View Poll Results: Who will join the alliance to take down Kaido?

Voters
292. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eustass Kid

225 77.05%
  • Basil Hawkins

118 40.41%
  • X Drake

139 47.60%
  • Scratchmen Apoo

69 23.63%
  • Gekko Moriah

83 28.42%
  • ???

46 15.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1402

Thread: Official Wano Thread

Default Re: Official Wano Thread

Kyros gave the Tontatta hope. If he's not a toy, he's dead from the attempts against the Doffy's family. Or they have Rebecca as hostage to keep him at bay.

Toys made for better themes connected to Usopp. Yes, they were utilized for many of the same things that the Tontatta were, but there are matters where the 2 diverge.

Wano and Dressrosa I feel like would be considered multiple story arcs on the same island. Like Wano has the acts and Dressrosa has the tournament and then fight against Doflamingo and his fam. I had no problem with the pacing, enjoyed them all to the fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Kyros gave the Tontatta hope. If he's not a toy, he's dead from the attempts against the Doffy's family. Or they have Rebecca as hostage to keep him at bay.

Toys made for better themes connected to Usopp. Yes, they were utilized for many of the same things that the Tontatta were, but there are matters where the 2 diverge.
    Arc could have been written differently. Riku family and Mansherry could have been merged. Why not Dwarves being the deposed monarchs?

Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    Arc could have been written differently. Riku family and Mansherry could have been merged. Why not Dwarves being the deposed monarchs?
    It's not about being written differently because that's not debatable to me. It can be done. I'm speaking to making sure things are done better. Oda connects so many things. If you're going to rewrite, consider everything it's connected to and work from there. You leave out 1 thing in your rewrite and you engender a worse predicament than what you're trying to fix.

I'll have to think about the family and the Tontatta being merged. It might work. I'm worried about the Grand Fleet and the 20 Kingdom family replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    It's not about being written differently because that's not debatable to me. It can be done. I'm speaking to making sure things are done better. Oda connects so many things. If you're going to rewrite, consider everything it's connected to and work from there. You leave out 1 thing in your rewrite and you engender a worse predicament than what you're trying to fix.

I'll have to think about the family and the Tontatta being merged. It might work. I'm worried about the Grand Fleet and the 20 Kingdom family replacement.
    Imo it would work seamlessly. Dwarves being actual kings over an entire Island harmonizes with Giants having their own kingdom in Elbaf. Also Dwarves being super gullable works nicely with Doflamingos theme of manipulation. Doffy could easily have tricked the Dwarves into giving up their kingdoms without Oda having to rely so much on hax devil fruit powers like Sugar for the takeover.

Dwarves and toys were the best part of Dressrosa. Would make no sense to me to take them out or diminish their appearence.

But I agree that Punk Hazard is one of the best post-timeskip arcs. The drawings and pacing are on point. There is a lot of interaction between the strawhats and the island is itself intriguing and interesting to explore. It has connections to many other story threads (Donquixote Family, Kaidou's Smiles, Akainu x Ao Kiji) but the story is never weighed down by them. It's fresh, brief and fun.
    So weird, because when I first read it I didn't like Punk Hazard. But now I can admire these qualities.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

I think the main problem of OP post-TS (beside pacing) is that the arcs have too many things going on at once.

If OP is an RPG, there is a main story quest and side quests every arcs. OP nowadays has too many side quests going on at once the main story quest is dragged out.

I mean, side quests are good for character/world building, but if they drag the main story too much ppl, especially casual readers who I'm sure are the majority of readers, are gonna be impatient.
    Last edited by astagadragon; July 27th, 2021 at 06:49 PM.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

If I were to rework Dressrosa to fix the pacing while trying to keep everything as much the same as possible, I'd simply divide it into three arcs:

- The Corrida Coliseum
    - Green Bit
    - Dressrosa

Essentially, I'd move some of the locations from Dressrosa to a nearby island that is known as a "hive of scum and villainy" where Doflamingo does his shady business. That's where the Coliseum is now located.

