+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 911: A Great Adventure in the Land of the Samurai

Default Re: Chapter 911: A Great Adventure in the Land of the Samurai

Spoiler:
    I cut off the recording after the 2nd to last page and rather than re-edit it I just decided to do a review. If you've ever seen me do any of these before let me know if you prefer this style and I feel I went deeper story-wise into how I feel it's unfolding.

I really liked this chapter and it's atmosphere a lot, especially with the design of the environment.
    Nice to see utilization of luffy's future sight, to show us that oda didn't forget it. Why dodge a bullet when you can knock out the shooter before he even takes a shot.
    A bit dialouge and exposition heavy in places but I still thought it was done well enough. Plus having a rambling geezer helps take the sting away and makes the talk seem natural.
    I haven't seen anybody on here discuss it but I wonder how is luffy gonna tell her that ace is dead. That's gotta be tough for him especially since she's staying there to wait for him.
    It's like if the person Laboon was waiting for was dead. Well I guess he is. Yohohohoho. It's still gonna be sad though.
    I don't think Basil has a plan but he may want to keep his options open and not tell kaido IE look the other way.
    Last edited by Long John Silvers Rayleigh; July 12th, 2018 at 10:47 AM.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Am I the only one who had a Miyazaki vibe from this chapter ?
    Especially from those pirates on the beach, and the humanitarian theme about famine.
    agree with you and a bit of pokemon too with little girl using balls to befriend monster

So where's Brook? Sanji grabbed Nami, Carrot, and Chopper, and Luffy's on his own, but Brook's fate was left uncertain. I smell a plot point for that coming up.

Also, the reveals in this chapter did not surprise me in the least. We knew Ace had been to Wano, and the moment he mentioned making Bamboo hats, I knew that Ace would be name-dropped after they specifically mentioned the small backstory of Ace making a Bamboo hat for Oars III. I am interested to see what influence Ace's presence in Wano had, though.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by "Fire Fist" Ace View Post
    So where's Brook? Sanji grabbed Nami, Carrot, and Chopper, and Luffy's on his own, but Brook's fate was left uncertain. I smell a plot point for that coming up.
    Brook's with them lol, Oda just didn't show it. You can tell easily just by the fact that Luffy was the last to attempt to leave.

During translation is the Kibi dango from OTama mean ki -vital energy? so that is the reason why she can give it to others but not to herself, it's like she is giving her own vital force through this action, that is totally not cannibalism as i read on the thread.
    I also saw an interesting thing about O-Tama, she might not be Momo's twin but probably is a kunoichi in training to protect momo?
    I'm sure she and Momo are close but since the coup d'etat they got scattered and Kaido is trying to get rid of them for the Shogun.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobiyopi View Post
    So Tama tamed a dog and a monkey, we should probably expect a pheasant soon too. Also excited to see One Piece's Onigashima
    If only we got the Momotaro from Hozuki no Reitetsu to go with the companion animals.

lol people still think there's a famine.

Just like Apoo, Hawkins refers to his new captain as Kaido-san instead of Kaido-sama. Does this mean that when you have a certain rank in Kaido's crew you can talk a bit more casual to him? But Sheepshead, who apparently has/had the same rank as Hawkins, used sama when he talked about him. I wonder if this will have any relevance.

Hint: In a famine you don't buy rice at the local market. There is no rice at the local market.

I think we all understood that the "famine" was something caused by Kaido to rule over the population, or it's something about those "factories". Or both.

Obviously, this is going to be an arc about farming and Nami pouring rain on the fields

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    Muh princess
    Muh oppressed island
    Muh 1000 sidekick characters
    Muh white knight Luffy
    The gender role are inverted compared to the Alabasta arc. We have to acclaim Oda's genius for that
    Tama is the new Koza, and Momonosuke is the new Vivi.

At least Koza was charismatic. He's one of the rare non-fighter characters that I like, along with Nefertari Cobra and Iceburg

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐🌛⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Hint: In a famine you don't buy rice at the local market. There is no rice at the local market.
    Or there is but it's limited and expensive, only rich people can afford it. Not that it has to be full famine, but for sure they have some food or money problems there.

Kaidou and shogun raised the prices for food and everything so they can buy materials to build weapons from other countries. With how king of underworld and cc provided kaidou artifical zoans and stuff, I don't think doflamingo was doing it for free. And with how oda said kaidou is more like mobster then pirate, he didn't just take over wano for the sake of it, he it taking their money and people to build him weapons.

