who doesn't).

I'm definitely excited about The Nevers, though. I believe Joss has been tangling with this (general) concept for a while. The Victorian part sounds familiar at least.
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

I'm sorry, but I don't want to see new actors portraying characters that were already perfectly cast and acted in the original show. Just extend the universe and tackle some new storylines instead of making a clean reboot.

There's no reason to recast Buffy. Just set it 20 years later with a new Slayer, maybe one of the old cast to anchor it (Xander in the Giles role?) and ocassional cameos, and run with a new thing.

If its a straight reboot it's only going to be compared to the original. If its a continuation it can be its own thing. If you really absolutely need the Buffy name in the title for brand recognition, just have a Buffyverse subtitle in tiny letters above the actual name.

At least Whedon is actually involved in some capacity.

(Just imagine Xander putting on a fake British accent and doing his best to be Giles and overplaying the clumsiness and carrying the gag for like, an entire season before he breaks character in front of the group.)
    Last edited by Robby; July 22nd, 2018 at 04:44 AM.

Agreed, the Buffyverse has the potential for multiple series and continuations (it has already). BUT if Whedon's part of it I'm willing to see where it goes. But, even then, topping the original will be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Huschel View Post
    I think I am, too. Although I would really prefer a continuation with a new Slayer. Would certainly be interesting with where the series ended (ignoring comics because who doesn't).
    Ouch!
    I love the comic continuation. Granted, its had some rough seasons (Seasons 9 and 11 come to mind) Season 8 was great, minus the Twilight reveal (second worst Big Bad). Didn't care for season 9 but liked Simone, but wish she had more development.

Season 10 was great beginning to end. They brought the core relationships back to the forefront and gave us a great Big Bad that forced the Scoobies to grow up. My biggest issue with Season 11 was the lack of follow up from Season 10's ending. Buffy was in a great place doing something interesting but they dropped it! Still not over it. I give Season 11 props from trying something new but the Big Bad was the worst out of every season. The short season didn't help things either (too focused, I want to see what's going on with characters other than Buffy, Spike and Willow), but I love what happened to Buffy and Willow later in the season. Those two are badass and nothing can change that.

Season 12 just started (only read the first issue). The time skip threw me for a loop but judging how the rest of the issue went, I'm willing to forgive them. It's a hell of a start and may end up being my favorite comic season yet.

Sidebar: Angel After the Fall was great, no, fantastic! The Angel & Faith Season 9 was great too and the only saving grace from the Twilight stuff. Season 10 is okay, but Angel Season 11 was bad. I really didn't like it. Probably the worst Buffyverse season hands down!

NNID: jervinnectar

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    There's no reason to recast Buffy. Just set it 20 years later with a new Slayer, maybe one of the old cast to anchor it (Xander in the Giles role?) and ocassional cameos, and run with a new thing.

If its a straight reboot it's only going to be compared to the original. If its a continuation it can be its own thing. If you really absolutely need the Buffy name in the title for brand recognition, just have a Buffyverse subtitle in tiny letters above the actual name.

At least Whedon is actually involved in some capacity.

(Just imagine Xander putting on a fake British accent and doing his best to be Giles and overplaying the clumsiness and carrying the gag for like, an entire season before he breaks character in front of the group.)
    Last I saw Xander was a cameo on The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and...he's not looking so good. I say just keep it completely separate from the past. But then I'd have preferred the series not ending at season 7, so...

But this could be interesting, although with the numerous shows like it that are currently running, I'd probably need to see how it sets itself apart (larger proportion of comedy, perhaps?) or I'd just give it a miss.

Well seeing as how season 8 ended with Buffy and Angel having supersonic flying sex that was so hard they ripped a hole in the fabric of space and time and somehow created a new universe I hope they go a bit differently then the comics

that being said everything with Dracula and Xander was great, I especially love Draculas fear the old man speach, that was epic! and the bromance that dracula refuses to admit he has with xander lol

what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Buffy season 8 met all my expectations, until Twilight. Every story arc was great, even the "filler" issues were good. Wolves at the Gate was a great start. Faith's arc was great. We even got to see a happy ending for Oz. I think people complained about the season being overblown but I liked it. It took guts to change the status quo (the public learning vampires are real) and they made it stick.

I don't understand it. Really, I still don't get why they did that to Angel. Its such a slap in the face to everything he's been through on the Angel TV show. The only reason I can think of is them wanting the brooding/guilt Angel to return for his own book instead of building on what the TV show did.

Seriously what won't they reboot?

I was on a thread where some people didn't know there was a movie first...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    I was on a thread where some people didn't know there was a movie first...
    To be fair, the show itself basically pretends the movie doesn't exist except for one line about Buffy setting a fire in the first episode.

Different actors, different setting, different rules, different take on the lead.

So that's easy to forgive.

Buffy doesn't even set fire to the gym like 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' claims. I kept waiting for that and it never happened.
    Spoiler:

These comments from the showrunner suggest it's a sequel series and not a reboot.

Could I accept another random slayer called Buffy?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

It would have to be as an homage to Buffy Summers. Which is still better than a remake. But get your own identity, kid!
    Spoiler:

Okay, so it takes place in the Buffy universe. That works. But, yeah, Huschel. Why name the new slayer Buffy? That alone seems like the showrunners don't have enough faith (heh) in the series. The Buffy universe is big enough for characters other than Buffy leading the pack. Angel proved that.

This is an interesting development because now I want to know will they build off the comic seasons or scrap them ala Pre Disney Star Wars books. Also, don't like what it could mean for additional comic seasons. From the way season 12 has been set up this may be the last (and I'm too chicken to search the Buffy forums, plus I don't want to get spoiled).

Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post
    This is an interesting development because now I want to know will they build off the comic seasons or scrap them ala Pre Disney Star Wars books. Also, don't like what it could mean for additional comic seasons. From the way season 12 has been set up this may be the last (and I'm too chicken to search the Buffy forums, plus I don't want to get spoiled).
    They are going to have to assume the majority of the audience didn't read the comics. In fact, they're going to have to assume the majority of the audience didn't see the old show, given it was over 20 years ago. (though it is on Netflix so...)

They're absolutely going to ignore the comics unless they talk with them in reeeeeally broad strokes. Like they might go
    "well Xander headed up an organization of Slayers for a while"
    but they're not going to go
    "and then there was a time when when Dawn had a relationship with a thricewise named Kenny and turned into a giant and went to downtown to fight a godzilla monster, before she turned into a centaur" and they're not going to go "Oh, well Giles XX while YY was under control of ZZ thing, and then he became a 12 year old." Just not going to happen.

There's just no way they run with the assumption the audience not only watched all 7 seasons of the old show (recently) and all 5 seasons of Angel, but also picked up literally hundreds of comics/dozens of graphic novels in the time since.
    Last edited by Robby; August 4th, 2018 at 08:51 AM.

Hey there taking Buffy comics away from Dark Horse!!! Does this mean they will be taking the series to a new studio???

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Ugh I thought they dropped this, but nope lure of green and following the treads is too much allure for them. I guess it was inevitable. Really I would've preferred if they just did animated adaptation of the comic seasons over this. But meh fine, we already got a Charmed reboot incoming so let's get this mess over with.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information