First Arc: Corrida Coliseum
    Law's plan is a bit different. He gives Doflamingo one more day to decide to take the deal and quit being a Warlord. While waiting for Doflamingo's decision, the Straw Hats + Law first visit this new island to seek info about the Smile Factory's location, since they must be ready to strike it as soon as they reach Dressrosa. Luffy, Kin'emon, Robin and Franky go on this mission and are expected to take a ferry to Dressrosa before next day.

Meanwhile, the Sunny with the other Straw Hats and Law head to Green Bit so they can be sure they can scout it and prepare for the next stage ahead of time.

So, the Coliseum arc contains:
    - Introduces the competition and the Mera Mera No Mi prize.
    - Rebecca introduction.
    - Goes basicly the same with the Chinjao stuff, introducing Sai, Barto, Cavendish, Burgess
    - Foreshadows the toys by the disappearing competitors
    - Foreshadows Trebol and Sugar
    - Foreshadows Viola keeping an watch on everything
    - Revolutionary stuff goes here, as they act behind the scenes. Sabo and Luffy reunion, Sabo asks to replace Luffy to recover the Mera Mera no Mi.
    - Bellamy actually fights Luffy to assassinate him rather than being taken down off-panel by Dellinger. Bellamy hesitates and gives up, showing he truly changed.
    - Koala getting the secrets behind the weapons trade. Robin, Franky and Kin'emon help her. They find some unclear info that foreshadows the mystery of disappearing people but can't fully understand it.
    - Bellamy is almost killed by Dellinger as punishment, but ends up saved by Barto.
    - In the end, Sabo and Luffy fight off Burgess together away from the coliseum, after Sabo has eaten the Mera Mera no Mi. Burgess is seemly defeated.
    - Sabo and Koala stay in the island to continue their operation to steal the weapons, while Rebecca and Barto join with the Straw Hat group as they move to Dressrosa.

Second Arc: Green Bit
    - Short arc featuring Law as the "replacement main character".
    - Doflamingo resigns from the Warlords
    - Usopp and Zoro go into the island with Law and Caesar.
    - Because of the fighting fish, Sanji, Nami, Momonosuke, Brook and Chopper remain in the Sunny waiting off-shore to retrieve the others.
    - Zoro's sword is taken. Zoro leads to Usopp also getting lost. Dwarf reveal stuff. (No dwarf-in-Robin's-cleavage scene because she's not here in this version)
    - Fujitora is introduced here, appearing out of nowhere and being shown as a mysterious Admiral with unclear perspective on justice. Seems to be on Doflamingo's side.
    - Essentially the 3-way fight between Fujitora, Doflamingo and Law stays the same. Doflamingo targetting the Sunny. Sanji vs. Doflamingo. Caesar back on the ship. Law resumes fight with Doflamingo.
    - Big Mom Pirates appear after Caesar. Slightly more action before Luffy gives them permission to leave for Zou. (Luffy is on route to Dressrosa when they talk via snailphone)
    - Law is defeated and captured.
    - Fujitora's character further fleshed out, has his conversation with Doflamingo about the abolition of the Warlords.
    - Norland connection with dwarves reveZoro and Usopp ally with the dwarves with the "Usolanders" lie.
    - Luffy's group arrives in Dressrosa

Third Arc: Dressrosa
    - Introduction of the toys and the toy soldier.
    - Dressrosa revealed as full of marines.
    - Doflamingo family fully revealed. Bellamy revealed to have been punished for his failure.
    - SOAP operation starts. The nature of Sugar's powers are kept mysterious a bit longer (only explained way later, just before they attack her). Also, we don't know what happened to the coliseum fighters, as they just seemly disappeared completely in the Coliseum arc)
    - Viola changes sides on her own, joins SOAP Operation.
    - Viola leads Soldier, Luffy, Zoro and Kin'emon to the palace to save Riku and Law.
    - Franky acting as distraction as in the original story.
    - Robin, Usopp and the Tontatta infiltrate the factory.
    - Essentially, the rest goes as original story: Sugar reveal, Usopp saves the day (I'd make Usopp vs Trebol a bit more fleshed out), the Coliseum fighters revealed to have been turned into toys all along, Kyros revealed to be Rebecca's father, Doflamingo's game, Kin finds Kanjuro, the Sabo and Koala appear to help with the marines... Essentially, everything stays the almost the same.
    - One of the few key differences is that there's no Burgess in the final act (Burgess is revealed in Baltigo later as in the original, but that's it), which helps make the Luffy recovery and Birdcage shrinking plots feel a bit faster. Sabo just gets occupied with Fujitora longer.
    - Another great change is that we need no Mainard to tarnish the reputation of the Vice-Admirals.