Anyway, didn't they talk about some lurking legend a while ago that straw hats will meet and oppose and is related to whitebeard? Where did that guy go?
    Last edited by uniaka ikuzakas; July 12th, 2018 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TaKe_Copter View Post
    I got a lot of Water 7 vibes from these chapters. At the beginning of the arc we meet a weird creature with unclear intention (Sumo Frog, Kabuki Octopus) then we meet a cute kid and her guardian who are tied to the island's past (Kokoro/Chimney and Otama/Tengu). Could be just coincident but Water 7 is my favorite arc and I surely hope Wano manages to deliver at least 60-70% of its greatness.

Some dialogues and expositions about Otama are way too rushed but I guess it's better than dragging her subplot out.

IMO Dressrosa was our Water 7 of Part II and Wano will be our Marineford of Part II. the set ups and themes all match up for that to be the case for both Dressrosa and what we know so far about Wano
    Last edited by Sephi; July 12th, 2018 at 12:52 PM.
    I published an Epic Fantasy Novel!:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1542799449..._D3jYybVWR9N5V

i just hope oda does not turn every supernova into a "friend" of the strawhats

Quote Originally Posted by Xskart View Post
    i just hope oda does not turn every supernova into a "friend" of the strawhats
    Hawkins probably suspects SH are involved and wants to ally with them against Kaido.

More than likely that he didn't have other choice but to kneel. Well that or get beaten up like Kid.

Liked this chapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    Or there is but it's limited and expensive, only rich people can afford it. Not that it has to be full famine, but for sure they have some food or money problems there.
    Famine breaks down society, unless you're in the big city area you don't have a functional rice economy that just happens to have high prices. That's a shortage.
    A famine is people dying left and right, ghost towns, cannibalism, hoarding and definitely not goin' down to the ol' market to sell the rice.
    Also the landscape in famines is fucked up and dead looking, there's been absolutely zero indication of this.

You guys are extremely resistant to the well established cliche of prideful feudal Japanese characters allowing themselves suffering for honor reasons. Also the idea of poverty I guess.

Kaidou and shogun raised the prices for food and everything so they can buy materials to build weapons from other countries. With how king of underworld and cc provided kaidou artifical zoans and stuff, I don't think doflamingo was doing it for free. And with how oda said kaidou is more like mobster then pirate, he didn't just take over wano for the sake of it, he it taking their money and people to build him weapons.
    Or maybe the person with connections to the daimyo family that got crushed and erased, has become destitute because of that? The simpler explanation?

I don't think Hawkins will be an ally, at least not this early. My interpretation of his character is that his decision making is very heavily influenced by his fortune-telling. And odds are that he'll predict that any alliance with Luffy will only have ridiculously low chances of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
    Wano will be our Marineford of Part II. the set ups and themes all match up for that to be the case for both Dressrosa and what we know so far about Wano
    Uh.....what? I can't think of remotely a single thing in common.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐🌛⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    You guys are extremely resistant to the well established cliche of prideful feudal Japanese characters allowing themselves suffering for honor reasons. Also the idea of poverty I guess.

Or maybe the person with connections to the daimyo family that got crushed and erased, has become destitute because of that? The simpler explanation?
    But it was said she only eats rice twice per year, works hard but can barely afford food. How is that related to pride? And kinemon didn't sho any pride there.

And they made it sound like they just found out about her relation to Oden's clan, because she mentioned it to them now.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    But it was said she only eats rice twice per year, works hard but can barely afford food. How is that related to pride?
    It's related to poverty, you guys thinking the Momo scenes had anything to do with famine is not understanding the pride.

And kinemon didn't sho any pride with eating.
    Yeah he only showed constant pride against receiving any kind of help early on, even when he was a literal talking head.
    But that isn't elevant to your pet theory about a famine, so let's just ignore it.

And they made it sound like thye just found out about her relation to Oden's clan, because she mentioned it to them now.

Random Kaidou mooks passing through the market found out she had connections because she blurted something out.
    Explain how this contradicts her falling on hard times due to previous connections with a destroyed feudal house.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
    IMO Dressrosa was our Water 7 of Part II and Wano will be our Marineford of Part II. the set ups and themes all match up for that to be the case for both Dressrosa and what we know so far about Wano
    TBH I'd rather want Wano to be the Alabasta of Part II.
    (W7 was much more enjoyable than Dressrosa, anyway...)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information