+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 844: ''The Spear of Elbaf - Big Mom Dashes Through the Air!''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 844: ''The Spear of Elbaf - Big Mom Dashes Through the Air!''

Yo momma's so fat she comes at you from all directions!

Title: ''The Spear of Elbaf - Big Mom Dashes Through the Air!''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 873-874
    Episode Director: Satoshi Ito (***1/2)
    Animation Director: Kenji Yokoyama (***) and Yasuko Fukumoto
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    Last edited by Crossword; July 7th, 2018 at 08:55 PM.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 844: ''The Spear of Elbaf - Big Mom Dashes Through the Air!''

One Piece Episode 845 Preview

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Since someone was wondering last week, Compote was listed in the credits this week so it turns out that she's voiced by Mami Kingetsu (Stussy, Ms. Merry Christmas way back when).
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

I for one absolutely love when good direction can walk on top of a lack of animation. It's CLASSIC OP, where they prioritized the scale and direction over SAKUGA!!!!!Really had a sense of atmosphere, and scale. And something I rarely see in OP ------- Momentum/Speed. Know how OP episodes tend to have supposedly quick movements play out insanely slowly? Like how Jet gatling just looks like regular Gatling now cept red-skinned, s opposed to being a blistering barrage of air fists like it's STILL being depicted in other media such as games? Well, even without actually animating much of her (A simple loop of her on a cloud) they managed to convey her speed and scale just by moving her frames around in After Effects. The timing of this episodes cuts were great.

This episode earns my 7.5/10.

That preview SUCKS! I hate when you watch an episode with such a thrilling cliff-hanger, just to have all of that be ruined 2 seconds later by seeing the crew just fine in the NEP. I understand theres supposed to be a commercial there, but it really is a mood killer regardless. I'd rather not have the anime explictly spell out "oh by the way they're fine next episode" Isnt the NEP supposed to hype people? Thats not hype.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Returns View Post
    I for one absolutely love when good direction can walk on top of a lack of animation. It's CLASSIC OP, where they prioritized the scale and direction over SAKUGA!!!!!Really had a sense of atmosphere, and scale. And something I rarely see in OP ------- Momentum/Speed. Know how OP episodes tend to have supposedly quick movements play out insanely slowly? Like how Jet gatling just looks like regular Gatling now cept red-skinned, s opposed to being a blistering barrage of air fists like it's STILL being depicted in other media such as games? Well, even without actually animating much of her (A simple loop of her on a cloud) they managed to convey her speed and scale just by moving her frames around in After Effects. The timing of this episodes cuts were great.

This episode earns my 7.5/10.

That preview SUCKS! I hate when you watch an episode with such a thrilling cliff-hanger, just to have all of that be ruined 2 seconds later by seeing the crew just fine in the NEP. I understand theres supposed to be a commercial there, but it really is a mood killer regardless. I'd rather not have the anime explictly spell out "oh by the way they're fine next episode" Isnt the NEP supposed to hype people? Thats not hype.
    Yay! Im glad someone thinks like this! I agree...even though I do like Sakuga. The early episodes didnt need flashy animation.

The episode was slow
    and what made me more upset is when mama was saying the wedding cake over and over again also they added the tiger voice When she was destroying the city
    I mean there was nothing special except the appearance of a katakuri in a ship
    2/10

Well, the source material this week was pretty boring, I remember reading this week for week and tearing my hair out over how ridiculous it was that the cake plot became canon. This part of the arc in the manga was really slowly paced, too.

Ito is a competent director, but the storyboard this week felt really flat. There was a real lack of interesting, creative angles and it failed to showcase the terror of Big Mom's rampage. I also found it odd that they decided to end the episode before showing the impact of the attack. Maybe they'll reanimate it next week? Yokoyama's half was significantly better with the Germa stuff, it's also interesting to see them playing around with post processing filters some more.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information