What do you think?
    It's essentially the same thing, but less plots at the same time, and readers get the feeling of the story going faster. Also allows for a bit of fleshing out of some small scenes.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Why didn't Kaido just make himself Shogun of Wano at some point? He has shown that he doesn't need Orochi anyways

He presumably didn't want to micromanage the mines and factories and be personally responsible for keeping the numbers up at those facilities. It's one kind of despotism to simply subdue people through raw might, but it's another kind entirely to forcibly keep a country functional and able profitable on its black market economy. Orochi keeps the weapons in production and stamps out rebellions while Kaido gets to go do pirate shit and/or get drunk all day without sweating the small stuff.

Isn't it more about the fact that Kaido is an outsider (a pirate even) and Orochi is a Wano-ese? That way the local people dont feel like they are surpressed by an outside force, while still resulting in Kaido being in control

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
    Isn't it more about the fact that Kaido is an outsider (a pirate even) and Orochi is a Wano-ese? That way the local people dont feel like they are surpressed by an outside force, while still resulting in Kaido being in control
    Putting his outsider son in charge doesn't make it any better though

The Beast Pirates are one of the weakest elements in the arc. I still don't see them as a unity. I don't see them as other pirate crews, in the sense of imagining Kaidou sailing with Black Maria and ex cp9 Who's-Who in the same ship. I get that the Beast Pirates are a mix of defeated crews, but that doesn't make them feel like they are working together. From their words the Tobbi Roppo barely hang out with their captain. Do they just hang out around Wano or go on little expeditions?

I'm saying that because the relationship between Kaidou and Wano was simply not shown. Does he regularly hang out there? Talk to wanoese? Adopted any of their customs or habits in the 20 years he lived there? How has he in turn influenced Wano? His Onigashima moving plans represent a desire to be closer to it (like when he looked after the fruit of a wano guardian spirit) or does it mean he is over with the country and people?

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    If thats more of the issue that may hint to Yamato being half Wanoese.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    I think the main problem of OP post-TS (beside pacing) is that the arcs have too many things going on at once.

If OP is an RPG, there is a main story quest and side quests every arcs. OP nowadays has too many side quests going on at once the main story quest is dragged out.
    Personally I think this is a good thing about Dressrosa and puts it above Arabasta for me. Arabasta went by too quickly without getting attached to the situation of the country or the rebels but the immense detail of Dressrosa helped me form an emotional attachment to its citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Well, according to todays chapter he had his reasons for picking Yamato for future shogun.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Crocodile and Moria are neither less unapologetically evil than the likes of Doflamingo. Big Mom or even Orochi.
    That's not what I meant. They're obviously evil bastards. But they also have other, positive traits, like Moria braving Blackbeard's lair to get Absalom back, or Crocodile being damaged because he lost his crew. They both care/cared enough about other people to BE affected when they lost them. Can you really see Kaido giving a damn if, say, Jack died? He'd grumble about having to replace him but he wouldn't give a damn emotionally. That's what I mean. Or Doffy, who supposedly cares so much about his family but felt free to order his subordinates to die to save his SAD factory. Villains who have good points versus villains who are just complete dicks with no redeeming qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by rawrfizzz View Post
    Can you really see Kaido giving a damn if, say, Jack died?
    Uh, yes? It wasn't that long ago (Ch. 991) that he went out of his way to protect Jack from getting killed by Sulong Inu and Neko, as well as even refraining from belittling him for losing.

Well, maybe. I just don't see him getting all despondent and changing his life philosophy over it like with Croc and Moria. I think he'd be bummed but then he'd get drunk and forget about it.

I reread Wano act 1 and have to say it's really fantastic. I don't think I got this invested in a setting before in One Piece since probably Arlong Park.
    I think Hiyori might be one of the best female characters Oda has ever done, and Toko might be my favorite adolescent character in the series!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information